Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil SP6

Just a comment on the noise. Its not whisper quiet but it certainly not what I would call noisy. I can't hear it above even fairly low volume in my house. But if I turn the volume all the way down yes, I can hear it especially if I am playing hard. But I think my old casio px-330 was about the same volume wise. Dave W's video surprised me because mine is nowhere near what the video mic is picking up. Action wise this beats that old casio. To me its similar to the Yamaha action on my old MOX8. I have done about 5 gigs with it and am quite happy with it.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me its similar to the Yamaha action on my old MOX8.

Yes, I think I mentioned early on that I thought the KA90 was kind of similar to the MOX8, and the KA90 action is in the SP6... though it can certainly still feel somewhat different depending on how they mate the action to the sounds in terms of velocity curve, at least.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Understood. My best shop in the area never has Kurz on the floor unless its on consignment. Nords only on occasion - typically one and they sell the floor model, no stock. Plenty of Roland and Yamaha but only a few pro models. Casio, Kawai - only the home consoles and starter instruments.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

who knows if it'll "break in" after a couple hundred hours.

I am skeptical about reports that any actions break in, but especially hammer action boards, whose resistance is not dependent on a coiled spring.

Yeah I agree with that. Guess I didn't want to make a definitive statement either way and be proven wrong. :laugh:

To me its similar to the Yamaha action on my old MOX8.

Yes, from memory of the MOX8 a few years ago, I would tend to agree. Like everything else, feels like the budget version of a very high-end board.

For almost everything I do, the price/weight factor significantly outperforms the slight drop-off in features from a Forte/Montage/RD-2000/etc.

Yes to me it is a Forte SE in a plastic case, budget keybed and knobs instead of sliders, for $1200 less! The 2GB memory, presets, polyphony and effects are identical.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Great sounding board for a one-board solution! Love the action, love the light weight and big sounds. If I am in need of anything else, I can stack either a Hammond clone or a synth board for a second-tier setup and have a killer lightweight rig for just about anything!

I wonder if there are any plans for a 76 note version? For gigging I just don't need 88 keys and it makes for really tight squeezes on our often-tiny stages. Other than that this is really intriguing.

The only problem with 76 keys is that there aren't many weighted, hammer-action keybeds, if any. The whole allure of the SP6 is the great sounds, light weight, and graded hammer-action--just like a piano.

Has anyone used the sound editor (iOS or pc)? Mine doesnt seem to work very well when editing multis, and it wont let me access user multis. I have updated the SP6 to to the latest OS. (Oops! Got it working!)
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

The only problem with 76 keys is that there aren't many weighted, hammer-action keybeds, if any. The whole allure of the SP6 is the great sounds, light weight, and graded hammer-action--just like a piano.

I loved my old Ensoniq KT-76 back in the 90s, fully weighted Fatar hammer action. I thought of it often when I worked on the Forte7, also with 76 note fully weighted action. 41lbs and fits in a 61 note case.

I have not heard any reports of any other versions of SP6 though I'd of course be happy to see a 76. I think for now they've been selling so many 88 note models that they haven't had time to come up for air. (Which is a lovely problem to have in such a low-volume industry.)

I still fondly remember my KS32. Astonishing piano patch for 1MB (megabyte!) of sample memory.

Would love to see a SP6-7 hammer action. And a Roland RD73/A73. And something like a Korg SP280/73 (they've got the LP380/73 with the keybed from the SV1/73, so it's not a huge leap to make a stage model). It's a bigger leap for Yamaha, who don't have a track record of sub-88 hammers.

I'm not holding my breath though - which is why I'm awaiting the Studiologic SL73 at my favo(u)rite music store. Apparently they've had a lot of interest in that board...

Cheers, Mike.

Or why not just get the SP6? I was worried about going back to 88 as I had been gigging with the Hammond SK1-73 which is about 45" long and fits in some tight spots, especially in a 7 piece country band. However, on that one the light action is lacking for playing "real" piano, and the SP6 is only 52" and works great for piano, Hammond or electric piano. If I want any more serious B3, I can use a dual tier rig with the Sk1 on top. I am loving the SP6 the more I play it, and have already fit it on some tight stages!

If you want a 76 note fully weighted action, a used Nord Stage 2 HA76 might fit the bill. Action is a TP40, and it can hold a useful number of updated pianos. That was the last year Nord put their best piano action in a shorter keyboard. (I own one, but recently acquired an SP6 as a potential replacement; the jury is still out.)
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

If you want a 76 note fully weighted action, a used Nord Stage 2 HA76 might fit the bill. Action is a TP40, and it can hold a useful number of updated pianos. That was the last year Nord put their best piano action in a shorter keyboard. (I own one, but recently acquired an SP6 as a potential replacement; the jury is still out.)

I hadn't really seen the SP6 as any kind of Nord Stage equivalent, since the Nord is so much about real time control. But I guess I could see, if someone really only used the Nord's controls to create the sounds ahead of time but mostly just called up presets when in actual performance, then yeah, the SP6 could have some functional equivalence, it is at least similar in the broad sense of being a "stage piano" with an organ engine and a VA engine under the hood.

As for other 7x key weighted actions, besides various Nords and the aforementioned Forte 7, Korg and Dexibell make some.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Scott, yes, the Nord allows you to tweak and build in real time, and I already feel nostalgic about that when I am setting up multis, as Kurzweil calls patches. The trade off for me is Kurzweil sounds, including multilevel samples, and I am warming to the action. Ill be nervously auditioning it at a trio jazz gig Sunday as a potential substitute for my CP4, too.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

Or why not just get the SP6?
Simply because an 88 won't get in my car.

If you want a 76 note fully weighted action, a used Nord Stage 2 HA76 might fit the bill.
I'd be happy with a "Classic" Stage HA76, but they're as rare as hens teeth, and priced accordingly. I came close to buying one from a fellow forumite, but the shipping charges made it cost-prohibitive.

Cheers, Mike.

This may not be a solution you like, but, you can get an 88 into any car by putting it in the front passenger seat footwell, leaning it on the headrest, and putting the seatbelt on it. Of course, any passengers would be relegated to the back seat, but that's what I've done on occasion. My $0.02.

Kurzweil PC4

Thanks @Rockinredeye I have tried that and in my car I can get an 88 through the front door aperture. But it's an awkward lift over the sill into the footwell. Admittedly I've only tried with my 44lb Oberheim MC1000, but I'd really like to have something that fits in my boot/trunk.

[i'm derailing this thread , because I just need a controller, not a SP6 or other "stage piano plus" - still why break the habit of a lifetime].

Cheers, Mike.

• 1 year later...
When you assemble 4-zone multis, can you specify MSB/LSB (Bank+Program) Program Changes to send out independently to four channels of attached external MIDI sound sources?

• 7 months later...

I have an Sp6 that so far has met all of my needs

However, last night at rehearsal,

3 octaves of Eb and G, (6 tones total),

made no sound at all.

Naturally, I have a gig tomorrow, (Saturday), night.

Can anyone give me some guidance.direction

On what I can do to repair this ASAP.

Many thanks from Chicago