Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2931316 - 06/05/18 03:06 PM How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ?
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Suppose somehow the implicit dream of many musicians, hobby or pro, would become true, and for a friendly price you could become the owner of a nice box, or program for your favourite Digital Audio Workstation which gives you access to every perfectly working synthesizer sound ever really wanted..

And suppose also it would actually work, contrary to, well, a lot of what's out there, so it sounds great, is produced like al the great hits, and on an audiophile system really knocks your socks off. Ans you can take every element of the sound to that spot where you want it easily, timing is wonderful and adjustable from a 1600s pipe organ action to a sub-microsecond Sci-Fi synthesizer latency or anything existing or imiginary in between.

Finally, it comes with the sounds from top hits pre-programmed, ready to use or tweak, including the pre and post production elements and all effects that have ever existed in conjunction with all the presets.

This would be somewhat expensive, but you win the lottery and receive thus magic box, giving you power to make all sounds imaginable, what would you do it. Apart from dumbing it down to sound like new but trashy, overlay a convolution of tweety bird sounds, stealing the technology and starting a research organization. Also, you may not take part in a forum with A grade artists, that would cost extra!

T

KC Island
#2931320 - 06/05/18 03:47 PM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: Theo Verelst]
MIDI2XS Offline

My reaction is "be careful what you wish for".

I often find that half the fun with a synth is figuring out how to make it do something that isn't covered in the owner's manual. I suspect that after initially being impressed, I'd soon be bored with a super-synth that left me with nothing to do but push the right button.

#2931323 - 06/05/18 04:02 PM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: MIDI2XS]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED

#2931400 - 06/06/18 06:59 AM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: DulceLabs.com]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Loc: Mainland Florida
Agree with Dulce here. The ultimate synth would be mind controlled with a VR interface.

As far as having all the timbres in one magic box, I don't know if I would dig that. Sounds convenient but also sounds like you'd be auditioning sounds forever and not really getting to playing music. I remember getting that Arturia Collection thing with their midi controller and having like 8000 patches and loads of different synths to choose from.

Talk about analysis paralysis. I think Devo had it right, Freedom from choice is what we want. I am happiest with just an organ, EP, piano and maybe a simple analog synth.

#2931405 - 06/06/18 07:33 AM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: MojoGuyPan]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
I would love to have something like the Technos Acxel, perhaps updated with modern processors and an efficient separation/reconstruction of the noise component of a sound, like Camel Audio and IRCAM used to do.
For programming, a large touch screen would be ideal. And some clever macros, to alleviate the tediousness of additive synthesis.

Thinking about it, I would be the happiest guy in the world if I could just get an Acxel, slow processor and all. I think it was one of the greatest instruments of all time, for sound generation *and* user interface. Way ahead of its time.

#2931421 - 06/06/18 08:44 AM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: marino]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Reverb has one on sale for a mere $30,000 USD.

#2931452 - 06/06/18 11:38 AM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: Theo Verelst]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES

#2931476 - 06/06/18 02:22 PM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: ABECK]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

I suspect I'd take the lazy way and just ride the presets, you know, the way a jockey rides a horse - what would you call someone like that?

Cheers, Mike.

#2931483 - 06/06/18 03:22 PM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: stoken6]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: stoken6
I suspect I'd take the lazy way and just ride the presets, you know, the way a jockey rides a horse - what would you call someone like that?

Cheers, Mike.

Not sure. Maybe we should take a gallop poll.

#2931511 - 06/06/18 10:10 PM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: Wastrel]
BitBucket Offline

Loc: CA
How do you program the ultimate synthesizer?

Just become God and all is made clear. Then it's not "programming" it's creation. Consume 6 days in the effort and then rest on Sunday.

#2931520 - 06/07/18 02:50 AM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: BitBucket]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Look, if it's the perfect sound creation machine, and you're in cover band, you have the perfect sounds available, except you need to find them, and e able to play them perfectly enough, that night be a problem. Also you might want to exhibit a different taste from the original.

Then there's the competition aspect: not everyone wants a "Louvre" organ, but if you cashed in you second Beemer for one, you might want to sound top of the world, such that you give all the other top instrument owners a run for their money! So you'd have to work with the top presets and create even better ones, and how would that go?

Maybe most mundane keyboardists would like a "wizard" program with the greatest possible synth, just to get some sounds they like, with the added positive feeling they're playing the Rolls-Royce of the keyboards.

Me myself I'd have a very good time finally playing with those enchanting mgical, grand, error-free sounds, without annoying myself about yet the next imperfections, lousy programming and sound choices or spoilers. I's be happy and feed the competition with some dignified synthesis extrapolations, maybe some mathematical sound inventions of my own, and I'd happily try some great hits to cover and maybe improve on...

T

#2931539 - 06/07/18 06:05 AM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: Theo Verelst]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
I think better control of dynamics and articulations are the next frontier in keyboard land. Roli has started to get into this area. I'd love to see other groups get into this as well.

I think we are reaching an area of diminishing returns on the synthesizer sound pallette. When is the last time something really new took hold? FM?

#2931636 - 06/07/18 12:11 PM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: ABECK]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

IN some sense it is little known that some pro equipment can sound truly attractive, and some synthesizers can be programmed with hitherfar mostly unknown programs that maybe could be helped bu computers to sound special.

#2931783 - 06/08/18 12:22 AM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: Theo Verelst]
poserp Offline

Well, if it matched what I would hope for in a synth, it wouldn't sound like anything else out there. Rather, there'd be a bunch of sounds that were better than the sounds in my head, and new and awesome musical styles would erupt forthwith. Then nobody would buy the albums, because nobody would understand it. They might buy the albums after I die. I guess it'd be a nice ego trip, though.

My Soundware (Kurzweil PC3)http://pksoundware.blogspot.com/

My Kurzweil PC3 Tutorials http://www.youtube.com/user/poserp.

#2931785 - 06/08/18 12:44 AM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: Wastrel]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Originally Posted By: Wastrel
Originally Posted By: stoken6

Cheers, Mike.

Not sure. Maybe we should take a gallop poll.

Hay - stop horsing around. Trying to keep this post stable.

#2931894 - 06/08/18 03:17 PM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: Theo Verelst]
Zalman Stern Offline

An old acquaintance (David Tilbrook) used to answer the question "What is your dream job?" with "I want to be a ski instructor in Tahiti. Do runs in the morning, then change into a swimsuit and layout on the beach sipping pina coladas all afternoon."

When the inevitable quizzical look came back, he'd say "Hey, if you're gonna wish for something you're never gonna get, you might as well wish big."

Toward that end, I not only want the user interface to be completely intuitive and natural, I want the board to go from off to playable in a second or two at most.

-Z-

#2932460 - 06/12/18 02:42 PM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: Zalman Stern]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

For me, it's not like rehashing the antiquities of electronics devices sort of beachcombing for yesterdays lovely sounds to become available in some new form. I know the design of the synthesis used in the well known recordings doesn't lend itself for the interpretations that are common and that I tried a lot of time ago, just like a lot of other people. Armed with proper network and frequency analysis knowledge, creating sounds that work good in natural acoustics is quite another challenge than using old or new presets and seeing which knobs have a cool effect.

Having said that, the parameters on a good synthesizer I'd find ultimate would be quite different from all the stuff that's been happening lately...

T

#2932604 - 06/13/18 12:51 PM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: BitBucket]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
It reads like a Kronos but anyway... grin

I would program the ultimate synth by turning knobs and/or moving the data entry slider or wheel and using my ears. idk

That analysis paralysis is very real. Too many sounds and features is almost worse than not having enough. laugh cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2933415 - 06/18/18 10:31 AM Re: How do you program the ultimate synthesizer ? [Re: ProfD]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Obviously I'd have to have instance immense sound gratification, the stuff a good grand can do, or a hip sounding Rhodes, or a stunning and very well tuned guitar, or a great synthesizer with that golden lick on the right effects and amps, etc etc

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner