Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2929403 - 05/25/18 09:41 PM I don`t usually get into this but...
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
It`s a debate with no end. I usually leave it to the trolls and countertrolls. But in this case I see misinterpretation on both sides. I don`t think anyone is defending incompetence. I don`t think anyone should think they got dissed.
Moreover the two sides are both players I respect. A pity.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

GP Island
#2929411 - 05/26/18 12:19 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: skipclone 1]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I like- no, LOVE- both men’s body of work. But as human beings?

Let’s just say Blackmore’s history has a lot more burned bridges in it than does Joe’s.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2929425 - 05/26/18 04:23 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Y'know Skip, due to my current PC issues, I see a HUGE blank space in your OP that might, if things were different, let me in on the identity of both paries you're discussing.

Danny's reply did help me realize one of the guys is Ritcie Blackmore . I'm not sure who Joe might be( possibly Satriani) or what their issues might be also, but too, liking both their bodies of work, I'll just let the two of them hash whatever out by themselves as I've got too many more important things in my life to concern myself with.

I usually ignore or overlook one "famous" musician's personal comments about another "famous" musician. I'd say if I EVER paid attention to any of that sort of thing and took it to heart, I'd never like ANYONE, especially after reading any opinions given by FRANK ZAPPA, who never really seemed to like anyone else in the "biz".
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (05/26/18 04:25 AM)

#2929429 - 05/26/18 04:53 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: whitefang]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

Ritchie Blackmore has a VERY well earned reputation for not getting along with others, while Joe Satriani has a very well earned reputation for getting along with others. That pretty much sums it all up.

#2929430 - 05/26/18 05:26 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: skipclone 1]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
He also mentioned Steve Morse, another of the guys that replaced him in Purple. I think it shows a lot of class on Morse's part that he has no comment. Joe should have gone that way too.
As for Blackmore, did anybody expect a known malcontent and egomaniac like him to have anything good to say about the folks who took his place? He should have said no comment too.
The reporter who started the whole thing off is a crud.

#2929447 - 05/26/18 07:02 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: picker]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
There are a ton of super star guitar players out there that I have never listened to and/or do not know who they are and/or what band(s) they play(ed) in. There are also many I do know but I still do not listen to their playing or pay any attention to them unless I like what they do. When I do run across a star now and then on YT, TV, Movie, etc., I listen and watch and appreciate their talent, even if I don't care for the genre or their idea of what a guitar should sound like. I know they wouldn't be a super star guitar player if there were not a ton of people out there that like their stuff. So they obviously have a lot to offer. Too bad some of them get into these little gossip fests... cool

#2929448 - 05/26/18 07:11 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: picker]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Kinda out the loop on all this but I do have a couple ideas abt the discussion.
Skip, although you set it up for both cats to tell their own stories y'mighta given us a bit o'bg or maybe said why you care.
That isn't a criticism of you; sometimes ppl find what I offer for consideration vague as well but in checking the presentational clips I found the 1st cat's prejudice so obvious in an obnoxious way from the start of the clip. That's OK (we all have our own outlooks) except it's so overt I found it impossible to even listen past the 1st minute (repeat aft me: "Self-defeating").
The Satriani clip seemed more liberal in accepting whatever Blackmore's full comments were but soon revealed a bit of passive aggressiveness, as was prolly part of RB's tone as well (I heard enough of Blackmore's statement to get the general argy but didn't dig in deep enough to referee). I think Satch'd've been better being more outfront in saying he was offended.

2 cats annoyed w/one another but each tryin suggest they really didn't care; guess where that leaves me ?

Originally Posted By: picker
He also mentioned Steve Morse, another of the guys that replaced him in Purple. I think it shows a lot of class on Morse's part that he has no comment. Joe should have gone that way too.
As for Blackmore, did anybody expect a known malcontent and egomaniac like him to have anything good to say about the folks who took his place? He should have said no comment too.

Agreed overall but is that cat a reporter or just another Net-enabled commenter w/no other outlet for their ideas ?

#2929476 - 05/26/18 10:52 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: d]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I admire Morse and Satriani way more than many of the other git fiddle players out there right now. Blackmore is also a decent player, not in the same class as Morse and Satch but decent enough in my humble opinion. I never bought a Blackmore album ever, nor anything Blackmore played on. But I bought a lot of Satriani CD's and some that Morse played on. I guess that says it for me.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2929494 - 05/26/18 12:59 PM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

FWIW & BTW, here's a clip I haven't listened to completely

& a list of more, uh, hue & cry
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blackmore+%26+satriani

Meanwhile

#2929513 - 05/26/18 02:59 PM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Boy, do I NOT have a dog in THAT fight.

#2929516 - 05/26/18 03:51 PM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: desertbluesman]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I really liked Blackmore`s Rainbow, with Joe Lynn Turner doing vocals. This song is an especially infamous earworm

#2929545 - 05/26/18 09:19 PM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: d]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
Kinda out the loop on all this but I do have a couple ideas abt the discussion.
Skip, although you set it up for both cats to tell their own stories y'mighta given us a bit o'bg or maybe said why you care.
That isn't a criticism of you; sometimes ppl find what I offer for consideration vague as well but in checking the presentational clips I found the 1st cat's prejudice so obvious in an obnoxious way from the start of the clip. That's OK (we all have our own outlooks) except it's so overt I found it impossible to even listen past the 1st minute (repeat aft me: "Self-defeating").
The Satriani clip seemed more liberal in accepting whatever Blackmore's full comments were but soon revealed a bit of passive aggressiveness, as was prolly part of RB's tone as well (I heard enough of Blackmore's statement to get the general argy but didn't dig in deep enough to referee). I think Satch'd've been better being more outfront in saying he was offended.

2 cats annoyed w/one another but each tryin suggest they really didn't care; guess where that leaves me ?

Originally Posted By: picker

Agreed overall but is that cat a reporter or just another Net-enabled commenter w/no other outlet for their ideas ?

Why do I care-maybe I didn`t make that as clear as I thought I did.
Ergo I will repeat myself.
I care because I respect both parties for their contributions to music.
I care because I see some clearly missed communication, as I explained in my earlier comments. Mr. Blackmore`s overall attitude doesn`t figure in this conversation IMO-he could have stated it better but, the guy`s just saying his own preferences. He is explaining why he has the preferences. So? I`m sure some of the players I admire don`t care for what I do.

#2929559 - 05/27/18 04:13 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
I admire Morse and Satriani way more than many of the other git fiddle players out there right now. Blackmore is also a decent player, not in the same class as Morse and Satch but decent enough in my humble opinion. I never bought a Blackmore album ever, nor anything Blackmore played on. But I bought a lot of Satriani CD's and some that Morse played on. I guess that says it for me.

Know what you mean. When any discussion 'round these parts turn to "great" guitar players, Blackmore's name never comes up. NOT that it means people 'round here don't think he's any good, but that he's never been thought of in the same class with guys like Beck, EVH, SRV, Jimi and all them. wink
Whitefang

#2929595 - 05/27/18 08:06 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: skipclone 1]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
Why do I care-maybe I didn`t make that as clear as I thought I did.
Ergo I will repeat myself.
I care because I respect both parties for their contributions to music.
I care because I see some clearly missed communication, as I explained in my earlier comments. Mr. Blackmore`s overall attitude doesn`t figure in this conversation IMO-he could have stated it better but, the guy`s just saying his own preferences. He is explaining why he has the preferences. So? I`m sure some of the players I admire don`t care for what I do.

Thanks, Skipper !
I un-derama-stand what ya mean.
Music, more than any other art, even poemtry grin , is abt communication, lyrics or not.
So when professional communicators can't/don't it's a dragsapointment.

#2929649 - 05/27/18 04:44 PM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: d]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Maine
These kind of arguments can never be won. So much is personal taste and the difference is between upper echelon guitarists gets smaller the better they are. All these guys can step on stage together and hold their own. It would be interesting to get Richie and Joe the same stage and see how they play together.
That being said, it's always amazes me these days when a guitarist goes on the record critiquing another guitarist like Blackmore did. It usually turns into a pissing contest the way everything goes viral these days. Of course some people love to be provocative.

#2929654 - 05/27/18 05:27 PM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: bbqbob]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The interesting thing to me abt this is that the events took place almost 3 decades ago---what brought it floating to the surface now ?
snax

#2929679 - 05/28/18 04:04 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: d
The interesting thing to me abt this is that the events took place almost 3 decades ago---what brought it floating to the surface now ?
snax

Well, shit DOES float..... Don't it? boing
Whitefang

#2929863 - 05/29/18 08:35 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: whitefang]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I read the article the comment comes from, and he was very complimentary of Steve Morse and Joe Satriani, saying they are great and he enjoys them... but then he said basically that he wished they were a little more "free" and "exploratory," and were more risk-takers. "If you always play the right note, you're not exploring."

I, personally, agree with that... but then I personally love Neil Young's guitar playing more than Steve Morse or Joe Satriani, so most of you will not hold my opinion that highly.

#2929864 - 05/29/18 08:38 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: Scott Fraser]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Boy, do I NOT have a dog in THAT fight.

HAHAHA... honestly, me neither... but I enjoy hearing Blackmore more...

#2929865 - 05/29/18 08:42 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

DId anyone post the original article in its entirety? Blackmore talked about playing from the heart as opposed to the head... that's what he was referring to... if this was the jazz world, everyone would be on his side.

#2929881 - 05/29/18 10:03 AM Re: I don`t usually get into this but... [Re: p90jr]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: p90jr
... but I enjoy hearing Blackmore more...

I'm not really a BIG fan of either but I think I know what y'mean.
When Satriani 1st garnered national fame as SMURFIN' WID ANY OLD ALIEN was splash marketed, I excitedly bought a copy but was quite disappointed---he had all kindsa chops but I couldn't remember any of the music when the alb finished. He seemed to lack compositional skills & perhaps even real verve in his playing.
I'm not certain I'd say that's the case today; I'm still not that familiar w/his stuff but in checking out some bg on Vai I came across some JS stuff that seemed more expressive/emotive...or perhaps better structured, a skill/talent Blackmore prolly had more innately.
This perf, for example, could almost be a MIA Eddie Hazel-Frank Zappa jam.

Back to the main subject here, to the degree that I allowed myself time to listen to the comments of any of the parties involved, both RB & JS seemed a bit snarky & passive-aggressive, which was enough to cancel my subscription to either team, although some music by both has some appeal.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose