Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2930974 - 06/04/18 07:07 AM Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I think Nord keyboard owners are extremely helpful.

I am not in the market for one. I am interested in understanding in why the Nord Stage demands [what I think] a price premium.

If you are wealthy, have an excellent living as a musician, I get it. Price is no problem.

I am interested in objective reasons why the money conscious, scrutinizing musician pays the premium for a Nord Stage.

And why its so much more distinctive/preferable and valuable vs its worthy competitors.

Thank you for sharing this. And if I am way off on my price premium theory, feel free to correct me.

Edited by GregC (06/04/18 09:15 AM)

KC Island
#2930976 - 06/04/18 07:19 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: GregC]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

One-board solution with piano, clonewheel, VA and (some) rompler. Plenty of functionality beyond minimum-viable (aftertouch, internal PSU, expression pedal/bend/mod, knobs transmit CC, auxiliary outs, 5-pin MIDI and other stuff that gets cut on other keyboards for cost reasons).

Because it's a strong Stage Piano contender, I use mine with cheap controller, which helps hold down total rig costs. Also saves setup time (no mixer etc.)

As I said in a past post, for a stage piano, it's a pretty good clonewheel. And vice versa.

But man I wish the ROMpler was more flexible. (A strings patch and a brass patch I could load into a Piano slot would go a long way for me).

Cheers, Mike.

#2930980 - 06/04/18 07:27 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: GregC]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
I would say four main objective reasons. In no particular order:

First, hardware is expensive, and Nords tend to have more of it in the form of panel controls.

Second, it's probably more expensive to manufacture in Sweden than Japan.

Third, economies of scale, as there are fewer Electros than there are Roland 61-note boards that use common components.

Fourth, a lack of competition. If someone else made a board with the kind of hands on control that Nord offers, Nord would have to be more competitive. Other manufacturers make efforts in that direction, but no one goes to the same extent as Nord.

I've had a bunch of Nords and the primary reason is the difference of having that much real time control in live performance.

But I have no allegiance to Nord. Right now I have a Korg Vox and though it's not quite as functional as an Electro, it very compellingly offers a similar live performance advantage.

roccoromanucci.com

#2930981 - 06/04/18 07:28 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: GregC]
Cower, Boy! NQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: GregC
I am interested in understanding in why the Nord Stage demands [what I think] a price premium.

Manufacturing costs?

Edit: Sorry Adan, cross posted with you.

#2930982 - 06/04/18 07:29 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: stoken6]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: stoken6

Because it's a strong Stage Piano contender, I use mine with cheap controller, which helps hold down total rig costs. Also saves setup time (no mixer etc.)

As I said in a past post, for a stage piano, it's a pretty good clonewheel. And vice versa.

Not sure those are fairly characterized as "objective" reasons. You can explain your preference for Nord any way you want to, but I think the OP was trying to filter out subjectivity from the discussion.

roccoromanucci.com

#2930983 - 06/04/18 07:37 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Adan]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Adan
You can explain your preference for Nord any way you want to, but I think the OP was trying to filter out subjectivity from the discussion.

I wasn't even trying to explain my preference - simply highlighting a feature set that is apparently attractive, but attracts a premium because of manufacturing costs (as stated above) and because the market will bear it.

Cheers, Mike

#2930985 - 06/04/18 07:39 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Adan]
kenheeter Offline

I believe the main reason is that they are easy to live with on stage. The sounds are good, the editing is simple and there's virtually no menu diving. Plus extremely reliable. I've used Nords since the first Electro was introduced and I never feel that I have compromised sound, quite the opposite. I have never experienced a technical problem with any of my Nords. They hold their value when you do decide to sell. There are reasons why they are seen on the stage with most touring bands these days. I have other keyboards for special reasons, Mojo 61, etc. The Nord Stage plays very well with other keyboards via MIDI as well. They are definitely worth the money in my opinion.

#2930987 - 06/04/18 07:48 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: kenheeter]
Nadroj Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Built well, built with care (all put together by hand at a single factory in a Stockholm).

Sounds are generally top notch. Access to entire Nord library.

It's a luxury, quality instrument; someone has compared Nords to Porches here before. Feels very different to the other plastic (or even metal) keyboards I've played in the past.

Main reason; people will buy them. They're on stages all over the world, instantly recognisable. Artists and players of all types are willing to pony up the cash for them; why would they make them any cheaper?

#2930988 - 06/04/18 07:52 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: kenheeter]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
I have passed on Nord repeatedly because I canít justify the expense, even if well built and lighter to carry than some others. My best paying gigs are still $50-75 an hour. Thatís 70 hours to pay off $4500.

Additionally, they donít make a model with an action I love for piano or organ or synth. That said the TP-40 in the Nord Stage 88 makes the most sense because itís a great compromise action for all the sound engines included. Similarly the Stage is the only model I believe commands the asking price - with alternatives being the Forte, Montage and Kronos all of which have features beyond what the Stage offers - but the Stage focuses on what youíll use and not what you might not and this helps keep the user interface dedicated and easy to use. If I were going to pick up a Nord Stage it would be the compact, Iíd stick a piano action I like under it and rip the springs out of it for a better feel. On the price side, Iíd need to buy it on time, depreciate it on taxes and use for a long time.

#2930994 - 06/04/18 08:13 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Well, I'll weigh in since I'm in the market for a new gigging, single board option as we speak. I definitely want unweighted keys when using one board, and will pull out 88 weighted when going with two boards.

For me, I'm deciding between Kronos 2 and Stage 3 Compact currently, the goal being to replace my long in tooth NE3-73. I'm a very heavy NS3 lean. They're the same price, so it doesn't feel like a premium price to me, given they're the flagship for each company. That being said, they definitely don't fill the exact same role, so a lot depends on what the current primary gig or need may be.

As other have said, the at hand, live controls is huge for me on Nords, love it. Weight and form factors are a deciding factor as well. NS3 Compact weighs in at 22 pounds, and the key-bed is a compromise I can work with given my ratio of piano work. My Kronos options (for me specifically) on the other hand are 73 weighted keys at 46 pounds, or 61 keys still at 31 pounds. 73 unweighted keys at 22 pounds is the absolute tipping point for my preferences. Nord construction also feels pretty solid to me.

I've used Yamaha, Casio, Moog, Nord all within the past 5 years btw. This isn't intended as a Korg bash or me trying to prove Nord is the better brand...just sharing my thought process with my current contenders.

Edited by Fusker (06/04/18 08:19 AM)
Edit Reason: English

#2930997 - 06/04/18 08:22 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: stoken6]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: stoken6
One-board solution with piano, clonewheel, VA and (some) rompler. Plenty of functionality beyond minimum-viable (aftertouch, internal PSU, expression pedal/bend/mod, knobs transmit CC, auxiliary outs, 5-pin MIDI and other stuff that gets cut on other keyboards for cost reasons).

But man I wish the ROMpler was more flexible. (A strings patch and a brass patch I could load into a Piano slot would go a long way for me).

Cheers, Mike.

Good reasons. I am Kronos owner . I know W/s are different beasts, all in 1 blah blah.

1 song group I require is Orchestra. Or larger ensembles. Does the Stage have , lets say, that 40 piece orchestra sound ?

#2930999 - 06/04/18 08:26 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Fusker]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
They are well built. They sound great. They are super easy to use. They are light. They have a library of sounds so you can customize what is in the keyboard.

Are they the best clone or best piano or EP? No. They are like a German Shepherd- not the best tracker, not the best protector, not the best scent dog, but they do all of those things combined better than most other dogs, which is why they are so widely used.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2931001 - 06/04/18 08:33 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Adan]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Adan
I would say four main objective reasons. In no particular order:

First, hardware is expensive, and Nords tend to have more of it in the form of panel controls.

Second, it's probably more expensive to manufacture in Sweden than Japan.

Third, economies of scale, as there are fewer Electros than there are Roland 61-note boards that use common components.

Fourth, a lack of competition. If someone else made a board with the kind of hands on control that Nord offers, Nord would have to be more competitive. Other manufacturers make efforts in that direction, but no one goes to the same extent as Nord.

I've had a bunch of Nords and the primary reason is the difference of having that much real time control in live performance.

But I have no allegiance to Nord. Right now I have a Korg Vox and though it's not quite as functional as an Electro, it very compellingly offers a similar live performance advantage.

Your second is a factor but does not seem to be a specific user reason to buy a Nord.

Or do you , as a buyer, have a preference for Swedish products vs Japan ?
Not being a smart ass. Just getting at motivations .

Your point on ' controls ' is tangible. Assuming they are quality , highly useful/thought out, that could tip the scales to spend $1000 [?) or whatever premium for a Stage.

And you are 'sold ' that no co does it as well as Nord for stage pianos. yet there are Yamaha, Roland and even Korg stage pianos. I recall that the controls on the Roland RD stage piano are smartly accessible. But thats my immediate bubble.

I think I get it the reasons for your personal pref.

#2931004 - 06/04/18 08:38 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: kenheeter]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: kenheeter
I believe the main reason is that they are easy to live with on stage. The sounds are good, the editing is simple and there's virtually no menu diving. Plus extremely reliable. I've used Nords since the first Electro was introduced and I never feel that I have compromised sound, quite the opposite. I have never experienced a technical problem with any of my Nords. They hold their value when you do decide to sell. There are reasons why they are seen on the stage with most touring bands these days. I have other keyboards for special reasons, Mojo 61, etc. The Nord Stage plays very well with other keyboards via MIDI as well. They are definitely worth the money in my opinion.

good you mentioned total reliability. I know service techs much prefer working on a Nord
vs a Kronos. Not that a service tech sees many Nords.

Your other point is solid. Long term, its worth the premium. And if resale history is reliable that is an excellent motivator. There are very few boards that command strong resale when you look beyond 4 years.

#2931005 - 06/04/18 08:44 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Nadroj]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Nadroj
Built well, built with care (all put together by hand at a single factory in a Stockholm).

Sounds are generally top notch. Access to entire Nord library.

It's a luxury, quality instrument; someone has compared Nords to Porches here before. Feels very different to the other plastic (or even metal) keyboards I've played in the past.

Main reason; people will buy them. They're on stages all over the world, instantly recognisable. Artists and players of all types are willing to pony up the cash for them; why would they make them any cheaper?

More excellent reasons- hand assembly vs factory assembly/production line. I am not articulate on this point. Maybe someone who has taken a Nord factory tour can expound more about the process.

I get it, that distinctive look, the color. " Everyone has one, why not me ? " This is more
about strong brand loyalty that Nord has successfully developed over the years.

Why make them any cheaper ? From a crass US capitalistic POV, cutting corners and saving a buck on a cheaper component is common place. I am not saying its 'ok'. It just 'is' .

#2931006 - 06/04/18 08:52 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: ElmerJFudd]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd

1) I have passed on Nord repeatedly because I canít justify the expense, even if well built and lighter to carry than some others. My best paying gigs are still $50-75 an hour. Thatís 70 hours to pay off $4500.

Additionally, they donít make a model with an action I love for piano or organ or synth. That said the TP-40 in the Nord Stage 88 makes the most sense because itís a great compromise action for all the sound engines included.

2) Similarly the Stage is the only model I believe commands the asking price - with alternatives being the Forte, Montage and Kronos all of which have features beyond what the Stage offers

3) but the Stage focuses on what youíll use and not what you might not and this helps keep the user interface dedicated and easy to use.

1)I think you fit the scrutinizing careful buyer profile. I like to analyze and 'cost justify' a big purchase.

2) That was my observation, too.

3) This is very interesting. That Nord has wisely determined that " less is more " . Or that
overloading features for a Stage performance keyboard is not going to help for more sales. It appears folks at Nord intensely study their marketplace. And make good decisions

#2931007 - 06/04/18 08:54 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: GregC]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Originally Posted By: kenheeter

good you mentioned total reliability. I know service techs much prefer working on a Nord
vs a Kronos. Not that a service tech sees many Nords.

Your other point is solid. Long term, its worth the premium. And if resale history is reliable that is an excellent motivator. There are very few boards that command strong resale when you look beyond 4 years.

This is I believe related to the way instruments have have had trickle down tech over the years (so many sound good enough) but not so much trickle down build quality. So for some players it makes sense to stay on the sub $2k range. Heck, even in the sub $1k range and turn over every 5 years or more as something better comes along since the cheaper instruments donít wear and tear as well. With a Nord if you can stomach the initial investment to get into that tier, if you donít mind the hassle of being a seller trying to make the best sale possible you can do similar. Or, assuming the build is good, just keep the Nord for much longer.

#2931008 - 06/04/18 09:02 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: ElmerJFudd]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
[quote=kenheeter]I bs.

This is I believe is related to the way instruments have have had trickle down tech over the years but not no much build quality. So for some players it makes sense to stay on the sub $2k range. Heck, even in the sub $1k range and turn over every 5 years or more as something better comes along since the cheaper instruments donít wear and tear as well. .

We are straying some from the $3400-$4500 purchase decision. Still, you bring up a solid point.

The under $2000 keyboard purchase is often a short term ( under 2-3 yrs) or a 'commodity ' purchase. This is 1 of the reasons I bought the FA-07.

It was cheap, excellent bang for the buck. And a useful life ( to me , anyway) for 2-3 yrs.

Not trying to be snobby. $1500 is still a bunch of cash. But when I amortize $1500 over 2 years, I see it smart money. Now this is specific to my song writing requirements .

keyboardists requirements are going to differ. I like to set the stage on context for gear purchase and usage/purpose.

#2931009 - 06/04/18 09:07 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Fusker]
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
I can't address why they are more expensive than the competition, but I'm happy to say why I'm willing to spend the money on them.

• Overall quality of the sound engines
  • User Interface - Subjective, but once you get used to the workflow, it's very intuitive. I can make significant changes easily in the heat of battle and not get lost in menu diving or cryptic displays
  • Diversity of the library and overall approach to sound design - certainly unlike the competition, but makes a lot of sense to me
  • Weight - Again subjective, but I'm OK with the HP action and how they can get all the above stuff in less than 30 pounds
  • Longevity - We've all talked about how Nord instruments retain their value. Some of this can be attributed to Nord's consistent focus on keeping older instruments viable. The Nord Piano Library supports all the way back to the original Stage, the Electro 3 and the original Nord Piano. With the exception of the original Stage, the Nord Sample Library supports all those instruments as well. Granted, the new models have more piano/sample memory in them, but you can load the latest piano sample in the oldest of these instruments, albeit in the small size.

To me, it's not any one of these factors, but all of them together that make it worth the money to me.

#2931013 - 06/04/18 09:15 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: DanL]
bennyray Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: DanL
They are well built. They sound great. They are super easy to use. They are light. They have a library of sounds so you can customize what is in the keyboard.

Are they the best clone or best piano or EP? No. They are like a German Shepherd- not the best tracker, not the best protector, not the best scent dog, but they do all of those things combined better than most other dogs, which is why they are so widely used.

Good comparison but I bought a Nord E5d 73 about a year and a half ago and sold it for what I paid for it. I got rid of the Nord mostly because I got my money back and the action was beginning to be a deal breaker for me.

Now the German Shepherd I have a female and no amount of money could get her. Great loving and sweet dog.

#2931014 - 06/04/18 09:21 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Rusty Mike]
cphollis Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
I don't make a living at music, it's just a fun hobby for me, so my perspective is different than OP's. I play for fun.

I have more fun when I'm playing on Nords. All music, no frustration at any point. I can just play and sound good, every time.

Like others have said? Excellent design and build quality. Continually updated thanks to their free library. Surprising resale value, even after many years.

I'm the one who made the analogy to Porsches. You can certainly buy less-expensive cars.

But they won't be as fun to drive smile

Keys: NP2, NS3C
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC K.2s, EVOX J8, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 18

#2931015 - 06/04/18 09:24 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Nadroj]
burningbusch Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Originally Posted By: Nadroj

I have to push back on some of this justification of the price because of where it's manufactured. And the "built by hand" is, IMO, as much marketing as anything.

First, we know one of the main components, the keyboard, is outsourced to Fatar in Italy. Second, where exactly are the electronics manufactured? You can see in this link, that the power supply, for example, carries the inscription "Designed in Sweden" rather than "Made in Sweden." I know in the past Nord did manufacture its electronics in-house, but in a video walkthrough of the factory they show the mainboards in crates and comment they no longer build them in-house. So where? Asia?

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/products/original/258806.jpg

My pushback is more with the "built by hand." They are assembled in Sweden from parts manufactured there and elsewhere. ALL keyboards are assembled by hand. On the other hand, Moog modulars are hand-soldered at the Moog factory. That's built by hand, IMO.

This is a different video than the one I was referencing, but you can see them pulling the finished front panels with mainboards attached from crates.

Here's a video for Roland home pianos. The assembly process is not that different from Nords', though Roland manufactures EVERYTHING in-house.

Does the country of manufacture really matter? Would the iPhone be of higher quality if it were made in Sweden vs. China? I think it can matter if a country has a history of certain types of goods: Swiss watches, Italian leather, etc. Where you have expertise not found elsewhere, or to the same degree.

BTW, the cost of living is slightly higher in Tokyo vs. Stockholm.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co...city2=Stockholm

Having said all this, I think Nords are excellent keyboards and I totally get why people like them so much. I've owned a few in the past. Yeah, they're expensive but the resale holds up well. People too often view pricing strictly from a bottoms-up approach (e.g. the parts and labor cost this much, hence the price). Perceived value is really the determining factor. The perceived value of Nords is high and the price follows.

Busch.

#2931021 - 06/04/18 09:37 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: GregC]
kbrkr Offline

I'm a Stage 3 Compact owner, and I don't think it is worth the money. I also have a Kronos 2 76. The chief attraction to me was the weight and a "Swiss Army Knife" approach. Meaning, I can bring a piano, organ, Synth to a gig/rehearsal without killing myself.

However, there are many drawbacks to the Nord as follows:
* It's not as well made as you might think. The Mod wheel on my kb was not working out of the box and has intermittent functionality.
* Sonically, it comes nowhere close to the Kronos.
* You can't do multi-samples
* Realtime controls are nice, but you have to be a contortionist to use them. Hold down button with your thumb, stretch your index finger to hit a button, whilst spinning a knob? wth
* No Setlist function
* In adding a Program lookup function, they renumbered all their programs so instead of starting at 1 they start at 11 for each bank? wth
* Only two concurrent sample slots
* Limited program slot memory
* Some base sounds (Wurly's, Clavs, etc.) are weak.
* Limited effects assignment per slot.
* Limited tweak ability of the Organ section; i.e percussion, key click, Leslie/reverb routing, Leslie models.

Those are just whats on the top of my head.

#2931024 - 06/04/18 09:45 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: kbrkr]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Man... I think my NE3 cost me $3,200 CAD back in 2011... A Stage 3 88 is $6,000. Holy moly.

#2931025 - 06/04/18 09:45 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: burningbusch]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I for one don't really know if it costs more to manufacture or assemble in Sweden but it's certainly plausible that it is. For instance, some European countries have more stringent recycling laws, the cost of which gets passed on to the consumer. Labor costs may well be higher. But I'm just speculating.

If someone gave me a 30 song set list for a gig tomorrow, the Nord Stage would probably be my tool of choice. Easy to create setups and easy to see what you've done once you've done it. With the Kronos, I could make the same setup but then I'd have to take more time to lodge that info into my brain. Screen info is usually too dense to take in quickly. So the Stage gives you an advantage in the "learn this by tomorrow" scenario.

But of course the reverse side of that coin is more limited options. The obvious example is it might be helpful to be able to see your split point by scanning your eyes along the tops of the keys, but you can only split at certain spots.

roccoromanucci.com

#2931029 - 06/04/18 09:52 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: burningbusch]
stillearning Offline

A factor not mentioned yet: thickness of operatorís manual.

Iím 63, been gigging most of my adult life. Iíve had most every manufacturerís offerings over the years. Been happy with most of them, but as I get older, I just donít feel much like curling up with something the length of War and Peace to figure out how to change the attack on a synth patch. Needless to say, love my Stage 88. All the bread and butter sounds Iím likely to need in one board for most gigs... in an intuitive interface. Simple workflow, and easy to call up effects. Little need for outboard modules.

#2931033 - 06/04/18 10:01 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: stillearning]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Why is there such a disparity in pricing between the Stage and the Electro? There are alot of similarities in sound sets, keybeds, knobs, sliders, features, etc.. Why double the price difference? At one time (early electro and stage) there were far more differences than than there are today but the disparity in current pricing seems unjustified to me with the latest stage and the latest electro.

#2931035 - 06/04/18 10:03 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Delaware Dave]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Maybe it's partly over compensation... I get the job done with a $750 PX-360. I make a lot of money (a full time income) performing. In the beginning I thought I needed fancy tools, but now I know it is down to musicianship and not the gear.

#2931038 - 06/04/18 10:08 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Delaware Dave]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
Why is there such a disparity in pricing between the Stage and the Electro? There are alot of similarities in sound sets, keybeds, knobs, sliders, features, etc.. Why double the price difference? At one time (early electro and stage) there were far more differences than than there are today but the disparity in current pricing seems unjustified to me with the latest stage and the latest electro.

You know, you raise a solid point, I'm going to take a deeper dive on the Electro 6. Maybe this thread will save me $1,100, lol.

#2931039 - 06/04/18 10:10 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Jazz+]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Jazz+
Maybe it's partly over compensation... I get the job done with a $750 PX-360. I make a lot of money (a full time income) performing. In the beginning I thought I needed fancy tools, but now I know it is down to musicianship and not the gear.

What if you needed a sawtooth wave with filter sweep? The world would be a less interesting place (for me) if everyone was playing jazz using a handful of patches.

roccoromanucci.com

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner