Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2928878 - 05/23/18 03:18 PM Got to record on a Yamaha CFX!
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
I was able to try out the new Yamaha CFX over at San Diego State. I didn't have much time with it but I was able to get this recording of 'But Beautiful'.

But Beautiful on a Yamaha CFX

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

KC Island
#2928886 - 05/23/18 04:59 PM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: Bobadohshe]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Nice playing and the piano sounds generally good. But at 1:23/:24 at the Em and the following F9 b5 -- at first I thought it was a voicing issue but it sounds to be the hammer or hammers aren't hitting all the strings squarely. I believe the hammer strike position needs to be adjusted.

Maybe they haven't had a chance to really go over it meticulously yet. A piano of that caliber certainly needs that kind of detail. I've played maybe 4 or 5 CFXs, and they've all been very very good. Very easy on the hands with the responsive action.

How did you record it ? Thanks for posting and nice chords.

Listening again I'm hearing that ping around :54/55 when you play the melody in the RH. But not as pronounced.

Tell them they need another one, this one's a pos and to just drop this one off in my living room (I think it would fit) and I'll take care of those tech issues..... grin

Edited by Dave Ferris (05/23/18 08:54 PM)

2005 NY Steinway D

#2928887 - 05/23/18 05:19 PM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: Dave Ferris]
davedoerfler Online   confused
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
excellent, Bobby. twothumbs

Quite simply - If you can't play Jump on it, you don't want it.
MojoGuyPan

The Voyager is a Minimoog.
Bob Moog

#2928925 - 05/23/18 09:31 PM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: davedoerfler]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
But Beautiful, indeed.

#2928932 - 05/23/18 10:48 PM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: Dave Ferris]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Nice playing and the piano sounds generally good. But at 1:23/:24 at the Em and the following F9 b5 -- at first I thought it was a voicing issue but it sounds to be the hammer or hammers aren't hitting all the strings squarely. I believe the hammer strike position needs to be adjusted.

Maybe they haven't had a chance to really go over it meticulously yet. A piano of that caliber certainly needs that kind of detail. I've played maybe 4 or 5 CFXs, and they've all been very very good. Very easy on the hands with the responsive action.

How did you record it ? Thanks for posting and nice chords.

Listening again I'm hearing that ping around :54/55 when you play the melody in the RH. But not as pronounced.

Tell them they need another one, this one's a pos and to just drop this one off in my living room (I think it would fit) and I'll take care of those tech issues..... grin

Yeah there are some issues. Some of the unisons are out too. It was not a formal session and it prob hadn't been tuned super recently. My friend works there and he's kept mentioning I should come down and check it out. I brought a dirty recording set up - a couple Studio Projects large diaphragm C1s into my Apogee Ensemble, and played through a bunch of stuff. The issue at 1:23 I hear and I'm not sure what caused it. Could even be phasing cause of my crappy engineering?

#2928934 - 05/23/18 11:06 PM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: Bobadohshe]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The first recording I posted was close miced with both C1s a foot or so above the soundboard, and both mics several feet apart. This can cause crazy phasing issues I think.

Here is a second take where I moved the mics back a few feet from the piano and had them both about 10" apart. I think the sound is more uniform but I still hear a little of what Dave is talking about.

For both cuts I have the mics hard panned.

ALSO: This is a noisy take. Somebody walked through the room while I was recording and my bench is a squeaking too.

But Beautiful with Mics further away

#2928937 - 05/23/18 11:40 PM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: Bobadohshe]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Beautiful.

#2928938 - 05/23/18 11:51 PM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: Bobadohshe]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I heard the second recording as having more body. Yeah when you have the LD mics, it's so much about placement , knowing the room etc, etc, etc. I stayed away from them when buying my small diaphragm DPA 4011s on the advice of engineer Rich Breen. Especially he said because of the size of the piano in a room that small, and having the 20 X 20 parallel walls. He said the LDs were a can of worms and best results were attained by a highly skilled engineer...which obviously I ain't. wink

I don't hear it as a phase issue but more the piano - might be it needs just a good tuning. I initially mentioned the unisons but then changed my post because I thought it was the hammer strike. Could be either, or both.

You know 9'ers are a bear to get rock solid with tuning. Mine is always floating around. Some mornings the upper unisons sound way out to the point of being cringe worthy and 3 hours later, it sounds perfectly fine. One frustrating issue with pianos that large.

In any case great job on it all. I've subconsciously always stayed away from But Beautiful, probably because it's SO identified with Bill. But I liked how you treated the opening on the first take a lot. Kinda minimalist and floaty with a bit of dissonance, that fit really nice.

Must've been a lot of fun and inspiring to play a great piano.

Edited by Dave Ferris (05/24/18 12:07 AM)

2005 NY Steinway D

#2928995 - 05/24/18 08:56 AM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: Dave Ferris]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks Dave.

I had the luxury of only recently discovering that Bill played that tune. I had worked up the intro before being exposed to his version. If I'd had him looming in my head I may have never tried playing it. Van Heusen tunes are some of my favorites. His harmony always makes it easy to drape all kinds of color over the song.

The piano was inspiring. Then of course you listen back and realize how imperfect EVERYTHING in your own playing is. I played some classical and it was a joke. A great way to knock yourself out of complacency though.

I'm probably getting back in with the instrument next week and will see if I can try a few more things.

#2928999 - 05/24/18 09:03 AM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: Bobadohshe]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here's something else. My little Bach Invention based on Giant Steps harmony. This is mic'ed with the lid on short stick and the mics a foot away and 10" apart from each other. Again not a perfect take.

Coltrane Meets Bach

#2929066 - 05/24/18 12:41 PM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: Bobadohshe]
Strays Dave Offline

Your shared clips are stimulating some juices in my musical mind.
Thanks for sharing. Beautiful harmonies.

Maybe try some Ellington/Strayhorn on the piano ? If so, please share.

Edited by Strays Dave (05/24/18 12:42 PM)

#2929092 - 05/24/18 02:03 PM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: Strays Dave]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Great playing Bobby!

#2929352 - 05/25/18 04:26 PM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: Al Quinn]
moj Online   content
Platinum Member

Nice arrangements and playing.

#2930646 - 06/02/18 01:21 AM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: moj]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Very Nice Bobby! Great sound and awesome playing!

#2930946 - 06/04/18 12:37 AM Re: Got to record on a Yamaha CFX! [Re: RudyS]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
What an enjoyable listen!