Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2930513 - 06/01/18 10:46 AM Trying to talk myself out of this...
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Good price for the features... I don't NEED another amp...

Blackstar Club 40 amp on sale

GP Island
#2930532 - 06/01/18 11:52 AM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

... and I failed to talk myself out of it. It was the interest-free low monthly payments that did it... how are these guys making money?

I've seen a couple of touring name bands with this Blackstar combo or larger ones in larger clubs and thought they sounded great...

#2930536 - 06/01/18 12:12 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Congrats P90! That's a hell of a great price. They are $699 right now at Sweetwater...a little heavy at 53lbs...but well worth the effort! thu

#2930547 - 06/01/18 01:01 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thank Larryz...

I think Sweetwater is just now out of this model. They've come out with a second edition (MK II) of the Club series, it seems, so everybody's blowing these out.

I opted for the second one which originally listed for more and was cheaper (?)... maybe it's the tan tolex one...

It's dawned on me in some cover gigs that I don't have any amps that cover "modern" sounds... I can use my OCD pedal for modern overdrive and other things to get kind of close with the cleans... Well, my AC30 has some of the same voicing switching features as this amp but people say it's too damned loud (the Master Volume hurts the tone below a certain point, but even sacrificing that I get yelled at...).

Also, this amp seems aimed at recording with a speaker simulated line out, so that will be neat to try out.

#2930559 - 06/01/18 01:16 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: p90jr]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Nice catch!

I'd been checking out Blackstar Amps, when I was looking for a Tube Amp. Let us know how you like it, when you get to set it loose!

http://www.novparolo.com

#2930578 - 06/01/18 02:21 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: Winston Psmith]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
53 pounds is a deal killer for me. My Hot Rod Deluxe weighs in that range, and I hate to pick it up anymore. My old bones ain't into it these days (And I visit the gym/exercise room in my community 6 days a week) so I ain't weak by any means.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2930613 - 06/01/18 06:55 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: desertbluesman]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
My studio recording amp is a Blackstar HTR1. It's a fantastic recording amp. I have it set on the clean setting and drive it with my pedalboard. Different application and power obviously. Good luck with your's!

#2930634 - 06/01/18 10:20 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: Delta]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

DBM, my Hot Rod Deluxe weighs in at 45lbs which is about 8lbs lighter than the Blackstar P90 is looking at and about 10lbs lighter than my Hot Rod DeVille. That extra 8 to 10lbs is very noticeable to my old bones too LOL! The 45lb HRD is about as heavy as I will pack around these days...but it is light for a tube watt amp by comparison for the amount clean power it puts out. I have lighter smaller SS PA/amps for practicing. cool

#2930638 - 06/01/18 10:32 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: Larryz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

P90, I noticed it has an XLR Direct In output on the back which is very cool for running to a PA sans mic...cool. +1 on WPS's keep us posted when you get it in and open it up! We'll be waiting for your review! cool

#2930674 - 06/02/18 08:25 AM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: Larryz]
BuckW Offline

Link doesn't say mark 1 or 2.

Blowing out the mk1?

What are the differences?

#2930702 - 06/02/18 10:39 AM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: p90jr]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: p90jr
... I don't NEED another amp...
It's dawned on me in some cover gigs that I don't have any amps that cover "modern" sounds...Also, this amp seems aimed at recording with a speaker simulated line out, so that will be neat to try out.

Therein lies the crux of the matter.
Versatility is not mere acquisitiveness.
Good on ya, lad !
rawk

#2930715 - 06/02/18 12:30 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: d
... I don't NEED another amp...
It's dawned on me in some cover gigs that I don't have any amps that cover "modern" sounds...Also, this amp seems aimed at recording with a speaker simulated line out, so that will be neat to try out.

Therein lies the crux of the matter.
Versatility is not mere acquisitiveness.
Good on ya, lad !
rawk

I highly prize versatility. Though sometimes, it leads to indecision on just what pedal or amp I want a given versatile pedal or amp to be... ??!! crazy (EVERYONE should have such dilemmas! grin thu )

And I've very much enjoyed a good 'speaker-compensated' Direct Line-Out from a tube-amp and/or reactive-load Speaker Emulator/attenuator, particularly when sent to a PA and monitors, with or without a mic...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2931047 - 06/04/18 10:26 AM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: BuckW]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: BuckW
Link doesn't say mark 1 or 2.

Blowing out the mk1?

What are the differences?

Blowing out the Mk 1s.

Differences:

- separate bass and treble tone knobs for the clean channel.

- second button on the std. 2-button footswitch being a voice switch (instead of a reverb on/off switch). Plus, you can now pay extra for a 5-button footswitch that has basically "everything" switchable....

- addition of a 1/10th power switch.

#2931049 - 06/04/18 10:34 AM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: p90jr]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
... and I failed to talk myself out of it. It was the interest-free low monthly payments that did it... how are these guys making money?

Sometimes, when a product line is changing (Mk1 to Mk2, for example), the manufacturer or distributor will offer heavy discounts to retailers, to help move the previous models, while making room for the new line. It's also better to blow out a product line, even at a steep discount, than to sit on dead inventory that collects dust and tax debt while it sits. Like in the construction trade, every time somebody has to put their hands on a piece of material to move it, or just count it, the cost of that piece just went up.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2931055 - 06/04/18 11:10 AM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: Winston Psmith]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith

Sometimes, when a product line is changing (Mk1 to Mk2, for example), the manufacturer or distributor will offer heavy discounts to retailers, to help move the previous models, while making room for the new line. It's also better to blow out a product line, even at a steep discount, than to sit on dead inventory that collects dust and tax debt while it sits. Like in the construction trade, every time somebody has to put their hands on a piece of material to move it, or just count it, the cost of that piece just went up.

Yep, and I look for those deals. The Mk 1 of this amp got great reviews... at half-price (and I imagine it might be what the amp cost to make, really) I'll take it.

Speaking of which, a depressing thing I read about is that when you ship something back to Amazon and other online retailers, they throw it away... it's cheaper to take that "loss" than to have someone re-stock it. I'd hope some of that gets sold to "blow out" retailers... but apparently lots of it goes straight to the dumpster.

Also, allegedly (from hearsay), "second tier" Guitar Centers (like the one in my town) are actually stocked with things returned from the online division and Musician's Friend.

I buy lots of used gear... I'd rather it be pre-dinged and discounted so that my clumsy self doesn't have to be too precious with the new work tool.

#2931069 - 06/04/18 11:37 AM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: p90jr]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
Here is a crazy idea, instead of throwing stuff away why not donate it. Guitars for vets or any of a number of kids charities. Put a musical instrument in the hands of some child who can't afford one and maybe you create a future customer. We waste so much stuff in th United States it is almost criminal. My rant on waste.

#2931096 - 06/04/18 12:45 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: surfergirl]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: surfergirl
Here is a crazy idea, instead of throwing stuff away why not donate it. Guitars for vets or any of a number of kids charities. Put a musical instrument in the hands of some child who can't afford one and maybe you create a future customer. We waste so much stuff in th United States it is almost criminal. My rant on waste.

Good rant... completely true. Not in the interest of "the market."

And now I will say nothing further, for it will head into verboten waters that are inherently political and expose my inner pinko commie leanings.

#2931135 - 06/04/18 03:44 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: surfergirl]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: surfergirl

+1 as long as the problems can be fixed, donate them to a worthy charity...and get a tax deduction for the donation while helping kids, vets, seniors, etc. cool

#2931136 - 06/04/18 03:49 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: p90jr]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

...now I will say nothing further, for it will head into verboten waters that are inherently political and expose my inner pinko commie leanings.

OOOPS ! Too late !!
grin wave

#2931139 - 06/04/18 04:26 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: BuckW]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Score! I'd say you made a great purchase for a great price. I'd be interested to see how well it holds up to actually gigging.

#2931146 - 06/04/18 04:58 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: picker]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: picker
Score! I'd say you made a great purchase for a great price. I'd be interested to see how well it holds up to actually gigging.

These have been out since 2010, and apparently, they're rugged workhorses with great reviews from almost everyone I can find... the few negative reviews I've found from users have to be jokes...

I'll mostly still gig with my twin Supros... but it's nice to have this when I need more modern gain for some gigs.

#2931185 - 06/04/18 08:06 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: p90jr]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Speaking of which, a depressing thing I read about is that when you ship something back to Amazon and other online retailers, they throw it away... it's cheaper to take that "loss" than to have someone re-stock it. I'd hope some of that gets sold to "blow out" retailers... but apparently lots of it goes straight to the dumpster.

A friend of mine used to work for Yamaha, in Southern California. One day he wandered around to the back of the warehouse where he encountered a guy who ran a machine which punched 5" diameter holes through DX7's & other keyboards. The guy explained that Yamaha had to take a loss on these because a new model had come out & it would cost Yamaha a lot in taxes to have these in their inventory. They had to be taken out of existence. My friend did everything he could to get these instruments donated to schools, but the corporation is run by businessmen, not humanitarians.

#2931326 - 06/05/18 04:19 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

...& sometimes, odd as the results might seem, satisfying the tax laws/etc that result in certain biz decisions are what allows a biz entity to continue to exist.
Profit is, literally, their lifeblood & avoidable losses can kill them.

That said, there's perhaps value in checking behind the scenes to know the social attitudes a biz, uh, incorporates into their corporation.
Who we support may be determined by what they support.

#2931414 - 06/06/18 08:31 AM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: d
...& sometimes, odd as the results might seem, satisfying the tax laws/etc that result in certain biz decisions are what allows a biz entity to continue to exist.
Profit is, literally, their lifeblood & avoidable losses can kill them.
That said, there's perhaps value in checking behind the scenes to know the social attitudes a biz, uh, incorporates into their corporation.
Who we support may be determined by what they support.

Definitely. Somebody has to mind the business, or the business will cease to be in business. And while it's great to think that the CEO is a guitar player, or synth designer, or software genius, what's really needed is not a dedicated amateur, but somebody who knows how to run a business. We can choose to support businesses whose values we share, who pay their workers decently & participate constructively in the communities they inhabit. (i.e. NOT Gibson.)

#2931497 - 06/06/18 05:59 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: Scott Fraser]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Great amps! Only heard great things about them. I have played through a couple and was deeply impressed!

#2932205 - 06/11/18 05:50 AM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: Bluesape]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, it was delivered to my office on Friday. I loaded it into my SUV... where it remained in the box until Saturday afternoon when I had a band practice. I unboxed it outside the practice and brought it in. Got a good clean sound on the clean channel in a few seconds and ran through the set, using it as a platform for pedals as usual with that act. And it did great in that usage, though it felt like I wasn't using it to its full potential.

It sounded good... it's a closed back cab, so focused more than the other combos I use, yet not "beamy" from what I could tell. The singer in that band (a longtime drummer and opera/stage singer) suffered a big bout of tinnitus after a gig that never went away and having that looked at revealed pronounced hearing damage ("hi hat ear," I've heard it described... probably from his teenaged years bashing away in super loud hardcore punk bands, on top of a genetic disposition to tinnitus and hearing loss) so we practice as quietly as possible even with him wearing expensive custom-made hearing protection.

After we were done, I played around with it on all the channels fairly quietly, with my Strat, and it sounds great... the other guitarist messed around a bit, too... but the 8s on the Strat were so weird for him, being mostly a blues player who worships Roy Buchannon and uses heavy strings. He's on a quest to find "a more trebley squealy sound" from his Tele and Virbolux. As the person who has to sit across from his amp I've asked that he not use it in this band when he finds it... I bring an amp stand just to point his amp at him like a monitor when I can't take it, anymore.

Anyway, the switchable voicings on the channels impressed my bandmates when I was playing around with them. "Swiss army knife studio amp" was one comment.

I haven't had a chance to "open it up" yet... such is adult life and fatherhood. But so far, I love it. Especially for that super clean Strat quack sound, like Nile Rodgers... and taking advantage of the effects loop, which I loved in the AC30CC, is something I'm excited to try...

At this price, definitely a bang per buck winner!!! And it will probably push me to sell the Bedrock BC-50, unless I keep it mostly for other people to use when they come over...

#2932220 - 06/11/18 06:56 AM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Great review P90. Sounds like it literally worked right out of the box LOL! It made a good debut in a band practice with special requirements at low volume. Can't wait to hear what you think when you open her up a little! Congrats! thu

#2932266 - 06/11/18 10:44 AM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2932291 - 06/11/18 12:24 PM Re: Trying to talk myself out of this... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Oh, and the weight... didn't bother me. Of course, it's not as light as the 33lb. Supros I have... but it felt much lighter than the AC15 I was using until recently as the "smaller/lighter" amp in my arsenal. The bandmate who grabbed it and carried it in to practice for me swore it was lighter than the Fender Blues Deluxe he uses when he plays gigs on guitar. Which can't be right... those amps are listed at being a few pounds lighter... strange...

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose