Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2930727 - 06/02/18 03:10 PM 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper
Mike Davis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida

KC Island
#2930729 - 06/02/18 03:14 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mike Davis]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Bence is working it. Good for him, he found what works and is using his considerable skills in a way that presumably will keep him fed for a while. He's all over YouTube.

#2930736 - 06/02/18 04:19 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Loc: Mainland Florida
Another gross post. What is with this guy playing barefoot? Just nasty. Not even going to get into the affected way he is playing, the exaggerated/jerky movements, the mugging, can he be any more of a douche.

The guy is all flash. He plays precise but if you remove the visual and just listen, there is nothing interesting there. It's a legitimately boring performance musically.

People here were complaining about Lola Astanova. Same thing but I'd much rather watch her play a run of the mill classical performance than watch this guy play covers acting like a jack-ass. At least she looks great and treats the instrument with respect. This guy is barefoot, pounding on the case, rubbing the strings, a disgrace if you ask me.

#2930748 - 06/02/18 06:41 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Holy cow did I hate that.

#2930750 - 06/02/18 07:02 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Half a million subcribers and 62 million overall views and... yeah, I don't think he cares what we think.

Not really my cuppa either, but you gotta hand it to the guy for doing what he does.

#2930763 - 06/02/18 08:31 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
I was impressed. I don't think it's a scalable model, but Youtube may prove me wrong. All power to him.

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2930771 - 06/03/18 12:10 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Originally Posted By: MojoGuyPan
It's a legitimately boring performance musically.

As opposed to an illegitimately boring performance musically? rolleyes

#2930784 - 06/03/18 06:21 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: DulceLabs.com]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
I liked it.

#2930790 - 06/03/18 07:15 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
arX Offline

Loc: London
I like it.

Another gross post. What is with this guy playing barefoot? Just nasty. Not even going to get into the affected way he is playing, the exaggerated/jerky movements, the mugging, can he be any more of a douche.

The guy is all flash. He plays precise but if you remove the visual and just listen, there is nothing interesting there. It's a legitimately boring performance musically.

People here were complaining about Lola Astanova. Same thing but I'd much rather watch her play a run of the mill classical performance than watch this guy play covers acting like a jack-ass. At least she looks great and treats the instrument with respect. This guy is barefoot, pounding on the case, rubbing the strings, a disgrace if you ask me.

A bit of an overreaction, no?

Your adorable profile pic does not at all betray your consistently grumpy post content. frown

#2930794 - 06/03/18 07:40 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: arX]
kbrkr Offline

Sorry, but I call fake. When does he hit the looper pedal to turn on/off the looping? Is it part of the Bosen' damper pedal?

Edited by kbrkr (06/03/18 07:41 AM)

#2930801 - 06/03/18 08:35 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: kbrkr]
RudyS Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Couldn’t it just be set to loop and record 2 bars?

Not my cup of tee as well, but well played for sure.

Seeing if someone “is a douche” purely by his motion is a skill I would like to obtain.....

#2930803 - 06/03/18 08:44 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
Half a million subcribers and 62 million overall views and... yeah, I don't think he cares what we think.

Not really my cuppa either, but you gotta hand it to the guy for doing what he does.

My thoughts as well. My reaction was a bit of annoyance, not to mention irritation he has access to a nice Bosey. But why shouldn't this dude who obviously has chops do something like this. He's hustling in a world where it's hard to hustle.

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

#2930804 - 06/03/18 08:45 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: RudyS]
Bobby Simons Offline

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
I also think it's kind of cool and different enough to be original, and certainly more than I've seen from the perennial naysayer.

#2930806 - 06/03/18 09:06 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Bobby Simons]
piano39 Offline

Loc: Ohio
I like it, too.

The guy obviously has the chops, also has a unique arranging skill.

One of the problems that keyboard players have- how do they compete with guitar players or singers on stage when they are just sitting behind a keyboard? Like it or not, this guy is putting on a visual performance, that matches the flamboyance of his playing and arrangement.

#2930808 - 06/03/18 09:17 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: piano39]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

On a separate subject, this post was literally the third I saw yesterday dealing with updated arrangements of that song. (One on FB, one on one of those viral click-on-me feeds, and one here.)

Just curious about your thoughts: why this song? Is it kitschy/hipster-ironic? Did something in pop culture put it back into play? What's the story?

#2930809 - 06/03/18 09:24 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
Strays Dave Offline

As I recall from interviews way back years ago, Keith Jarrett gave plucking the grand piano strings with his fingers, as one of the reasons for his dismissal from Berklee College of Music (in Boston). As I recall, it was after being told not to. I think this was one of several reason - maybe certain other behaviors on Keith's part.

I feel supportive of anyone finding new and creative ways of using a looper. And although this guy doing the "Africa" cover is a bit Liberace(ish), I like what he's done.

And I wonder if you're as critical of Jacob Collier. I'm a big fan myself. There's a lot of much more mediocre music to dismiss (hey - 4 M's in a row !).

Edited by Strays Dave (06/03/18 09:32 AM)

#2930813 - 06/03/18 09:45 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Strays Dave]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My mind went to Liberace too, though unfavorably. (Meaning, I don’t think he pulled it off with quite the same charm.)

I actually went more toward Kenny G. Mega-talented, mega-successful, and I could go the rest of my life without having to watch or listen to a single second of him.

I am a looping fan and very specifically an extended-techniques fan; I have whole toolkits full of stuff use to get wacky sounds out of the inside of the piano. I just really hated this.

I love what Jacob Collier does.

I don’t remember if I’ve ever posted this here before, but here is Jarle Bernhoft really owning the potential of looping, IMO.

#2930815 - 06/03/18 10:03 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
My mind went to Liberace too, though unfavorably. (Meaning, I don’t think he pulled it off with quite the same charm.)

same here

#2930822 - 06/03/18 10:37 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: AnotherScott]
Redknife Offline

Loc: Lewisville, NC
A positive take: this guy has the ability to invoke a visceral reaction with his performance,
My take: I haven’t hated a piano performance so deeply since ???

#2930825 - 06/03/18 11:10 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mike Davis]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
The bare feet thing’s a bit odd, but I like the performance overall. For those wondering about when he uses the looper pedal, I’m guessing that we are watching a compilation of multiple shots.

I think I much prefer his version of “Attention”.

Titano Virtuoso Converter accordion, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370. Kimball Valencia/Broadway organs, Shure SM-57

#2930829 - 06/03/18 11:49 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
Morten Olsson Online   content

Loc: Danmark
I recently watched a YouTube video of the same guy playing something else - the one I watched was obviously speed up artificially - was easy to spot because his head was whipping around at inhuman speed which - were it possible - would surely have resulted in brain trauma.
I failed to notice if the video was official or just something doctored by a fan. Shall see if I can find it again later.

#2930830 - 06/03/18 11:49 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

On a separate subject, this post was literally the third I saw yesterday dealing with updated arrangements of that song. (One on FB, one on one of those viral click-on-me feeds, and one here.)

Just curious about your thoughts: why this song? Is it kitschy/hipster-ironic? Did something in pop culture put it back into play? What's the story?

100% meme territory. Huge memein goin on.

To take it a bit further, I watched a short doc on Darude, composer of Sandstorm. Both the tunes have enjoyed meme revivals and lemme tell ya, their bank accounts ain't sad about it. The feeling is, "I'm not sure if they're laughing at us, with us, or at themselves, but they're still playing our songs over and over. idk "

#2930839 - 06/03/18 12:45 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Strays Dave]
Mike Davis Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Strays Dave

And I wonder if you're as critical of Jacob Collier. I'm a big fan myself. There's a lot of much more mediocre music to dismiss (hey - 4 M's in a row !).

In a way, Jacob Collier is conceptually similar to the guy from the first post. They've both found novel ways to express themselves, and they're both building careers.

Is there any musical substance there in either case? Well, I guess that's in the ear of the behearer.

#2930852 - 06/03/18 02:17 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mike Davis]
TommyS Offline
Gold Member

Loc: SoCal
For some odd reason, the Collier guys act reminds me of Jerry Lewis.

#2930884 - 06/03/18 04:46 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: TommyS]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Yeah, well I did a bit of deep googling on Collier's custom-built "harmonizer", and I WANT ONE. Roland, Kord, et.al -- are you listening? $$$$ It's not a vocoder, it's real-time assisted pitch shifting. How cool.

Seems you can get close with an Eventide Quadravox plug-in and a bunch of midi programming -- but the dude just sings into his mike and plays outrageous harmonies in real time using a standalone board.

Geez.

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2930893 - 06/03/18 05:45 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: cphollis]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
What do you guys think about this one?

https://youtu.be/n3JdNGAv8hc

#2930898 - 06/03/18 06:35 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: eric]
Strays Dave Offline

I thought I'd throw in an extended example of some of Jacob Collier's considerable talents. I was thinking maybe he's a combination of Miles Davis, Leonard Bernstein and Mozart. But that doesn't include the voice.

Anyway, he's a wonder to behold.

#2930901 - 06/03/18 06:48 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Strays Dave]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
I've seen him before. I liked him much better without all of the pomp and theatrics.

This is a pretty cool arrangement and well executed performance without the same degree of histrionics.

#2930935 - 06/03/18 10:36 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Dr88s]
JohnH Offline
Platinum Member

It’s cool but it’s rushing and this song has a groove that can’t be rushed or it’s gone.

#2930936 - 06/03/18 10:45 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

100% meme territory. Huge memein goin on.

Do you know what brought it back to consciousness though? Some movie? TV show? The Office?

#2930938 - 06/03/18 10:46 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Dr88s]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dr88s
I've seen him before. I liked him much better without all of the pomp and theatrics.

This is a pretty cool arrangement and well executed performance without the same degree of histrionics.

Holy cow did I hate that.

#2930939 - 06/03/18 10:50 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.

My 21 year old daughter (and huge contemporary music fan) loves this song, and I can't figure out why either. She let me know Weezer covered it also. Go figure?

#2930940 - 06/03/18 10:53 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

According to Know Your Meme, not much more than a South Park nod and a slow accumulation of YouTube covers, turning into a Subreddit, turning into etc. I sang a similar arrangement to the one posted when I was in high school choir.

I think part of it would have to do with the way pop culture cycles in around 30ish year phases, as generations grow up and mimic their parents nostalgia, in both humorous and serious artistic applications.

#2930942 - 06/03/18 10:55 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Also, Africa is a great song with an epic chorus. It's so damn catchy, it won't be denied, just like Don't Stop Believing. Those two songs really do travel across generations thanks to the strength of the hook and the overall songwriting quality.

#2930943 - 06/03/18 11:13 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Also, Africa is a great song with an epic chorus. It's so damn catchy, it won't be denied, just like Don't Stop Believing. Those two songs really do travel across generations thanks to the strength of the hook and the overall songwriting quality.

It's the four-chords too! I guess I feel differently about it having heard it the first time around. It seemed like kind of a well-produced novelty song to me at the time, and I somehow always felt the synth sound was dated (really, too evocative of the time) even when it was out. So I enjoyed it as ear candy, but never thought of it as as anthemic as "Don't Stop," which we sang to exactly as caucasially as people do now, from the very beginning.

According to Know Your Meme...

....a site I now know exists!

I think part of it would have to do with the way pop culture cycles in around 30ish year phases, as generations grow up and mimic their parents nostalgia, in both humorous and serious artistic applications.

For sure, and all those 80's callback tunes and even the retro-disco tunes are solidly in that category.

I have a 30-day nostalgia cycle. Or as some people call it, brain damage.

#2930968 - 06/04/18 06:40 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
MojoGuyPan Offline

That's the other reason for my disdain. His song choice is the peak of "hipster ironic." It's like he's trying to work it from all angles. Make no mistake, this song isn't being revived, it's being mocked. Not that I have a problem with it since the lyrics are stupid and Toto's video even worse. Toto exemplified the worst of corporate rock.

This avocado toast eating, PBR drinking, fixie riding, hipster crap needs to die.

I personally think that he'd have gotten even more views if if chose to cover the Facts of Life theme song this way. You take the good and in this case you take the very bad.

#2930970 - 06/04/18 06:54 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
caucasially

Word.

Word?

#2930975 - 06/04/18 07:13 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Huh - 8 years since that Mike Masse thing? Man I hate that version with a passion. TRY LEARNING TO COUNT! I'll give the Angel City version a pass though.

Cheers, Mike.

#2930989 - 06/04/18 07:54 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: stoken6]
Nadroj Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Few crusty folks here today. This is already another Phish thread, isn't it?

Dude can play, he racks in the views. Fair play to him. Wouldn't say I love it, but can see why it appeals to people. To the brothers here stating their opinions as if they're absolutes; shush. Music is subjective. One mans trash is another man's treasure.

Edited by Nadroj (06/04/18 07:55 AM)

#2930990 - 06/04/18 08:05 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: kbrkr]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
Sorry, but I call fake. When does he hit the looper pedal to turn on/off the looping? Is it part of the Bosen' damper pedal?

Careful, your lack of understanding of looping technology is showing. wink

I can provide links if anyone's interested in knowing how this can be done hands-off, without needing someone physically triggering a loop device. twothumbs

#2930996 - 06/04/18 08:19 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
MojoGuyPan Offline

My unbiased opinion is that this guy is much better and exhibits a sense of humility and genuine passion.

The dude even plays a cover of Bence's Bad cover better than Bence on his Kurzweil. I've subbed to Kim, not Bence.

#2931018 - 06/04/18 09:31 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
MojoGuyPan Offline

This one checks all the Keyboard Corner boxes: Casio DP, dangerously adjusted X-stand, nerdy Buster Bluth looking piano player on backing vocals, found the sheet music, and a hipster chick belting it out tying it all together.

Time for me to start an ironic song cover band in my neck of the swamp.

#2931037 - 06/04/18 10:08 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

I don't know why bare feet bothers anybody. In other videos, whatshisname plays with shoes on. My drummer plays with bare feet. She has red polish on her toenails. She's an excellent drummer.

I've read all the posts in this thread and watched all the videos. For me, what's missing in all of them is soul. Mad skills yes, flash technique. But where's the feeling, the emotion? Why am I not moved?

I'm trying to come up with a version of "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing." It's just an empty hole if it ain't got that soul?

#2931040 - 06/04/18 10:10 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
David Loving Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
So far, nothing tops the two guys at the Utah pizza place.

#2931042 - 06/04/18 10:21 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: David Loving]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
I'm with Kim (see what I did there?), but his Bad rendition is more relevant to this discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGvp5F9c17U

roccoromanucci.com

#2931051 - 06/04/18 10:47 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Wastrel]
Mike Davis Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Wastrel
caucasially

Word.

Word?

Also a word: plethora

#2931064 - 06/04/18 11:26 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
Make no mistake, this song isn't being revived, it's being mocked. Not that I have a problem with it since the lyrics are stupid and Toto's video even worse.

I hear this song all the time. I still dig it and like to play it. To be fair - you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a stupid music video made in 1982.

This avocado toast eating, PBR drinking, fixie riding, hipster crap needs to die.

Aside from Avocado (which I do love), I couldn't agree more. Can we throw in oversized beards, dark rimmed glasses and wearing wool hats indoors?

#2931067 - 06/04/18 11:29 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mike Davis]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Backstory of "Africa" is interesting - was an afterthought sleeper on the album and just blew up.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/q80s-totos-dave-paich-on-writing-and-recording-africa/

#2931068 - 06/04/18 11:36 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: eric]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
Originally Posted By: eric
What do you guys think about this one?

https://youtu.be/n3JdNGAv8hc

Oy, fantastic! One of my favorite tunes as well....

#2931070 - 06/04/18 11:41 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
This one checks all the Keyboard Corner boxes: Casio DP, dangerously adjusted X-stand, nerdy Buster Bluth looking piano player on backing vocals, found the sheet music, and a hipster chick belting it out tying it all together.

Time for me to start an ironic song cover band in my neck of the swamp.

Okay.....what department do I go to to get the 17 seconds of my life I spent on that back?

#2931077 - 06/04/18 12:03 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: cphollis]
hatricklov Offline

Loc: CO
Originally Posted By: cphollis
Yeah, well I did a bit of deep googling on Collier's custom-built "harmonizer", and I WANT ONE. Roland, Kord, et.al -- are you listening? $$$$ It's not a vocoder, it's real-time assisted pitch shifting. How cool.

Seems you can get close with an Eventide Quadravox plug-in and a bunch of midi programming -- but the dude just sings into his mike and plays outrageous harmonies in real time using a standalone board.

Geez.

Chuck, I think if you could get your hands on one of these, this product would accomplish the same thing... would it not?

https://www.zzounds.com/item--TCEHARMONYM

#2931101 - 06/04/18 01:03 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: DulceLabs.com]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: DulceLabs.com
It's a legitimately boring performance musically.

As opposed to an illegitimately boring performance musically? rolleyes
No, that would be illegitimately exciting performance unmusically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2931128 - 06/04/18 03:22 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mike Davis]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Totally confused now. freak

#2931129 - 06/04/18 03:28 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Synthoid]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Synthoid

Oh, good. I thought it was just me.

#2931175 - 06/04/18 07:29 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Wastrel]
Redknife Offline

I get a strong John Tesh vibe from this guy. Self aggrandizing mosh with a pittance of musicality. Still angry.

#2931178 - 06/04/18 07:46 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Wastrel]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Wastrel
Originally Posted By: Synthoid

Oh, good. I thought it was just me.

Relax.. it's only whispers of some quiet conversation.

#2931181 - 06/04/18 07:50 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: DulceLabs.com]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Relax.. it's only whispers of some quiet conversation.

From the hundred men on Mars...

#2931197 - 06/04/18 11:59 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Synthoid]
vanderSchoot Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Typical to hear all the controverse about Peter Bence’s playing style.

I personally like it a factor 10 over the likes of Hiromi for instance...... but that is because i hate most forms of jazz and experimental piano with a vengeance.
Has something to do with all those years of piano tuning as a tuner at large jazz festivals..... i received an overkill from those evil haunting jazz lines in every f’kng song beyond repair i guess.

The moment a good pianist tries to play anything but outlandish chord progressions and nerve wrecking solo lines is a win win situation to me personally .

End of rant ,

coffee

Edited by vanderSchoot (06/05/18 12:00 AM)

#2931219 - 06/05/18 05:23 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: vanderSchoot]
Bobby Simons Offline

Don’t be dissin’ my Hiromi, lol. I love a lot of her trio stuff. Also, I was pleased to find a couple of transcriptions of hers easy enough for me to learn.

#2931236 - 06/05/18 07:19 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Bobby Simons]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil
I enjoy Hiromi, even if a bit self indulgent at times. She's in a whole different league, though.

I found the "Africa" video entertaining. Certainly not a repeat listening contender, but I like to see the different interpretations of songs with only piano - as well as piano+strings and only strings. A lot of artists exploring this, and it's nice to see the variety. I like some of his other material.

I'm amused at how people are hot and bothered with him. I'm excited to hear the wide array of artists exploring this, even if I don't enjoy them all. Options for all tastes. The bickering about being barefoot is silly.

Back to the video: it reminded me a bit of the piano guys rendition of "What makes you beautiful" What Makes You Beautiful. My wife and I dig a lot of their covers, specially her.

In regard to the looping, watched a two cellos concert last year, and somebody sitting in front kept complaining that he didn't come to a concert see them playing against backing tracks - to me the use of the looping pedal was pretty clear, but you'd need to be familiar with it.

#2931254 - 06/05/18 09:01 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Rod S]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I honestly don't see any comparison at all between Bence and Hiromi, except that they both play piano. Hiromi's sin is that she smiles while she plays. But all her energy and motion is playing-directed. And she is off the charts in terms of skill--truly one of the greats of our age, IMO, even with the listener's eyes closed.

It's best I stop there.

#2931255 - 06/05/18 09:03 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Bobby Simons]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Bobby Simons
I was pleased to find a couple of transcriptions of hers easy enough for me to learn.
Care to share?

#2931265 - 06/05/18 09:46 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Joe Muscara]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It took less than a minute for me to go from zero to curmudgeon on this one. It's not just that I think it's terrible; it's that having watched it, I now think the world is a slightly more terrible place.

#2931275 - 06/05/18 10:11 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Josh Paxton]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Josh Paxton
It took less than a minute for me to go from zero to curmudgeon on this one. It's not just that I think it's terrible; it's that having watched it, I now think the world is a slightly more terrible place.

I laughed and laughed.

I think we need to hang.

#2931277 - 06/05/18 10:21 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Josh Paxton]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

thu laugh

2005 NY Steinway D

#2931280 - 06/05/18 10:37 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Dave Ferris]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Piano Guys irritate me much more than Peter Bence. YMMV. I agree about Hiromi as well.

#2931281 - 06/05/18 11:00 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Here, cleanse your palate with Vurro.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2931285 - 06/05/18 11:13 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
vanderSchoot Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I honestly don't see any comparison at all between Bence and Hiromi, except that they both play piano. Hiromi's sin is that she smiles while she plays. But all her energy and motion is playing-directed. And she is off the charts in terms of skill--truly one of the greats of our age, IMO, even with the listener's eyes closed.

It's best I stop there.

There is no comparison, because from a technical point of view Hiromi is much, much better.

However I truly dislike the type of (experimental) jazz she plays at times.....
Of course she is brilliant if one could measure technical ability and other instrumental skills.
I only wrote what i wrote because different people like different things no matter how gifted the involved muscians.
Just like some really dislike Peter Bence for all sorts of personal reasons.
Read below the very best of classical pianists on youtube,....... there are many people who dislike a certain performance no matter at what insane high level it was executed.

I applaud Peter Bence for playing pop music on the piano...... it's refreshing to hear because of the stranglehold that classical and jazz piano still have in 'pianoland'.

#2931287 - 06/05/18 11:30 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
MojoGuyPan Offline

I laughed and laughed.

I think we need to hang.

I agree. Us 3 should hang.

Anytime you're passing through Kissimmee, PM me. Orlando, Daytona, Titusville and of course Kissimmee are my stomping grounds. Grew up in Bangor, PA but moved down here in 2K12. Lovin' every minute of it.

Edited by MojoGuyPan (06/05/18 11:34 AM)

#2931317 - 06/05/18 03:11 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
We're a rum old lot, aren't we? We continually moan that keyboard players don't get their work recognised, yet as soon as one of us has the marketing gumption – and talent – to make a bit of noise in the big wide world, we're on his throat like a pack of weasels.

No, it's not really my thing either but the guy is helping to raise the profile of the poor old pianist a bit, he can play a bit and is (hopefully) making something approaching a living out of it. I note that of the people criticising, I've never seen 90% of you putting your own work forward for scrutiny and comment.

As for hipster beards, I just find them hilarious rather than irritating – they're the mullets of tomorrow!

#2931318 - 06/05/18 03:20 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
arX Offline

Loc: London
Originally Posted By: Aidan
We're a rum old lot, aren't we? We continually moan that keyboard players don't get their work recognised, yet as soon as one of us has the marketing gumption – and talent – to make a bit of noise in the big wide world, we're on his throat like a pack of weasels.

No, it's not really my thing either but the guy is helping to raise the profile of the poor old pianist a bit, he can play a bit and is (hopefully) making something approaching a living out of it. I note that of the people criticising, I've never seen 90% of you putting your own work forward for scrutiny and comment.

As for hipster beards, I just find them hilarious rather than irritating – they're the mullets of tomorrow!

Couldn't have put it any better.

#2931327 - 06/05/18 04:22 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: arX]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Actually most of the folks horrified by that clip post their/own stuff fairly frequently

#2931330 - 06/05/18 04:49 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

But certainly not all wink There were nuances to some critiques, but again, not all.

Coughcoughsomefolksseemeddeterminedtosoundmoredatedthantheirgrandparentscoughcough.

#2931333 - 06/05/18 05:45 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Redknife Offline

I’ll reply as one who expressed disdain, did not include a dissertation, and have not posted my work here.
I for one reserve the right to voice my opinion on art, particularly in a realm of life-long pursuit. I appreciate the initial post and watched the video multiple times. A dissertation on all of the reasons I find the performance bothersome would not align with my opinion that art can elicit emotions and opinions that can’t be explained by logic. Were I to write a graduate paper on the performance, I could certainly fill page upon page of support for my disdain. That would not change the fact that I summarily hate what he has done musically. I don’t believe that all performances add to the cultural valuation of pianists. In fact, I can think of few performances that better suit my point. I don’t believe view counts are a marker of art valuation.
As to posting my own material for evaluation, I haven’t here. I, like the rest here have spent a lifetime producing musical art for others while facing immediate connection or lack thereof. Should my life situation change to the extent that I can post material on this forum, I will certainly do so. Until then, I assert personal agency regardless of some notion of first and second class forum members. I will occasionally post on the forum, perhaps for the better and perhaps not.

#2931362 - 06/05/18 09:38 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Redknife]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

This thread took an unfortunate turn. We’re all welcome to like or dislike any public act we want, and we don’t have to provide a single bona fide to do it. I don’t think it was necessary or helpful to make it personal. Just my two scents.

#2931368 - 06/06/18 01:03 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Redknife]
niacin Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: down under
[quote=Redknife]
I for one reserve the right to voice my opinion on art, particularly in a realm of life-long pursuit. I appreciate the initial post and watched the video multiple times. A dissertation on all of the reasons I find the performance bothersome would not align with my opinion that art can elicit emotions and opinions that can’t be explained by logic. Were I to write a graduate paper on the performance, I could certainly fill page upon page of support for my disdain. That would not change the fact that I summarily hate what he has done musically. I don’t believe that all performances add to the cultural valuation of pianists. In fact, I can think of few performances that better suit my point. I don’t believe view counts are a marker of art valuation.quote]

It's not art, it's entertainment. The guy has had the nouse to get hold of a looper pedal and try to beat a current generation of six-stringers at their own game. I don't care for his piano playing. Neither do I care for Hiromi's playing, but I can admire her talent enough to see that the comparison is entirely misguided. Peter Bence may be bemused at the comparison too. If Bence's videos promote piano playing to the next generation who am I to mock?

#2931379 - 06/06/18 05:20 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Joe Muscara]
Bobby Simons Offline

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Originally Posted By: Bobby Simons
I was pleased to find a couple of transcriptions of hers easy enough for me to learn.
Care to share?

Sure. The two I've been playing are "Green Tree Farm" and "Wake Up and Dream" (minus her improv section, too dependent on her quirky strengths that I have not been blessed with.) They will come right up if googled, or I can email you pdf's directly - IM me.

There's a lot of transcriptions out there, including some of the fiendishly difficult ones. 'Tom and Jerry Show' and 'I've Got Rhythm', for instance. I can't imagine being able to think that fast.

#2931381 - 06/06/18 05:25 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES

A hipster beard coupled with a Man-Bun is roughly the equivalent of rocking a mullet with a tom Selleck mustache.

#2931382 - 06/06/18 05:27 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: niacin]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil
Tough crowd.

It takes a lot for me to have the gut-wrenching reactions as some folks here. There's only one style that manages to do it for me - Brazilian funk.

There's a Brazilian couple that does some different covers (combinations of drums, bass and guitar), while I don`t always enjoy it - and they have the bad habit of spamming groups in facebook with repeated links of their material - I'm amazed on the extreme negativity and how often they are just roasted online.

While I don't think every style and every piece contribute positively, I do find this one does take an interesting direction in piano performance, although there are others that appeal to me much more. There is a broad palette of covers in different instruments of popular songs, and I welcome new takes and enjoy being able to choose what moves me.

#2931441 - 06/06/18 10:16 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: mate stubb]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Here, cleanse your palate with Vurro.

Nuh uh. He's barefoot, and as such this doesn't work for me..... laugh

#2931463 - 06/06/18 12:42 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: area51recording]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Evaluating artists critically including (especially!) those better than yourself is part of how you decide what sort of artist you want to be.

Sharing such criticisms is what a forum like this is supposed to be about.

Every criticism is a thesis that invites an antithesis. Because this is art and not science, no definitive conclusion to this process is possible or even appropriate.

"you don't post your music" or "you're not as good as him/her" is not a response to a criticism that advances the conversation.

If the criticizer has to be at least equal in talent to the subject of criticism then, for instance, only Chick Corea is in a position to criticize Hiromi, which he will probably not do because he wants to gig with her again.

Meanwhile, we are all free to decide whether we want to spend our time and talent aiming more towards Hiromi or Joe Sample.

There is no inconsistency in criticizing someone like Bence for taking a pandering approach while at the same time acknowledging that "hey, if people like it and he gets paid for it, more power to him."

roccoromanucci.com

#2931499 - 06/06/18 06:24 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Adan]
jefsco Offline

Loc: birmingham, al
gheez! you guys are tougher on him than the acoustic pianists at pianoworld! laugh
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.p...tml#Post2740231

i think his vids are meant more for amusing, and entertaining, the non-keyboard playing public.

could also inspire more of them to start learning!

Edited by jefsco (06/06/18 06:29 PM)

#2931500 - 06/06/18 06:56 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: jefsco]
EVC Offline

Originally Posted By: jefsco

i think his vids are meant more for amusing, and entertaining, the non-keyboard playing public.

I agree. I found the performance amusing. Moreso on the video below (the guy seemed to have a lot of fun making it and I had a lot of fun watching it):

#2931501 - 06/06/18 07:33 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: EVC]
jefsco Offline

Loc: birmingham, al
Originally Posted By: EVC
I agree. I found the performance amusing. Moreso on the video below (the guy seemed to have a lot of fun making it and I had a lot of fun watching it)

ok! perhaps amusing was not the best choice of words. grin

#2931502 - 06/06/18 07:34 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: EVC]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I disliked the Bence video. It didn’t move me in a positive way at any level. Very much the feeling I get when I hear Kenny G. But clearly many people like Bence’s performance. No surprise there. Different strokes for different folks. That’s what makes the world go round.

#2931513 - 06/06/18 10:17 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: David Loving]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: David Loving
So far, nothing tops the two guys at the Utah pizza place.
For those who haven't seen

#2931541 - 06/07/18 06:15 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: waygetter]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
I merely suggested that we might like to cut fellow keys players a bit of slack. Things are bad enough out there without constantly bitching about others, particularly about what they wear on their damn feet when playing. Sorry, some of you need to get off your high horses.

Anyway, this is obviously the best version of Africa – no more arguments.

#2931552 - 06/07/18 07:31 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have some very harsh, critical things I'd like to say about people who I think are currently making the world a more terrible place . . . but none of those people are playing music.

So on some important level I think people are in the right when they say, hey, give this guy a break, he's just doing his thang.

But on a different level, I think we help ourselves and each other grow as musicians if we're allowed a safe space to talk about music "critically" in an analytical sense.

Just as in the legal field, we would not be effective if we just agreed with every argument everyone said, nor if we said things like "your argument stinks and so do you."

I think the challenge when discussing someone like Bence or, say, KennyG, is to try to make sure you are not motivated, consciously or subconsciously, by professional jealousy.

roccoromanucci.com

#2931553 - 06/07/18 07:35 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

I merely suggested that we might like to cut fellow keys players a bit of slack. Things are bad enough out there without constantly bitching about others, particularly about what they wear on their damn feet when playing. Sorry, some of you need to get off your high horses.

Winner winner chicken dinner laugh

#2931579 - 06/07/18 09:21 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: area51recording]
Bobby Simons Offline

Quote:

Good lord, what was that?? I guess he couldn't hear the monitors, lol.

#2931581 - 06/07/18 09:26 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Holy cow did I love that.

#2931583 - 06/07/18 09:30 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
Bobby Simons Offline

I have a late submission for your consideration, just came across my feed. Full sound effects intro, and sung in Gaelic.

#2931587 - 06/07/18 09:56 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Bobby Simons]
CountFosco Online   content

Ho-ly-crap. Thought I'd join, being a keyboard player n all. First post I saw was a vid of a guy who could play keys. You guys aren't into that? Seems like everyone felt a bit better when a vid of someone who couldn't was posted.

#2931588 - 06/07/18 09:59 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: CountFosco]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Welcome and be sure to enjoy your four minutes of membership.

#2931589 - 06/07/18 10:00 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
CountFosco Online   content

My opinion isn't valid in the presence of a dissenting hall of famer?

#2931598 - 06/07/18 10:39 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: ABECK]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: ABECK

A hipster beard coupled with a Man-Bun is roughly the equivalent of rocking a mullet with a tom Selleck mustache.

Gotta have the flannel shirt/suspenders and multiple tattoos as well... idea

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud MicrophonesCrumar/GSielysiaReverb FoundryRoswell Pro Audio

#2931612 - 06/07/18 11:17 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Dave Bryce]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Wow - that Bobby Kimball stuff is sad. I searched for more recent videos and there are several of that "quality." If it were just his monitors, it wouldn't be so consistently bad.

#2931626 - 06/07/18 11:37 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Joe Muscara]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Wow - that Bobby Kimball stuff is sad. I searched for more recent videos and there are several of that "quality." If it were just his monitors, it wouldn't be so consistently bad.

That's definitely not a monitoring issue.

I am not sure but I think this has been discussed here before. Or maybe a Rosanna clip where he couldn't sing it well? Anyway, for whatever reason, he just...doesn't have it any more. Sad for it to happen so publicly.

#2931635 - 06/07/18 12:09 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: CountFosco]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CountFosco
hall of famer?

That's a stupid typo we've been trying to fix *forever*. It should say "Hell of a Farmer".

#2931646 - 06/07/18 12:34 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Bobby Simons]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Reading some of the comments below the video, some folks seem to think he's already lost his hearing.

They did get one thing right though . . . when it's all gone down the sh#itter, that's the time for a bass solo.

roccoromanucci.com

#2931667 - 06/07/18 01:58 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: DulceLabs.com]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CountFosco
hall of famer?

That's a stupid typo we've been trying to fix *forever*. It should say "Hell of a Farmer".

I'm just glad they finally changed that 't' to an 'm.'

#2931703 - 06/07/18 04:08 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

This thread has taken an odd turn. First, some people are critical of some performers and their playing. Then some people are critical of those people being critical. Then people are critical of the people who are critical of the people who are critical of the performers. Then there's people like me who are critical of ... well, the whole thing. Can't we all just get get along? Or are you critical of that?

#2931704 - 06/07/18 04:10 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles

That's my friend and local San Diego extreme bad ass Jeff Snider (he's on my CD ahem), playing guitar with Bobby here. He has many horror stories about this gig. Bobby's basically horrible to work with these days and obviously not on his game vocally. There's another singer there as a safety net at all times. Looks like that's not even enough.

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

#2932461 - 06/12/18 02:53 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings

^^^ That’s sigline-worthy! thu

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2932464 - 06/12/18 03:34 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Synthaholic]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Synthaholic

I always laugh at the thought that 50 years in the future kids are going to find all these photos of bushy-bearded men in flannel shirts and think, "Man, guys were much tougher then." Like the photos we see of the wild wild west. Little do they know those guys are coming from a chest and pube waxing on their way to a craft cheese-pairing with grapefruit beers and aioli-drizzled avocado toast with locally sourced truffles.

#2932466 - 06/12/18 04:04 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings

I always laugh at the thought that 50 years in the future kids are going to find all these photos of bushy-bearded men in flannel shirts and think, "Man, guys were much tougher then." Like the photos we see of the wild wild west. Little do they know those guys are coming from a chest and pube waxing on their way to a craft cheese-pairing with grapefruit beers and aioli-drizzled avocado toast with locally sourced truffles.

As for the OP, I was entertained for about 25 seconds and then thought "haven’t we seen this schtick before, with drummers leaving their kits to roam the room playing audience member tables, plates and glasses, and guitarists turning their guitars into bongos?". It’s just the latest twist, plus looper. His playing is fine, but as someone pointed out, a bit antiseptic in the feel department. Even without the histrionics he’s not someone who I would seek out to listen to.

As for Africa, I never really get tired of hearing the original, but would prefer to hear ‘Rosanna’ ever single time. Or even ‘Pamela’. I’ve never been bowled over by the Africa solo. To me it’s always sounded like a cheap knock-off of Tony Bank’s solo in ‘Follow You, Follow Me’, which is heaven to my ears creatively, sonically, and musically.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2932477 - 06/12/18 05:47 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Synthaholic]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

A multi-instrumentalist friend had this to say about the Peter Bence video: "As someone who worked with pianos, people putting their sweaty greasy fingers on the strings really bugs me. I hope this guy is a big enough deal to have that $500,000 instrument restrung after this. No problem with clever use of the looper. And he gets the chords right. Not so keen on banging on a half million dollar instrument unless it’s his. That’s almost like someone drumming on a Stradivarius. But if he paid for it, then he can corrode the strings all he likes."

#2932487 - 06/12/18 06:54 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
RABid Offline
10k Club

You all are forgetting the most important aspect of piano performance, Hiromi has better hair. (Or is that Hairomi?)

#2932500 - 06/12/18 10:49 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: El Lobo
A multi-instrumentalist friend had this to say about the Peter Bence video: "As someone who worked with pianos, people putting their sweaty greasy fingers on the strings really bugs me. I hope this guy is a big enough deal to have that $500,000 instrument restrung after this......

A bit over-inflated price wise. You could get easily three 280VCs if you know where to shop. If not, probably just two and one 64 note Bosie. grin

Certainly agree with the sentiment.

2005 NY Steinway D

#2932509 - 06/13/18 02:26 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Synthaholic]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

As for Africa, I never really get tired of hearing the original, but would prefer to hear ‘Rosanna’ ever single time. Or even ‘Pamela’

"Stop Loving You" for me. Anthemic pop with chops. It got a "hands in the air" chorus like Africa, and it just avoids an Axis of Awesome badge of shame by going I-IV-vi-V (not I-V-vi-IV).

Cheers, Mike.

#2932510 - 06/13/18 02:49 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
RobP2 Offline

Loc: Bedford, UK
the mullets of tomorrow!

Now there's a band name!

www.robpoyton.co.uk

#2932518 - 06/13/18 04:44 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: RABid]
Bobby Simons Offline

Originally Posted By: RABid
You all are forgetting the most important aspect of piano performance, Hiromi has better hair.

There’s an impressive transcription of this out there.

#2932522 - 06/13/18 05:21 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Bobby Simons]
Pale Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Croatia, Zagreb

I'll just leave this here.

#2932546 - 06/13/18 07:09 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Pale]
RudyS Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Some people have too much time....

#2932582 - 06/13/18 10:25 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Pale]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Pale

I'll just leave this here.
Although cute, it's also quite annoying.

#2932583 - 06/13/18 10:29 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
retrokeys Offline
Platinum Member

Not nearly as much as the original post. smile

#2932585 - 06/13/18 10:38 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

I've never been a fan of the "Africa" tune. It just struck me as a patched together piece that didn't have any inherent quality or structure of its own. Because of this thread, I brought up a vid on utoob with the lyrics. Those lyrics are even more disjointed than the music. They make little sense and they force an awkward phrasing on the last word of some lines that's just awful. Then I looked at the title phrase "I bless the rains down in Africa" and realized it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the lyrics. What an odd song. After listening to it closely and seeing the lyrics, I like it even less.

#2932599 - 06/13/18 11:55 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've never been a fan of the "Africa" tune. It just struck me as a patched together piece that didn't have any inherent quality or structure of its own. Because of this thread, I brought up a vid on utoob with the lyrics. Those lyrics are even more disjointed than the music. They make little sense and they force an awkward phrasing on the last word of some lines that's just awful. Then I looked at the title phrase "I bless the rains down in Africa" and realized it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the lyrics. What an odd song. After listening to it closely and seeing the lyrics, I like it even less.

Yep. Earlier in the thread I described a similar response to the song. I always struck me as a novelty tune, and TBH I would be completely comfortable including it in the "Crappy songs" thread. It just sounds so good, and has such strong pedigree, that I think people are hesitant to point out that the pharoah has no clothes.

#2932663 - 06/13/18 08:38 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2932669 - 06/13/18 08:58 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: mate stubb]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
roll roll roll roll that got me good

#2932710 - 06/14/18 07:26 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Then I looked at the title phrase "I bless the rains down in Africa" and realized it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the lyrics.

Really? Hmm. Doesn't Toto deserve the same poetic license as, say, David Bowie, whose lyrics often don't make any overt sense?

But to me this isn't even a big stretch. Some do-gooding dude has a relationship with the dark continent that in the context of the song is somehow reaching a revelatory stage . . . hence the "I bless the rains . . .". It doesn't make perfect sense because it doesn't have to.

I loved this song when it first came out, then like so much pop music, it got overplayed and I got tired of it because, in my view, it's just a crafty pop tune, it's not "The Weight" or anything like that that I'll be appreciating until I die.

I've done a solo piano version of it for a few years now because it always gets a good reaction and it's fun to play even if it's not a great vehicle for improve.

By the way, look at the lyrics for "The Weight." Do they may much sense? It's a guy wandering through a town, maybe, who knows . . .

roccoromanucci.com

#2932739 - 06/14/18 09:52 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Adan]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Adan
Doesn't Toto deserve the same poetic license as, say, David Bowie, whose lyrics often don't make any overt sense?
Everybody deserves poetic license ... as long as the poetry is good.

It doesn't make perfect sense because it doesn't have to.
No, it doesn't have to make perfect sense. But it does have to convey a feeling or an impression or something.

in my view, it's just a crafty pop tune, it's not "The Weight" or anything like that that I'll be appreciating until I die.
Exactly. "Africa" (and Toto) are about popcraft, not great songwriting. "The Weight" on the other hand is great songwriting because it's personal, yet expressive in a universal feeling sort of way. It's poetry.

By the way, look at the lyrics for "The Weight." Do they may much sense? It's a guy wandering through a town, maybe, who knows . . .
Taken very literally, in a concrete way, the lyrics don't make a lot of sense. But as expressions of feeling, of a complex sense of place and emotion, the lyrics make a lot of sense to me as poetry. It's why the song is a classic.

In Levon Helm's autobiography This Wheel's On Fire: Levon Helm And The Story Of The Band, he explained:
'We had two or three tunes, or pieces of tunes, and 'The Weight' was one I would work on. Robbie had that bit about going down to Nazareth - Pennsylvania, where the Martin guitar factory is at. The song was full of our favorite characters. 'Luke' was Jimmy Ray Paulman. 'Young Anna Lee' was Anna Lee Williams from Turkey Scratch. 'Crazy Chester' was a guy we all knew from Fayetteville who came into town on Saturdays wearing a full set of cap guns on his hips and kinda walked around town to help keep the peace, if you follow me. He was like Hopalong Cassidy, and he was a friend of the Hawks. Ronnie would always check with Crazy Chester to make sure there wasn't any trouble around town. And Chester would reassure him that everything was peaceable and not to worry, because he was on the case. Two big cap guns, he wore, plus a toupee! There were also 'Carmen and the Devil', 'Miss Moses' and 'Fanny,' a name that just seemed to fit the picture. (I believe she looked a lot like Caladonia.) We recorded the song maybe four times. We weren't really sure it was going to be on the album, but people really liked it. Rick, Richard, and I would switch the verses around among us, and we all sang the chorus: Put the load right on me!"
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=420

#2932740 - 06/14/18 09:55 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
Mjazz Offline

Loc: CA US
Quote:
Steve ‘Luke’ Lukather, guitarist:

“If this is a hit,” I said, “I’ll run naked down Hollywood Boulevard.” I thought the song had a brilliant tune, but I remember listening to the lyrics and going: “Dave, man, Africa? We’re from north Hollywood. What the f*** are you writing about? ‘I bless the rains down in Africa?’ Are you Jesus, Dave?”

Then we made a video that was so full cheese. They built this stage that looked like a pile of giant books and stood us on top of it. You can see me laughing. I hated videos and I hate the 80s for the mullet I used to have – and the clothes they put us in to make us look androgynous. We are not that band. On the cover of the single I have a look on my face that says: “I’m gonna kill you.” And now I have to sit here and eat my words because Africa has become a standard and I’m very proud of David for it.

#2932741 - 06/14/18 09:59 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mjazz]
Mjazz Offline

Loc: CA US
On the list of inane, lazy, WTF, but #1 hit lyrics, I think you'd definitely have to include these:

Quote:
On the first part of the journey
I was looking at all the life
There were plants and birds and rocks and things
There was sand and hills and rings
The first thing I met was a fly with a buzz
And the sky with no clouds
The heat was hot and the ground was dry
But the air was full of sound
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain
La, la
After two days in the desert sun
My skin began to turn red
After three days in the desert fun
I was looking at a river bed
And the story it told of a river that flowed
Made me sad to think it was dead
You see I've been through the desert on a horse with no name
La, la
After nine days I let the horse run free
'Cause the desert had turned to sea
There were plants and birds and rocks and things
there was sand and hills and rings
The ocean is a desert with it's life underground
And a perfect disguise above
Under the cities lies a heart made of ground
But the humans will give no love
You see I've been through the desert on a horse with no name
La, la

#2932743 - 06/14/18 10:04 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mjazz]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

"Horse With No Name" and "Ventura Highway" should both be in the crappy songs thread.

#2932787 - 06/14/18 01:46 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Quote:
"Horse With No Name" and "Ventura Highway" should both be in the crappy songs thread.

Amen to that brother. Someone suggests either one of those for a set list and I'm out the door. Those tunes are garbage.

#2932836 - 06/14/18 07:22 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:

Amen to that brother. Someone suggests either one of those for a set list and I'm out the door.

Good to know!

#2932841 - 06/14/18 08:27 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: DulceLabs.com]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Quote:

Amen to that brother. Someone suggests either one of those for a set list and I'm out the door.

Good to know!
rollroll

#2932893 - 06/15/18 07:30 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: waygetter]
mediocrepianist Offline

The comparison to Liberace is ridiculous. Musically for obvious reasons but showmanship wise as well. Liberace put a lot of flamboyance into his playing but most of it still treat the instrument with respect, this guy is almost beating up his piano. Could you imagine the reaction if a guitarist started going over his fret strings with a knife in the middle of song, why is slamming your piano case any different?

#2933034 - 06/15/18 11:33 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: mediocrepianist]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mediocrepianist
The comparison to Liberace is ridiculous. Musically for obvious reasons but showmanship wise as well. Liberace put a lot of flamboyance into his playing but most of it still treat the instrument with respect, this guy is almost beating up his piano. Could you imagine the reaction if a guitarist started going over his fret strings with a knife in the middle of song, why is slamming your piano case any different?

FWIW, plenty of guys use knives on their strings, including the man widely credited with originating the Delta Blues, Henry Sloan. We (the general public) have a music called "the Blues" because the composer W.C. Handy watched a man playing guitar in a train station. The man was using a knife as a slide. Handy then went off and formalized some of what he'd heard, including assigning scale tones to those "slid" pitches. (He also formalized the 12-bar and AAB structure, contrary to the common misconception that these elements had come from the original practitioners themselves.)

The man he heard is generally thought to have been Henry Sloan, who is believed to be the first player/singer to put field shouts to music, making him the progenitor of the music that came to be called the Blues. Plenty since then have used knives for slides.

As for beating up the piano, well, plenty of players play or composers write for the "inside" of the piano or the percussive possibilities of the outside, given the incredibly efficient natural amplification of the instrument. That's been pretty commonplace for at least the last 100 years. But as others point out, playing the inside will destroy the felts or put finger oil on the strings, so this guy had some cojones doing it to that particular piano.

#2933116 - 06/16/18 11:39 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: mediocrepianist

FWIW, plenty of guys use knives on their strings, including the man widely credited with originating the Delta Blues, Henry Sloan. We (the general public) have a music called "the Blues" because the composer W.C. Handy watched a man playing guitar in a train station. The man was using a knife as a slide. Handy then went off and formalized some of what he'd heard, including assigning scale tones to those "slid" pitches. (He also formalized the 12-bar and AAB structure, contrary to the common misconception that these elements had come from the original practitioners themselves.)

The man he heard is generally thought to have been Henry Sloan, who is believed to be the first player/singer to put field shouts to music, making him the progenitor of the music that came to be called the Blues. Plenty since then have used knives for slides.
And Bill Frisell is known for bending the necks of his guitar while he plays.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner