Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2930727 - 06/02/18 03:10 PM 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper
Mike Davis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida

KC Island
#2930729 - 06/02/18 03:14 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mike Davis]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Bence is working it. Good for him, he found what works and is using his considerable skills in a way that presumably will keep him fed for a while. He's all over YouTube.

#2930736 - 06/02/18 04:19 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Loc: Mainland Florida
Another gross post. What is with this guy playing barefoot? Just nasty. Not even going to get into the affected way he is playing, the exaggerated/jerky movements, the mugging, can he be any more of a douche.

The guy is all flash. He plays precise but if you remove the visual and just listen, there is nothing interesting there. It's a legitimately boring performance musically.

People here were complaining about Lola Astanova. Same thing but I'd much rather watch her play a run of the mill classical performance than watch this guy play covers acting like a jack-ass. At least she looks great and treats the instrument with respect. This guy is barefoot, pounding on the case, rubbing the strings, a disgrace if you ask me.

#2930748 - 06/02/18 06:41 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Holy cow did I hate that.

#2930750 - 06/02/18 07:02 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Half a million subcribers and 62 million overall views and... yeah, I don't think he cares what we think.

Not really my cuppa either, but you gotta hand it to the guy for doing what he does.

#2930763 - 06/02/18 08:31 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
I was impressed. I don't think it's a scalable model, but Youtube may prove me wrong. All power to him.

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2930771 - 06/03/18 12:10 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Originally Posted By: MojoGuyPan
It's a legitimately boring performance musically.

As opposed to an illegitimately boring performance musically? rolleyes

#2930784 - 06/03/18 06:21 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: DulceLabs.com]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
I liked it.

#2930790 - 06/03/18 07:15 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
arX Offline

Loc: London
I like it.

Another gross post. What is with this guy playing barefoot? Just nasty. Not even going to get into the affected way he is playing, the exaggerated/jerky movements, the mugging, can he be any more of a douche.

The guy is all flash. He plays precise but if you remove the visual and just listen, there is nothing interesting there. It's a legitimately boring performance musically.

People here were complaining about Lola Astanova. Same thing but I'd much rather watch her play a run of the mill classical performance than watch this guy play covers acting like a jack-ass. At least she looks great and treats the instrument with respect. This guy is barefoot, pounding on the case, rubbing the strings, a disgrace if you ask me.

A bit of an overreaction, no?

Your adorable profile pic does not at all betray your consistently grumpy post content. frown

#2930794 - 06/03/18 07:40 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: arX]
kbrkr Offline

Sorry, but I call fake. When does he hit the looper pedal to turn on/off the looping? Is it part of the Bosen' damper pedal?

Edited by kbrkr (06/03/18 07:41 AM)

#2930801 - 06/03/18 08:35 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: kbrkr]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Couldnít it just be set to loop and record 2 bars?

Not my cup of tee as well, but well played for sure.

Seeing if someone ďis a doucheĒ purely by his motion is a skill I would like to obtain.....

#2930803 - 06/03/18 08:44 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
Half a million subcribers and 62 million overall views and... yeah, I don't think he cares what we think.

Not really my cuppa either, but you gotta hand it to the guy for doing what he does.

My thoughts as well. My reaction was a bit of annoyance, not to mention irritation he has access to a nice Bosey. But why shouldn't this dude who obviously has chops do something like this. He's hustling in a world where it's hard to hustle.

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

#2930804 - 06/03/18 08:45 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: RudyS]
Bobby Simons Offline

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
I also think it's kind of cool and different enough to be original, and certainly more than I've seen from the perennial naysayer.

#2930806 - 06/03/18 09:06 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Bobby Simons]
piano39 Offline

Loc: Ohio
I like it, too.

The guy obviously has the chops, also has a unique arranging skill.

One of the problems that keyboard players have- how do they compete with guitar players or singers on stage when they are just sitting behind a keyboard? Like it or not, this guy is putting on a visual performance, that matches the flamboyance of his playing and arrangement.

#2930808 - 06/03/18 09:17 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: piano39]
MP Hall of Fame Member

On a separate subject, this post was literally the third I saw yesterday dealing with updated arrangements of that song. (One on FB, one on one of those viral click-on-me feeds, and one here.)

Just curious about your thoughts: why this song? Is it kitschy/hipster-ironic? Did something in pop culture put it back into play? What's the story?

#2930809 - 06/03/18 09:24 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MojoGuyPan]
Strays Dave Offline

As I recall from interviews way back years ago, Keith Jarrett gave plucking the grand piano strings with his fingers, as one of the reasons for his dismissal from Berklee College of Music (in Boston). As I recall, it was after being told not to. I think this was one of several reason - maybe certain other behaviors on Keith's part.

I feel supportive of anyone finding new and creative ways of using a looper. And although this guy doing the "Africa" cover is a bit Liberace(ish), I like what he's done.

And I wonder if you're as critical of Jacob Collier. I'm a big fan myself. There's a lot of much more mediocre music to dismiss (hey - 4 M's in a row !).

Edited by Strays Dave (06/03/18 09:32 AM)

#2930813 - 06/03/18 09:45 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Strays Dave]
MP Hall of Fame Member

My mind went to Liberace too, though unfavorably. (Meaning, I donít think he pulled it off with quite the same charm.)

I actually went more toward Kenny G. Mega-talented, mega-successful, and I could go the rest of my life without having to watch or listen to a single second of him.

I am a looping fan and very specifically an extended-techniques fan; I have whole toolkits full of stuff use to get wacky sounds out of the inside of the piano. I just really hated this.

I love what Jacob Collier does.

I donít remember if Iíve ever posted this here before, but here is Jarle Bernhoft really owning the potential of looping, IMO.

#2930815 - 06/03/18 10:03 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
My mind went to Liberace too, though unfavorably. (Meaning, I donít think he pulled it off with quite the same charm.)

same here

#2930822 - 06/03/18 10:37 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: AnotherScott]
Redknife Offline

Loc: Lewisville, NC
A positive take: this guy has the ability to invoke a visceral reaction with his performance,
My take: I havenít hated a piano performance so deeply since ???

#2930825 - 06/03/18 11:10 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mike Davis]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
The bare feet thingís a bit odd, but I like the performance overall. For those wondering about when he uses the looper pedal, Iím guessing that we are watching a compilation of multiple shots.

I think I much prefer his version of ďAttentionĒ.

Titano Virtuoso Converter accordion, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370. Kimball Valencia/Broadway organs, Shure SM-57

#2930829 - 06/03/18 11:49 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
Morten Olsson Offline

Loc: Danmark
I recently watched a YouTube video of the same guy playing something else - the one I watched was obviously speed up artificially - was easy to spot because his head was whipping around at inhuman speed which - were it possible - would surely have resulted in brain trauma.
I failed to notice if the video was official or just something doctored by a fan. Shall see if I can find it again later.

#2930830 - 06/03/18 11:49 AM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MathOfInsects]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
On a separate subject, this post was literally the third I saw yesterday dealing with updated arrangements of that song. (One on FB, one on one of those viral click-on-me feeds, and one here.)

Just curious about your thoughts: why this song? Is it kitschy/hipster-ironic? Did something in pop culture put it back into play? What's the story?

100% meme territory. Huge memein goin on.

To take it a bit further, I watched a short doc on Darude, composer of Sandstorm. Both the tunes have enjoyed meme revivals and lemme tell ya, their bank accounts ain't sad about it. The feeling is, "I'm not sure if they're laughing at us, with us, or at themselves, but they're still playing our songs over and over. idk "

#2930839 - 06/03/18 12:45 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Strays Dave]
Mike Davis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Strays Dave

And I wonder if you're as critical of Jacob Collier. I'm a big fan myself. There's a lot of much more mediocre music to dismiss (hey - 4 M's in a row !).

In a way, Jacob Collier is conceptually similar to the guy from the first post. They've both found novel ways to express themselves, and they're both building careers.

Is there any musical substance there in either case? Well, I guess that's in the ear of the behearer.

#2930852 - 06/03/18 02:17 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Mike Davis]
TommyS Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: SoCal
For some odd reason, the Collier guys act reminds me of Jerry Lewis.

#2930884 - 06/03/18 04:46 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: TommyS]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Yeah, well I did a bit of deep googling on Collier's custom-built "harmonizer", and I WANT ONE. Roland, Kord, et.al -- are you listening? $$$$ It's not a vocoder, it's real-time assisted pitch shifting. How cool.

Seems you can get close with an Eventide Quadravox plug-in and a bunch of midi programming -- but the dude just sings into his mike and plays outrageous harmonies in real time using a standalone board.

Geez.

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2930893 - 06/03/18 05:45 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: cphollis]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
What do you guys think about this one?

https://youtu.be/n3JdNGAv8hc

#2930898 - 06/03/18 06:35 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: eric]
Strays Dave Offline

I thought I'd throw in an extended example of some of Jacob Collier's considerable talents. I was thinking maybe he's a combination of Miles Davis, Leonard Bernstein and Mozart. But that doesn't include the voice.

Anyway, he's a wonder to behold.

#2930901 - 06/03/18 06:48 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Strays Dave]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
I've seen him before. I liked him much better without all of the pomp and theatrics.

This is a pretty cool arrangement and well executed performance without the same degree of histrionics.

#2930935 - 06/03/18 10:36 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: Dr88s]
JohnH Offline
Platinum Member

Itís cool but itís rushing and this song has a groove that canít be rushed or itís gone.

#2930936 - 06/03/18 10:45 PM Re: 'Africa' cover with a Bosendorfer and a looper [Re: MAJUSCULE]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
100% meme territory. Huge memein goin on.

Do you know what brought it back to consciousness though? Some movie? TV show? The Office?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner