Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo 61 Review - (LONG)

Agree... but H/Suzuki is SUPER PREMIUM! Is a multi contact keybed with an inferior sound engine and Leslie sim worth it?

OTOH, the XK1C and SK series are priced pretty competitively. The XK5 is about as pricey compared to those as it is compared to a Mojo, they're going after a different customer wth that one, with all the wood, 4 sets of drawbars, tube, faithful controls and preset keys...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Agree... but H/Suzuki is SUPER PREMIUM! Is a multi contact keybed with an inferior sound engine and Leslie sim worth it?

OTOH, the XK1C and SK series are priced pretty competitively. The XK5 is about as pricey compared to those as it is compared to a Mojo, they're going after a different customer wth that one, with all the wood, 4 sets of drawbars, tube, faithful controls and preset keys...

...and inferior sound engine

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

What HammondDave sez!

H/S would seem lately to be an inverse object lesson in features to price ratio!

At least Nord has an Apple-like attention to detail that halfway justifies thier super premium pricing....

Since you compared Nord to Apple... My brief experience with Nord is that the user interface is incredibly complex and only becomes smoothly usable after one has spent a lot of time and energy learning its vastness and many idiosyncrasies. I've watched people who are pretty serious about them use the instrument and even there it is pretty clear they're working to drive the thing. This is not at all what Apple strives for...

I worked for many years on Photoshop at Adobe. It became more and more clear that the incentives were aligned with building a complex thing, not an easy to use thing. The people who'd been using it for a long time considered it a badge of honor, or perhaps a significantly marketable skill, to have figured out how to use the app. (And they hated it when *anything* changed.) Shorter time folks generally blamed themselves for the hassle, no matter how much it was the app's fault. The end result is a UI that is an unruly midden of UI controls. Yet still, it completely owns the high end of the photo editing space. Nord feels about the same to me. Ain't going nowhere and tons of folks love it, but damn it's gotta be possible to do better.

Re: Crumar, one of their features is a web UI over WiFi, which is a strong way to break out of the difficulties of mapping an ever increasing set of functionality onto the physical surface of an instrument.

-Z-

Nord is the most simple keyboard to edit and use than any keyboard that I have owned.

But in a live situation what you gonna do break out your I-phone and edit the Mojo really. Nord is right in your face very simple. I like the Mojo for the vintage sounds.

Nord is the most simple keyboard to edit and use than any keyboard that I have owned.

I believe the unit I was dealing with was the latest Nord Piano. It was the only one of a bunch of keyboards I tried that I couldn't figure out on my own. I asked someone who plays them regularly to help and it took them many minutes to find some stuff as well. (This was in a store and it had a bunch of text seemingly silkscreened on the top of the unit providing basic docs and some URLs for manuals. It struck me as really weird to do that, but maybe it wasn't as permanent as it looked.)

Then again, I'm not too surprised a lot of people love them. As I've observed with products I actually work on, people who have already figured out how to use something are not usually concerned with the initial user experience anymore. And in any professional discipline, ease of use is rarely the top priority for a tool.

But in a live situation what you gonna do break out your I-phone and edit the Mojo really. Nord is right in your face very simple. I like the Mojo for the vintage sounds.

The idea is one can optimize the physical control surface for what is needed playing and not worry too much about the complex stuff that is done rarely or only before a gig. It is probably a good idea to provide some way to do most things without a computer, but one doesn't have to worry about making it intuitive. E.g. compare loading sound samples by copying them to a USB stick and holding down some special buttons while turning on the device vs. clicking a properly labeled button in a web UI and selecting the sound files on the computer they've just been downloaded to. (Many devices do this by plugging a computer in via USB and providing a desktop app that has a bespoke UI. I find this approach doesn't work as well as web+WiFi.)

Another advantage of WiFi UI/control is someone other than the player can drive settings in some use cases. Of course used improperly, this is likely a worst nightmare scenario too.

-Z-

Uh, why would I want to deep edit effect parameters on a gig??? That is done at home not

on a gig . I have the drawbars, the various Chorus and Vibratos, the various Percussion, and fast slow rotary , over drive, click , Reverb , EQ , all available at a knob or button. I get a head ache looking at the Electros bizarre control panel. The Mojo 61 mimics the real thing not some space station! And the Mojo 61 editor is extremely user friendly on my iPhone. I would no problem using it on a gig... but I cant see why I would need to.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I often adjust the Gemini module on a gig (in between sets); example would be the new piano that came out last month. As I got into the gig I noticed I needed to make some adjustments so in between the sets I made them. No big deal but I would like to alternatively have an editor like the Mojo has that I could plug in and make adjustments that way. It would be a nice alternative.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I have the drawbars, the various Chorus and Vibratos, the various Percussion, and fast slow rotary , over drive, click , Reverb , EQ , all available at a knob or button.

Thats nice, but the problems start when using the Mojo61 on top of a controller using both upper and lower manuals. Switching between upper and lower Hold buttons to select drawbars is a constant mess, in dark situations I more than once have hitten the V/C button instead of upper Hold. Lets hope the next gen Mojo 61 comes with two sets of drawbars. For a dual manuals operation that should be mandatory regulated by italian laws.

What HammondDave sez!

H/S would seem lately to be an inverse object lesson in features to price ratio!

At least Nord has an Apple-like attention to detail that halfway justifies thier super premium pricing....

Since you compared Nord to Apple... My brief experience with Nord is that the user interface is incredibly complex and only becomes smoothly usable after one has spent a lot of time and energy learning its vastness and many idiosyncrasies. I've watched people who are pretty serious about them use the instrument and even there it is pretty clear they're working to drive the thing. This is not at all what Apple strives for...

Re: Crumar, one of their features is a web UI over WiFi, which is a strong way to break out of the difficulties of mapping an ever increasing set of functionality onto the physical surface of an instrument.

-Z-

In YOUR opinion/experience with one board.......

Ive played, toured and recorded with Electros since the first up through the 5. Nord Leads up the 3, the first tow iterations of the Stage on backlined gigs, so Ive seen the evoultion of these boards and used them in many mission critical situations.

While it IS true that they started out super simple and bcame more feature laden as time passed, they are hardly as complex as you suggest.

I do not mean to invalidate or minimize YOUR experience, but there are many of us thatd beg to differ.

Great observation about Crumar, btw!:)

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I hope impressionable readers don't take this to mean that the mojo61 is superior to the XK5. When Herbie shows up to a gig, he prefers using his Fazioli to the steinway concert D, or yamaha CFX provided by the house. That doesn't mean a steinway D or a CFX are inferior pianos. Player's have specific needs that certain instruments help address more than others. I know Mitch knows this, but I always feel compelled to write these responses whenever these kinds of comparative posts are made. I used to be really impressionable about what people would post regarding gear, and even went so far as to buy/sell gear based on what people on this forum posted...Use the gear that works best for your needs, not what works best for others.

The Fazioli/Steinway/Yamaha comparison is hardly analogous to Mojo/XK-5.

Even if youre equating the XK to a Steinway or CFX and a Mojo to a Fazioli.

Steinways and CFXs are not overpriced in comparison to their real world features nor are they overhyped.

Folks like Mitch have thousands of man-hours on these boards most especially in real world mission critical situations. That experience allows for comparisons and judgments that supersede taste and cross over into effective observation.

Mitch is also sponsored by Crumar...

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Mitch is sponsored but I don't like the talk in this thread calling him out as a shill. The Mojo is a better emulation than what Hammond has put out so far. His statement was blunt and left me wanting to know "why" but if you read his reviews and what he has written in other threads here about the Legend, the Mojo and Hammond, it's clear that he is not simply a shill.

Mitch is a great player and comes across as a real person with legitimate opinions. He does not come across as a mouthpiece for Crumar.

Obviously there is a bias and conflict of interest there but the reality of the XK5 being ridiculously expensive with a sub par simulation is a fact. The Legend and Mojo house the XK5 for much cheaper.

Re Mojo61:

I don't edit it at the Gig either. But, if people think that editing MOJO via smart phone wouldn't be feasible at a gig, you would also have to conclude that editing via smart phone wouldn't be feasible for several digital mixers that offer individual players the opportunity to edit their monitor mix that way. Learning curve for a new approach for sure.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

I like the smart phone editing idea. I always wondered why other manufacturers dont also employ current technology to make their products better.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I just wish that Cabinet On (Leslie Sim) would not default to "ON" at power up. Instead, I'd prefer that it would default to status at power down. This change would please people using external sims or real Leslies. This change would have no impact on people always using the internal sim.

Please, Guido?

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

I just wish that Cabinet On (Leslie Sim) would not default to "ON" at power up. Instead, I'd prefer that it would default to status at power down. This change would please people using external sims or real Leslies. This change would have no impact on people always using the internal sim.

Please, Guido?

Extend that to ALL the settings. I wish the state of everything was recalled at turn-on. Seems Percussion always is ON when I turn the Mojo61 on, which seems odd to me. Every user will be different (I always keep cabinet ON, so never noticed that), so just keeping everything as it was would seem ideal.

I like the smart phone editing idea. I always wondered why other manufacturers dont also employ current technology to make their products better.

For anything that is best done from a computer rather than the instrument's front panel, I 100% support a web interface approach. I absolutely hate it when a product requires a specific program/app to do an update or access options. A program/app may not work on all platforms (Windows/OSX,iOS, Android, Linux, etc), often 'break' when the OS is updated, etc. A properly designed web interface can be expected to work with any good browser, just about forever. I was happy to see that Crumar employed a web interface for this (I normally run Linux on my computers).

My brief experience with Nord is that the user interface is incredibly complex and only becomes smoothly usable after one has spent a lot of time and energy learning its vastness and many idiosyncrasies.

Nah. ;-)

The main thing to know that may not be immediately obvious when first trying to use one is that some of the controls have two labels... it performs the second function when you hold the Shift button. (They should have color coded that to make it more obvious... like have the Shift button be yellow, and have all the functions it controls also be printed in yellow.) This is a bigger factor on some models than on others.

The other thing that I think is not so obvious is on the Nord Stage series (and some of the dedicated synths), where you can layer multiple setups, and you need to understand switching between those layers (i.e. "slots" or "panels") so that the knobs control the sound you're trying to control. But that doesn't apply to the other boards (Electros, Pianos, Organs).

I guess managng Splits (i.e. assigning sounds to only a certain range of keys) may not be immediately obvious, though I think that's true on most boards. It's not bad though, and once you see how to do it, you can do it more quickly than you can on most boards.

You do have to understand the basic concept, though, that you address sounds through categories... i.e. on boards with multiple "engines," you address the Organ sounds through the Organ section, Piano/Ep/Clav sounds through the Piano section, that kind of thing. It is not the most common approach, but it is not complicated. Other boards that work this way are Roland VR-09 and Vox Continental. Again, not complicated, but possibly different from what you're used to.

I'd be curious to know what you were trying to do that wasn't apparent.

I agree with you about Photoshop, though. It is a UI abomination.

Uh, why would I want to deep edit effect parameters on a gig??? That is done at home not on a gig.

That's the thing. Most boards operate on the assumpton that, for anything beyond the most basic operatons, you're going to do prep at home before the gig. One of the strengths of the Nord is its appeal to people who have no desire to do that (or who play gigs not geared toward that). You can decide, on the fly, that you want to put a particular effect on your EP. That's a strength of the Nord. You just go right to the dedicated knobs and buttons. No need for advance setup, or menu diving, or a web editor. (And even if you want to do this kind of setup in advance of the gig, these same knobs make the advance setup faster as well.)

I have the drawbars, the various Chorus and Vibratos, the various Percussion, and fast slow rotary , over drive, click , Reverb , EQ , all available at a knob or button. I get a head ache looking at the Electros bizarre control panel.

The Electro 4 is closest to the Mojo61, image below. (Newer Electros split and layer, which unsurprisingly leads to a more complicated control panel.) While you might not like the less traditonal aesthetics, I'd be curious if there is something you find operationally unclear here, compared to the Mojo61. Sure, it has more controls (and there are more sounds available so some additional controls for those as well), but is there anything you do on the Mojo61 that you cannot do as easily here? And while there may be more controls than you personally need for live performance, the function/operations of these controls is generally pretty clear, no? And for a reverse experiment, let's say you want a Clav sound. Looking at this front panel vs the Mojo61, how long would it take to find the button that calls up the Clav? What if you want to change the pickup or EQ settings in real time (as you can do on a real Clav)? You can do it on the Electro, can you do it on the Mojo?

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/default/files/files/partner/marketing/product-images/nord-electro-4/NE4D%20-%20panel.jpg

None of this is meant as a knock on the Mojo61, which is great at what it does, and is just what some people need out of their organ board... I just don't see the Nord approach as overly complicated either. The funny thing is, people kept saying they wished Nord would add split/layer, then they did in the 5, and now some people complain that they miss the earlier simplicity! I think some of the changes in the 6 are designed to address that, but maybe that should be a cautionary tale to all those wishing for a bimbral Mojo61. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Mitch is also sponsored by Crumar...

Logical fallacy.

Besides, Mitch, is NOT sponsored by Crumar, he is a Crumar endorsee. BIG difference.

Your statement would infer you dont understand the mechanics and function of an endorsee. He or she doesnt generally get product for FREE, but at cost (sometimes) or a minimal percentage above it.

SOMETIMES a company requires you give up other endorsee relationships if you sign on with them, but not always.

Any good endorsee knows how to walk a fine line with advocating for the products of the company in question while remaining diplomatic about other competitors.

From knowing Mitch as I do, he is, indeed, being diplomatic in regards to H/S.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Photoshop! :mad::deadhorse:

I've been using Adobe design software forever, and a CC subscriber... but I still use Photoshop CS3.

Totally agree with the posts defending both the Mojo Editor and Nord interfaces.

Oh, and I respect Mitch.

So there ya go.

Here for the gear.

I respect Mitch too. I'm just saying that if you are an endorsee or sponsored by a product you aren't going to say anything against it. I read his original review of the product when he posted it. Its the same situation with Jim A, he's not going to be negative towards H/S.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

HI, Guys! Crumar Shill here. :laugh:

I actually don't blame anyone taking what I have to say (or any other endorsing artist) with a grain of salt. It is hard to know what someone really thinks in the the context of their association with the company in question.

The bottom line for me is this: any companies I have an endorsing relationship with are companies whose products I actually use for a reason. They are, in my opinion, the best products on the market for what I do.

Hammond has much more brand recognition than Crumar. The average person has more likely heard of Hammond over Crumar. Does saying you're a "Hammond Artist" carry more weight with the average person? Yes. Would I want to be a "Hammond Artist?" No. Why? Because it would mean I would have to play their stuff...and I just don't like it.

Someone asked for specifics on why I chose to schlep my own gear on to the stage the other night instead of playing the backline XK5 and Goff Leslie. Mostly, it was because of the feel and playing experience of the XK5. When I sit down at a real Hammond console, I have certain physical expectations, no matter the age and condition of the organ. Even 70s organs (which I do not like) generally play the way you expect. As everyone likes to say, all Hammonds feel and sound different. While this is true, there is a certain range of playability that most organs fit in. There are, of course, a few outliers, (and the 70s organs always feel different), but generally, there is a certain "Hammond" feel.

When you sit down to play a clone, you know it isn't going to feel exactly right. You play a few lines or chords and your brain adjusts. "Ok...its a little stiff. Gotta dig in a little more." That kind of thing. I have found it easy to adjust to the feel of most clones (Mojo (obviously), Nord, Legend, Numa, etc). I find I just can't adjust to how the XK5 feels. It just feels so strange to me. It doesn't, in my experience, play anything like a real console. It is bizarre. This wasn't my first experience with the XK5. I visited Tom Shea and he has just about every current clone, so I got to play the XK5 side by side with the Legend, Mojo and C2D. Even though I think the action of the Legend is too stiff, I still preferred it to the XK5.

So, at the festival, I spent a little time on the XK5 and realized that the gig was going to be much more fun and I was going to sound and play better on the Mojo. If the backline would have been a Legend or a C2D, I probably would have just gone with those for convenience. But I just couldn't connect with the XK5.

Regarding what Jim Kost said about some companies wanting their artists to forsake all others, Crumar isn't like that at all. Guido knows I like to try EVERYTHING that comes out. He knew I bought a Legend. (Knowing Guido, he probably thought, "Let him try the others. He will come back home." :laugh: ) So, I have played everything that has come out since the Mojo was released 6-7 years ago. (The only one I haven't played is the MAG, but I have owned the HX3 module twice, so I am very familiar with how it sounds.) And, after all that time, I am still flying the Crumar flag, because, overall, it gets me closest to the real sound and playing experience.

Regarding the layout of the Mojo61 and the WiFi editing vs on-board editing like the Nord...I don't have any inside info about this, but I would guess that a big factor in the decision process at Crumar is R&D. I bet it is much easier to implement a WiFi editor than to build the functions into the board. Additionally, it would be easier to put out edits to the software that way...something that Crumar does on the regular. Also, it gives Crumar the ability to come in at an extremely attractive price point.

So, anyway, that is my extended two cents.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Thanks Mitch for that explanation.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

You do have to understand the basic concept, though, that you address sounds through categories... i.e. on boards with multiple "engines," you address the Organ sounds through the Organ section, Piano/Ep/Clav sounds through the Piano section, that kind of thing. It is not the most common approach, but it is not complicated. Other boards that work this way are Roland VR-09 and Vox Continental. Again, not complicated, but possibly different from what you're used to.

This was likely the main issue. I wanted to run through all the Rhodes sounds and could not figure out how to get them. It took a a minute or three for someone who'd previously used Nord instruments, but not this exact board, to get to the first one at all. It was clear there was a modality that needed to be switched, but how to do it was not obvious. It was clear from the text that Nord put on top of the unit that initial new user experience is an issue for them.

Most multifunction keyboards have such a modality, but spread it out over a set of dedicated buttons in a very easy to read fashion. I ended up with an RD2000, which allows editing pretty much everything on the fly but so far hasn't forced me to read the manual to get something done. (As in N months later, it's still on my TODO list to actually read the manual. It ain't so much that I think it's easy to use as I haven't been completely stymied in figuring something out.)

The main reason I posted was the comparison to Apple. They're changing a bit as they become more and more successful, but they've always tended to put a lot of emphasis on initial user experience and ease of figuring stuff out even when it comes at the cost of reduced features or possibly capability. Strikes me as fairly different from what Nord is doing.

I think part of the differing perspectives may come from what it is you want to do. If you want a button for piano, a button for electric piano, a button for organ, a button for clav, a button for strngs, a button for brass... many Yamahas are easier than any Nord. And that's all some people need. But as soon as you want to do anything more than hit a button to call up a sound, like manipulate effects or splits, or add EQ or compression, or alter the envelope or the velocity response, etc.... then the Nord bcomes easier.

I haven't read this entire thread, so I don't know if there's already been a discussion of the Mojo 61 as midi controller. Here's what I found through a brief experiment. Please understand that I am barely more than a midiot.

I connected the lower manual of the Mojo 61, then ran midi from the Mojo out to the in of my Korg Vox Continental. I changed the Vox receiving channel to "2". With this setting, the Vox received note and velocity data from the Mojo from both the lower part (in split mode) and from the lower manual (in either split mode or Ext mode -- it didn't seem to make a difference which was used).

So I could play the Mojo organ sound on the upper manual and a Vox ep on the lower manual. The Vox EP responded fairly well to velocity data -- not quite as responsive feeling as from its own keyboard, but certainly well enough that I wouldn't mind playing it that way on a gig.

The Vox was also receiving volume data from the Mojo swell pedal. There is no way I can see on the Vox to filter that, nor can I see a way on the Mojo not to send it. So that's kind of a problem if the receiving unit cannot filter. Also, the Vox was not receiving sustain data.

This is all for the purpose of deciding whether there's a sound module that could work with the Mojo. I looked briefly at the manual for the Dexibell S7. Assuming the SX7 is the same (it probably is), you can filter volume or expression data, and the SX7 specifications say it has an input for both sustain and expression.

Would I pay $1300 to be able to play the SX7 sounds from the Mojo? I dunno, that's a steep price, especially considering that, outside of its APs, the Dexi is not spectacular.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

With the lower manual connected I was able to play Mojo pianos on the upper manual and Vox sounds on the lower manual. The sustain pedal connected to the Mojo did not work to sustain notes on the Vox. The expression pedal did not affect the Mojo pianos, but it did change volume on the Vox sounds triggered from the lower manual.

This was, btw, a good opportunity to compare rhodes, wurly, and clav sounds between the Mojo and the Vox played from the same keyboard. I think the Vox does an excellent job on all of these. Until I'd played the Mojo, I thought the Vox was the best electromechanical emulation I've heard, possibly even better than the Kronos (though I never did a side by side between those two). But the Mojo is better IMO. More responsive, more character.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

This was, btw, a good opportunity to compare rhodes, wurly, and clav sounds between the Mojo and the Vox played from the same keyboard. I think the Vox does an excellent job on all of these. Until I'd played the Mojo, I thought the Vox was the best electromechanical emulation I've heard, possibly even better than the Kronos (though I never did a side by side between those two). But the Mojo is better IMO. More responsive, more character.

Interesting. And do you have a feeling of how they compare (on Rhodes/Wurly/Clav) when Mojo and Vox are each played from its own action? Also, have you ever played the SV1 for comparison?