Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Nice Majuscule. Nice to hear keyboards having a big part of the arrangement. I've listen to the other Carter & the Capitals' tracks on YT. I gotta say you guys are, honestly, on the way to higher ground.

Thanks moj. I have to give a lot of credit to Mario Caldato's production - I did maybe four or five different takes, with different stylistic indications from Mario. Most of it was to think of CTI-era Jobim for sparse little figures.

Helps when the song and vocalist are absolutely brilliant, too.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. It's not often that a standard walks in here. It was fun to play with. The run down is WW's, brass, strings are the Spitfire Symphony lib. Rhodes is "Rhodes Affair". Piano is Keyscape. Drums are Toontrack. Bass is a minimoog.

• 2 weeks later...

In the process of preserving my music. All vids shot with Samsung Galaxy 6... Apologies for the sideways video upload, then again, its al about the music.

Concerto no 1 - Third Movement (the first two movements are also available.

[video:youtube]

Concerto no 1 - Fourth Movement:

Obviously inspired by Emerson musical quotes although I composed this 30 years ago I dedicate it to his memory.

another note, I no longer have the chops or dexterity of 30 years ago. The obvious onset of arthritis, tendonitis and whatever other "-itis" I am currently afflicted has made for some sloppy playing. Oh and the reading glasses... don't forget reading glasses. That horrible buzzing in the fourth movement was My wife texting me LOL!

Here's a recent revelation: around the same time I wrote No 1, I had this piece written for Piano. It was pretty aggressive. again 25 years ago, on a grand piano it was a ripper! Now my forearms ache so much I need soften the attack. So I fiddled with some other patches and voila - Marimba/Vibraphone Concerto is born. An old friend of mine was exceptional at marimba, I wonder if he could transpose this?

Now the second movement: on piano the bass ostenato is absolutely sinister and does harken to Ginastera... But I thought it would still be a fun piece for mallet percussion:

again - accented with the mysterious buzz of an incoming text message... ain't technology grand!

• 3 weeks later...

I have concluded that LH bass/RH keyboard is much easier than LH bass/RH egg............

Just more insanity since I've retired.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently asked to join a jazz trio. So, I said let's get together and see how it sounds. I get to the session at the drummer's house and he has a Roland D50 -- says he bought it in the 80's -- midi'ed to his Mac triggering a software piano called Acousticsamples F Grand 278 (i.e., a sampled Fazoli), which I had never heard of. I was a bit nervous thinking this isn't any way to make a good first impression. But, much to my surprise I was comfortable playing this rig and liked how it sounded. The D50 action was very even / accurate and had a nice dynamic response for an unweighted keyboard. Here's a tune from the session:

Thanks guys :)

Dave, I hadn't heard the Hank Jones version before. Very cool! What a great trio. The minor IV first chord is an interesting touch. Thanks for sharing the transcription. The version I've probably listened to the most is from McCoy Tyner's NY Reunion CD with Joe Henderson, Ron Carter, and Al Foster.

https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city

Ready for something a little different?

I made a lot of stuff on FL Studio. Dexed a plenty!

I'm liking Lagu Anak Megamix (last song). The quacking synths have an interesting catchiness! Robot Toad is good too.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Nice playing, Al and a good recording too. The piano sounds good as well. Give John Simeone my regards if you guys play again!

But, much to my surprise I was comfortable playing this rig and liked how it sounded. The D50 action was very even / accurate and had a nice dynamic response for an unweighted keyboard.

Careful, pretty soon we'll see you showing up at gigs with a little plastic 61 key guy like I do! :)

Rob, thanks! I'll definitely let John know -- we should be playing again soon. He told me he went to college with you (and Dave Weckl and Joel Rosenblatt). Hopefully, I understood that correctly. What a blast that must have been!

As I was playing this little plastic 61-key keyboard I thought of you and all the great music you create with your little plastic keyboard. This is a big development for me as I'll be 60 in a couple of months and really ought to have the option of a lighter schlep.

John went to college with Dave & Joel at the University of Bridgeport. I was an adjunct faculty guy there in the 90s, long after those guys attended, never a student. I joined NitesSprite, the hotshot local band with Weckl, about a week before he quit the band to tour with his first major gig (Paul Simon IIRC).

• 1 month later...