Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2928310 - 05/21/18 10:39 AM Reverend guitars.
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
I have enough money from my graduation gifts for a new guitar, i wanted something outside of the Strat style I have always played, and The Reverend is very appealing to me, and some are in my price range.

GP Island
#2928325 - 05/21/18 11:13 AM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: surfergirl]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
@surfergirl - Dannyalcatraz has several Reverend models, IIRC? He'd be the one to ask in this Forum.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2928326 - 05/21/18 11:16 AM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: surfergirl]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I thought your mom banned you from this board surfergirl. Which model Reverend guitar are you looking at?
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2928339 - 05/21/18 12:02 PM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: desertbluesman]
surfergirl Offline

I haven't zeroed in on a model, I just started looking. The Charger HB looks good and is in my price range. I want humbuckers. I could go used which would expand my search.
I needed to get my grades up this semester, needed a 2.5 gpa to get into UH if I decided to go. Last final was last Tuesday and graduation was Saturday, thats why my mom wanted me to cut down on my social media. Computer was for study only, it worked.

#2928345 - 05/21/18 12:22 PM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: surfergirl]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: surfergirl

I needed to get my grades up this semester, needed a 2.5 gpa to get into UH if I decided to go. Last final was last Tuesday and graduation was Saturday, thats why my mom wanted me to cut down on my social media. Computer was for study only, it worked.

Excellent surfergirl. Take it from an old man (I am 75 years old) get the best education you can get. Your life will be much easier once you settle into the right profession. Go for it.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2928351 - 05/21/18 12:41 PM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: desertbluesman]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I like the Sensei. Its sort of like a Charger with a set neck. But yes Reverend is cool stuff. Joe does good stuff and he listens to players and incorporates good ideas he gets from players.

If I can't find a nice used Les Paul Jr then I'm probably picking up a Sensei Jr.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2928355 - 05/21/18 01:04 PM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: CEB]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
1) Congrats on raising your grades! A good education is a great foundation for future successses, even if you never formerly pursue the academic fields you’re best at. A dear friend of mine had a BA in English, but worked as a contractor. His facility with communication- facilitated in pursuit of his degree- made his professional life run much more smoothly.

2) Yes, I have a bunch of Reverends- 5 when last I did a count- covering @7 years of production. Their quality control is very consistent. They also use pretty much the same neck profile across the entire production line. So if you’ve tried one, you know pretty much how all their necks feel.

Across the models, I think their P90s are among the best stock P90s on the market in the sub-$2000 guitar price category. The RevTron miniHBs have an excellent Gretsch-like tone. The RailHammer pickups- made by Joe Naylor’s spinoff company- are likewise a great deal, especially if you want to use low or drop tunings.

Which ones have caught your eye? Or ear?

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (05/21/18 01:05 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2928363 - 05/21/18 02:05 PM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
CEB Offline
10k Club

She likes the Charger HB. But says she has zeroed in on a model. She wants humbuckers and the Charger HB is in her price range.

Thanks for the opinion on the P90s. I'm in the market for a single P90 guitar. Looking at old Jr.s but damn they are expensive.

Edited by CEB (05/21/18 02:08 PM)

#2928376 - 05/21/18 04:53 PM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: CEB]
surfergirl Offline

Besides the Charger am also looking at the Sensi. I really want humbuckers. I've always played Strats so looking for a something different. I'm in no hurry. We don't have a dealer over here. My father is going to pay for me to come to Long Beach to visit him this summer, so if I decide to get one I will get it then. I had planned on competing in some surfing events in Ca., but I've changed my mind. I have 3 passions, surfing, music, and fashion design. I have decided to go to college and study fashion design and have fun surfing and playing music.

#2928396 - 05/21/18 06:55 PM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: surfergirl]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like the Charger body.

I have a Flatroc limited edition, which has the same body style, and it’s very comfortable. The pickups in the Charger HB are essentially slightly hotter than a classic PAF HB, so its perfectly fine for most uses.

If you’re willing to shop used, a Reeves Gabrels II (same body style) can be had for a good price, and has a Wilkinson tremolo and the hotter RailHammer Chisel pickups.
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=reeves%20gabrels%20ii

The Sensei is a nice take in the LP Doublecut/SG style guitar. I have a purpleburst RA with the RailHammer Chisels in it, tuned to CGDAEG. I haven’t noticed any neck dive-a problem that can often be present in other guitars of that general shape. FWIW, I’d also look at the Yamaha RevStars if you like the Sensei- VERY nice rock & roll machines in a similar price range.

#2928397 - 05/21/18 06:57 PM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: CEB]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CEB
She likes the Charger HB. But says she has zeroed in on a model. She wants humbuckers and the Charger HB is in her price range.

Thanks for the opinion on the P90s. I'm in the market for a single P90 guitar. Looking at old Jr.s but damn they are expensive.

As in a P90 in the bridge and nothing else? Yeah, a Sensei Jr would be right up your alley.
https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/sensei-jr

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (05/21/18 06:59 PM)

#2928418 - 05/21/18 09:37 PM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: surfergirl]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: surfergirl
We don't have a dealer over here. My father is going to pay for me to come to Long Beach to visit him this summer, so if I decide to get one I will get it then.

If you get to Long Beach, check out Alva's Music on 8th St in San Pedro, just west of Long Beach. They're Reverend dealers.

#2928440 - 05/22/18 04:04 AM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
All I can say is:

I've never heard(or read) anything negative about Reverends, they look good,
and
Congrats on the grades! smile
Whitefang

#2929914 - 05/29/18 11:38 AM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: CEB]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CEB

I played around with one of the inexpensive PRS single-cut/single P90 guitars and had to talk myself out of buying it...

#2929935 - 05/29/18 01:00 PM Re: Reverend guitars. [Re: p90jr]
CEB Offline
10k Club

There is a new Indonesian made Hamer Jr. that looks the part aside from the tune-o-matic bridge vs the wrap around style bridge. Unless the right Jr. comes along I may roll the dice on one of those Hamers .....

But just as I think I really want to play a Jr. live I have a gig like Sunday where noise is an issue and I think ..... 'I'm glad I aint playing P-90s' My Number 1 guitar on the Rock gig is a Humbucker in the bridge and a neck p90.

I'll check out the PRS. Thanks

Edited by CEB (05/29/18 01:00 PM)

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose