Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2931465 - 06/06/18 01:07 PM Re: "Can I borrow your Guitar?" conundrum [Re: surfergirl]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I have to say this: both the first acoustic and the first electric guitars I played were borrowed instruments- 6 months worth, in the case of the electric.

But in each case, the loans were from individuals who trusted me. The acoustic was my Mom’s. The electric was owned by a friend of mine.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2931488 - 06/06/18 03:51 PM Re: "Can I borrow your Guitar?" conundrum [Re: p90jr]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: p90jr
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Here’s the whole 2 song performance.
http://v.yinyuetai.com/video/h5/639296
Here’s a gif of the finale,

I have absolutely zero respect for anybody who treats someone else's property like this. A complete dick.

Yeah... I lost a lot of respect for him with this and his initial attitude (refusing to pay for the repairs) afterward...

From p90's comment, I guess there's no point in my hoping that was somehow not KD's gtr &/or a planned trick.
Yow. razz

#2931522 - 06/07/18 03:39 AM Re: "Can I borrow your Guitar?" conundrum [Re: d]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
There are one or two cases where I will make an exception-a recording artist who is a good friend of my cousin, came to town. She wanted to play a set but didn`t have a guitar-or a venue. In this case, I helped arrange her gig and had plenty of advance notice as well as a backup acoustic that I brought to the club. I played a couple of my songs and then let her take the stage. Everything turned out well.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2931526 - 06/07/18 04:08 AM Re: "Can I borrow your Guitar?" conundrum [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Yeah, back when I had that plastic EMENEE I mentioned in the "First Guitar" thread, my step sister( who was my 1st instructor) loaned me the (as I later recalled) nice cream colored TELECASTER and small Gibson amp of a friend of HERS for about a week. And yeah, I knew THAT person as well. And of course, since I wasn't "gigging" and had no need to take it out of the house, they had no need to worry. wink
Whitefang

#2931773 - 06/07/18 10:29 PM Re: "Can I borrow your Guitar?" conundrum [Re: whitefang]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
As somebody who plays multiple instruments, I'm just curious if this group would view playing somebody else's guitar differently than borrowing somebody else's instrument of a different variety - bass, keys, drums, microphone? What about sitting in?

Personally, microphones gross me out. I always bring my own not just because I bought a good one and like the sound, but because the thought of a bunch of potentially sick people spitting into a mic before me isn't very pleasing - but that goes both ways. Does somebody sit in and sing into your mic? I play sax, and of course using somebody's reed is a big no-no, very disgusting, more so than any issues with guitar, trust me. I consider bass and guitar sort of equal. Keys are a mixed bag. First there's just the issue of setup -splitting the keyboard to where somebody else may not know which sounds are on which part of the keyboard, etc. Generally there's not a big risk of damage, but more of things like data loss - overwriting programs. More like letting somebody borrow your laptop and install their own software on it. Drums, I don't play, but have heard many opinions. Of course heads and sticks can be broken, not to mention regular wear and tear, and the differences in setup of the hardware.

To add to this....this weekend I'm filling in with a 5pc acoustic band I used to play with. I'm playing electric acoustic bass most of the night, but I got the list and there were 2 songs I used to play sax on. Usually that means one of the guitar players played my bass. I don't know what it is but every time I get it back after he plays it, the strings feel sticky grimy and gross under my fingers. I've been told by other people outside of the band (on this forum actually) that some people just have body chemistry that does that. Not looking forward to whatever songs come after the ones where he plays my bass.

Edited by J. Dan (06/07/18 10:32 PM)

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2931813 - 06/08/18 07:03 AM Re: "Can I borrow your Guitar?" conundrum [Re: J. Dan]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
@J. Dan - Slightly different responses to the questions you pose.

If I'm going to an open mic situation, where everybody in the near world is using the same mic all night, I bring a couple of spare foam "Pop" filters, in different colors, so we know when we've changed one: a cheap and easy solution, makes everything a little cleaner. Fortunately for everyone, I don't tend to sing . . .

I don't loan out my Synths, but I always have back-up files of my sounds, so if someone did wipe the memory on one of my toys, I'm only stuck until I can get it back home, and re-load the sounds. Even in that case, I'd most likely be left with the factory patches, so there'd still be sounds to play.

My pedalboard is much like my Guitars; don't touch anything, unless I invite you to.

I did loan out one of my Amps for the 100 Guitars event. A young woman traveling by train didn't want to haul an Amp with her, so I loaned her my little KB Amp. I got it for $80 bucks at a local pawnshop, and have gotten more than $80 worth of use out of it, so if it died a noble death at some show, I'd still have gotten a good story out of it. I'm much more particular about my Guitar Amps, less likely to let anyone plug in.

Your buddy with the sticky fingers reminds me of a buddy whose body chemistry ate strings. Seriously, at the end of a night with this guy, a new set of strings looked and felt months old; don't know if coated strings might have helped? If you have to let 'sticky fingers' use your Bass, bring a cleaning rag, so you can at least give it a quick wipe, before you have to play it again. FWIW, after a long night out, I tend to clean my Guitars thoroughly, anyhow; better than putting them away with my sweat and dirt on them.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2931821 - 06/08/18 07:48 AM Re: "Can I borrow your Guitar?" conundrum [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I would tell old sticky fingers to bring his own bass, I would never share a wind instrument sax, clarinet, flute, trumpet, etc. I have shared my keyboard when it was needed at some major jam sessions but not my guitars. I don't mind singing into a mic at open mic's and just back off a little and have the sound guy give me a little more volume if needed. I prefer singing into my own mic though and my own amps and PA equipment. I don't mind letting people plug into my amp but keep an eye on them and will lower the volume on the amp if needed...it's all in how you want your equipment to be used or not to be used! +1 on bringing a rag and some cleaner if you can't say no to sticky fingers LOL! cool

#2931822 - 06/08/18 07:59 AM Re: "Can I borrow your Guitar?" conundrum [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Ya, I was sold on the idea of my own mike some years back. Finally did it two years ago, best move ever.
I don`t know if it makes a difference to say but, part of highly acidic `body chemistry` is likely due to diet. Soft drinks, junk food, red meat and various intoxicants are acidic in nature. One way to say no but be cordial about it is, `sure, you can borrow my instrument-I just have a few questions. Are you vegetarian? are you a smoker? do you eat potato chips? how often do you drink alcohol?...`

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2931843 - 06/08/18 09:07 AM Re: "Can I borrow your Guitar?" conundrum [Re: J. Dan]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: J. Dan
As somebody who plays multiple instruments, I'm just curious if this group would view playing somebody else's guitar differently than borrowing somebody else's instrument of a different variety - bass, keys, drums, microphone? What about sitting in?

Personally, microphones gross me out. I always bring my own not just because I bought a good one and like the sound, but because the thought of a bunch of potentially sick people spitting into a mic before me isn't very pleasing - but that goes both ways. Does somebody sit in and sing into your mic? I play sax, and of course using somebody's reed is a big no-no, very disgusting, more so than any issues with guitar, trust me. I consider bass and guitar sort of equal. Keys are a mixed bag. First there's just the issue of setup -splitting the keyboard to where somebody else may not know which sounds are on which part of the keyboard, etc. Generally there's not a big risk of damage, but more of things like data loss - overwriting programs. More like letting somebody borrow your laptop and install their own software on it. Drums, I don't play, but have heard many opinions. Of course heads and sticks can be broken, not to mention regular wear and tear, and the differences in setup of the hardware.

To add to this....this weekend I'm filling in with a 5pc acoustic band I used to play with. I'm playing electric acoustic bass most of the night, but I got the list and there were 2 songs I used to play sax on. Usually that means one of the guitar players played my bass. I don't know what it is but every time I get it back after he plays it, the strings feel sticky grimy and gross under my fingers. I've been told by other people outside of the band (on this forum actually) that some people just have body chemistry that does that. Not looking forward to whatever songs come after the ones where he plays my bass.

Every soundman I know either sprays the mics with something after each show or takes off the windscreen balls and soaks them in something after each show, giving them time to dry and evaporate bfore putting them back on.

I carry mics, a couple of Beta 58s for vocals, SM57s and Senn E609s for guitar and even a beta 52A for bass/bass drum in case of emergency (come to think of it, a soundman might not have given one of these back...)... soundguys usually don't want to use them, for whatever reason (not what I'm used to... don't want to get confused on who they belong to...), though I have lost several over the years.

I play in a band with a germophobe singer... he forgets one SM58 EVERY gig and has to buy another one. He just sings... and always is pretty much on the way home before the rest of the band puts the guitars down. if I think to grab it (and argue with the soundguy to remember that he used his own) when he freaks out the next day I say "I grabbed it." He was also thinking he should "upgrade" to a more expensive mic... "oh, to lose more money every time we play?" He is independently (and family) wealthy, so I guess it doesn't matter if his gig money goes to mics every time we play.

#2931857 - 06/08/18 09:46 AM Re: "Can I borrow your Guitar?" conundrum [Re: d]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
Originally Posted By: p90jr
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
[quote=Dannyalcatraz]Here’s the whole 2 song performance.
http://v.yinyuetai.com/video/h5/639296
Here’s a gif of the finale,

I have absolutely zero respect for anybody who treats someone else's property like this. A complete dick.

Yeah... I lost a lot of respect for him with this and his initial attitude (refusing to pay for the repairs) afterward...

From p90's comment, I guess there's no point in my hoping that was somehow not KD's gtr &/or a planned trick.
Yow. razz

[/quote]

Well, Prince used the guitar in soundcheck because his gear hadn't arrived, yet... but then he sent over someone asking if he could buy the guitar and use it on the show. KD said "I don't want to sell it but of course he can use it..."

Epiphone interview with Captain Kirk Douglas about the incident and the guitar

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose