Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2931581 - 06/07/18 09:26 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Aidan

Holy cow did I love that.

KC Island
#2931583 - 06/07/18 09:30 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
Bobby Simons Online   content

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
I have a late submission for your consideration, just came across my feed. Full sound effects intro, and sung in Gaelic.

#2931587 - 06/07/18 09:56 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Bobby Simons]
CountFosco Offline

Ho-ly-crap. Thought I'd join, being a keyboard player n all. First post I saw was a vid of a guy who could play keys. You guys aren't into that? Seems like everyone felt a bit better when a vid of someone who couldn't was posted.

#2931588 - 06/07/18 09:59 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: CountFosco]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Welcome and be sure to enjoy your four minutes of membership.

#2931589 - 06/07/18 10:00 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
CountFosco Offline

My opinion isn't valid in the presence of a dissenting hall of famer?

#2931598 - 06/07/18 10:39 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: ABECK]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: ABECK

As for hipster beards, I just find them hilarious rather than irritating – they're the mullets of tomorrow!

A hipster beard coupled with a Man-Bun is roughly the equivalent of rocking a mullet with a tom Selleck mustache.

Gotta have the flannel shirt/suspenders and multiple tattoos as well... idea

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud MicrophonesCrumar/GSielysiaReverb FoundryRoswell Pro Audio

#2931612 - 06/07/18 11:17 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Dave Bryce]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Wow - that Bobby Kimball stuff is sad. I searched for more recent videos and there are several of that "quality." If it were just his monitors, it wouldn't be so consistently bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2931626 - 06/07/18 11:37 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Joe Muscara]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Wow - that Bobby Kimball stuff is sad. I searched for more recent videos and there are several of that "quality." If it were just his monitors, it wouldn't be so consistently bad.

That's definitely not a monitoring issue.

I am not sure but I think this has been discussed here before. Or maybe a Rosanna clip where he couldn't sing it well? Anyway, for whatever reason, he just...doesn't have it any more. Sad for it to happen so publicly.

#2931635 - 06/07/18 12:09 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: CountFosco]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Originally Posted By: CountFosco
hall of famer?

That's a stupid typo we've been trying to fix *forever*. It should say "Hell of a Farmer".

#2931646 - 06/07/18 12:34 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Bobby Simons]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
Reading some of the comments below the video, some folks seem to think he's already lost his hearing.

They did get one thing right though . . . when it's all gone down the sh#itter, that's the time for a bass solo.

roccoromanucci.com

#2931667 - 06/07/18 01:58 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: DulceLabs.com]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: DulceLabs.com
Originally Posted By: CountFosco
hall of famer?

That's a stupid typo we've been trying to fix *forever*. It should say "Hell of a Farmer".

I'm just glad they finally changed that 't' to an 'm.'

#2931703 - 06/07/18 04:08 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
El Lobo Online   confused
Gold Member

This thread has taken an odd turn. First, some people are critical of some performers and their playing. Then some people are critical of those people being critical. Then people are critical of the people who are critical of the people who are critical of the performers. Then there's people like me who are critical of ... well, the whole thing. Can't we all just get get along? Or are you critical of that?

#2931704 - 06/07/18 04:10 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Anyway, this is obviously the best version of Africa – no more arguments.

That's my friend and local San Diego extreme bad ass Jeff Snider (he's on my CD ahem), playing guitar with Bobby here. He has many horror stories about this gig. Bobby's basically horrible to work with these days and obviously not on his game vocally. There's another singer there as a safety net at all times. Looks like that's not even enough.

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

#2932461 - 06/12/18 02:53 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
As for hipster beards, I just find them hilarious rather than irritating – they're the mullets of tomorrow!

^^^ That’s sigline-worthy! thu

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2932464 - 06/12/18 03:34 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Synthaholic]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Synthaholic

I always laugh at the thought that 50 years in the future kids are going to find all these photos of bushy-bearded men in flannel shirts and think, "Man, guys were much tougher then." Like the photos we see of the wild wild west. Little do they know those guys are coming from a chest and pube waxing on their way to a craft cheese-pairing with grapefruit beers and aioli-drizzled avocado toast with locally sourced truffles.

#2932466 - 06/12/18 04:04 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects

I always laugh at the thought that 50 years in the future kids are going to find all these photos of bushy-bearded men in flannel shirts and think, "Man, guys were much tougher then." Like the photos we see of the wild wild west. Little do they know those guys are coming from a chest and pube waxing on their way to a craft cheese-pairing with grapefruit beers and aioli-drizzled avocado toast with locally sourced truffles.

As for the OP, I was entertained for about 25 seconds and then thought "haven’t we seen this schtick before, with drummers leaving their kits to roam the room playing audience member tables, plates and glasses, and guitarists turning their guitars into bongos?". It’s just the latest twist, plus looper. His playing is fine, but as someone pointed out, a bit antiseptic in the feel department. Even without the histrionics he’s not someone who I would seek out to listen to.

As for Africa, I never really get tired of hearing the original, but would prefer to hear ‘Rosanna’ ever single time. Or even ‘Pamela’. I’ve never been bowled over by the Africa solo. To me it’s always sounded like a cheap knock-off of Tony Bank’s solo in ‘Follow You, Follow Me’, which is heaven to my ears creatively, sonically, and musically.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2932477 - 06/12/18 05:47 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Synthaholic]
Gold Member

A multi-instrumentalist friend had this to say about the Peter Bence video: "As someone who worked with pianos, people putting their sweaty greasy fingers on the strings really bugs me. I hope this guy is a big enough deal to have that $500,000 instrument restrung after this. No problem with clever use of the looper. And he gets the chords right. Not so keen on banging on a half million dollar instrument unless it’s his. That’s almost like someone drumming on a Stradivarius. But if he paid for it, then he can corrode the strings all he likes."

#2932487 - 06/12/18 06:54 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
RABid Offline
10k Club

You all are forgetting the most important aspect of piano performance, Hiromi has better hair. (Or is that Hairomi?)

#2932500 - 06/12/18 10:49 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: El Lobo
A multi-instrumentalist friend had this to say about the Peter Bence video: "As someone who worked with pianos, people putting their sweaty greasy fingers on the strings really bugs me. I hope this guy is a big enough deal to have that $500,000 instrument restrung after this......

A bit over-inflated price wise. You could get easily three 280VCs if you know where to shop. If not, probably just two and one 64 note Bosie. grin

Certainly agree with the sentiment.

2005 NY Steinway D

#2932509 - 06/13/18 02:26 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Synthaholic]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

As for Africa, I never really get tired of hearing the original, but would prefer to hear ‘Rosanna’ ever single time. Or even ‘Pamela’

"Stop Loving You" for me. Anthemic pop with chops. It got a "hands in the air" chorus like Africa, and it just avoids an Axis of Awesome badge of shame by going I-IV-vi-V (not I-V-vi-IV).

Cheers, Mike.

#2932510 - 06/13/18 02:49 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
RobP2 Offline

Loc: Bedford, UK
the mullets of tomorrow!

Now there's a band name!

www.robpoyton.co.uk

#2932518 - 06/13/18 04:44 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: RABid]
Bobby Simons Online   content

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Originally Posted By: RABid
You all are forgetting the most important aspect of piano performance, Hiromi has better hair.

There’s an impressive transcription of this out there.

#2932522 - 06/13/18 05:21 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Bobby Simons]
Pale Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Croatia, Zagreb

I'll just leave this here.

#2932546 - 06/13/18 07:09 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Pale]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Some people have too much time....

#2932582 - 06/13/18 10:25 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Pale]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Pale

I'll just leave this here.
Although cute, it's also quite annoying.

#2932583 - 06/13/18 10:29 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
retrokeys Offline
Platinum Member

Not nearly as much as the original post. smile

#2932585 - 06/13/18 10:38 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
Gold Member

I've never been a fan of the "Africa" tune. It just struck me as a patched together piece that didn't have any inherent quality or structure of its own. Because of this thread, I brought up a vid on utoob with the lyrics. Those lyrics are even more disjointed than the music. They make little sense and they force an awkward phrasing on the last word of some lines that's just awful. Then I looked at the title phrase "I bless the rains down in Africa" and realized it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the lyrics. What an odd song. After listening to it closely and seeing the lyrics, I like it even less.

#2932599 - 06/13/18 11:55 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: El Lobo
I've never been a fan of the "Africa" tune. It just struck me as a patched together piece that didn't have any inherent quality or structure of its own. Because of this thread, I brought up a vid on utoob with the lyrics. Those lyrics are even more disjointed than the music. They make little sense and they force an awkward phrasing on the last word of some lines that's just awful. Then I looked at the title phrase "I bless the rains down in Africa" and realized it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the lyrics. What an odd song. After listening to it closely and seeing the lyrics, I like it even less.

Yep. Earlier in the thread I described a similar response to the song. I always struck me as a novelty tune, and TBH I would be completely comfortable including it in the "Crappy songs" thread. It just sounds so good, and has such strong pedigree, that I think people are hesitant to point out that the pharoah has no clothes.

#2932663 - 06/13/18 08:38 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2932669 - 06/13/18 08:58 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: mate stubb]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: mate stubb
roll roll roll roll that got me good

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner