Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Seven

Since this is thread about a keyboard that stands on its own legs and, in part because of that, presents a different sort of look, it's fair and relevant to talk about to what extent that matters. But at the end of the day, it's subjective and personal even moreso than all the other subjective and personal stuff we discuss on this forum.

I think the interesting aspect of this isn't so much whether we, as players, prefer a more substantial and/or a more vintage look, which is so subjective as you say, but rather to what extent we feel that this kind of visual presentation decision affects the perceptions of the audiences we play to.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's all about the tune, not the look.

And, for the record, I think "Quando, Quando, Quando" by Murph and the Magic Tones at the Holiday Inn is totally dope. That's the kind of tune we would call on my Wednesday night gig.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Mine came home with one size fits all -type legs. Read: you have to sit or be like 150 cm tall to stand.

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

Id imagine ideally the keyboard itself should be about 26 to 29 from the floor. Is that what we are seein here? Youd obviously use an adjustable bench, chair, drum throne what have you to get you where it feels best.

I just finished a piano gig using an X stand and slab digital with a typical stackable chair and it wasnt great. I needed to get my arse up a few inches for lack of flexibility in the X stand or chair - I used a throw pillow.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I wonder if the legs from a Fender Rhodes Stage would screw into the SEVEN? Aren't the legs from the Rhodes Stage telescopic and can extend long enough to play while standing???

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

I wonder if the legs from a Fender Rhodes Stage would screw into the SEVEN?

if the threads are the same, then yes. However since one was manufactured in the USA and one is manufactured in Europe I would speculate not.

Aren't the legs from the Rhodes Stage telescopic and can extend long enough to play while standing???

The 2 front legs on a Rhodes stage model were/are telescopic. If they are extended enough a player can play standing. However this puts the keyboard at an angle that makes it difficult to keep a second keyboard on top from sliding off.

:nopity:

• 2 weeks later...

Also waiting, but plan on using Traynor K4 (stereo KB amp).

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

BTW, anyone know what the holdup is? Impulse buyers like me should never be given time to rethink their purchasing decisions :).

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted let the forum know that my Seven has arrived and all is well with the world.

I find the action really sweet. Better than the other TP100's I've played. It does feel significantly more substantial and smoother than the TP100 in my Numa Stage.

The sounds are all really great with the modeled piano being the weak link. A little too twangy, almost like an electric grand model. I hate electric grands with a passion.

I am really high on this board. The only real negatives are the piano sound, the legs and the sheer bulk of this thing. It's not just heavy but big and boxy like a refrigerator. It would be painful to have to routinely gig with it.

As for me, I bought it more to play at the house, jam sessions, parties and maybe the occasional gig. I've got lighter boards to gig with, they don't sound as good but a Numa Stage is so much smaller, lighter and easier to move and load into the car. The Seven is like a Lane Bryant model, plus-sized and oh so sweet but best enjoyed at home.

The legs, while looking cool and setting up the keys at a good height, don't have a lot of lateral rigidity. Playing just about anything gets it shimmying sideways like Katherine Hepburn after washing down a handful of Adderall with Mountain Dew and it is annoying. I will be getting a Z-stand for it. The legs on my Nord C1 were much better. The rear legs on the Nord were V-braced to the middle of the board and provided a solid playing experience. That is one thing Nord got right with the C1. The Crumar's legs stink by comparison.

For an EP the Seven is really great. Awesome key to sound connection. Easy controls and lit up like a Christmas tree.

I've played it through PA speakers and my Traynor K4. The Seven comes alive and is in full bloom when played through the K4. The powered PA speakers suck the life out of the board.

It's a gorgeous board with unbelievable Rhodes and Wurly. This is truly a musical instrument great finger-key-sound connection. The legs aren't quite as well thought out but it is only a minor inconvenience (it played better on my X-stand).

Good to hear, MGP. I'm back on the Seven train as of last week, put in an order now waiting for the next shipment.

I canceled my prior order and got the Mojo 61 instead figuring would be more useful to me for gigging and I still think that's correct. Assuming I keep the Seven, I'll probably keep gigging with the Mojo+lower manual but occasionally with the Seven when logistics are friendly.

Too bad about the legs a wobbling keboard is no good.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Hmmm, my experience has been totally different. I got mine Wed. (6/6) from Kraft music. Got the bundle with seat, headphones, and a couple of cables. I found it to be completely stable on it's legs with no lateral motion. In fact, because the legs extend slightly outward to the side, It would be difficult for it to move side-to-side. It does NOT need braces and the only reason I could see for putting it on a stand would be if the height was wrong for your setup or playing style (Standing vs sitting). I also have a Traynor K4 and while it sounds good through the tube channel on the K4, I think it sounds better through my EV SXA250's (but I did run it through an analog mixer to the PA). Also confused about the 'legs' on the Nord C1. I have a C1 and C2D and I don't recall either coming with legs. I have mine on a table stand to accomodate pedals. Did I get shortchanged when I purchased mine? Just curious.

One last thing; this is subjective I know, but the thing I like least about my SEVEN is the keybed. It's way to stiff for my liking. Years of playing mostly organs and synths have probably made my fingers weak but I would have preferred a lighter action as I find it difficult to play expressively when half the keys don't sound when I play delicately. Hopefully, they'll 'break in' and my finger strength will increase as I play it more. One thing I do agree on though, is that the sound is fabulous. Also seems I got the last one available from this batch.

One last thing; this is subjective I know, but the thing I like least about my SEVEN is the keybed. It's way to stiff for my liking.

TP100 takes some adjustment. Give it a week and you'll probably be feeling much better about it.

BTW, legs for the Nord are always a special order, not included with any of their keyboards.

This leg issue is something that needs chiming Im from Crumar. I would be surprised its a design flaw, sounds more like an assembly issue. If the leg sockets are angled correctly and the legs firmly screwed into place, why would the instrument wobble? Unless the legs need some cross bar support?

There is near 0 motion from the Seven on legs in this video. Granted he doesnt dig in like many piano players do, but an X stand would be much shakier than what we see here.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yeah haven't seen evidence of wobbling in any videos and I've watched them all. MGP may want to make sure he's screwed in properly. I'd be mighty disappointed if the Seven couldn't be played on it's legs, that's a big part of the stage appeal.

I find the action really sweet. Better than the other TP100's I've played. It does feel significantly more substantial and smoother than the TP100 in my Numa Stage.

The Numa Stage was the first TP100 I played that I thought had a decent feel. It was also the first TP100 I played that had a 3-sensor design. The odd thing was, I could not coax 3-sensor behavior out of it, and I was never able to determine for certain whether it was an inherent flaw or if my unit was defective. I'm curious, can you actually get 3-sensor behavior out of your Stage? That is, without having the sustain pedal depressed, can you play a note, and then lift the key and re-trigger that same note without lifting it so high that the note is silenced before the re-trigger? (And I assume you can do that on the Seven?)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

(And I assume you can do that on the Seven?)

Yes, you can.

Crumar Mojo 61 Rhodes can too.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Crumar Mojo 61 Rhodes can too.

Seriously? I wasn't aware of any 3-sensor implementation in a non-hammer board.

This leg issue is something that needs chiming Im from Crumar. I would be surprised its a design flaw, sounds more like an assembly issue. If the leg sockets are angled correctly and the legs firmly screwed into place, why would the instrument wobble? Unless the legs need some cross bar support?

There is near 0 motion from the Seven on legs in this video. Granted he doesnt dig in like many piano players do, but an X stand would be much shakier than what we see here.

[video:youtube]

Man.....maybe just me but that clip, while well played, does zero for me sonically....

Man.....maybe just me but that clip, while well played, does zero for me sonically....

It's not just you.

If the leg sockets are angled correctly and the legs firmly screwed into place, why would the instrument wobble? Unless the legs need some cross bar support?

I´d say, ALL such legs want some crossbar support,- like the real Rhodes´ legs did.

In addition,- over time, the sockets will get some play and probably wear out a bit too and the same can happen to the leg´s threads.

I only say because of experiences w/ real (Fender) Rhodes pianos in the past.

A.C.