Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog Grandmother

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to ask... exactly who decided on a case utilizing several chalky versions of 50s Chem-Tone paint? Surely it'd sound better if it was red, maybe with some nice racing-car flames. The signature Ed "Big Daddy" Roth Rat Fink model would probably be a hit with whatever passes for a punk in the synth world now. I'm too old to know or care, sorry! :puff:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I have to ask... exactly who decided on a case utilizing several chalky versions of 50s Chem-Tone paint?

The kids over on Reddit r/synthesizers seem to think it's "fresh." The instrument looks like a lot of fun but the colors remind me too much of the meh period of Moog architecture. With components modeled after classic modules though, there appears to be more to it than just a pretty face.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Maybe Mark Mothersbaugh was the conceptual designer?

I'm not even kidding -- he's probably one of the most famous still-alive advocates and wizards of Moog synths.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Pretty good joke - almost got me.

What joke? Am I that dense?

You're not the only one. I'm lost, too.

Reminds me of a party I went to at the beach once upon a time. At random intervals all the guys would drop to the floor, lie on their backs, and wave their arms and legs in the air, like a dying bug. Everyone though it was hilarious except me and my buddy. I'd gone there in pursuit of a girl I'd met on the beach earlier in the day, but after an hour of being an outsider-looking-in I gave up and left.

For the record the girl thought it was hilarious, too, but was unable or unwilling to explain the joke. Whatever.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

At random intervals all the guys would drop to the floor, lie on their backs, and wave their arms and legs in the air, like a dying bug. Everyone though it was hilarious except me and my buddy. I'd gone there in pursuit of a girl I'd met on the beach earlier in the day, but after an hour of being an outsider-looking-in I gave up and left.

For the record the girl thought it was hilarious, too, but was unable or unwilling to explain the joke. Whatever.

Grey

Ever see Animal House? They are doing the Gator. See the 2:36 mark.

[video:youtube]

Moe

---

Maybe if Moog made a poly simialiar to the 4 voice oberheim with the SEM's...

That's kind of what you got by stacking 3 Slim Phattys off a Little Phatty. Moog didn't make a chassis for them, but you could put them in a compact rack. I had actually thought about dong it. The units are so shallow, you could easily put them in quite a small rack, splitting them between front and rear rail mounting, if you didn't need to see all the panels at once. Two on one side, one on the other, where there other also has space for a shallow line mixer and shallow mountable AC strip.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

At random intervals all the guys would drop to the floor, lie on their backs, and wave their arms and legs in the air, like a dying bug. Everyone though it was hilarious except me and my buddy. I'd gone there in pursuit of a girl I'd met on the beach earlier in the day, but after an hour of being an outsider-looking-in I gave up and left.

Grey

Nah, Animal House was 1978...this was more like '73 or '74. Plus the Animal House thing looks like they're having epileptic seizures, this was a more deliberate sorta walking (except upside down) motion. All I could gather was that it was some sort of thing peculiar to their high school, wherever that was--lost in the mists of time, I'm afraid. Not that anyone at that school still does it...surely not?

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Maybe if Moog made a poly simialiar to the 4 voice oberheim with the SEM's...

That's kind of what you got by stacking 3 Slim Phattys off a Little Phatty. Moog didn't make a chassis for them, but you could put them in a compact rack. I had actually thought about dong it. The units are so shallow, you could easily put them in quite a small rack, splitting them between front and rear rail mounting, if you didn't need to see all the panels at once. Two on one side, one on the other, where there other also has space for a shallow line mixer and shallow mountable AC strip.

Dude, you keep talking like that, people are going to start calling you "AnotherGrey" instead of AnotherScott...

My interest in polychaining was met with almost as much derision as my deep oscillator concept.

Grey

Grey

Nah, Animal House was 1978...this was more like '73 or '74. Plus the Animal House thing looks like they're having epileptic seizures, this was a more deliberate sorta walking (except upside down) motion. All I could gather was that it was some sort of thing peculiar to their high school, wherever that was--lost in the mists of time, I'm afraid. Not that anyone at that school still does it...surely not?

Grey

Yeah, the film was done in 78, but they were depicting the 60's. The Gator and other novelty dances were around before you saw it.

Some background:

https://sites.google.com/site/gatorpile/

Moe

---

I'd rather just get a Dreadbox Abyss for 4-voice poly analog, or a DSI Prophet 6 module for the 6-voice than a stack of Slim Phatty's but hey if you have the money, room, and determination...

Back to topic... I was going to post a pic that an early customer posted upon reception of his Moog Grandma, but it's too big. The Moog jacket will be embroidered to order. Seems happy with the sound of the Grandma.

As long as people still keep buying Mini Clones they wont go away.

This one looks cool, most likely sell the initial 1,000 built.

Guitar Center has "Sold Out" posted on the front page of it's website and Musician's Friend just says "Call us".

:nopity:

Yeah I checked on Guitar Center yesterday, only to learn that they're sold out. They do have other Moog products on sale though, as part of their up-to-20% off Moogfest promo.

I don't consider this a Minimoog clone at all, btw. Yeah, they used the Minimoog oscillator design, but the rest of the synth is taken from the 900-series Moog modular line; and early reports say it sounds "angrier" than a Model D.

One envelope generator is a non-starter for me. It's just below what I consider the bare minimum complement for a synthesizer voice.

Dude,

Watch it. I've developed a bad reputation around these parts talking that way. Okay, I was talking oscillators, not envelopes, but still...be careful. That way madness lies.

Grey

I'm all for artistic experimentation and whatever, but I thought that we already made all of those sounds when we were figuring out how to make music with these things. Based on the sounds in the videos in this thread, I cannot figure out why Moog bothered to give Grandmother a keyboard. :idk

One envelope generator is a non-starter for me. It's just below what I consider the bare minimum complement for a synthesizer voice.

Moog wants you to buy another device to supply a 2nd envelope. Like, maybe, a Mother 32.

Just like they left the DFAM limited in various ways - to encourage DFAM owners to buy something else to CV patch it with, like, a M32 or perhaps the Grandmother.

Honestly though if I had your modular rig, I wouldn't even be looking at any of these Moogs - why would I if I had that modular?

Honestly though if I had your modular rig, I wouldn't even be looking at any of these Moogs - why would I if I had that modular?

Pssst. I sold off the modular rig to fund building my organ controller a few years ago. Am currently analog synthless.

Moe

---

I went through the user manual last night. It's actually a very well endowed budget synth. The patch points are comprehensive and definitely cover the bases. As someone pointed out having other semi-modular/modular gear along with this (doesn't have to be Moog) "plugs" any deficiencies. Only thing I'd be missing is after touch.

If you're looking for that one do it all synth to gig with on top of your rompler/clone type keyboard then there's probably better choices. Otherwise if the sound is there (and I'm betting it is) I think this is a pretty cool little synth.

This would have been my gateway into the Eurorack modular world. Those who bought it without previous modular experience will eventually find themselves buying external envelope, LFO, etc. modules to cross patch with their new Moog, thus slipping ever deeper into the modular money pit.

I dodged a bullet there ;)

This would have been my gateway into the Eurorack modular world. Those who bought it without previous modular experience will eventually find themselves buying external envelope, LFO, etc. modules to cross patch with their new Moog, thus slipping ever deeper into the modular money pit.

I dodged a bullet there ;)

Or you eventually buy a small format semi-modular with those desired additional parameters - and more. Something like a SEM would do it giving you the Oberheim flavor as well. Maybe a better option for some than a more comprehensive all Moog synth.

Fair enough, Mark. You do have a sweet little setup around that SEM. I was drawn in by the "starter package" concept - sequencer/arp, over 40 patch points, color coded "modules", keyboard, spring reverb, etc.

Some Grandmother demos by an early adopter:

https://soundcloud.com/artfluids/sets/moog-grandmother-demos

Maybe this is a "hack", but you could do something like switch the synth to "drone" (so the main envelope is totally out of the picture, unless you mult it and repatch in to the VCA CV input or something), use the keyboard gate out to "kick"/reset the LFO, then use the LFO as another "envelope". If you use the second envelope setting, you can do that and still get the release off of the envelope generator. Run the LFO through the attenuator to make your "envelope" go positive or negative too.

In a similar vein, you could use the arpeggiator to essentially turn the envelope generator into another LFO (tempo-synced, even) If you want more than one of those.

It would be nice to have a fully-controllable second envelope, but I think there are probably other ways to eek out envelopes that I'm not considering, so you could perhaps get two or three (or more) that may be envelope-y enough for your purposes.

My music http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Pk12

My Soundware (Kurzweil PC3)http://pksoundware.blogspot.com/

My Kurzweil PC3 Tutorials http://www.youtube.com/user/poserp.