Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2932473 - 06/12/18 05:17 PM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: SteveCoscia]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: SteveCoscia
Something else that works with the hospice crowd is a brief oral history of a song (i.e. composition year, the show from which the song came, the composer's background, etc. etc.). The audience enjoys the verbal break between songs and it adds a little lighthearted variety.

This oral interplay evolved over time and they like it.

+1

Taking it further, you could take them on a trip through time, starting with music from the 30's and play through the decades.

KC Island
#2932494 - 06/12/18 08:26 PM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: MathOfInsects]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
While I agree with the "don't overthink it, music is music" wing of the party, I would maybe think twice before playing "Another One Bites the Dust."

I would also add "Killing me Softly" to the no-go list.

#2932496 - 06/12/18 08:29 PM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: DulceLabs.com]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: DulceLabs.com
While I agree with the "don't overthink it, music is music" wing of the party, I would maybe think twice before playing "Another One Bites the Dust."

Or I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight.

#2932503 - 06/12/18 11:51 PM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: MathOfInsects]
Jazzmammal Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
These suggestions are good but I will repeat what someone said earlier, hospice is not an old folks nursing home. News articles are full of people of all ages who are dying of various terminal illnesses. A friend my mine is 46 and just finished three courses of chemo with stage 4 cancer. The first one nearly killed him until they adjusted the dose and timing the flow. So far so good but he may also be headed for hospice.

Just show up and see who's there then decide on the tunes.

Bob

#2932524 - 06/13/18 05:27 AM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: MathOfInsects]
bennyray Online   content
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: DulceLabs.com

Or I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight.

Don't let me Down by the Beatles?

#2932541 - 06/13/18 06:53 AM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: SteveCoscia]
rickp Offline

Jeff, I play every quarter or so at a facility that sounds very similar to the venue you've described but with some nursing home attendees as well, and although it is structured to be 90 minutes, it always goes well over 2 hours. It has evolved into being fully interactive with a totally "by request" playing by ear format, sans music or setlist.

Probably a full 2/3 of the requested songs are hymns. The group that requests "wartime" WWII songs is, sadly, quickly dwindling. Knowing a song or two by Elvis, Sinatra, Nelson Riddle, Floyd Cramer, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Streisand, Neil Diamond (this group nails "Sweet Caroline"), Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Andrews Sisters, Perry Como, Pat Boone, Connie Francis, Dean Martin, Peggy Lee, Tony Bennett, Doris Day, Nat King Cole and/or Connie Francis will get you a long way. Songs from their youth are requested much more often than songs from their later years.

If I don't know something requested, sometimes one or two of them will collaborate to hum or sound it out, and they're very content with and appreciative of a sincere effort to try to first peck out the melody and then add more structure with each verse/chorus. The quality of the interaction and of having their requests valued seems to mean far more to them than the actual quality of the music - which I hope is mostly good but admittedly sometimes suffers from lack of familiarity or from having to pull through so many mental cobwebs.

The smiles and thanks at the end of the session are priceless. If you feel comfortable with a "by request" format, I think you'll be very happy with the result.

#2932607 - 06/13/18 01:02 PM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: rickp]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Yep. Don't over think it. But, try not to make it sound like a funeral service either.

Avoid playing "I Won't Complain", "His Eye is on the Sparrow" and "Precious Lord". laugh cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2932840 - 06/14/18 08:26 PM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: SteveCoscia]
SteveVasil Offline

Loc: GA, USA
Two Sleepy People, Georgia on my Mind, Stardust, or something else by Hoagie Carmichael. Hoagie Carmichael attended law school(Maurer School of Law in Bloomington Indiana, same school my son attended) before becoming a songwriter. He appeared in a few movies also. Aint Misbehavin is nice. Page 43, which was on a Crosby/Nash album. It may be ideal to be genuine and respectful.

#2932903 - 06/15/18 08:07 AM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: SteveVasil]
mediocrepianist Offline

My Neck, My Back?

https://youtu.be/MdIPj7xANm0

On a more serious note if it's going to be a regular gig ask them what they'd like to hear you play and go away and learn some of the ones thy suggest that you can play in future elsewhere for the next time your in.

#2934598 - 06/25/18 03:00 PM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: jeffinpghpa]
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
Today, I played another hospice gig. They're all good.

Today's audience was mixed. Some engaged, some over-medicated. All appreciative. I'm not a singer, so I ask questions and convey tune, composer background and their career anecdotes. "Who was born in the 1930s?", I ask. A bunch of hands go up and what follows is a back and forth of old standards and show tunes.

During the set, I noticed an elderly woman on my left. She was quiet.
Never spoke or raised her hand, but she smiled, nodded her head in tempo and made eye contact during the set. She seemed sweet.

When I was all done and the piano was packed up, I walked over to this sweet woman and asked, "Tell me your name?" She shyly answered, "Me?" And she seemed so surprised. I nodded yes. She said her name and I thanked her. "I could have listened to you all day," she said.

Better than a paycheck.

#2934601 - 06/25/18 03:20 PM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: SteveCoscia]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES

When I was all done and the piano was packed up, I walked over to this sweet woman and asked, "Tell me your name?" She shyly answered, "Me?" And she seemed so surprised. I nodded yes. She said her name and I thanked her. "I could have listened to you all day," she said.

Better than a paycheck.

Yes, yes and yes. You helped lift another person's burdens. No price tag on that.

#2934815 - 06/26/18 07:53 PM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: timwat]
SteveO42 Offline

They love the old tunes. Show tunes, standards They will love you...

Edited by SteveO42 (06/27/18 06:21 AM)

#2935330 - 06/29/18 01:27 PM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: Synthaholic]
dreamer65 Offline

Now thats a playlist !
Originally Posted By: Synthaholic
Moon River
Young At Heart
Last Date
Wave
Tennessee Waltz
Love Me Tender
Im So Lonesome I Could Cry
Lets Get Away From It All
Jamaica Farewell
Song Sung Blue
South Of The Border
L-O-V-E
Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime
What A Wonderful World
Crazy
Always On My Mind

#2935386 - 06/29/18 11:05 PM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: dreamer65]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Loc: West Virginia
ProfD touched on it (with his avoid list) but I suspect that a lot of hospice folks would love it if you opened a "standard" protestant hymnal and just played from it.
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2935418 - 06/30/18 08:40 AM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: dreamer65]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
Originally Posted By: dreamer65
Now thats a playlist !
Originally Posted By: Synthaholic
Moon River
Young At Heart
Last Date
Wave
Tennessee Waltz
Love Me Tender
Im So Lonesome I Could Cry
Lets Get Away From It All
Jamaica Farewell
Song Sung Blue
South Of The Border
L-O-V-E
Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime
What A Wonderful World
Crazy
Always On My Mind

Thanks. I do this type of work frequently.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2935426 - 06/30/18 09:40 AM Re: Music selections for solo piano at a hospice [Re: SteveCoscia]
SteveO42 Offline

Today, I played another hospice gig. They're all good.

Today's audience was mixed. Some engaged, some over-medicated. All appreciative. I'm not a singer, so I ask questions and convey tune, composer background and their career anecdotes. "Who was born in the 1930s?", I ask. A bunch of hands go up and what follows is a back and forth of old standards and show tunes.

During the set, I noticed an elderly woman on my left. She was quiet.
Never spoke or raised her hand, but she smiled, nodded her head in tempo and made eye contact during the set. She seemed sweet.

Better than a paycheck.

That is so wonderful !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner