Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2931784 - 06/08/18 12:34 AM Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly"
poserp Offline

When I play my guitar unplugged, I have no problem keeping a relatively light touch and thus maintaining a certain agility. However, as soon as I hear my guitar through an amp, even when I'm playing by myself and I know nobody can hear, my hands tend to clamp down like a vise on the strings and I end up with a bunch of takes that sound as ham-fisted as they are. And, of course, my fingers hurt after about 15 minutes, when unplugged I can practice for a couple of hours before I get to that point. I've had this issue pretty much for as long as I can remember, but it wasn't until recently that I realized this is the main reason why I never sound good through an amp (duh!), and one of the reasons why, despite playing guitar for 30 or so years now, I've never recorded anything I really liked (even though unplugged I like what I hear, at least some of the time). It happens when I'm recording, or just practicing, or whatever.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this happen, and then you got over it? I've been trying recently to consciously say things like "lighten up", and I will for a minute, but then it's back to jaws-hands.

My Soundware (Kurzweil PC3)http://pksoundware.blogspot.com/

My Kurzweil PC3 Tutorials http://www.youtube.com/user/poserp.

GP Island
#2931801 - 06/08/18 04:33 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: poserp]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Well, I don't play an electric( don't have one) but I getcha.

But I suppose MY tendency to "clamp down" on my strings is a holdover habit from all the years the action of my strings was pretty bad. And I'll add that since my TIA( "mini" stroke) about four years ago, that habit has probably been a huge factor in slowing down my progress at getting back to where I was, by tiring me out faster.
Whitefang

#2931824 - 06/08/18 08:04 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
After 30 years, I think you should have figured it out by now Poserp! Just kidding around with you. I think it's more of a mental block than anything if you like what you hear unplugged. Try recording yourself playing unplugged or plugged in with a line out where you can't hear the amp. Then listen and get something you like on tape. Slowly increase the volume while playing along with your self until you feel comfortable at higher volumes...just a thought on how I might tackle the issue (if I had that issue).

Playing at higher volumes in front of an audience is not always easy and something you have to get used to (at least we did back in the day before mic'ing everything was available). I prefer playing at normal volumes and hope I don't have to crank it up to be heard (sans PA and monitors). Good luck with it and I hope you can lose that claw problem. An easy to play electric guitar with low action should allow you to lighten up and enjoy what you hear. Then pick up an acoustic and see if you can lighten up on it too...have fun! cool

#2931829 - 06/08/18 08:22 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: Larryz]
poserp Offline

Thanks for the advice. I don't have this issue with public speaking (I did debate in high school, since then I've been able to speak without notes in front of any size of a group of people I've encountered), or with singing in public. I do try to speak without a microphone if I can avoid it, but I don't get "mic fright" when I have to use one. The problem I've had in the past playing plugged in but without hearing what I'm recording is noise -- fret noise, string noise, not muting, and so on. That's a fault of my technique, to be sure, it just seems weird that this mostly happens with guitar (I've done some synth stuff in front of people, and some DJing, again without too many issues aside from occasionally being nervous). For awhile I thought it was "red-light fright", as I tend to record a fair amount when I play, but I've done hours of practicing with no tape running and I still clamp down. My first thought is my mind likes to hear the string, so if I can't hear the string then I play a lot harder so I can hear the string. I will try doing lower volume, that might be a way around it (if I can hear the strings and the amp at the same time).

#2931840 - 06/08/18 09:00 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: poserp]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Poserp, One of the hardest things about doing acoustic open mic's is the lack of monitors and being able to hear yourself...you just have to pray that the sound guys can make you sound good. But, I do a hell of a lot better when I can hear myself singing and playing. Try turning your amp around and face it toward you and use it as a monitor. If you can easily hear yourself, you won't play as hard. If you were playing on stage and they mic'ed your amp, you could do the same thing and turn it up to where you can hear yourself. The sound guys will turn your PA output channel to the audience to the right volume for you...I'm guessing you just need to hear yourself better. cool

#2931847 - 06/08/18 09:22 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: Larryz]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Set up a guitar with 9-42 or lighter with the action razor low to the point if you don't play with a light touch then you choke out the guitar.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2931858 - 06/08/18 09:47 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: CEB]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CEB
Set up a guitar with 9-42 or lighter with the action razor low to the point if you don't play with a light touch then you choke out the guitar.

That's what I'm back to... 008s on Fenders... and I'm very happy. Let the amps do the work.

#2931860 - 06/08/18 10:08 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

poserp, what kind of amp do you use? What pedals?

You seem to have the opposite problem of everybody else on the planet, here...

When I experience this, it's from either not being able to hear myself or subconsciously trying to compensate for not getting the tone I want... on acoustic or electric, and this is why I've assembled the equipment I have to get me through any gig, no matter how quietly I have to play...

like, I had to do a Bowie Ziggy tribute thing a few years ago, on a small stage, with a very quiet drummer and rotating singers who all antsy about hearing themselves way above everything... and I have to sound like Mick Ronson and his Marshall Major 200 watt full stack in that environment!!! My little AC15 wasn't turned up loud enough for the tubes to really get cooking and responsive... so I "cascaded" dirt pedals... a THD Quintet passive tone pedal to crank the midrange (I tried using a Wah pedal left in the center, but in that cramped environment a cable would hit it and change the sound 50 times a song) into a Xotic EP booster into Crowther Hotcake, then solos got a Lovepedal Eternity Burst... all of this aimed at my head from the leaned back amp but not at an acceptible volume for everybody else... and mic'ed and pumped through the PA it sounded HUGE and ballsy.

For acoustic gigs, I tried out preamps until I found a couple for different situations... I wasn't happy with how the under-saddle pickups sound plugged straight into a PA... I can stand to listen to very few acoustic acts locally because of that plinky "amplified yard rake" sound... but it's to the point that people think that's what acoustic guitars are supposed to sound like...

#2931873 - 06/08/18 12:17 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: p90jr]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I think the title of your post takes us to the real issue at hand: this is about your mind-set when you approach the Guitar in certain situations, not about your ability to play, or even to play with a degree of restraint. You're trying to trick yourself into doing something differently, but the real answer is training yourself to respond, or react, differently.

I might suggest going the opposite direction, depending on the Guitar model in question; heavier strings and heavy picks. I'm thinking strings that push back a bit, or at least strings that you can't crush just by grabbing hold of a barre chord. Having the strings push back might give you a bit more confidence (if that's the right word) in your grip, let you ease up a little?

Heavy picks mean you're not wasting energy when your pick hits the strings: they can also get loud, or even make a percussive 'clicking' when you hit the strings. (V-picks are notorious for this.) Having a loud, heavy pick might get you to dial back a bit on your right-hand technique.

If all of this seems counter-intuitive, I get that. Last suggestion - pick up a Nylon-string Guitar, and play it. Sure, you can get primitive playing true Flamenco style, but try playing simple Blues-Rock tunes with a flatpick, see how that feels. Good luck, and let us know if anything helps.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2931877 - 06/08/18 12:59 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Haven't read past the OP yet but that sounds like the sort of thing that affects new players, although you've been playing for a while.
It can take yrs to develop certain aspects of technique.

Let me, uh, axe grin facepalm you a couple...
How much do you play overall & in what contexts?
How regularly do you play w/others ?

#2931882 - 06/08/18 01:29 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: p90jr]
poserp Offline

Originally Posted By: p90jr

That's changed a lot over time; I've played acoustics, various electrics (strats, teles, ibanez shredders, etc) classical, steel-string acoustic, and various basses. I generally don't clamp down too much with bass (which is another weird thing), but it does happen a bit. I have no problem hearing the amp, what I think is happening is my mind wants to hear the string on the guitar itself, which of course with a cranked amp isn't going to happen. One thing I haven't tried is louder clean tones vs distorted tones -- maybe with a clean sound I'll be less inclined to "dig in"? Again, I've only noticed this recently -- I've literally been playing for decades and couldn't figure out why, the handful of times I've played live, I couldn't move around the neck like I could when practicing.

It's like my brain thinks I can't get the attack or "attitude" I want unless I really whack the strings (I fret with my left-hand, pick with my right, and tend to use both too hard). I'm not a fan of huge amounts of distortion; I used to be, but now I'm more of a "tone" person and I like to hear articulation and differences in how/where I strike a note. It could be that I'm not hearing the range that I'm used to out of an amp as opposed to when I play unplugged. Unplugged, I feel like I have a real "connection" to the instrument. Plugged in, it's like there's a "layer" there. I like the sound (my sonic space is in the Beck/Johnson/Buchanan area) I've had in the past and that I have now (amplification has varied widely; I had a modded Subway Rocket that I used for years, now I use a Digitech RP360 through whatever speakers happen to be available). Or, I should say I like the sound when I'm not trying to do anything that requires any amount of agility. It's just strange to turn on the amp and suddenly realize I'm trying to wring the life out of my guitar's neck (or break the strings when I pick).

Currently I play with 011's on a Tele. I've had the guitar set up, frets dressed, and all of that so it plays nice. I don't have to fret hard at all to get a note to sound properly unplugged. But this issue is consistent, regardless of guitar -- again, I've played Ibanez shredders with super-low actions and it's the same thing. No amp, I'm fine. Turn on amp/speakers, and suddenly my fingertips are going white because I'm pressing too hard and hammering away at the strings with the pick. If I'm playing fingerstyle, same thing, just now my right-hand fingers are getting shredded too as I over-emphasize my "touch".

My playing times have varied widely over the years, I generally get in about an hour a day now, I used to woodshed more and do 4-hour sessions. I've jammed with people in the past and played live a couple of times, but I never felt like I sounded good so I stopped doing that. So for the last few years it's been mostly solo playing at home.

Edited by poserp (06/08/18 01:36 PM)

#2931886 - 06/08/18 02:22 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: poserp]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The prob here's not the gtr or the pedals or any of that, is it ?
It's something to do w/poserp's experience.

I think the main thing that's wrong is playing alone too much.
Nothing helps a player like interaction.

#2931933 - 06/08/18 08:40 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Let's see now:

1. You play mostly solo
2. You like hearing a clean string on the guitar
3. You like playing unplugged
4. You like playing 11's
5. You like playing without amplification
6. You play with a pick and/or finger style
7. You have an electric Tele but can't play it lightly

Somehow, I see a new acoustic guitar in your future! cool

#2931983 - 06/09/18 07:51 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Larryz
Let's see now:

1. You play mostly solo
2. You like hearing a clean string on the guitar
3. You like playing unplugged
4. You like playing 11's
5. You like playing without amplification
6. You play with a pick and/or finger style
7. You have an electric Tele but can't play it lightly

Somehow, I see a new acoustic guitar in your future! cool

Maybe a nice hollow-body?

http://www.novparolo.com

#2932075 - 06/09/18 08:22 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 Hollow Body, Archtop, Acoustic, anything you can play and hear without having to use an amp. Most of them have on-board electronics, so you can plug them in at a later date once you get over not gripping them too tightly... thu

#2932081 - 06/09/18 11:37 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Plugged-in, try practicing or just plain playing for the fun of it for brief bits at a time, very deliberately focusing on using a light touch.

Begin each little session by calmly exhaling and thinking about what sound and feel you enjoy about what you're playing. Do this for a bit, then take a break.

Relax. Enjoy. Repeat at your leisure.

Make a point of practicing and playing plugged-in EVERY time, so that it becomes the norm for you, as opposed to playing un-plugged.

Allow yourself to accept that it's OK to make mistakes now and then, and that just how good your "best" is will vary from time to time- relax and let go of feeling that you have to always be perfect and meeting some level of perfection. Don't let imperfections and mistakes make you tense-up. Enjoy yourself. And just remember, your guitar was made from happy little trees. wink

wave

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2932092 - 06/10/18 05:21 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: p90jr]
CEB Offline
10k Club

That's what I'm back to... 008s on Fenders... and I'm very happy. Let the amps do the work.

Yes. If the OP does this and sets the action low enough to get himself a bunch of fret buzz he will have to play with a light touch or the guitar won't work at all.... Not saying this is good just saying it forces a light touch.

Edited by CEB (06/10/18 05:22 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2932105 - 06/10/18 07:27 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: Larryz]
poserp Offline

+1 Hollow Body, Archtop, Acoustic, anything you can play and hear without having to use an amp. Most of them have on-board electronics, so you can plug them in at a later date once you get over not gripping them too tightly... thu

I just posted a few days ago in another forum that Mark Farner's guitar tone from the first couple of Grand Funk albums is one of my favorites. Thankfully there are lots of semi-hollow options these days (they even had some D'Angelicos at my local GC the last time I went in), I've even thought about building one of the kits that are available these days, for the woodworking experience and to maybe get a playable instrument too. So yes, a semi-hollow archtop is in my future. At one point I had a 1940's-era archtop acoustic that was, alas, in less-than-stellar condition (I sold it to someone who could properly restore it), so I'd like to get another archtop acoustic as well.

#2932107 - 06/10/18 07:59 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: poserp]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/5AvCWK2BUR--godin-5th-avenue-cw-kingpin-ii-burgundy <---There is always a good excuse to add to our guitar collection LOL! This Godin 5th Avenue got my interest up! If I didn't have so many guitars, I would be taking a hard look at this archtop at a very reasonable price. Good reviews too! I bought one of the Epi Masterbuilt archtops but had to send it back due to electronic problems. It was very nice sounding and easy to play. I did buy an ES-175 Epi which is very nice but has a jack problem. It's so nice, I'm keeping it and having a jackplate installed. It's not very loud unplugged but it's loud enough for practice. At $1,000 it keeps up with the $4,000 Gibson model. It has US made 57 Gibson humbuckers with upgraded 500k pots factory installed...slim 60's neck.

I'm not too good at woodworking, but a kit guitar would be a great project. Especially if you have a tech help you out here and there! D'Angelicos are very nice guitars too! Good luck and have fun with it, no matter what! thu

#2932201 - 06/11/18 05:24 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: CEB]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes. If the OP does this and sets the action low enough to get himself a bunch of fret buzz he will have to play with a light touch or the guitar won't work at all.... Not saying this is good just saying it forces a light touch.

When I first started I would break a string every other day if not every day... the guitar guy at the music store my dad was working at that summer (he was a school music teacher with the summer off) eventually did this to me... I would bring the guitar to have a new string put on, and he said "let's do something counter-intuitive" when I said I maybe needed thicker strings, he put on 8s and after a few strings breakages it did solve that problem and forced me to play with a lighter touch. Of course, I was playing 26 hours straight every day at that point...

#2932222 - 06/11/18 06:59 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

52 hours on 8's before the break, is pretty darn good... cool

#2932281 - 06/11/18 11:54 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

52 hours on 8's before the break, is pretty darn good... cool

I got to where they only broke (at the bridge) because my body chemistry had turned them to rust dust.

I have 008 D'addario NYXLs on my main Strat at the moment, and I love them... same set has been on for a couple of months and a few gigs, and are still like new since I use string cleaner. I did have to replace the D string because a guy sat in with a cover band I was filling in for, and I tried to steer him to other guitars I had with me with heavier strings but he wanted to use the Strat... and his playing style consisted of a lot of banging on the D string with his picking hand... so , in the middle of the first song I play on it when he's done ("Jessie's Girl") as I'm singing lead "pop" goes the D string at the bridge... with made for me having to do some intentive fingering to play the rhythm part on that song... playing the muted D power chord by hitting the D on the A string and reaching down to hit the A on the G string, which was some quick gymnastics to do in time. Bought a couple of spare singles, fine ever since with the same set. Another anecdote for the "lend you guitar" thread... though I've known that guy forever and played gigs with him, he was old friends with the band I was subbing for...

#2932288 - 06/11/18 12:16 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: poserp]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: poserp

That's changed a lot over time; I've played acoustics, various electrics (strats, teles, ibanez shredders, etc) classical, steel-string acoustic, and various basses. I generally don't clamp down too much with bass (which is another weird thing), but it does happen a bit. I have no problem hearing the amp, what I think is happening is my mind wants to hear the string on the guitar itself, which of course with a cranked amp isn't going to happen. One thing I haven't tried is louder clean tones vs distorted tones -- maybe with a clean sound I'll be less inclined to "dig in"? Again, I've only noticed this recently -- I've literally been playing for decades and couldn't figure out why, the handful of times I've played live, I couldn't move around the neck like I could when practicing.

It's like my brain thinks I can't get the attack or "attitude" I want unless I really whack the strings (I fret with my left-hand, pick with my right, and tend to use both too hard). I'm not a fan of huge amounts of distortion; I used to be, but now I'm more of a "tone" person and I like to hear articulation and differences in how/where I strike a note. It could be that I'm not hearing the range that I'm used to out of an amp as opposed to when I play unplugged. Unplugged, I feel like I have a real "connection" to the instrument. Plugged in, it's like there's a "layer" there. I like the sound (my sonic space is in the Beck/Johnson/Buchanan area) I've had in the past and that I have now (amplification has varied widely; I had a modded Subway Rocket that I used for years, now I use a Digitech RP360 through whatever speakers happen to be available). Or, I should say I like the sound when I'm not trying to do anything that requires any amount of agility. It's just strange to turn on the amp and suddenly realize I'm trying to wring the life out of my guitar's neck (or break the strings when I pick).

Currently I play with 011's on a Tele. I've had the guitar set up, frets dressed, and all of that so it plays nice. I don't have to fret hard at all to get a note to sound properly unplugged. But this issue is consistent, regardless of guitar -- again, I've played Ibanez shredders with super-low actions and it's the same thing. No amp, I'm fine. Turn on amp/speakers, and suddenly my fingertips are going white because I'm pressing too hard and hammering away at the strings with the pick. If I'm playing fingerstyle, same thing, just now my right-hand fingers are getting shredded too as I over-emphasize my "touch".

My playing times have varied widely over the years, I generally get in about an hour a day now, I used to woodshed more and do 4-hour sessions. I've jammed with people in the past and played live a couple of times, but I never felt like I sounded good so I stopped doing that. So for the last few years it's been mostly solo playing at home.

I think you need a Fender Twin, and you need to practice through it all the time for a while.

People have to adjust going from acoustic to electric, or vise versa... you've put a lot of time in on "unamplified electric," but I'm not sure there's a lot of gigs for that...

Your brain will have to make peace with a bit of the difference in an amp being in the equation, but a clean twin should give you the snap and bite with a Tele to let you hear every string, clearly.

That or get a bridge for the Tele with a piezo pickup in it and use that sound...

#2932341 - 06/11/18 10:54 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Ultimately, it boils down to three words-

-practice, practice, practice.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2932441 - 06/12/18 12:20 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I reiterate the suggestion that, while much advice above is good, playing more w/others---both better & less skilled--- might be more important.
It's a vital way of developing a balanced sense of yer actual skills, particularly time & dynamics related.

It also might give you some direct insight on the problem that you stated in OP.
No one would have a better idea of what the prob's source/solution than someone actually observing yer playing technique.
I don't suggest that in a clinical way, although that might help, too, but insofar as becoming more comfortable (which I sensed from yer comments above) in varied playing situations.
Best of !
wave

#2932976 - 06/15/18 01:50 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: d]
poserp Offline

Originally Posted By: d
I reiterate the suggestion that, while much advice above is good, playing more w/others---both better & less skilled--- might be more important.
It's a vital way of developing a balanced sense of yer actual skills, particularly time & dynamics related.

It also might give you some direct insight on the problem that you stated in OP.
No one would have a better idea of what the prob's source/solution than someone actually observing yer playing technique.
I don't suggest that in a clinical way, although that might help, too, but insofar as becoming more comfortable (which I sensed from yer comments above) in varied playing situations.
Best of !
wave

I stepped on stage a couple of times at Babe and Ricky's [now defunct, alas] in Liemert Park in Los Angeles. It was fun, but I sucked. I've also jammed a fair amount in the past with others, but not so much now with family and work (I am slowly inculcating my children into music, we've even had a couple of jam sessions...). I want to find some good local places to play, I've been working on technique and such for the last couple of years and I might not make a total musical fool of myself this time around. Also I've written more songs and stuff, so I (almost) have things to play for open mics and whatnot (although many of the songs I've written are meant for a full band, I could probably arrange them for me + guitar, and I have some simpler solo instrumental things). There are some Meetups in my neck of the woods (currently Salt Lake City, Utah), so I may explore that option for finding people to play with too. Basically, I'm not against jamming or anything, just life over the last decade or so has been less conducive to going out to play with people.

#2932980 - 06/15/18 02:07 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: poserp]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Playing in public's cool but from what you've written here it's not what you should be concerned with, at least at 1st.

The value of playing w/others is what I stated before: it's the way one actually develops playing skills, particularly dynamics, but also timing, etc.

It's also not necessarily a step toward public perf.
If you have plans just to play on recordings or privately, those skills can be developed alone but they come more easily & are better appraised that way.
Don't know how more clearly I can say that.

#2933174 - 06/16/18 04:59 PM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: d]
poserp Offline

Originally Posted By: d
Playing in public's cool but from what you've written here it's not what you should be concerned with, at least at 1st.

The value of playing w/others is what I stated before: it's the way one actually develops playing skills, particularly dynamics, but also timing, etc.

It's also not necessarily a step toward public perf.
If you have plans just to play on recordings or privately, those skills can be developed alone but they come more easily & are better appraised that way.
Don't know how more clearly I can say that.

I get what you're saying, my point is within my very limited social circle I don't have opportunities to jam privately. So I need to go the more "public" route and look for opportunities to play out, at least, if I'm going to play with other people. That might lead to jam sessions that aren't "public", but atm that's a thing that might happen in the future.

#2933216 - 06/17/18 04:20 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: poserp]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Playing music with other people is good for possibly getting positive feedback and/or constructive criticism, but still too, opens you up to having TOO many other people trying to input or try to decide FOR you what THEY think you should do. I'd think limiting your "jamming" with someone or a few whose musicianship you admire and also whose suggestions may be more objective would serve better.

But then, that's just one person's opinion. wink
Whitefang

#2933240 - 06/17/18 08:30 AM Re: Help me psych myself out -- how to play "lightly" [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Poserp, You might run an ad in your local paper or post a note at your local music store. Looking for a practice partner or someone interested in forming a duo. Describe yourself, age, locality, guitar, vocal, genre(s), etc. I met a buddy that I jam with that ran such an ad about 10 years ago. We didn't form a duo but we have played together at parties, BBQ's, etc. and still jam now and then. It would be a way to expand your social circle and meet a new friend.

Open mic's are another good way to meet other musicians in your area. Sometimes you may hit it off with someone. I play mostly solo and mostly work on my material at home. I have played in bands and that's a great way to learn to play with others, but it's also a lot of work when gigging on the weekends and holding down a steady job. Now days when I play with others, it's for fun. Some of my old High School buddies are in my local area now and we get together and play our old Ventures stuff. The main thing is to have fun and enjoy what you do. It will help you loosen that grip when you plug in! cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose