Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2929799 - 05/29/18 12:23 AM OT: 2018 Formula One Season
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
The American sports threads on this forum are fairly active, and the FIFA World Cup thread is, too, whenever the tournament is happening.
So I wonder if there are enough closet F1 geeks here to have a discussion?
I know Joe Muscara and Marino are fans, so that makes three of us. Anybody else?

KC Island
#2929811 - 05/29/18 04:30 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: zephonic]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Having attended all but one GP in Melbourne since 1995 I'll join in.

Danny had a superb drive minus 2 gears for 50 laps to win in Monaco. How come Vettel couldn't take advantage of the Red Bull's 30kph disadvantage and grab first?

This season heart picks Ricciardo, but Red Bull doesn't have the top speed, so head says MB. A fast track next at Montreal so we will see if the red cars can match MB.

Kontroversy Corner - the Red Cars have returned to their long term form of only winning when the other cars fail.

#2929839 - 05/29/18 06:39 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Markay]
FJR Online   content

Loc: SF Bay
I'm a motorsports fan, so F1 is a must! I miss Leigh, Dobbs, Steve, and Will, but it was initially exciting to see Ferrari (or someone other than Lewis smile ) actually winning a race!

I know he's not everyones favorite, but I think its very exciting watching Max! Crazy unpredictable sometimes, but what reflexes and talent (when it works out, that is... smile )

Its high on my list to make it to Austin sometime to take in the spectacle of actually attending a race!

#2929843 - 05/29/18 06:46 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: FJR]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
I’m a Button fan.

Edit to add: I just googled to see where he sits on the leaderboard and found out he retired in 2017. Shows how much I keep up these days. I also like Lewis Hamilton.

Edited by Synthaholic (05/29/18 06:52 AM)

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2929846 - 05/29/18 07:03 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Synthaholic]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Loc: Mainland Florida
F1 kinda blows. Don't get me wrong, I've been into since the late 80's but the "race" this weekend in Monaco really sucked. They should just give up on the race and hand out trophies based on qualifying.

There have been a few good races this year but even those were because of the magic of the safety car or VSC.

I really wish it were better, more competitive. The only time you get something good is when you've got two great drivers on the same team like Prost v Senna. Right now the best race within a race is Ricciardo v Verstappen. Bottas and Raikonnen are nowhere close to Hamilton and Vettel. If Ferrari and Mercedes picked up some real talent for the #2 spot maybe it'd be interesting again. Hopefully Ricciardo ends up at one of the big two and makes things fun again.

They really need to cut back on the aerodynamic BS. Kill the downforce big time and go to narrower tires. Also this BS with limiting the engines and gearboxes is killing the sport too. I want to see these guys run flat out like Senna. Not run a handful of hot laps before each pit and nurse the car the rest of the race. With how they have it set up you only get to see the drivers "perform" for a little bit. It needs to be so that they are on the rivet, pushing hard the whole race.

#2929869 - 05/29/18 08:54 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: MojoGuyPan]
Tomkeen Online   content

Loc: Venlo, Netherlands
There's a lot of talent on the grid right now. I think Ocon and Leclerc (he really surprised me) are excellent drivers. I agree with Mojoguypan though, it has to get more competetive. Mercedes dominating the sport is getting boring, though Ferrari is really catching up. It sucks that Renault cannot seem to deliver a good engine, because Red Bull has the best chassis.

As a Dutchie, I'm Verstappen biased. Though it has to be said that he has really messed up some races this year. I hope he finds his form back soon. I can never forget him overtaking so many cars in the rain in Brazil a few years back in the Toro Rosso.

#2929876 - 05/29/18 09:40 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: MojoGuyPan]
dje31 Offline

Originally Posted By: MojoGuyPan
... < Snip > They should just give up on the race and hand out trophies based on qualifying < Snip > ...

Sad, but all too true, all too often. Unless there's a wreck, mechanical, and / or weather issue, pretty much the pole sitter or #2 ends up winning. Yawn...anticlimactic.

Which is the total opposite of how it should be...potentially the most exciting, challenging, competitive of most motorsports, and yet, not.

Edited by dje31 (05/29/18 09:40 AM)

#2929883 - 05/29/18 10:11 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: dje31]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

To me there isn't much wrong with F1. If you want a level playing field with plenty of overtaking, watch a spec series. F1 is about technological excellence as much as it is about driver skill.

My main beef is with the tires and DRS. Both are designed to create artificial excitement, something F1 does not need IMO.

I'm an Alonso fan, and I'm sure you can imagine that hasn't been great for me these last ten years. But I like Hamilton and Ricciardo as well, so I still have someone to root for when Alonso isn't setting the midfield on fire.

Although I'm a Dutchie, Verstappen doesn't do much for me. He's quick for sure, but I think the hype gets the better of him. This is his fourth season in F1 and he's been making rookie mistakes every race.

Originally Posted By: Markay

Danny had a superb drive minus 2 gears for 50 laps to win in Monaco. How come Vettel couldn't take advantage of the Red Bull's 30kph disadvantage and grab first?

His gearbox didn't actually fail. The MGU-K did, which meant he lost about 160 BHP. To ameliorate this he was advised not to use gear 7 (gear 8 is never used in Monaco anyway), and shift the brake balance to the front so as not to overheat and destroy the rear brakes (the ones that recover kinetic energy). Vettel had severe graining on the left front tire, which meant he couldn't really force the issue.

Yeah, I nerd out on this stuff. If you really want to understand what goes on during a GP weekend, I highly recommend Mark Hughes' excellent race reports for Motorsport Magazine:
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/reports/f1/2018-monaco-grand-prix-report

Edited by zephonic (05/29/18 10:43 AM)

#2929924 - 05/29/18 12:06 PM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: zephonic]
Joe Muscara Online   content
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Yeah, I'm a big fan, and while I rue losing Matchett on the U.S. broadcast, I don't miss Leigh Diffey one bit. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I can't stand commentators who yell stuff like, "oh! Oh! Look at this! Here he goes!" instead of info about who is doing what and where. Once I noticed that about Diffey, it was downhill from there for me. I felt like he talked to hear himself talk.

Quote:
My main beef is with the tires
The best season as far as that was in 2012 when the tires would disintegrate if you drove on them too long. I don't think F1 has ever had that many winners in a season! roll

The problem in reality is that if the tire tech was allowed to be whatever, they'd last the entire race and there would be no degradation. Most of the tech that could be used in F1 is too good at this point.

I've often thought they should have to use intermediates or wets instead of slicks. There wasn't anything dumber than those grooved tires. At least if they had to run on rain tires of some sort, when it actually rained something useful might come of them.

I'm glad Ricciardo got that win. I'm a big fan of his. Meanwhile, like Menno says, Max is still making rookie mistakes. I was actually pleased that he kept his head and brought it home in Monaco. Maybe it's finally sinking in.

As far as the lack of racing on track, yeah, but I kind of see it like a chess match. It has become more about strategy than on track action. There's something to be said for that. Some poor decisions have cost some guys races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2930058 - 05/30/18 05:47 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: zephonic]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: zephonic

Yeah, I nerd out on this stuff. If you really want to understand what goes on during a GP weekend, I highly recommend Mark Hughes' excellent race reports for Motorsport Magazine:

Thanks for posting that link. I will visit it for updates.

Max has talent and while not yet as clinical as Danny when passing he is the most aggressive driver out there ATM. It will interesting to see how the 2019 driver contracts work out.

#2930106 - 05/30/18 08:55 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Markay]
JohnH Offline
Platinum Member

Big fan, and I always enjoyed Sky when I missed US Broadcasts. Sky coverage is way better and I don't miss the old team, who were so irrelevant and way past their sell by date. Hobbs hadn't sat in an F1 car since 1974 and Matched hadn't turned a wrench on one in 20 years. Sky has team members that drove as recently as November at the Abu Dhabi test- Di Resta. Not a Diffie fan, but I was used to his voice by the end. I'm glad I slept through most of Monaco- so I could stay awake for the real race- The Indy 500. It's funny I texted a friend that then found out Alonso said almost the same thing- the real race Sunday was Indy.

#2930133 - 05/30/18 10:33 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Markay]
KorgyPorky Offline

Originally Posted By: zephonic

Thanks for posting that link. I will visit it for updates.

Max has talent and while not yet as clinical as Danny when passing he is the most aggressive driver out there ATM. It will interesting to see how the 2019 driver contracts work out.

Since Max is practically Familly, i am a huge Max fan, and so is the rest of our Nation, i think espescially in Monaco, it became apparent that the F1 has need for more Maxes... even tough Riciardo had a broken car several secconds/round slower then the rest, noboddy dared to overtale him... Max overtook 14 cars in this race...

#2930140 - 05/30/18 10:56 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: KorgyPorky]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: KorgyPorky
even tough Riciardo had a broken car several secconds/round slower then the rest, noboddy dared to overtale him... Max overtook 14 cars in this race...

Neither of those statements is accurate.

Feel free to peruse this:

#2930166 - 05/30/18 01:13 PM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: zephonic]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Loc: Mainland Florida
Korgy,

Come on. I know you're a Max fan but he only passed a handful of cars. He was in the fastest car on the grid and started dead last. He _should_ have been passing those cars.

Ricciardo, down 160 HP / 20-30KM/H at the chicane, keeping Vettel at distance and eventually pulling away from Vettel and Hamilton was way more impressive.

I like Max's crazy-aggressive style though. Wish he would've been more crazy at Monaco. I hope these incidents don't douse his flame.

#2930193 - 05/30/18 04:16 PM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: JohnH]
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: JohnH
Matched hadn't turned a wrench on one in 20 years.
The big thing that Matchett continued to bring to the broadcasts was that he still knew a lot of guys in the paddock. He would often say, "I spoke to some of the engineers last night and they told me..." He also kept up with the tech as much as he could. OTOH, I remember a few years ago when they had a recent driver sub for Hobbs one weekend, and he brought lots of info about what the drivers need to do with all those controls throughout the laps. Hobbs has no idea.

#2930204 - 05/30/18 05:44 PM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Joe Muscara]
Mizu Offline

Loc: Hoboken, NJ
Long time fan here. I like how the '18 season is shaping up, there has been more action in the first few races than for most of the 16 or 17 season. Don't mind the Sky broadcast either, I think they have a very knowledgeable group of commentators.

For color: I think Alonso is driving the wheels off the McLaren - wish we had a wet race so the playing field was more level and he might have a shot at a podium. I wonder how long Mateschitz is going to put up with Max throwing away points. Similar with Grosjean - 0 points for Haas from his side of the Garage so far. I think there's a lot of musical chairs for the '19 season.

#2932110 - 06/10/18 08:24 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Mizu]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Looking forward to the race today, Canada is always an interesting event.

First Ricciardo, then Bottas, and finally Vettel all set new lap records during qualifying yesterday.

It's amazing that these PU's are faster than the V10's of yore, and consume roughly half the fuel. The engineering is impressive.

Hamilton is typically unassailable around here, but he looked out of it yesterday. Not sure what's going on with him.

The McLarens are tragically slow, and can't hide behind the Honda PU's anymore. I feel for Alonso, and wonder if he'll stick around for next season. They have no realistic chance at winning until 2021, I reckon.

#2932167 - 06/10/18 06:17 PM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: zephonic]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Only seen the results and not the race yet. Looking forward to reading Mark Hughes full report, thanks again Zephonic.

Vettel now leading the F1 Championship points. Bottas came second so Mercedes were up for it, Hamilton's state of mind seems to be his issue. Chequered flag waved one lap early, what went on there?

#2932169 - 06/10/18 06:47 PM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Markay]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
I'm not a fan of racing at all and have never attended a race but the event was local and the surrounding festivities downtown today were a real treat on a lovely day.

#2932175 - 06/10/18 07:33 PM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Dr88s]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Melbourne GP is a four day event in a Park 3klm's from the city. The 4 days are packed with support events. There is also a sound stage that books local acts for one set each and runs 7 hours a day for the 4 days.

That plus the live music in the various hospitality venues probably makes the F1 the largest non music event source of gigs each year.

Plus the Australian Army Rock Covers Band The Rising Sons, plays endlessly on their own stage for the 4 days. I always check them out as they have the latest and greatest gear including a desk with a tablet mixer. That gets updated each year and their sound guy is a great source of info on what works and the issues they had with last years mixer. They also happen to be a really tight band with excellent singers.

#2932195 - 06/11/18 05:14 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Markay]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Sussex, UK
Love F1 and Lewis Hamilton.
Lewis was pissed over this weekend - mainly with himself.
Hopefully he will get over it and grab the lead back from Vettel.

#2932197 - 06/11/18 05:15 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Markay]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Sussex, UK
Only seen the results and not the race yet. Looking forward to reading Mark Hughes full report, thanks again Zephonic.

Vettel now leading the F1 Championship points. Bottas came second so Mercedes were up for it, Hamilton's state of mind seems to be his issue. Chequered flag waved one lap early, what went on there?

They gave the flag to a "model" and probably gave her the wrong instructions...........or she was blonde. smile

#2932261 - 06/11/18 10:00 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: MojoGuyPan]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
I love all manner of motorsports.

F1, NHRA, NASCAR, SCCA, MotoGP, and so forth.
I used to compete in SCCA Pro SoloII and NHRA

I was fortunate to get really good seats for the F1 down in Austin a couple years ago, when my band played one of the official parties. Let's say those European drivers and the Euro women can party. Those stories later smile
Circuit of Americas is a really good track (and the excellent music venue Austin 360 is part of it.)

Regarding the Canadian race yesterday, it was not the model's fault that she waved the checkered a lap early.

Here's what director of F1 racing said

Quote:
After the race Whiting explained what had led to the error. He said: "The chequered flag was shown a lap early because of a miscommunication with the guy that they call the starter here, who starts and finishes the races.

"He thought it was the last lap, he asked race control to confirm it, they confirmed it, but they thought he was making a statement when he was asking a question.

"He told the flag waver to show it a lap early"

#2932278 - 06/11/18 11:39 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: EscapeRocks]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, the race wasn't as exciting as I expected it to be, but Vettel's win and Hamilton's 5th place means that the fight for championship is wide open once again.

Until yesterday I still believed Mercedes had the strongest over-all package, but there's really no getting around the fact that Ferrari is right up there with them, and easier on the tires to boot.

As an aside, I'm trying to get used to those halos, but they really are fugly. Wish they'd ditch those, but that doesn't seem likely.

Looking forward to reading Mark Hughes full report, thanks again Zephonic.

Yeah, his in-depth knowledge and understanding of the sport is second to none, as is his ability to explain the minutiae in plain language. The MM readers often joke that his reports are more exciting than the boring races themselves!

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/reports/f1/2018-canadian-grand-prix-report

#2932302 - 06/11/18 01:37 PM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: zephonic]
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

The championship is turning out to be interesting again like last year. What would be great is if Ricciardo, Bottas, and/or Max get themselves deep into the fight, too.

Speaking of Max, it was nice to see that he once again is using his head while driving. I'm hoping he's finally got it figured out.

I might say the best part of the broadcast was when Brundle asked Bono (Lewis' engineer, not the singer) on the grid if Lewis ever apologizes for what he says on the radio during the race, to which Bono said, "every time! It's part of the job. It doesn't bother me." grin

#2932306 - 06/11/18 01:46 PM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Joe Muscara]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Quick note:

I just had to delete a post that was more appropriate for a sports bar than this forum.

Keep it civil, please.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud MicrophonesCrumar/GSielysiaReverb FoundryRoswell Pro Audio

#2932312 - 06/11/18 02:36 PM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Dave Bryce]
JohnH Offline
Platinum Member

Sad to see Alonso in that boat anchor. This is sad sad sad. He's the master of making the wrong moves. Honda goes to Toro now the engine is doing good. He leaves Ferrari and they start winning again.

#2932321 - 06/11/18 04:18 PM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Markay]
Gary75 Offline
Platinum Member

Ferrari are on par with Merc this year no question. Big fan of Danny Ric
Saddest part is seeing Williams with a driver like Stroll bankrolled by his father. He's chronic as a driver as just seen in his home race. I feel the Stroll family have an unhealthy grip on Williams. Kubica kicked both their arses in testing yet because he's not either bankrolled by his family or the state, he's reserve.

#2932344 - 06/11/18 11:57 PM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: Gary75]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

In the comments section of Mark Hughes’ GP report, he actually replies to someone’s question: “If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Honda will win races next season.”

At the very least they seem to have the reliability sorted, so if they can manage to increase the power to fuel consumption ratio, who knows?

#2932345 - 06/12/18 12:16 AM Re: OT: 2018 Formula One Season [Re: zephonic]
Gary75 Offline
Platinum Member

Alonso will never win another F1 race that's for sure, he's spending his 5th season kicking around McLaren not because he wants to but because no one else wants him despite him being seen as a great driver. No going backbtonFerrari and Merc don't want the issues McLaren had in 2007. I'm convinced he'll call it a day this season and race in America.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner