Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Vox Keyboard Amp!

To B3

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 watts and 9 lbs... there's a reason it includes a line out to put it into a PA system.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have been working with the NuTube since it was released to new product development. The main advantages of the tube are low voltage and low power operation - it runs very cool and with a neat blueish glow. The low voltage and power also lead to some interesting ways to control it. NuTube audio sounds much like a standard dual triode. And yes, you can get nice overdrive. Don't know if the new amp does, though. One more thing, look for solid state on the output.

A Fender Twin is 85 watts.

I know, watts doesn't tell you a lot, But the combination of everything leads me to believe this is unlikely to be much like a twin reverb. And 85 is still a good amount more than 50. ;-) Is there anything close to a 9 pound 50 watt amp with an 8" woofer that really cranks (and hopefully sounds decent, too)? I'm not putting this down, I haven't heard it, but I'd be surprised if it could keep up in a full rock band.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

A Fender Twin is 85 watts.

I know, watts doesn't tell you a lot, But the combination of everything leads me to believe this is unlikely to be much like a twin reverb. And 85 is still a good amount more than 50. ;-) Is there anything close to a 9 pound 50 watt amp with an 8" woofer that really cranks (and hopefully sounds decent, too)? I'm not putting this down, I haven't heard it, but I'd be surprised if it could keep up in a full rock band.

I don't doubt it's not going to be the loudest nor the cleanest, just pushing back on the idea that you need 1,000 watts X 2 nowadays to the heard. Rhodes Suitcase amps ranged from 50 to 100 watts.

I used to run JBL SRX Series (the original passives) and they were hugely inefficient, though they sounded much better than cheaper more efficient brands.

Busch.

CEB's list of real Twins

Original tweed twin 25 watts

1958 and after tweeds 80 watts

Blackfaces 85 watts

Silverfaces 100 watts

1977-82 ultra linear transformers 135 watts

After 1982 - RIP - Also not a fan of the current Reissues. They looks like the real thing on the outside only.

Cyber Twin = Utter Abomination.

Mine is a May 65 Twin I had it rebuilt in 2015 or 2016. She looks a little rough on the outside but it can melt your face off.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Another example of a new product where nobody has actually seen, heard, or used one, yet have already decided its usefulness. I'm not in the market for something like this, but a good-sounding 9 lb amp that can put out a reasonable spl has its uses, if not as a main keyboard amp in a 10-piece horn band.

Another example of a new product where nobody has actually seen, heard, or used one, yet have already decided its usefulness......

Well in my defence (can't speak for others) all I wrote was I'd be surprised if an 8" coaxial could do much outside a bedroom, or very small gig if you like...I didn't think that was either deciding on it or dismissive tbh

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

It doesn't take much experience to realize this will be useless in a full band setting.

Not surprising considering that it was designed by a company that makes amps for GUITAR PLAYERS... "Let's design an amp for keyboard players that has no chance of competing against guitar players"

Yeah, in the sound samples, it seems to work best with the e-pianos, so I was wondering also if it was specifically meant to pair up with Continental sales.

Not a bad amp for the dough, but it doesn't cost much more to buy an E/V 8" active monitor, with IEC plug vs. AC wall wart, and a true XLR mic input with separate gain.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 8 months later...
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the main advantages of the tube are low voltage and low power operation and it runs very cool and with a neat blueish glow. The low voltage and power also lead to some interesting ways to control it. NuTube audio sounds much like a standard dual triode. And yes, you can get nice overdrive.

Welcome to the forum, BurchSung.

It appears your knowledge of this not-yet-released product is very similar to our forum member's b3plyr (posted above earlier today).

In fact your knowledge appears to exactly echo precisely what b3plyr's knowledge is.

Interesting as this product has not yet been released into the market.

This answers the question "what would a guitar amp maker offer a keyboardist?"

Basically, a guitar amp.

LOL conspiracy theories abound....

Rogue guitarists plot to drown out keys (and everyone else) in all band situations by offering specialty gear for other instruments. Have you seen VOX's new line of cymbals made from foam? Bass amps with an LPF permanently set at 75htz. :roll:

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the main advantages of the tube are low voltage and low power operation and it runs very cool and with a neat blueish glow. The low voltage and power also lead to some interesting ways to control it. NuTube audio sounds much like a standard dual triode. And yes, you can get nice overdrive.

BurchSung - please quote when you use someone else's post.

Welcome to the forum, BurchSung.

It appears your knowledge of this not-yet-released product is very similar to our forum member's b3plyr (posted above earlier today).

In fact your knowledge appears to exactly echo precisely what b3plyr's knowledge is.

Interesting as this product has not yet been released into the market.

Thanks Tim. appears he copied but did not quote!

As mentioned in my post of 9/1/17, I was an early user of the NuTube. Feel free to hit me with questions. It is a cool (literally) product, but will it be earth shaking? Who knows.

BTW, sorry for the multiple posts. Should have thought before typing!

I'm more curious how this might work out as a practice amp, as I have trouble getting keyboardists to come to my house for jazz combo rehearsals and jams unless they don't have to carry much (or any) gear with them.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I shoulda been a web designer. Almost.

The first section of the page is a textual description of the features. Second section is a bulleted cut-and-paste of the first paragraph. And for those who need more detail, the third section is a restatement of the first two, with a separate paragraph per feature.

Regarding 50 versus 85 watts, I suspect that the Twin was 85 watts RMS at 1 KHz. I suspect that the Vox, like pretty much everyone nowadays, is talking about 50 watts "music" power, since they would likely tell us if it were 50 W RMS. "Music" power is often double (or more) than the old honest RMS rating.

That last critique is more general than Vox. I see the same thing on most of the powered speaker system specs I look up.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I've had my eye on this because a lightweight 3-channel mixer/personal monitor would be an ideal tool in some situations, even if mono. In those situations just need to be able to hear myself onstage. Not sure this will be loud enough even for that but seems promising. I like how NuTube works in my Vox Continental, would be interesting to apply it to other parts of the rig.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Regarding 50 versus 85 watts, I suspect that the Twin was 85 watts RMS at 1 KHz.

And do we remember what the AC power consumption was for a tube amp delivering 100W RMS ?

My Fender Dual Showman Reverb Amp took 400W !!!

And here,- 50W and an external PSU 19V DC.

That´s piss take IMO.

A.C.