Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2931254 - 06/05/18 09:01 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Rod S]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
I honestly don't see any comparison at all between Bence and Hiromi, except that they both play piano. Hiromi's sin is that she smiles while she plays. But all her energy and motion is playing-directed. And she is off the charts in terms of skill--truly one of the greats of our age, IMO, even with the listener's eyes closed.

It's best I stop there.

KC Island
#2931255 - 06/05/18 09:03 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Bobby Simons]
Joe Muscara Online   content
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Bobby Simons
I was pleased to find a couple of transcriptions of hers easy enough for me to learn.
Care to share?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2931265 - 06/05/18 09:46 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Joe Muscara]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It took less than a minute for me to go from zero to curmudgeon on this one. It's not just that I think it's terrible; it's that having watched it, I now think the world is a slightly more terrible place.

#2931275 - 06/05/18 10:11 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Josh Paxton]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Josh Paxton
It took less than a minute for me to go from zero to curmudgeon on this one. It's not just that I think it's terrible; it's that having watched it, I now think the world is a slightly more terrible place.

I laughed and laughed.

I think we need to hang.

#2931277 - 06/05/18 10:21 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Josh Paxton]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

thu laugh

2005 NY Steinway D

#2931280 - 06/05/18 10:37 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Dave Ferris]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
The Piano Guys irritate me much more than Peter Bence. YMMV. I agree about Hiromi as well.

#2931281 - 06/05/18 11:00 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Here, cleanse your palate with Vurro.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2931285 - 06/05/18 11:13 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
vanderSchoot Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
I honestly don't see any comparison at all between Bence and Hiromi, except that they both play piano. Hiromi's sin is that she smiles while she plays. But all her energy and motion is playing-directed. And she is off the charts in terms of skill--truly one of the greats of our age, IMO, even with the listener's eyes closed.

It's best I stop there.

There is no comparison, because from a technical point of view Hiromi is much, much better.

However I truly dislike the type of (experimental) jazz she plays at times.....
Of course she is brilliant if one could measure technical ability and other instrumental skills.
I only wrote what i wrote because different people like different things no matter how gifted the involved muscians.
Just like some really dislike Peter Bence for all sorts of personal reasons.
Read below the very best of classical pianists on youtube,....... there are many people who dislike a certain performance no matter at what insane high level it was executed.

I applaud Peter Bence for playing pop music on the piano...... it's refreshing to hear because of the stranglehold that classical and jazz piano still have in 'pianoland'.

#2931287 - 06/05/18 11:30 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Loc: Mainland Florida
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects

I laughed and laughed.

I think we need to hang.

I agree. Us 3 should hang.

Anytime you're passing through Kissimmee, PM me. Orlando, Daytona, Titusville and of course Kissimmee are my stomping grounds. Grew up in Bangor, PA but moved down here in 2K12. Lovin' every minute of it.

Edited by MojoGuyPan (06/05/18 11:34 AM)

#2931317 - 06/05/18 03:11 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
We're a rum old lot, aren't we? We continually moan that keyboard players don't get their work recognised, yet as soon as one of us has the marketing gumption – and talent – to make a bit of noise in the big wide world, we're on his throat like a pack of weasels.

No, it's not really my thing either but the guy is helping to raise the profile of the poor old pianist a bit, he can play a bit and is (hopefully) making something approaching a living out of it. I note that of the people criticising, I've never seen 90% of you putting your own work forward for scrutiny and comment.

As for hipster beards, I just find them hilarious rather than irritating – they're the mullets of tomorrow!

#2931318 - 06/05/18 03:20 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
arX Offline

Loc: London
Originally Posted By: Aidan
We're a rum old lot, aren't we? We continually moan that keyboard players don't get their work recognised, yet as soon as one of us has the marketing gumption – and talent – to make a bit of noise in the big wide world, we're on his throat like a pack of weasels.

No, it's not really my thing either but the guy is helping to raise the profile of the poor old pianist a bit, he can play a bit and is (hopefully) making something approaching a living out of it. I note that of the people criticising, I've never seen 90% of you putting your own work forward for scrutiny and comment.

As for hipster beards, I just find them hilarious rather than irritating – they're the mullets of tomorrow!

Couldn't have put it any better.

#2931327 - 06/05/18 04:22 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: arX]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Actually most of the folks horrified by that clip post their/own stuff fairly frequently

#2931330 - 06/05/18 04:49 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
But certainly not all wink There were nuances to some critiques, but again, not all.

Coughcoughsomefolksseemeddeterminedtosoundmoredatedthantheirgrandparentscoughcough.

#2931333 - 06/05/18 05:45 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Redknife Offline

Loc: Lewisville, NC
I’ll reply as one who expressed disdain, did not include a dissertation, and have not posted my work here.
I for one reserve the right to voice my opinion on art, particularly in a realm of life-long pursuit. I appreciate the initial post and watched the video multiple times. A dissertation on all of the reasons I find the performance bothersome would not align with my opinion that art can elicit emotions and opinions that can’t be explained by logic. Were I to write a graduate paper on the performance, I could certainly fill page upon page of support for my disdain. That would not change the fact that I summarily hate what he has done musically. I don’t believe that all performances add to the cultural valuation of pianists. In fact, I can think of few performances that better suit my point. I don’t believe view counts are a marker of art valuation.
As to posting my own material for evaluation, I haven’t here. I, like the rest here have spent a lifetime producing musical art for others while facing immediate connection or lack thereof. Should my life situation change to the extent that I can post material on this forum, I will certainly do so. Until then, I assert personal agency regardless of some notion of first and second class forum members. I will occasionally post on the forum, perhaps for the better and perhaps not.

#2931362 - 06/05/18 09:38 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Redknife]
MP Hall of Fame Member

This thread took an unfortunate turn. We’re all welcome to like or dislike any public act we want, and we don’t have to provide a single bona fide to do it. I don’t think it was necessary or helpful to make it personal. Just my two scents.

#2931368 - 06/06/18 01:03 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Redknife]
niacin Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: down under
[quote=Redknife]
I for one reserve the right to voice my opinion on art, particularly in a realm of life-long pursuit. I appreciate the initial post and watched the video multiple times. A dissertation on all of the reasons I find the performance bothersome would not align with my opinion that art can elicit emotions and opinions that can&#146;t be explained by logic. Were I to write a graduate paper on the performance, I could certainly fill page upon page of support for my disdain. That would not change the fact that I summarily hate what he has done musically. I don&#146;t believe that all performances add to the cultural valuation of pianists. In fact, I can think of few performances that better suit my point. I don&#146;t believe view counts are a marker of art valuation.quote]

It's not art, it's entertainment. The guy has had the nouse to get hold of a looper pedal and try to beat a current generation of six-stringers at their own game. I don't care for his piano playing. Neither do I care for Hiromi's playing, but I can admire her talent enough to see that the comparison is entirely misguided. Peter Bence may be bemused at the comparison too. If Bence's videos promote piano playing to the next generation who am I to mock?

#2931379 - 06/06/18 05:20 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Joe Muscara]
Bobby Simons Online   content

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Originally Posted By: Bobby Simons
I was pleased to find a couple of transcriptions of hers easy enough for me to learn.
Care to share?

Sure. The two I've been playing are "Green Tree Farm" and "Wake Up and Dream" (minus her improv section, too dependent on her quirky strengths that I have not been blessed with.) They will come right up if googled, or I can email you pdf's directly - IM me.

There's a lot of transcriptions out there, including some of the fiendishly difficult ones. 'Tom and Jerry Show' and 'I've Got Rhythm', for instance. I can't imagine being able to think that fast.

#2931381 - 06/06/18 05:25 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES

A hipster beard coupled with a Man-Bun is roughly the equivalent of rocking a mullet with a tom Selleck mustache.

#2931382 - 06/06/18 05:27 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: niacin]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil
Tough crowd.

It takes a lot for me to have the gut-wrenching reactions as some folks here. There's only one style that manages to do it for me - Brazilian funk.

There's a Brazilian couple that does some different covers (combinations of drums, bass and guitar), while I don`t always enjoy it - and they have the bad habit of spamming groups in facebook with repeated links of their material - I'm amazed on the extreme negativity and how often they are just roasted online.

While I don't think every style and every piece contribute positively, I do find this one does take an interesting direction in piano performance, although there are others that appeal to me much more. There is a broad palette of covers in different instruments of popular songs, and I welcome new takes and enjoy being able to choose what moves me.

#2931441 - 06/06/18 10:16 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: mate stubb]
area51recording Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Here, cleanse your palate with Vurro.

Nuh uh. He's barefoot, and as such this doesn't work for me..... laugh

#2931463 - 06/06/18 12:42 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: area51recording]
Adan Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
Evaluating artists critically including (especially!) those better than yourself is part of how you decide what sort of artist you want to be.

Sharing such criticisms is what a forum like this is supposed to be about.

Every criticism is a thesis that invites an antithesis. Because this is art and not science, no definitive conclusion to this process is possible or even appropriate.

"you don't post your music" or "you're not as good as him/her" is not a response to a criticism that advances the conversation.

If the criticizer has to be at least equal in talent to the subject of criticism then, for instance, only Chick Corea is in a position to criticize Hiromi, which he will probably not do because he wants to gig with her again.

Meanwhile, we are all free to decide whether we want to spend our time and talent aiming more towards Hiromi or Joe Sample.

There is no inconsistency in criticizing someone like Bence for taking a pandering approach while at the same time acknowledging that "hey, if people like it and he gets paid for it, more power to him."

roccoromanucci.com

#2931499 - 06/06/18 06:24 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Adan]
jefsco Offline

Loc: birmingham, al
gheez! you guys are tougher on him than the acoustic pianists at pianoworld! laugh
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.p...tml#Post2740231

i think his vids are meant more for amusing, and entertaining, the non-keyboard playing public.

could also inspire more of them to start learning!

Edited by jefsco (06/06/18 06:29 PM)

#2931500 - 06/06/18 06:56 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: jefsco]
EVC Offline

Originally Posted By: jefsco

i think his vids are meant more for amusing, and entertaining, the non-keyboard playing public.

I agree. I found the performance amusing. Moreso on the video below (the guy seemed to have a lot of fun making it and I had a lot of fun watching it):

#2931501 - 06/06/18 07:33 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: EVC]
jefsco Offline

Loc: birmingham, al
Originally Posted By: EVC
I agree. I found the performance amusing. Moreso on the video below (the guy seemed to have a lot of fun making it and I had a lot of fun watching it)

ok! perhaps amusing was not the best choice of words. grin

#2931502 - 06/06/18 07:34 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: EVC]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I disliked the Bence video. It didn’t move me in a positive way at any level. Very much the feeling I get when I hear Kenny G. But clearly many people like Bence’s performance. No surprise there. Different strokes for different folks. That’s what makes the world go round.

#2931513 - 06/06/18 10:17 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: David Loving]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: David Loving
So far, nothing tops the two guys at the Utah pizza place.
For those who haven't seen

#2931541 - 06/07/18 06:15 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: waygetter]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
I merely suggested that we might like to cut fellow keys players a bit of slack. Things are bad enough out there without constantly bitching about others, particularly about what they wear on their damn feet when playing. Sorry, some of you need to get off your high horses.

Anyway, this is obviously the best version of Africa – no more arguments.

#2931552 - 06/07/18 07:31 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
Adan Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
I have some very harsh, critical things I'd like to say about people who I think are currently making the world a more terrible place . . . but none of those people are playing music.

So on some important level I think people are in the right when they say, hey, give this guy a break, he's just doing his thang.

But on a different level, I think we help ourselves and each other grow as musicians if we're allowed a safe space to talk about music "critically" in an analytical sense.

Just as in the legal field, we would not be effective if we just agreed with every argument everyone said, nor if we said things like "your argument stinks and so do you."

I think the challenge when discussing someone like Bence or, say, KennyG, is to try to make sure you are not motivated, consciously or subconsciously, by professional jealousy.

roccoromanucci.com

#2931553 - 06/07/18 07:35 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Aidan]
area51recording Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
I merely suggested that we might like to cut fellow keys players a bit of slack. Things are bad enough out there without constantly bitching about others, particularly about what they wear on their damn feet when playing. Sorry, some of you need to get off your high horses.

Winner winner chicken dinner laugh

#2931579 - 06/07/18 09:21 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: area51recording]
Bobby Simons Online   content

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Quote:

Good lord, what was that?? I guess he couldn't hear the monitors, lol.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner