Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2931681 - 06/07/18 02:39 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: timwat]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: timwat
Originally Posted By: GregC

I am interested in objective reasons why the money conscious, scrutinizing musician pays the premium for a Nord Stage.

And why its so much more distinctive/preferable and valuable vs its worthy competitors.

"Tell me where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head?" - Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice
"The heart knows reason that reason knows nothing about" - Blaise Pascal, Pensees

Nord Stage because...they want to. And that doesn't need justification.

Or, to put it more eloquently, I'll remind us of the Prefab Sprout lyric,

"They say the spirit moves in mysterious ways
Sometimes the way it moves looks plain berserk
But two things you should be slow to criticize,
A man's choice of woman and his choice of work"

...and I might add, a man's choice of keyboard.

Tim

Good you posted that, Tim.

Gut feel, emotional connection, from the heart mostly, is very common, likely more common and/or has more weight than the analytical scrutinizer or 'quantify you decision, please.

I know love of the keyboard exists. I experience it. Its wonderful every day. It validates
my purchase decision.

I requested the ' concrete ' stuff on the Nord Stage decision.

While knowing how important the ' non objective ' is. Thats equally important, maybe more so, I would guess. Its good to have ' both ' perspectives, as in 'left brain vs right brain'.

Edited by GregC (06/07/18 02:49 PM)

KC Island
#2931685 - 06/07/18 02:43 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: timwat]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

I am interested in objective reasons why the money conscious, scrutinizing musician pays the premium for a Nord Stage.

And why its so much more distinctive/preferable and valuable vs its worthy competitors.

"Tell me where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head?"

Tim - I love this quote so much, thanks for sharing!

Of course the answer to the question as presented in the play, is that we lust after what we see as attractive, and after we move past our intial superficial perception, our desire for the beautiful dies out pretty quickly. That said, I don't believe WS was considering lovely red keyboards at the time.

To wit:

It is engendered in the eyes,
With gazing fed, and fancy dies
In the cradle where it lies.
Let us all ring fancy’s knell
I’ll begin it.—Ding, dong, bell.

Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
...I taped over the nameplate...

MOI - I'm wondering if others were still able to identify your Nord by its scarlet hue, despite covering its logo?

Edited by CowboyNQ (06/07/18 07:50 PM)
Edit Reason: Rogue apostrophe needed to be dealt with

#2931686 - 06/07/18 02:47 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: davedoerfler]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

I also expect a huge factory discount when I buy a Stage

well this is "THE" contributing factor to expense.
The factory sells to a distributer, who then sells to a retailer, who then sells to the end user. All three levels need to be profitable to stay in business.

Solid point. there are 3 fingers in the pie.

I assert the 'factory' as having the fattest finger. After all, the mfgr' took on all the risk to develop, assemble, support and market the product.

Thus, as my paraphrase of the saying goes,
' he who takes the biggest risk, can reap the largest reward.'

#2931708 - 06/07/18 04:25 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: GregC]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Adan
I get why some people don't think Nords are right for them. I don't get the concern over whether they are "overpriced." You should be playing your keyboard almost daily for at least 3-4 years if not longer. If the keyboard that's right for you costs $500 or even $1,000 more than one that's not right, why is it a rational decision to get the cheaper one?

The free market advocate would argue that having choice clarifies value; that is, providing a wealth of options to buyers, each of whom makes a non-coerced purchase decision, self-determines where the aggregate of value is. The fact that the Nord Stage continues to sell well would naturally suggest sufficient value is perceived by non-coerced, rational buyers
Value is a very personal decision that is only partially determined by revenue and income. Sometimes we want what we want simply because...we want it.

All good points. And I would not be surprised if some people questioning the value of a Nord had, at some point in their lives, bought a more expensive car than they needed (or a leather seat upgrade, whatever), paying perhaps thousands more for something completely unnecessary in terms of getting you from point A to point B. It doesn't always come down to meeting basic requirements. Sometimes you pay for an "experience" that is beyond merely checking off a list of functions-per-dollar. Do I need a convertible? No, but I smile when I drive it.

#2931709 - 06/07/18 04:29 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: CowboyNQ]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: CowboyNQ
MOI - I'm wondering if others were still able to identify your Nord by it's scarlet hue, despite covering its logo?

Oh, definitely. But somehow it felt better to have it be “keyboard that you might recognize as a Nord,” than, “NORD.”

#2931710 - 06/07/18 04:31 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: MathOfInsects]
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
Right. Cost vs. value. A $1 keyboard you never use costs $1 too much. A $5000 board you use constantly and productively is a steal.

I'm a cheapskate, and fundamentally disrespectful. If everyone likes something, I am usually included to hate it. Accordingly I truly bristled when all the hipsters started using the red board I'd early-adopted years before because it meant (to me) I was going to have to get rid of it.

Instead I taped over the nameplate, as I've done with every board since, because when it comes down it, that was the board with the greatest ongoing value to me.

A brand is a detriment to me. (I wear no clothes or products with visible brand names). It's just the board that has offered me the greatest value over time--which makes it underpriced.

I don't play it because of the nameplate. If one of the other manufacturers had built a product that checks the right boxes, I would own it.

Maybe it is about gut, like Tim says. It just works for me.

Some of it may also be about getting caught up in the ecosystem. Owners of other brands have built up libraries or their own intellectual capital on navigating and making the most of an instrument. The natural progression is to select another device that appeals to their paradigm and/or can accommodate their own library of sounds and patches. Makes the upgrade less painful. I have a bit of that going on as well. I'll take the Stage or the Electro depending on the gig, knowing the consistency of what I get, and I don't have to swap any pedals out of my bag.

I have absolutely zero snobbery about it. Some of my must friends make a fuss about it sometimes, but I could not care less about the nameplate.

#2931712 - 06/07/18 05:02 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Rusty Mike]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Rusty Mike

I don't play it because of the nameplate.

When I bought my first one, I had never heard of it. I just saw one on Ebay, went and tried one, and was hooked. Many years ago now; maybe 13.

#2931713 - 06/07/18 05:03 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: AnotherScott]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Originally Posted By: Adan
I get why some people don't think Nords are right for them. I don't get the concern over whether they are "overpriced." You should be playing your keyboard almost daily for at least 3-4 years if not longer. If the keyboard that's right for you costs $500 or even $1,000 more than one that's not right, why is it a rational decision to get the cheaper one?

The free market advocate would argue that having choice clarifies value; that is, providing a wealth of options to buyers, each of whom makes a non-coerced purchase decision, self-determines where the aggregate of value is. The fact that the Nord Stage continues to sell well would naturally suggest sufficient value is perceived by non-coerced, rational buyers
Value is a very personal decision that is only partially determined by revenue and income. Sometimes we want what we want simply because...we want it.

All good points. And I would not be surprised if some people questioning the value of a Nord had, at some point in their lives, bought a more expensive car than they needed (or a leather seat upgrade, whatever), paying perhaps thousands more for something completely unnecessary in terms of getting you from point A to point B. It doesn't always come down to meeting basic requirements. Sometimes you pay for an "experience" that is beyond merely checking off a list of functions-per-dollar. Do I need a convertible? No, but I smile when I drive it.

A mistake of youth or irrational act of the mid-life crises. wink
We all know cars we actually drive are the worst possible investment short of getting suckered into buying the Brooklyn bridge. Something very fortuitous has to happen with income (inheritance, lottery, promotion, etc.) to get out of the rut of the monthly budget limitations.

#2931714 - 06/07/18 05:18 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Rusty Mike]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Rusty Mike
I have absolutely zero snobbery about it. Some of my must friends make a fuss about it sometimes, but I could not care less about the nameplate.

Same here, except even my friends don't know a Nord from anything else. All they know is that I have too many keyboards. ;-) As for the audience at a gig, I assume none of them know what a Nord is. In fact, when it comes to weddings and such, half of them probably won't notice/remember that the band even had a keyboard player. And I've done far more gigs with Casios than I have with Nords. Name means nothing. I only look to find ways to more thoroughly enjoy what I do.

#2931715 - 06/07/18 05:20 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: ElmerJFudd]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd

I've either been young or in midlife crisis for most of my life. ;-)

#2931717 - 06/07/18 05:43 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: AnotherScott]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

laugh

#2931719 - 06/07/18 05:49 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: MathOfInsects]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
The intellect of @timwat always speaks to me. I'd love to have a slightly drunk conversation with him at some point.

Let me net out his post, from someone with a deep appreciation for economics and b-school thinking?

You do what makes sense for you. That's the engine that drives capitalism, warts and all. Not sure if there's a better system out there, so I'm going with that.

If you are resource-constrained, you make the best choice ("utils") based on the available choices. Maybe you decide to spend less on X (car) to buy more Y (keys). You obsessively shop deals, and look for small advantages between various gear choices.

If you look at keyboards as a tool to do your job, much as a construction worker would, you're equation is "best results at the lowest cost". Reliability, etc. Not my thing, but I appreciate the context.

And I listen to these people who make a living off their boards.

If you are not resource-constrained, but consider playing a pleasurable experience (as I do), you're looking for the most joy at a reasonable price.

For people like me, it's all about the joy factor. No joy = not happy. Forget about the money thing. That has what got me into the whole Nord thing. Total joy. For now.

If you're into the Ultimate Experience (and can fortunately afford it), please go and indulge your personal pleasures. You have my total respect, because you're doing the full human thing. Tell the rest of us what you did, and why.

I've done that ultimate thing a few times, especially with acoustic pianos. And amplification gear. Lucky me.

You want the best? Let's talk.

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2931721 - 06/07/18 06:25 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: cphollis]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I respect career work that’s monetarily well compensated and/or retirement planning (and execution) that plays out successfully. And don’t get me wrong, I appreciate quality as much as the next guy and gear is a popular topic here of which I love to partake. But let’s keep in mind, there’s a lot of us still in the work force trying to pay for the kids’ braces, save for college, etc. knowing retirement saving shouldn’t take a back seat. We should all be so lucky someday to be able acquire every joy-strument we ever desired. But the market is fickle and so is life sometimes no matter how well one plans. Let’s all hope for health and great relationships too. thu

Ok, back to the regularly scheduled gearslutz for keyboard players.

#2931740 - 06/07/18 07:47 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: ElmerJFudd]
10k Club

More great input here, and yes, some of us are fortunate enough (and/or have allocated our resources) such that we can afford to buy the boards that bring us the most playing enjoyment. But sure, I'd still enjoy playing "lesser" gear, and I'd get just as many gigs, at the same pay. My gear of choice upgrades are really just for my own increased satisfaction.

If I couldn't afford a Nord Stage 3, I could do most of the same stuff with an Artis 7 plus an iPad at half the price, and still be a happy player. The piano and organ wouldn't sound quite as good, but they're not bad at all (and some other sounds are better). I'd have to do more planning, deciding in advance what I wanted the 9 sliders to do on various patches and so forth. I'd lose aftertouch, and my custom samples would be on the iPad. But it's not a bad solution at all. Really, I could get through most gigs just fine even on a minimal board like a DS61, Kross, MX61, or XW-P1 if it came down to it, especially with the supplemental iPad. The Nord is just more fun, allowing me to more easily be more expressive, and it's worth the additional cost for me, and luckily, I can afford it without worrying about how I'll manage to eat!

#2931761 - 06/07/18 09:18 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: AnotherScott]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I might have to replace my current sig quote with this one.

#2931764 - 06/07/18 09:25 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: MathOfInsects]
davedoerfler Online   confused
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
do it. wink twothumbs
MojoGuyPan

#2932212 - 06/11/18 06:32 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: davedoerfler]
iluvchiclets Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I hate the fact that Nord's are so expensive. I have stared at the Electro 5 for over a year now (maybe 2 years?) and can't believe it is $2999 CAD. (They have come down to $2599 now that the E6 has been released)

Because I only play as a hobby, the Electro 3 is all I hold on to.

The reason I chose a Nord? It was the only keyboard that has a good Hammond Emulation to my ears. It's that simple.
I have owned the VR09, the VK-8M, the FA06, and many, many other keyboards which I used to play music live that did everything I needed...except a good Hammond emulation. (I need proper keyclick, stellar Chorus/Vibrato, and proper Leslie timbre)

I own a PC3 as well...pretty good on all fronts, but too heavy and the Hammond is just not good enough to my ears.

It's all about the Hammond sound. If the SK1 was cheaper I would have one of those. If the VR09 had a better organ emulation, I would have happily kept that one. Boy, was it a fun keyboard for the price!

#2932215 - 06/11/18 06:39 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: iluvchiclets]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
If hobby means "don't gig anymore", I'd go for software. Not for everyone, but man does it make recording convenient compared to rooms full of midi gear and fx units. Want to change songs with such a room? Re-patch and hope all your patch changes and sysex dumps work smile With software, even edits to patches are saved with the song. Having grown up with old-school midi studios, modern software is like black magic...inconceivable!

I have an old Studiologic hammer-action controller that feels nice (mid-90s vintage) and hope to get a Mojo for live use that will double as a controller for software organs.

I haven't yet gotten to where I'll use software live, the few times I've tried I ran into glitches (and so have friends of mine that have used software live).

Edited by Stokely (06/11/18 06:41 AM)

#2932218 - 06/11/18 06:51 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Stokely]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Stokely
If hobby means "don't gig anymore", I'd go for software.

That again brings me back to the importance of a control surface.

One nice thing about a home setup is that you don't worry so much about portability, so if you have room for lots of stuff, go for it. But if you're tight for space, even if you're controlling software, what single board gives you better control than a Nord Stage? You can map everything, and you've got dedicated drawbars and other organ controls, and dedicated synth controls, logically grouped and labeled. Though if you've got the space, I think a Numa Organ and a Studiologic Sledge would give you even better controls for a lot less $. (I'm assuming their controls all similarly send out MIDI CC.) In either case, though, you'd probably still want another (i.e. 2nd or 3rd) keyboard for an alternate action, to have hammer and non.

#2932223 - 06/11/18 07:20 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: AnotherScott]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

One nice thing about a home setup is that you don't worry so much about portability, so if you have room for lots of stuff, go for it. But if you're tight for space, even if you're controlling software, what single board gives you better control than a Nord Stage? You can map everything, and you've got dedicated drawbars and other organ controls, and dedicated synth controls, logically grouped and labeled. Though if you've got the space, I think a Numa Organ and a Studiologic Sledge would give you even better controls for a lot less $. (I'm assuming their controls all similarly send out MIDI CC.) In either case, though, you'd probably still want another (i.e. 2nd or 3rd) keyboard for an alternate action, to have hammer and non.

Controllers - also smart not too go overboard, and look for what you'd actually use. You can get a mother of a controller in the Physis K4 or K5 for $1696-$1895 without the expansion card for the Physis Piano. A Roland A800Pro goes for $399.99. Both will do the job - need to define the job description really well.

If piano-like action is the priority many select the Kawai MP11SE (which is an excellent performing instrument in its own right) @ $2799 or the VPC-1 @ $1849. The action on the NS3 isn't even comparable.

#2932227 - 06/11/18 07:36 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Stokely]
Al Quinn Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I have an old Studiologic hammer-action controller that feels nice (mid-90s vintage) and hope to get a Mojo for live use that will double as a controller for software organs.

Which software Hammond do like better than the Mojo? I ask because I’ve yet to find one, but would like to.

#2932228 - 06/11/18 07:43 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: AnotherScott]
Rally Offline

Scott, what exactly are you referring to when you mention control surface, thanks.

#2932230 - 06/11/18 07:55 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: ElmerJFudd]
10k Club

Controllers - also smart not too go overboard, and look for what you'd actually use. You can get a mother of a controller in the Physis K4 or K5 for $1696-$1895 without the expansion card for the Physis Piano. A Roland A800Pro goes for $399.99. Both will do the job - need to define the job description really well.

I'm not saying the Nord Stage is the most cost-effective controller. But if you're goal is "best" rather than "most cost effective," the Physis and Roland don't measure up, for organ and VA synth. A horizontal row of 9 generic knobs doesn't give you the kind of synth control the Nord panel does, nor do the generic sliders have the proper feel and spacing for a player who grabs multiple bars and pushes/pulls as he plays. (Yes, if you don't need both at the same time, you could use the 9 sliders as additional synth controls, but you can do that with reassignment on the Nord as well and still have access to that many more parameters.)

ETA: Though actually, for softsynth control, I like the idea of endless controllers with LED rings, but none of these options have that.

Edited by AnotherScott (06/11/18 07:55 AM)

#2932231 - 06/11/18 07:57 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Rally]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Rally

Scott, what exactly are you referring to when you mention control surface, thanks.

the available array of knobs/buttons/sliders available for you to control your sounds in real time.

#2932234 - 06/11/18 08:19 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: AnotherScott]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
But if you're tight for space, even if you're controlling software, what single board gives you better control than a Nord Stage? You can map everything, and you've got dedicated drawbars and other organ controls, and dedicated synth controls, logically grouped and labeled.

I usually stay out of these type threads but this piqued my interest. Once you start mapping controller knobs to soft synth functions with completely different names confusion arises quickly. You always have to remeber which knob does what. While it's cool that every knob on the NS3 sends out a dedicated CC# I think it's not the best choice for soft-synth control. It really has only ones set of oscillator knobs where most soft synths have 2,3 maybe 4 oscillators. Also no sustain knob with the ADSRs and a single set of drawbars where I believe every virtual organ has the full set.

I think a Voyager or just about any DSI synth would be easier to map. And imo the Kurz PC3x or Forte blows this away with only 9 faders but 16 multi zones. I also second the Physis K4 as maybe the best for this purpose.

#2932240 - 06/11/18 08:42 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Al Quinn]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Al Quinn

Which software Hammond do like better than the Mojo? I ask because I’ve yet to find one, but would like to.

I can't actually answer that, because I suspect it handily beats what I am currently using (the built-in Logic pro organ.) In addition to the two uses above, I'd use the Mojo to practice my organ technique, which is lousy smile Even if the Mojo was better-sounding, I'm not going back to hooking up midi and audio like the old days...the convenience is king for me. To be fair, my personal stuff is electronic music and I don't use all that much organ compared to synths, or even compared to piano. If it was my main instrument, any sound quality difference would figure more prominently in my thinking.

Edit: as far as controllers in general, my current approach is to worry about the keys first, then the control surfaces. I'm ok with using the mouse most of the time anyway, but I picked up a little Korg nanoKontrol that has lots of knobs, buttons and sliders on it. This way I don't have to buy a keyboard unless I like the keys on it foremost, and can worry about the other controls separately. Just one approach, likely a cheaper one, but also a little more fiddly with two devices.

Edited by Stokely (06/11/18 08:44 AM)

#2932268 - 06/11/18 11:00 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Markyboard]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Markyboard
I usually stay out of these type threads but this piqued my interest. Once you start mapping controller knobs to soft synth functions with completely different names confusion arises quickly. You always have to remeber which knob does what. While it's cool that every knob on the NS3 sends out a dedicated CC# I think it's not the best choice for soft-synth control. It really has only ones set of oscillator knobs where most soft synths have 2,3 maybe 4 oscillators. Also no sustain knob with the ADSRs

Sure, but you still have a whole bunch of knobs that *are* usefully labeled (including most of what you'd likely want for actual real-time performance manipulation), plus a bunch more (drawbars and other knobs) that you can define on an ad hoc basis. With a generic controller, you *only* have the latter (and probably fewer in total).

and a single set of drawbars

Yes, but if you can't make do with one set at a time, no controller will work, you'd have to buy a dedicated clone with 2 or 4 sets.

I think a Voyager or just about any DSI synth would be easier to map.

Oh yes, a synth with MORE knobs is better. That's also why I said a Sledge would be even better. If you've got the space for a dedicated synth controller and a dedicated organ controller (plus your weighted action board), I agree, that's better than the Stage. It's when you only want one board for organ and synth controllers that the competition gets pretty thin.

#2932280 - 06/11/18 11:52 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: AnotherScott]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

...(including most of what you'd likely want for actual real-time performance manipulation)...

Ah yes - I failed to see past my own mapping for the sake of developing programs vs real time performance manipulation. Good points Scott - back to staying out of these threads.

#2932282 - 06/11/18 11:57 AM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Markyboard]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

idea On the other hand... how many folks here are buying NS boards and using soft synths live let alone thinking about manipulating them in real time on stage?

#2932287 - 06/11/18 12:11 PM Re: Nord Stage Keyboards; The $3400 to $4500 decision [Re: Markyboard]
10k Club

idea On the other hand... how many folks here are buying NS boards and using soft synths live let alone thinking about manipulating them in real time on stage?

I wasn't actually thinking about live use, I was thinking studio, like when you're laying down a track. You still benefit from real time performance controls, even if there's no audience present. ;-)

I'm not saying that I think lots of people are buying an NS3 to use primarily as a VST controller. But I'm saying that it makes a pretty good one. So if you have one anyway, or are thinking about one for live performance, that's another benefit of having one, which may also give you more value out of it. And if you did happen to be looking for s single organ+synth studio controller (.e. if space is at a premium), if you can afford it, I think it's a good choice, for the reasons I mentioned.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner