Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2930155 - 05/30/18 12:46 PM NGD: Brian Moore iGuitar 21.13
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I'd been looking for a backup for my Godin Freeway SA, because it's the only one of my Guitars with a 13-pin Roland/Axon-type Synth Out, to plug into my Roland Guitar Synths. I use Synth sounds almost all the time, while performing and recording, and I have a whole Summer's worth of shows lined up, so a backup was overdue. A Roland GK-3 pickup by itself is $220, pretty much everywhere, but my nearby GC had a Brian Moore iGuitar, with the Synth pickup, for $299!?!?!

There's one ding on the back of the Guitar, where no one can see it, otherwise everything is in very nice working order, especially the Synth pickup. I've got a buddy who builds Violins (no joke), so he'll clean up that ding for me, much better than anything I could do on my own. My sales guy threw in a HSC, along with the original Brian Moore gig bag, a custom Brian Moore stereo cable, all the original paperwork, and some other goodies. Stock pickups are unexciting, but I have some Duncans, just waiting to drop in.

I had a small landscape job this morning, next I'm headed to an early catering job tonight (no rest for the wicked), but I'm off tomorrow, so I'll get to do some tuning & tweaking, and have it ready for my show this weekend.

http://www.novparolo.com

GP Island
#2930160 - 05/30/18 12:53 PM Re: NGD: Brian Moore iGuitar 21.13 [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Cool. Those Brian Moores always seem to me like you would instantly start playing prog/fusion as soon as you pick it up, as opposed to Americana/roots stuff. Go get your Alan Holdsworth on! Congrats.

#2930178 - 05/30/18 02:12 PM Re: NGD: Brian Moore iGuitar 21.13 [Re: Scott Fraser]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Great deal! I hope to get out to hear it at one of your shows this summer.

#2930198 - 05/30/18 04:38 PM Re: NGD: Brian Moore iGuitar 21.13 [Re: Danzilla]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Cool.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2930209 - 05/30/18 06:30 PM Re: NGD: Brian Moore iGuitar 21.13 [Re: desertbluesman]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Woot!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2930222 - 05/30/18 08:03 PM Re: NGD: Brian Moore iGuitar 21.13 [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Congrats Brother Winston! Sounds like a great deal and a great deal of fun tomorrow! thu

#2930330 - 05/31/18 10:34 AM Re: NGD: Brian Moore iGuitar 21.13 [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Many thanks for all the kind words!

Boring details: The stock Alnico pickups are unexciting, but not bad. The neck feels slightly narrower than most of my other Guitars, but it's supposed to have the same 12-inch neck radius as my SG's. The RMC Piezo Synth Pickup seems slightly 'hotter' than the GHOST system. Some players have reported issues using the RMC system with the latest Roland GR-55 model, and the most recent VG-99, but all of my Guitar Synths seem quite happy with it. YEMV, as with anything.

For me, the acid test was plugging it into my old GR-30. I have a bank of sounds designed for Tapping, and another designed purely for Speed: these were the downfall of the GK-3, as it didn't play nicely with either sound bank.

I went to the Tapping bank first, and found that I needed to adjust the Pickup Sensitivity just slightly, by no more than one increment up or down for each string. A couple of the Tap patches are also set up to trigger the GR-30's Arpeggiator, so if a string isn't tracking, everything falls apart quickly. Once I'd adjusted the Sensitivity, both my left and right hands could move freely across the neck, without a bunch of ghost notes, false echoes or drop-outs. Very nice!

Next, I dialed up the Speed bank. Fast picking will trip up almost any Guitar Synth rig, but it seems like the iGuitar tracks even faster than the Godin!?!?!?! Very fast flat-picking and even sweep picking weren't enough to get a burp nor a gurgle out of it. Hammer-ons & pull-offs easily managed. I'm seriously impressed. I'm sure I could trip it up with sloppy playing, but what's the point in that?

In terms of tracking, feel, and even looks, it's what I was really looking for when I found the Godin. I can see why the new, U.S.-made models command such impressive prices. If I were in a position to buy a new Gibson Les Paul, at this point, I'd be more likely to order an American iGuitar, and have some money left over; yes, really.

Edited by Winston Psmith (05/31/18 10:35 AM)

#2930732 - 06/02/18 03:52 PM Re: NGD: Brian Moore iGuitar 21.13 [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
cool Wow! That's a Win-Win-WIN all around! Congratulations, I'm very glad for you, my friend. And that price?! crazy twothumbs

Get us some photos and clips or vids! We wanna see and hear it!

Mebbeh drop a pair of Jim Wagner's Iron Man 22k Ceramic 8/Alnico 8/Alnico 5 (interchangeable magnets, you swap, your choice!) humbuckers in there... rawk They're the most likely contender for my Les Paul if ever I try any replacement pickups in it...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2930739 - 06/02/18 04:39 PM Re: NGD: Brian Moore iGuitar 21.13 [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Congrats Winston! Sounds like it's a keeper and you're a happy camper! thu

#2930781 - 06/03/18 04:32 AM Re: NGD: Brian Moore iGuitar 21.13 [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Those Brian Moore axes have always intrigued me. Never saw any in any store or shop 'round my "neckka" to be able just to pick one up and try it out even unplugged.

So, have y'self a BLAST! smile
Whitefang

#2930810 - 06/03/18 09:29 AM Re: NGD: Brian Moore iGuitar 21.13 [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I took it out last night for a show with Novparolo, the Synth-&-Guitar duo I'm in with my friend Bev. Everything worked well, sound was good, no issues at all. Not bad for my first outing with a Guitar I've had now all of four days. There's at least one photo on Facebook, I'll see if there are any more anywhere?

@Whitefang - You're not likely to see one anytime soon, unless somebody near you has one that they're trading in. I've never seen a Music store that carried them, although Sweetwater had the import series for a while. At this point, it seems like they're strictly custom order from their shop in NY state. Even the model I got, the import 21.13, is a special order item now - they run just under $1600, new!?!?!? How I got one for $300, IDK!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose