Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2930938 - 06/03/18 10:46 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Dr88s]
MaskOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Dr88s
I've seen him before. I liked him much better without all of the pomp and theatrics.

This is a pretty cool arrangement and well executed performance without the same degree of histrionics.

Holy cow did I hate that.

KC Island
#2930939 - 06/03/18 10:50 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MaskOfInsects]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
On a separate subject, this post was literally the third I saw yesterday dealing with updated arrangements of that song. (One on FB, one on one of those viral click-on-me feeds, and one here.)

Just curious about your thoughts: why this song? Is it kitschy/hipster-ironic? Did something in pop culture put it back into play? What's the story?

My 21 year old daughter (and huge contemporary music fan) loves this song, and I can't figure out why either. She let me know Weezer covered it also. Go figure?

#2930940 - 06/03/18 10:53 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MaskOfInsects]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
According to Know Your Meme, not much more than a South Park nod and a slow accumulation of YouTube covers, turning into a Subreddit, turning into etc. I sang a similar arrangement to the one posted when I was in high school choir.

I think part of it would have to do with the way pop culture cycles in around 30ish year phases, as generations grow up and mimic their parents nostalgia, in both humorous and serious artistic applications.

#2930942 - 06/03/18 10:55 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Also, Africa is a great song with an epic chorus. It's so damn catchy, it won't be denied, just like Don't Stop Believing. Those two songs really do travel across generations thanks to the strength of the hook and the overall songwriting quality.

#2930943 - 06/03/18 11:13 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
MaskOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
Also, Africa is a great song with an epic chorus. It's so damn catchy, it won't be denied, just like Don't Stop Believing. Those two songs really do travel across generations thanks to the strength of the hook and the overall songwriting quality.

It's the four-chords too! I guess I feel differently about it having heard it the first time around. It seemed like kind of a well-produced novelty song to me at the time, and I somehow always felt the synth sound was dated (really, too evocative of the time) even when it was out. So I enjoyed it as ear candy, but never thought of it as as anthemic as "Don't Stop," which we sang to exactly as caucasially as people do now, from the very beginning.

According to Know Your Meme...

....a site I now know exists!

I think part of it would have to do with the way pop culture cycles in around 30ish year phases, as generations grow up and mimic their parents nostalgia, in both humorous and serious artistic applications.

For sure, and all those 80's callback tunes and even the retro-disco tunes are solidly in that category.

I have a 30-day nostalgia cycle. Or as some people call it, brain damage.

#2930968 - 06/04/18 06:40 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MaskOfInsects]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Loc: Mainland Florida
Just curious about your thoughts: why this song? Is it kitschy/hipster-ironic? Did something in pop culture put it back into play? What's the story?

That's the other reason for my disdain. His song choice is the peak of "hipster ironic." It's like he's trying to work it from all angles. Make no mistake, this song isn't being revived, it's being mocked. Not that I have a problem with it since the lyrics are stupid and Toto's video even worse. Toto exemplified the worst of corporate rock.

This avocado toast eating, PBR drinking, fixie riding, hipster crap needs to die.

I personally think that he'd have gotten even more views if if chose to cover the Facts of Life theme song this way. You take the good and in this case you take the very bad.

#2930970 - 06/04/18 06:54 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MaskOfInsects]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
caucasially

Word.

Word?

#2930975 - 06/04/18 07:13 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Huh - 8 years since that Mike Masse thing? Man I hate that version with a passion. TRY LEARNING TO COUNT! I'll give the Angel City version a pass though.

Cheers, Mike.

#2930989 - 06/04/18 07:54 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: stoken6]
Nadroj Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Few crusty folks here today. This is already another Phish thread, isn't it?

Dude can play, he racks in the views. Fair play to him. Wouldn't say I love it, but can see why it appeals to people. To the brothers here stating their opinions as if they're absolutes; shush. Music is subjective. One mans trash is another man's treasure.

Edited by Nadroj (06/04/18 07:55 AM)

#2930990 - 06/04/18 08:05 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: kbrkr]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
Sorry, but I call fake. When does he hit the looper pedal to turn on/off the looping? Is it part of the Bosen' damper pedal?

Careful, your lack of understanding of looping technology is showing. wink

I can provide links if anyone's interested in knowing how this can be done hands-off, without needing someone physically triggering a loop device. twothumbs

#2930996 - 06/04/18 08:19 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
MojoGuyPan Offline

My unbiased opinion is that this guy is much better and exhibits a sense of humility and genuine passion.

The dude even plays a cover of Bence's Bad cover better than Bence on his Kurzweil. I've subbed to Kim, not Bence.

#2931018 - 06/04/18 09:31 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
MojoGuyPan Offline

This one checks all the Keyboard Corner boxes: Casio DP, dangerously adjusted X-stand, nerdy Buster Bluth looking piano player on backing vocals, found the sheet music, and a hipster chick belting it out tying it all together.

Time for me to start an ironic song cover band in my neck of the swamp.

#2931037 - 06/04/18 10:08 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

I don't know why bare feet bothers anybody. In other videos, whatshisname plays with shoes on. My drummer plays with bare feet. She has red polish on her toenails. She's an excellent drummer.

I've read all the posts in this thread and watched all the videos. For me, what's missing in all of them is soul. Mad skills yes, flash technique. But where's the feeling, the emotion? Why am I not moved?

I'm trying to come up with a version of "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing." It's just an empty hole if it ain't got that soul?

#2931040 - 06/04/18 10:10 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: El Lobo]
David Loving Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
So far, nothing tops the two guys at the Utah pizza place.

#2931042 - 06/04/18 10:21 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: David Loving]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
I'm with Kim (see what I did there?), but his Bad rendition is more relevant to this discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGvp5F9c17U

roccoromanucci.com

#2931051 - 06/04/18 10:47 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Wastrel]
Mike Davis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Wastrel
caucasially

Word.

Word?

Also a word: plethora

#2931064 - 06/04/18 11:26 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: MojoGuyPan
Make no mistake, this song isn't being revived, it's being mocked. Not that I have a problem with it since the lyrics are stupid and Toto's video even worse.

I hear this song all the time. I still dig it and like to play it. To be fair - you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a stupid music video made in 1982.

This avocado toast eating, PBR drinking, fixie riding, hipster crap needs to die.

Aside from Avocado (which I do love), I couldn't agree more. Can we throw in oversized beards, dark rimmed glasses and wearing wool hats indoors?

#2931067 - 06/04/18 11:29 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mike Davis]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Backstory of "Africa" is interesting - was an afterthought sleeper on the album and just blew up.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/q80s-totos-dave-paich-on-writing-and-recording-africa/

#2931068 - 06/04/18 11:36 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: eric]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
Originally Posted By: eric
What do you guys think about this one?

https://youtu.be/n3JdNGAv8hc

Oy, fantastic! One of my favorite tunes as well....

#2931070 - 06/04/18 11:41 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
This one checks all the Keyboard Corner boxes: Casio DP, dangerously adjusted X-stand, nerdy Buster Bluth looking piano player on backing vocals, found the sheet music, and a hipster chick belting it out tying it all together.

Time for me to start an ironic song cover band in my neck of the swamp.

Okay.....what department do I go to to get the 17 seconds of my life I spent on that back?

#2931077 - 06/04/18 12:03 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: cphollis]
hatricklov Offline

Loc: CO
Originally Posted By: cphollis
Yeah, well I did a bit of deep googling on Collier's custom-built "harmonizer", and I WANT ONE. Roland, Kord, et.al -- are you listening? $$$$ It's not a vocoder, it's real-time assisted pitch shifting. How cool.

Seems you can get close with an Eventide Quadravox plug-in and a bunch of midi programming -- but the dude just sings into his mike and plays outrageous harmonies in real time using a standalone board.

Geez.

Chuck, I think if you could get your hands on one of these, this product would accomplish the same thing... would it not?

https://www.zzounds.com/item--TCEHARMONYM

#2931101 - 06/04/18 01:03 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: DulceLabs.com]
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: DulceLabs.com
It's a legitimately boring performance musically.

As opposed to an illegitimately boring performance musically? rolleyes
No, that would be illegitimately exciting performance unmusically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2931128 - 06/04/18 03:22 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mike Davis]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Totally confused now. freak

#2931129 - 06/04/18 03:28 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Synthoid]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Synthoid

Oh, good. I thought it was just me.

#2931175 - 06/04/18 07:29 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Wastrel]
Redknife Offline

Loc: Lewisville, NC
I get a strong John Tesh vibe from this guy. Self aggrandizing mosh with a pittance of musicality. Still angry.

#2931178 - 06/04/18 07:46 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Wastrel]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Originally Posted By: Wastrel
Originally Posted By: Synthoid

Oh, good. I thought it was just me.

Relax.. it's only whispers of some quiet conversation.

#2931181 - 06/04/18 07:50 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: DulceLabs.com]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: DulceLabs.com
Relax.. it's only whispers of some quiet conversation.

From the hundred men on Mars...

#2931197 - 06/04/18 11:59 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Synthoid]
vanderSchoot Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Typical to hear all the controverse about Peter Bence’s playing style.

I personally like it a factor 10 over the likes of Hiromi for instance...... but that is because i hate most forms of jazz and experimental piano with a vengeance.
Has something to do with all those years of piano tuning as a tuner at large jazz festivals..... i received an overkill from those evil haunting jazz lines in every f’kng song beyond repair i guess.

The moment a good pianist tries to play anything but outlandish chord progressions and nerve wrecking solo lines is a win win situation to me personally .

End of rant ,

coffee

Edited by vanderSchoot (06/05/18 12:00 AM)

#2931219 - 06/05/18 05:23 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: vanderSchoot]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Don’t be dissin’ my Hiromi, lol. I love a lot of her trio stuff. Also, I was pleased to find a couple of transcriptions of hers easy enough for me to learn.

#2931236 - 06/05/18 07:19 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Bobby Simons]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil
I enjoy Hiromi, even if a bit self indulgent at times. She's in a whole different league, though.

I found the "Africa" video entertaining. Certainly not a repeat listening contender, but I like to see the different interpretations of songs with only piano - as well as piano+strings and only strings. A lot of artists exploring this, and it's nice to see the variety. I like some of his other material.

I'm amused at how people are hot and bothered with him. I'm excited to hear the wide array of artists exploring this, even if I don't enjoy them all. Options for all tastes. The bickering about being barefoot is silly.

Back to the video: it reminded me a bit of the piano guys rendition of "What makes you beautiful" What Makes You Beautiful. My wife and I dig a lot of their covers, specially her.

In regard to the looping, watched a two cellos concert last year, and somebody sitting in front kept complaining that he didn't come to a concert see them playing against backing tracks - to me the use of the looping pedal was pretty clear, but you'd need to be familiar with it.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner