Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#2363498 - 12/03/11 01:09 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Paul K]
Phil W Offline
10k Club

Loc: London, England
Scottish Ceilidh gig last night - always fun to see everyone having a laugh trying to dance the steps and most join in - a very communal experience. Bass is mostly roots and fives but I get to jazz up Auld Lang Syne. Only the leader wears a kilt!

In fact, due to building renovations the hall we played had a huge plastic sheet covered hole at the back and we froze - while the audience was hot from dancing the drummer played in a puffer jacket and woolly hat!

BP Island
#2363606 - 12/04/11 07:35 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Phil W]
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Eastern Washington
Played at a local winery with the rock band last night. Not very many people showed up. Good news is the paper had the wrong band listed in the entertainment secion, so I'm attributing the lack of attendance to be due to the other band (Fingers in ears, singing la-la-la-la).

Question to the board - is there a seasonal drop off in attendance this time of year (above and beyond the significant drop in attendance becase people just plain don't go out to drink anymore)?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#2363733 - 12/04/11 06:54 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn]
Tom Capasso Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wantagh ,NY,UNITED STATES
Stonefly has avoided December gigs and the drop-off is one reason. We've played the first weekend in December with some success, but our feeling (unscientific as it is) is that people are busy and money-conscious in December, and recovering financially in January. We prefer to start up in early Feb.

Tom

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

#2363734 - 12/04/11 07:07 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Tom Capasso]
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
I played with a 5 piece variety band at a Country Club's annual Christmas party.

We started off playing standards and mellow tunes. On the first break, we all begged the leader to play more contemporary dance tunes. He said, "look how old these people are, they won't know that stuff and won't dance."

We said, "they're the same age we are". smile

So we hit them with tons of dance music and everyone had a great time.

See you next year!

#2363804 - 12/05/11 04:41 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: jeremy c]
Phil W Offline
10k Club

Haha! I often encounter that perception. Great job!

#2363806 - 12/05/11 04:45 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: jeremy c]
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: jeremy c, OG
He said, "look how old these people are, they won't know that stuff and won't dance."

Priceless.

#2363844 - 12/05/11 08:21 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I had my first gig with Under Command on Friday. We were the 2nd act on a 5-band bill. I only made one major screw up, at the start of the 2nd song. Kind of lost my fingering for a few measures, but recovered quickly. Don't think anyone really noticed. Our sound guy's daughter took some video, which he edited and posted here. Sorry for the sound quality, but you know how it goes.
I used the Les Paul 5 for most of the night; switched to the Lakland for the last song. The Aero pickups in it aren't as high-output as the Les Paul, so I use the clean boost in the HomeBrew Hematoma pedal to balance things out. Well, the volume difference was really noticeable, so much that I had to totally crank the clean boost to compensate. Odd, but you do what you have to do.If I ever get aroudn to getting new pickups for the Schecter T5, that will probably replace the Lakland with this band.
Good crowd, great reception, and the booking agent & other bands liked us. Got a few more gigs and connections for more out of it, so all in all, a good show. I felt bad for the last band, Cerca Trova . The crowd had diminished, as most seemed to be there to see us or the 4th band; but they still put their all into it. Some of the other bands had swagger, but these guys had heart and passion, which went a long way to making them more enjoyable. Good guys to talk with, too. Hope to play with them again.

#2363856 - 12/05/11 09:41 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Danzilla]
Ross Brown Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
nice...

#2363915 - 12/05/11 01:43 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: jeremy c]
Wally Malone Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Boulder Creek,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: jeremy c, OG
I played with a 5 piece variety band at a Country Club's annual Christmas party.

We started off playing standards and mellow tunes. On the first break, we all begged the leader to play more contemporary dance tunes. He said, "look how old these people are, they won't know that stuff and won't dance."

So we hit them with tons of dance music and everyone had a great time.

See you next year!

We should remember that those now in their 70's were teenagers at the beginning of rock & roll!

Wally

Edited by Wally Malone (12/05/11 01:44 PM)

#2363945 - 12/05/11 03:38 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn]
JBFLA Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: SufferNoFools

Question to the board - is there a seasonal drop off in attendance this time of year?

Down here (Palm Beaches) it's the busy season. Lot's of $$$ down from the North for winter with nothing to do but spend it between rounds of golf and tennis matches and dinner at "the club".

June to September are gig killers. You work hard all winter to lock in a house gig for the summer.

#2363967 - 12/05/11 04:41 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Wally Malone]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Originally Posted By: Wally Malone
We should remember that those now in their 70's were teenagers at the beginning of rock & roll!

Wally

My parents are of the appropriate age, but apparently they were dweebs. No! There was no such thing as a dweeb then. They were poindexters.

#2367230 - 12/15/11 09:26 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Paul K]
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Jazz trio out at an assisted living community for the last three evenings. Fisrt night (Tuesday) was awful. Keys had her headsets on, couldn't get anyone happy with the monitor set up, bass arranger running loud enough to turn her low EQ OFF during the first song. No one was together.

Had a long talk with the singer and she had a heart to heart with the keys. Last night (Thursday), the keys programmed the bass arranger on a seperate function key from the percussions - NO BASS ARRANGER!!!! Singer and keys was tight, I was able to walk all over the place without fighting with the canned bass lines. Finally got the monitors lined out and the keys played without headphones all night. Very gratifying.

I was worried about this particular project. It is the one were I get to play the URB all night. The singer and keys are not pros, but technically competent. We carry that amaturish "campy" sound that is popular in the local wineries and coffee houses. I'm glad we're getting our crap together.

Edited by SufferNoFools (12/15/11 09:29 PM)
Edit Reason: Wrong band member.

#2371235 - 01/01/12 08:22 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn]
Richard W Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: near Philly
Played our first New Years Eve gig last night at a place where we've played many times before; the owner likes us.

It was the best 2 and a half sets we've ever played. Even though we had minimal rehearsal time in the weeks before, the band was as tight as we've ever been, including new material. Good volume of dancers, even in the first set. We started the third set at about 11:45, and when midnight approached finished Lay Down Sally and launched into an impromptu Auld Lang Syne. Our first song after that was "Sandy" by Bruce Springsteen, and although it's a slow one, the dance floor was packed with couples doing the slow grind.

After that, the wheels sort of came off. We suddenly got a terrible bass feedback throb. I turned down my amp (which as a direct feed to the board, so the house could still hear it), and so there was little bass to hear on stage. Our lead guitarist was trying desperately to contact our sound guy, but he was not to be seen. We muddled through the last three or four songs--I missed a few cues simply because we couldn't hear anything very well. Fortunately, the crowd appeared sufficiently lubricated that they didn't seem to notice. We wrapped up with After Midnight at about 12:40.

As we were breaking down our gear, it became clear that our sound man was DRUNK. At one point I said to him: "hey, what happened with all that feedback?" and he looked at me and said "what are you talking about?" He hadn't even been aware--perhaps he wandered off to get another drink. I'm still pissed off about it: we paid this guy good money to run our sound. Getting drunk at work is completely unacceptable and if I have any say in the matter he won't work with us again.

Still, I'd say this was our best gig ever and it sure was a hell of a lot of fun.

One other funny thing: during the last set there were two women dancing together, and the more they "danced" the more it seemed as if they were practically having sex on stage--kissing, rubbing, grinding. Well, the band was entertained, let me tell you. laugh

#2371281 - 01/01/12 01:42 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Richard W]
Chad Thorne Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pittston, Maine, USA
Kind of a let-down, actually. Nice place, ski resort; but no snow yet and so we had no more than 20 people in the place at any one time. Including families with little kids having dinner. At one point 3 attractive women got up to dance, but they were dancing with the little kids, so it was fun, but not really the "Dirty Dancing" extravaganza that might have hoped for...

Still, nice place and we got polite applause when people remembered to. The owner likes us and is a stand-up guy, so didn't try to short us on pay because of low receipts.

#2376817 - 01/18/12 04:47 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Chad Thorne]
Phil W Offline
10k Club

I got to sit in with the lovely, all-female band Pakaw playing some 9/4 Greek music...

Then we played a long set. It was a packed house, unfortunately late comers were turned away. Not bad at 12 a ticket. The most chilled out, relaxed, competent sound guy there coping with oud, tablas, tiny Greek baglamas, lots of singers etc.
Here's a medley from Black Sea Turkey (bass comes in in 3rd verse)

And a reggae influenced take on a Sephardic Spanish tune in Ladino.

#2376826 - 01/18/12 05:02 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Phil W]
Phil W Offline
10k Club

Osman Aga!

#2376963 - 01/18/12 10:04 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Phil W]
Richard W Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: near Philly
Phil, these are really cool.

#2377037 - 01/18/12 12:28 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Richard W]
Phil W Offline
10k Club

Thanks Richard!

#2377136 - 01/18/12 07:07 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Phil W]
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
Nice playing, Phil!

Did you hear what the Greek bandleader said to the drummer?
"Keep it simple, just play the backbeat on 3 and 10"

#2377268 - 01/19/12 07:49 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: jeremy c]
Phil W Offline
10k Club

Thanks Jeremy

#2380441 - 01/28/12 06:20 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Phil W]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I played a jazz gig last night. Like, the first one in two years or more. Sax-Keys-bass. Glad to report that I can still play jazz. It was kinda cool not having a drummer; more space, less dB. It worked well in the snooty wine place we played at.

I did have plenty of help with the roadie chores.

#2380442 - 01/28/12 06:23 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Paul K]
Tom Capasso Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wantagh ,NY,UNITED STATES
Of course you could play jazz. Your "hip" level is vastly improved!!

Glad to hear that you could do this - great news!

Tom

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

#2380455 - 01/28/12 07:23 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Tom Capasso]
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Paul - does your keys run a percussion track or is it straight keys?

#2380463 - 01/28/12 08:18 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Straight keys, so lots of space for me to play a lot of notes. Which is good, because being subtle is not my forte.

#2380478 - 01/28/12 09:10 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Paul K]
Groove Mama Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Awesome, Paul! Good for you. Man, what a speedy recovery! thu

#2380507 - 01/28/12 11:28 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Paul K]
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Paul K
Straight keys, so lots of space for me to play a lot of notes. Which is good, because being subtle is not my forte.

<Sighs a heavy sigh because he wishes his keyboard player could do the same>

#2380516 - 01/28/12 11:52 AM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Groove Mama]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Funkslap Mama
Awesome, Paul! Good for you. Man, what a speedy recovery! thu

Thanks. But remember, all I had to do was sit there and play bass.

This keyboard player is pretty special. Usually, I piss and moan about key players insisting on using all ten fingers all the time. But this cat is a multi-instrumentalist. He plays a decent sax, clarinet, tuba, piano, and bass. For basses, he has an electric and a Ned Upright. He's not stellar on any one instrument, but he's a real smart guy who has the ability to zoom out and see the whole picture. And he's easy to be around in spite of the fact that he's a lawyer;)

Yes. He plays tuba also, so how bad could he be?

#2380528 - 01/28/12 12:35 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Paul K]
Wally Malone Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Boulder Creek,CA,UNITED STATES
Great to see your out gigging already Paul!

Wally

#2380725 - 01/29/12 01:36 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: Wally Malone]
BEMcCut Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi, everyone. I post more often on the Keyboard Corner. Since I play Bass and Keys in my current band I thought I would post this here. We played a local bar last night. The owners have driven lots of customers away. Our usual crowd showed up and packed the place. The owner is calling the drummer to book more jobs today. In spite of us not playing as well as we can and the sound guy sucking, it turned out well.

#2380731 - 01/29/12 01:54 PM Re: Gig Reports - How did your gig go? [Re: BEMcCut]
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

What presumes that the owners won't drive your usual crowd away?

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >