Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2929084 - 05/24/18 01:39 PM Amps and the reason why you like yours
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
OK mine is my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe version 2 which I bought just after version 2 came out. There is something about the tone of the thing that I am absolutely in awe of. It is fat nowhere near as bright as the classic Fenders. The clean channel only, the overdrive channel stinks worse than Limburger Cheese cheers I do effect it for overdrive and reverb between the guitar and amp input.

I also have an Egnater Tweaker 15 watt head. which is my second favorite. I have owned a lot opf expensive amps in the past see list below.

1) Fender Black Face Bassman 1960's with 2-12 Cab with stock speaker
2) Fender Black Face Deluxe Reverb 1960's with stock speaker
3) Marshall Hundred Watt Plexi head with Sunn 6-12 Bass cabinet
4) Fender Silver Face Twin Reverb with 2- JBL K 120 Speakers
5) Fender Silver Face Pro Reverb with 2- JBL K 120 Speakers
6) Fender Silver Face Deluxe Reverb with stock speaker
7) Peavey Hundred watt 2-12 hybrid amp (I don't remember the model number)
8) Peavey Fifty watt 2-12 hybrid amp (I don't remember the model number)
9) Peavey two Hundred watt hybrid amp head (I don't remember the model number or speaker combination)
10) Music Man Hundred watt hybrid Combo with stock speakers (I don't remember the model number)
11) Music Man fifty watt hybrid Combo with stock speakers (I don't remember the model number)
12) Fender 30 one twelve combo (Rivera Era) With stock speaker. (This is one of my all time favorites)
13) Seymour Duncan hundred watt head Model unknown with the preamp modules that could be changed
14) Mesa Boogie Mark II C+ 80 watt head which was a Mark II B, then C, Then C+ With a 1-12 cab with an EVM 12L in it.
15) Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp with Strategy 400 Power amp with 4 -1-12 cabs with EVM 12L's in them
16) Mesa Boogie Mark IV 80 watt combo (with the OEM EVM 12L speaker from the Mark II C+ that I still have but did not sell with the amp).
17) Gallien Kruegar Micro Lead ML250
18) Galilien Kruegar later model Micro Lead (Model unknown)
19) 2 Fender Frontman 15 Gs with a modeler pedalboard in front for stereo practice.1
20) Fender Hot Rod Deluxe combo with an Emeience Cannabis Rex 12" speaker. (I still have it, It is my all time favorite amp with a pedalboard in front of it)
21) Bogner Alchemist 50 watt tube 1-12 combo, (did not like it, sent it back)
22) Mesa Boogie Hundred watt Lone Star Classic head. (did not like it, sent it back)
23) Fender Super Champ X2 15 watt combo with Eminence Lil Buddy 10" speaker (Sold it and regret selling it)
24) Ibanez TS 15 Head (did not like it, sent it back)
25) Egnater Tweaker 15 Watt Head. into an EVM 12 L 1-12 speaker cab (It is my second all time favorite amp with a pedalboard in front of it)
26) Epiphone 5 watt Valve Junior Head which I just sent to my kiddo as a gift.

I sold or traded or gave away all of the amps I mentioned above except for the Hot Rod Deluxe and the Tweaker 15 watt head.......
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

GP Island
#2929088 - 05/24/18 02:00 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: desertbluesman]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm currently in heaven with my twin Supro 1600 Supremes... one of them more than handles a gig on its own when I get a raised eyebrow at using two.

I also love my Vox AC30CC... use it when I can (and won't get screamed at for its volume).

LIke my Vox AC15CCX a lot... soundmen grumble that it's too "punchy" or something...

I have a Sovtek Midget Mig 50 half-half stack (2 x 12") that's cool...

A Bedrock BC 50, which is like a Fender Twin channel and an AC30 channel in one amp. It's okay... I tend to make it "bark (make an irritating glitch sound)" on the bottom end when I EQ it the way I like and play it, but I found reviews from when it was released complaining about that... will probably release it back into the market at some point... for now it comes in handy when people stop over to The Fortress of Soulitude (my rehearsal building in the back yard) for a jam... they sound good through it... must just be me.

My tweed Blues Deville (from the first year they made them in the early '90s, I think) is resting in its roadcase out in the Fortress... I gigged the hell out of it through the 90s and early 00s. When I've pulled it out in the past 10 or so years something wasn't right, and I've ended up plugging a preamp pedal into the power amp section. Reading something recently about a tech who was brought an immaculate very barely used early Blues Deville that wasn't working properly it turns out something in that effects loop circuit goes bad if the amp isn't used for long periods of time. Mentioned it to my amp tech buddy, and he said what he's said about that amp since 2003... "SELL IT!!!!" Then relented... "I can just maybe bypass the effects loop altogether. I HATE PCB AMPS!!!! Only for you!!!"

#2929133 - 05/24/18 05:45 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: p90jr]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Gotta admit I never developed any real dependent affinity for an amp, although I generally preferred Fenders, esp Bassman heads.
Perhaps partly b/c of my tendency to play a wide variety of types of music but also a preference for a clean, controllable sound my fave amp in the late 1970s wound up being a Macintosh power amp + array of pedals.

Currently considering moving into the 21st C & using a notebook amp sim.
Reasons? convenience for both recording & live play.

Edited by d (05/24/18 06:46 PM)

#2929152 - 05/24/18 07:14 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
+1 on the Hot Rod Deluxe 112 DBM...if I could only keep one of mine, this would be it. Fender tubers with a touch of stock verb is all I need for the clean sound I so enjoy. From my Twin Reverb days to my Hot Rod DeVille to my Hot Rod Deluxe, I became a devout believer in Fender amps...

I have other amps that I use more often as practice amp/PA like my little Roland Street Cube EX4 (and my Fishman Solo amp Stick), so I should give one of them the nod for the "if I could only keep one" concept. As they allow me to sing and play with a single amp set up and are very compact easy in/easy out light weight with more than enough power. But for the amp of choice for guitar, give me the HRD! cool

#2929166 - 05/24/18 08:55 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: Larryz]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
I love my Fender Supersonic 22 112. Just the right size for most of what I do. My grandpa has a Showman and a Vibrolux he lets me use. I really love the Showman, but way to much amp for my needs.

#2929195 - 05/25/18 04:11 AM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: surfergirl]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I have a bunch of amps. The way sound reinforcement works these days I have a little 1-12 Rectoverb 25 I use for everything. For electric guitar I don't need anything else really. The cleans are pristine and the dirty get really heavy. It nails the 90s alternative and Foo fighters type stuff I'm doing with the Rock band. It does anything.

I carry a Fishman LoudeBox for acoustic stuff(banjo,dobro, and acoustic guitar). I used to use a bunch of stuff into a pair of EV powered wedges. The EV rig sounded better but it was overkill and the Fishman works well enough and is light and easy.

I play pedal steel through a Peavey Nashville 400.

But I have some old Fender stuff and more Boogie stuff and a VHT thing. I have a 5 watt Blackstar thing also.

Edited by CEB (05/25/18 04:15 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2929221 - 05/25/18 06:26 AM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: CEB]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I finally landed my "dream amp" a few years ago - a Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 2x12 combo. While it sounds "best" to me when run on all 30 watts and relatively high on the master, it still sounds great when dropped to 2 power amps (15 watts) or into triode mode (7 watts). Not a super high gain amp, it gets just enough roar, and handles pedals really nicely. The "voice" function gives 5 tonal options as starting points; each one has its place, but I tend to use the "deep' setting most of the time. Excellent spring reverb.

I also have an Egnater Tweaker 15 watt 1x12 combo, which is nice, but still a bit to "Fender clean" to my ears, even when put on the British settings. For certain guitars, it sounds great, and is a good grab & go amp as it is light. Somehow, it doesn't get along with my ES 335 (at least not as well as other amps).

Vox AC5 is a fun little amp, for home practicing and such. Haven't had a chance to use it in a studio setting yet. I probably need to fool around with different tubes to get an ideal tone out of it. Currently, my son has temporary custody of it in his room (with his Les Paul Junior, it's just basic rock'n'roll).

I have tried to sell my Roland Super Cube several times, but with no bites. This is the 80's series, not the modern reissue. 60 watts of solid-state power; real spring reverb. Good cleans. The Drive channel can get obnoxiously loud & overdriven. Another grab & go option, if I need to go to a jam or something.

I still have my first amp, a silverface Fender Bassman 10 50 watt 4x10 combo. It was my bass amp, but really works well with the ES335. A couple of times that I've plaid outdoor stages and was able to turn it all the way up, it was beautiful. Decent in the studio, too. Just don't get much opportunity to max it out.

Another bass amp that I have is a Phil Jones Bass Briefcase. 1200 watts solid state, 2x5; I've used this as an acoustic guitar amp with good results.

My main bass amp is another Phil Jones amp, the Sixpack. 175 watts w 6 5" speakers; but when you add another cab can put out 750 watts. Good on its own, I couple it with a Genz Benz 2x10 cab for full effect when I'm able.

I also have a Carvin Red Line 1000 watt bass head, and a Carvin Red Line 15" cab. Coupled those with the GB 2x10 for the almost-full stack effect, back when I was in a heavier band.

#2929267 - 05/25/18 10:12 AM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: Danzilla]
splitting hare Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: The 'Nooga
Some impressive amps listed by everyone so far! thu

Honestly, I have never really been on a quest to find THE amp but I have gone through a few of them for about the past 20 years.

Right around Y2K I began playing heavily again after a several year hiatus where I played very little if at all. Up until this point I had only owned SS amps and the only one I had at that moment was an ancient Peavey Musician head that I had gigged with in the mid 80s - it was fried, though. A customer and fellow guitar player informed me that he had a '69 silver face Bandmaster Reverb head and cabinet and he made me a sweet deal on it. Very soon after, I was asked to join a band and while I loved the Bandmaster, I was a bit apprehensive about hauling it to gigs, smoky clubs and venues and such. So, I decided I needed another amp, keeping the vintage Fender at home for rehearsals and future recording (although I have taken it out on a couple higher end gigs since). It has a sweet tone along and the reverb and vibrato are killer!

Having liked a few Peavey amps over the years and now being sold on tube amps, I decided on a Classic 50 head to use with my home made 4x12 cabinet. A bit of a fatter tone than the Fender. Loved this configuration as well as having access to a 4x12 Crate cabinet for use at gigs - it stayed in the band's trailer when not in use so all I had to haul to the gig was the head itself while my homemade cab stayed at home. Sweet!

After awhile, the older I was getting, the more I was wanting something smaller to bring to the gig. On a whim I made a bid for a Fender Champ 25 on eBay. Had never played through one and I didn't think I was going to win it, but no one bid after me and I was now the owner!

After gigging with the Champ 25 for about a year, I decided I wanted something else instead. It was an okay amp but not scratching the itch. Also, the band I was in at that time had another guitar player who played a Tele thru a Roland JC 55. I was unable to compete sonically and was getting buried in the mix it seemed. Sold it and bought a Marshall Haze 40 combo that I demoed in a music store. While the onboard fx on it (chorus, delay, vibe) were so-so, I loved the tone of it, especially the clean channel. This is my main gigging amp today due to its portability and nice sound. Dirty channel sounds excellent as well.

Later I was given a Peavey Prowler tube amp out of the blue. This was a wonderful gift and it is a hot little amp as well. Another nice clean channel (which is what I normally use on all my amps - Haze, Classic 50, and this one). But every now and then I will switch to a dirty channel but for the most part, I get my overdrive from either my TS9, Selah Scarlett Love (or a blending of both), or my Full Drive 2.

Also have a neat little Vox Pathfinder 10 Union Jack amp that my wife bought for me as a gift. This is great for practicing and porch pickin'. It has a dirty channel also and it sounds, well like a Vox! Although I haven't yet, I will probably record some with this little amp at some point in time.

So, each amp for me does have kind of a uniqueness about it and each serves a purpose. Right now I don't see myself searching for another any time soon. That doesn't mean that if something crosses my path I won't be tempted! rawk

#2929326 - 05/25/18 01:10 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: splitting hare]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I'l spare you the saga of Amps past. Not as many as some, but more than enough, too many to recall at present.

I have three Amps, at present. In order of acquisition (as the Ferengi might put it).

First up is a pawnshop prize, a Roland KC60, their smallest KB Amp, which I use with my Guitar Synths and MFX. I saw it in a local pawnshop with a $140 price tag on it; while I was looking, one of the women who worked there came over and said, "You could get it for less." Thinking that this was an unusual but not unwelcome sales tactic, I asked how much less, and offered $80 cash. It seems that was enough.

Next up is a Laney VC30 212. For me, the sound has always been a Gibson Guitar driving a British Tube Amp, whether we're talking Live At Leeds or Inner Mounting Flame, and a little over a year ago, I got it into my head to go back to that sound, instead of Amp Modeling. One of our Forum brothers just happened to have a nice Laney VC30 212, ready to move. That one got its first outing at the 100 Guitar event, and stood up quite well amid the din. Loud enough for a big room, but small enough that I can haul it.

Last was a give-away, a Fender Red Knob Deluxe 85. One of my buddies from the 100 Guitars event was moving, and had a pile of gear that he had decided not to take with him. I figure there's no reason to pass on a free, working U.S.-made Fender Amp.

Edited by Winston Psmith (05/25/18 01:11 PM)

http://www.novparolo.com

#2929349 - 05/25/18 04:13 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
I figure there's no reason to pass on a free, working U.S.-made Fender Amp.

Ditto. I was given a silver face Deluxe Reverb many decades ago, & it's probably the amp I'll keep around after some downsizing. Needs a more appropriate speaker than the replacement Carvin in it at the moment.

#2929369 - 05/25/18 06:14 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: Scott Fraser]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I own a few amps these days. The one I use most is a custom amp, hand-built for me by Bojan Michalovic, a Serbian technician who lives here in KC He had a bunch of parts laying around, and decided he wanted to build it to see what it would do. After he was done, he gave it to me. It has octal preamp tubes instead of 12AX7s, and 2 6L6 power tubes. It's a 20 watt screamer, and it really does the job.

I just recently acquired a Peavey Triumph 60 combo with one Celestion Greenback 12, and I've plugged in once so far. I think it's gonna be my amp of choice, since it sounds somewhat similar to my first Mark III Boogie, which I miss dearly.

I also have a Quilter Tone Block, which I use mostly for bass guitar these days, but it works pretty well as a guitar amp too.
I also have Crate Power Block, which is a pretty cool little amp as well. I haven't used it in a long time. I'll have to drag it out and plug it in again one of these days.

Lastly, I have a 15 watt Line 6 amp I use for practice and testing stuff.
I have two bass amps, a Peavey Mark VII and a Hughes & Ketner, both of which work pretty well at what they do.

For speakers, I have two custom built 1x10 cabs with Eminence Ragin' Cajuns in them. I have a remade Sears Silvertone 2x12 cab, with Eminence speakers, not sure which model.

That's another piece of gear I haven't used in a while. I mostly use one of 1x10s, and it does the job nicely. The 10 is loud enough, but keeps the volume controllable.

#2929388 - 05/25/18 07:57 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: desertbluesman]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
OK mine is my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe version 2 which I bought just after version 2 came out. There is something about the tone of the thing that I am absolutely in awe of. It is fat nowhere near as bright as the classic Fenders. The clean channel only, the overdrive channel stinks worse than Limburger Cheese cheers I do effect it for overdrive and reverb between the guitar and amp input.

I also have an Egnater Tweaker 15 watt head. which is my second favorite. I have owned a lot opf expensive amps in the past see list below.

1) Fender Black Face Bassman 1960's with 2-12 Cab with stock speaker
2) Fender Black Face Deluxe Reverb 1960's with stock speaker
3) Marshall Hundred Watt Plexi head with Sunn 6-12 Bass cabinet
4) Fender Silver Face Twin Reverb with 2- JBL K 120 Speakers
5) Fender Silver Face Pro Reverb with 2- JBL K 120 Speakers
6) Fender Silver Face Deluxe Reverb with stock speaker
7) Peavey Hundred watt 2-12 hybrid amp (I don't remember the model number)
8) Peavey Fifty watt 2-12 hybrid amp (I don't remember the model number)
9) Peavey two Hundred watt hybrid amp head (I don't remember the model number or speaker combination)
10) Music Man Hundred watt hybrid Combo with stock speakers (I don't remember the model number)
11) Music Man fifty watt hybrid Combo with stock speakers (I don't remember the model number)
12) Fender 30 one twelve combo (Rivera Era) With stock speaker. (This is one of my all time favorites)
13) Seymour Duncan hundred watt head Model unknown with the preamp modules that could be changed
14) Mesa Boogie Mark II C+ 80 watt head which was a Mark II B, then C, Then C+ With a 1-12 cab with an EVM 12L in it.
15) Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp with Strategy 400 Power amp with 4 -1-12 cabs with EVM 12L's in them
16) Mesa Boogie Mark IV 80 watt combo (with the OEM EVM 12L speaker from the Mark II C+ that I still have but did not sell with the amp).
17) Gallien Kruegar Micro Lead ML250
18) Galilien Kruegar later model Micro Lead (Model unknown)
19) 2 Fender Frontman 15 Gs with a modeler pedalboard in front for stereo practice.1
20) Fender Hot Rod Deluxe combo with an Emeience Cannabis Rex 12" speaker. (I still have it, It is my all time favorite amp with a pedalboard in front of it)
21) Bogner Alchemist 50 watt tube 1-12 combo, (did not like it, sent it back)
22) Mesa Boogie Hundred watt Lone Star Classic head. (did not like it, sent it back)
23) Fender Super Champ X2 15 watt combo with Eminence Lil Buddy 10" speaker (Sold it and regret selling it)
24) Ibanez TS 15 Head (did not like it, sent it back)
25) Egnater Tweaker 15 Watt Head. into an EVM 12 L 1-12 speaker cab (It is my second all time favorite amp with a pedalboard in front of it)
26) Epiphone 5 watt Valve Junior Head which I just sent to my kiddo as a gift.

I sold or traded or gave away all of the amps I mentioned above except for the Hot Rod Deluxe and the Tweaker 15 watt head.......

Wow! That's quite a list Desert! You're approaching Joe Bonamassa territory! I presently have a 15W Fender Blues Junior and a small Blackstar HTR-1 which I use for recording. I love both of them. I use the clean channel on the Blackstar with my pedal board providing the dirt. It's a fabulous little recording amp.

#2929479 - 05/26/18 11:00 AM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: Delta]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Delta
Wow! That's quite a list Desert! You're approaching Joe Bonamassa territory!

I had a terrible case of GAS back in the day, (and more money than good sense). cheers

#2929904 - 05/29/18 11:07 AM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: desertbluesman]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

oh, just to complete the list of stuff I have around (I thought it was gigging amps):

My bass rig is a 1X15" Hartke cab and a 2X10plusTweeter Hartke cab, with 2 Hartke HA5500 500 watt heads (one overheated and I need to have it checked out, but my personal fave bass amp... no sound I can't dial up with its features) and a Genz Benz something or other that's 500 watts. I mostly play bass with my fingers and like having headroom and letting the amp do the work... hence the 500 watters.

The "backup amp" that's always in the car/van is a Crate PowerBlock w/ Tech 21 Liverpool pedal. I have used the PowerBlock as a bass amp (when the Hartke mentioned above overheated onstage) and it sounded great and had some power and tone.

a Vox AC4 sits next to the sofa and is fun to play through... especially a Strat...

I have a Vox Pathfinder solid state practice amp that sounds good and comes in handy a lot... It's been a more than decent acoustic guitar amp on many small gigs.

Next to my bed sits a zT Lunchbox Jr. with sometimes has music streamed through it, is great with amplitube on the iPhone running throught it and sounds great by itself... plus, it has a battery pack and fits in a suitcase full of clothes or a backpack, so it's a good travel amp and busking amp.

Acoustic gigging amp is an Ashdown Radiator aar3 10. It's great... small, shaped like a monitor, loud and clear... I let a friend use it at a gig we were playing in a hipster punk rock bar and I heard the 20 something grungy soundguy ridicule it as "old man gear..." Furk him!

Keyboards/EHX 9 series pedals so through a Roland KC300... the big one... also serves as a vocal PA sometimes.

I also have one of the re-issue Ampeg Jet 12R 15 watt combos from the 90s with I play bass through in the living room, sometimes plug a jazzbox into... hate it otherwise. Different preamp tubes and speaker would probably make it more to my liking, but it's not a priority.

#2932436 - 06/12/18 11:44 AM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
WHEN IT'S WORKING, I really like the way I can use my Carvin Vintage 33 1x12 combo for the "play the amp" approach, where I can go from clean to mean to scream to beam-me-up, Scotty with just my guitar's volume-controls and my "touch".

I rarely use its "Clean"/"Rhythm" Channel- only when I specifically need a very "blackface"/"tweed" type somewhat mid-scooped bright clean tone, or for the sound of a fuzz going into such an amp.

Otherwise, I really like the full, warm, robust clean tones that I can get from its "Soak"/overdrive/distortion Channel; and it's marvelous going from there through various shades of overdrive and distortion by adjusting the guitar's volume-knobs and my touch, as though I have multiple channel-switching without having to stomp on any footswitches. Enhancing that with good pedals is icing on the cake.

Speaking of pedals, the "Clean" Channel of my Egnater Rebel 30 MKII head and 1x12 closed-back cab is VERY pedal-friendly, even more so than the Carvin. I really enjoy being able to get fat, warm cranked tube-amp tones and feel at very low volumes; it has controls for 1 to 30 Watts for each channel, AND the ability to switch between duets of 6V6's and EL84's or even any blend between them. I'm less than enamored with the overall tone and feel of its "Overdrive" Channel; it does NOT do the "play the amp" thing well. So, I've primarily used its Clean Channel with a Radial Tonebone Plexitube overdrive/distortion pedal for a more typical approach switching between cleans and dirt. For mild overdrive and softened vintage tube-amp response, its Clean Channel delivers with its watts dialed-down and the 6V6's presiding.

My 7 watt Fuchs Lucky 7 head has a wonderful cranked Marshall "plexi"-like gain and voicing with nice bite, overdrive, and lots of high-end presence; it excels at harmonic-feedback. It is missing a lot of low-end 'oomph' and thump, but if it's close-miked, much of that will come through the mic. I can dial-in my Plexitube pedal to sound like additional gainy and gainier channels on the amp; very nice!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2932456 - 06/12/18 02:08 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Both my amps are set for the fattest clean tones with the trebs mitigated a bit to help with the ice pick pick attack. I effect the amps with a digital reverb and a tube overdrive device.

I would love to have the ability to "play the amp" like Caev said above, which I have not been able to do since my days of turning the fender amp all the way up and then using the power tube overdrive to get the overdrive sound and then cleaning it up with the volume control. No stomps needed (back in the day when I could enjoy the massive volumes those old classic Fenders put out).

Nowadays I rely on my Nady TD-1 overdrive stomp which is similar to the Tonebone Classic sound for that type of clean/distortion sound control. Not quite the best simulation of that "play the amp" method, but close enough.

#2932480 - 06/12/18 06:17 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: desertbluesman]
Lokair Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Braeburn PA
Now My Mesa JP2C is just great for me with some 2 12 cabinets.

Previously Mesa Quad with a few power amps , but I liked the Tube works Pro valve.

Bass amps I still have a Trace Elliot ah 400 smx head and cabinets and a fender M80 combo(awesome bass amp for little money).

Still have an epiphone valve JR, modded , sounds good for bass or guitar blues jamming.

The one that got away was a Crate Blue Voodoo 60 (i think it was modded i tried others but no where near as good), that sounded great for blues and rock. Was sold before I could get some cash for it.

And for any one looking there is Fuchs Mod Overdrive Supreme - 100 Watt Guitar Head at Nstuff music in Pittsburgh, Gave it a try and it sounds very good, but not for me. \

Lok

#2932486 - 06/12/18 06:49 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: Lokair]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Lokair

Previously Mesa Quad with a few power amps , but I liked the Tube works Pro valve.

Lok

I had a Mesa Quad Preamp back in the day (late 80's) I had it hooked to a Mesa Strategy 400, 200 watts per side all tube power amp. It was awesome, but the loudest thing I ever owned. Just massive sound. I played it through 4 1-12 cabs with EVM 12L 300 watt speakers in each open back cab. I still have one of those EVM12L's from that amp odyssey.

#2932506 - 06/12/18 11:53 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: desertbluesman]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Only 2 amps, so far.

1) The workhorse for the past decade+ is a Fender HRD III Combo, which beat out a Vox AC30 by a metaphorical coin flip. I mess around in a whole bunch of genres...and freely cross genre boundaries when doing so. This amp provides a great open space for my stable of pedals to play in- at least on it’s clean channel. But the heavier stuff I play exposed the amp’s limitations, so I bought...

2) An Orange TH30 Head and 2x12 cab. Orange amps are used by so many of my metal idols it isn’t funny, so when I started looking for a beefier amp, they had a head start*. Sealing the deal was playing through it at the guitar store to test the guitar I was picking up from having the pickups upgraded. From chord one, with no pedals, that heaviness was there in ways the Fender just hinted at. The salesman I always worked with actually snapped his head around to see where that low C came from.

Sadly, I have not gotten to PLAY the amp since I brought it home. Long story, but lots of stuff happening coupled with simple space issues have prevented me from doing any more than unpacking it.

* I still want several of the also-rans, though, as well as some of the ones the Fender edged out years ago.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2932576 - 06/13/18 09:55 AM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
mikesr1963 Offline

Loc: Virginia's East Coast
Crate XT120R: This amp accepts pedals very well and is a 2x12. Different types of metal guitar are my favorite thing to dial in with this and since I've play it for over 15 years I've recorded a number of dial presets to get me where I want. I recently bought a 50 dollar DOD Boneshaker pedal and it does very well on both dirty channels.

Fender Frontman 25R with a Crate 4x12 cab: This amp I use primarily for distorted bluesy play and slide. I also love the Foghat tones I can get out of it usually with a MOJOMOJO pedal stacked with a Boss DS1.

Line 6 Spider 3 75 that I've had for a long time: For the last few months I've played a lot of clean, dripping, reverb guitar on this. Blues/Jazzy. I spent a morning in Guitar Center playing a Roland Blues Cube a while back and recorded some licks on my iPhone. Then I came home and dialed that in on the Spider 3. Kept recording the spider sample on my phone and comparing them with the Cube until I almost couldn't tell the difference and then save it as a preset.

Epiphone Valve Junior: Bought it new and have had it a long time but haven't found anything I like about it. It really doesn't do anything good.

#2932620 - 06/13/18 02:50 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: desertbluesman]
Lokair Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

Lok

I had a Mesa Quad Preamp back in the day (late 80's) I had it hooked to a Mesa Strategy 400, 200 watts per side all tube power amp. It was awesome, but the loudest thing I ever owned. Just massive sound. I played it through 4 1-12 cabs with EVM 12L 300 watt speakers in each open back cab. I still have one of those EVM12L's from that amp odyssey.

That was probably the a crushingly loud rig , WOW . EVM12L's are a great speaker for guitar and one of the few that could handle that. I had a pair of them in a bass rig with my Trace elliot amp at one point and they were Great Sounding and crisp response . The Quad was a great preamp, it would do everything my JP2C would but you had to adjust to more and it was heavy.

Lok

#2932624 - 06/13/18 03:06 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: mikesr1963]
Lokair Offline
Gold Member

Hey Mike

Originally Posted By: mikesr1963

Epiphone Valve Junior: Bought it new and have had it a long time but haven't found anything I like about it. It really doesn't do anything good.

These can Be great little amps, just need an EQ pedal or a mod kit from one of the suppliers , I put part of my pedal board infront of it and it sings .

Lok

#2932637 - 06/13/18 04:47 PM Re: Amps and the reason why you like yours [Re: Lokair]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey Mike

Originally Posted By: mikesr1963

These can Be great little amps, just need an EQ pedal or a mod kit from one of the suppliers , I put part of my pedal board infront of it and it sings .

Lok

I had one of those Valve Junior amps. I liked it a bunch truthfully with a distortion stomp and reverb pedal in front, it actually had some good sound qualities. I gave it to my oldest kiddo, because I bought the Egnater Tweaker and I live in a tiny house so no room for 3 amps inside my house truthfully, and no sense in storing it and not using it so the kiddo got it..

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose