Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2927141 - 05/15/18 09:24 AM Spouse Music Appreciation Thread
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
My wife has very good taste in music, way more eclectic than mine. While I'm not into a lot of the indie music she likes I still love the fact that's she listens to and digs all kinds of really cool music. She sent me this link the other day - one of my favorites:

Fortunately you don't need to be on Facebook to listen to it.

KC Island
#2927151 - 05/15/18 10:01 AM Re: Spouse Music Appreciation Thread [Re: Markyboard]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Nice!

Please say hi and Thank you to Sue!:)

#2927153 - 05/15/18 10:07 AM Re: Spouse Music Appreciation Thread [Re: Markyboard]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil
Cool... Listened to it from work, will do again from home.

My wife has excellent taste, but little knowledge of song names, bands and the names of the different styles. I usually do playlists for her either from my library or Spotify. Her tastes are much less eclectic than mine (she dislikes 'guitar-centric' rock, for instance, and jazz fusion), but I know where the common ground is and choose playlist from home and car trips accordingly.

#2927315 - 05/16/18 08:24 AM Re: Spouse Music Appreciation Thread [Re: Rod S]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
I'm lucky my wife goes with me to the jazz concerts we do. She doesn't dig the more esoteric stuff as much as I do (I don't always either, it just depends), but she accompanies me willingly and really enjoys some of the stuff.

On her own, I think she tends to stick with her old favorites, Chris Isaak, Duran Duran, and INXS. I've accompanied her to concerts for each. thu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2927330 - 05/16/18 09:12 AM Re: Spouse Music Appreciation Thread [Re: Joe Muscara]
synthizen2 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
My wife is only 1 of 2 women I've ever met on Planet Earth who said she loves King Crimson.

I married her. smile

I'm not Mormon, so marrying them BOTH was out.

#2927333 - 05/16/18 09:29 AM Re: Spouse Music Appreciation Thread [Re: synthizen2]
Bobadecay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
My wife is crazy musical isn't though she doesn't play an instrument. She was responsible for helping me climb out of the straight ahead jazz hole I'd dug myself into in my mid 20s by taking me to concerts like Radiohead, Sigur Ros, and listening to Daft Punk. She'll walk into the room when I'm working and say something like 'that kick drum seems too loud' or she'll play a song that reminded her of another song and it turns out they do share some crazy similar riff in the same key and I had never noticed.

Even though I am the pro, my wife enriches my musical life.

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

#2927335 - 05/16/18 09:48 AM Re: Spouse Music Appreciation Thread [Re: Bobadecay]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
My wife is a busy school teacher with middle of the road , easy listening preference.

She has an excellent ear. She is patient enough to listen to my original instrumentals mostly Kronos

Her advice on parts, transitions, mix is near perfect. Her family is cool, they keep up on my new originals.

Since our taste differ, the 2 schools of preference makes my creative output stronger. Very lucky guy here.

#2927387 - 05/16/18 03:59 PM Re: Spouse Music Appreciation Thread [Re: GregC]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
My lovely wife is one of those rare female creatures who's not that much into music at all. She likes to listen to certain pop songs on the radio and such, but she's not INTO it. I've known her since we were both 20 and she was never one to carve out time to check out a new album, get excited about a band's new song, or make an effort to go see a touring act.

For her, music is just "there". She does like to watch shows like American Idol but that's as much for the drama as the music.

But...she is incredibly supportive and encouraging of my musical endeavours, which can sometimes take me away from home for big licks of time.

She's great!

#2927404 - 05/16/18 05:51 PM Re: Spouse Music Appreciation Thread [Re: CowboyNQ]
Bosendorphen Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Maryland, USA
My wife has been totally supportive of my composing/soundtrack career and my band and even helped land us some great gigs.

We met online in 2002 but discovered we already had met in high school in 1973! Her handle on the dating site was "And You And I" so I knew she was a Yes fan like me and sure enough!!

Soundcloud
Aethellis

#2927419 - 05/16/18 08:59 PM Re: Spouse Music Appreciation Thread [Re: Bosendorphen]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My girl is also a full-time musician, though we come from completely different musical backgrounds; I'm a jazz and R&B guy, and she's a prog nerd who plays the Irish bouzouki and a bit of bass. We had each been at our respective careers for over 20 years before we got together, so we both know the deal and are supportive of each other. What would be the living room in a normal couple's house is our music room, full of keyboards and strange string instruments (many of which I still can't even identify), and one of the bedrooms serves as our living room. We both have various musical projects as well as our own solo gigs, but every few months we'll do a tour together. That's where our different backgrounds come in handy; in any given town if we can find an Irish gig for her OR a piano gig for me OR a gig for the two of us doing the weird musical mix we've put together, we're good. In the year and a half we've been together we've put out an EP, toured three continents, and just started work on a full-length album. So yeah, I really have no complaints.

#2927442 - 05/17/18 04:40 AM Re: Spouse Music Appreciation Thread [Re: CowboyNQ]
kbrkr Offline

Originally Posted By: CowboyNQ
My lovely wife is one of those rare female creatures who's not that much into music at all. She likes to listen to certain pop songs on the radio and such, but she's not INTO it. I've known her since we were both 20 and she was never one to carve out time to check out a new album, get excited about a band's new song, or make an effort to go see a touring act.

For her, music is just "there". She does like to watch shows like American Idol but that's as much for the drama as the music.

But...she is incredibly supportive and encouraging of my musical endeavours, which can sometimes take me away from home for big licks of time.

She's great!

+this

Been married for 40 years. My wife complains; "Why is there so much noise in the house" as a response to my practicing and listening to music.

In my 20's, she used to come to every gig. I'm pretty sure it was to police the groupies and fend off any flirting. She hasn't been to one of my gigs in like 10 years, so i'm pretty sure shes hoping someone will take me away - lol.

It's actually quite sad, really, that I cannot share music with my partner. There is always a feeling of hollowness and I envy the folks above who have partners who are joined in this musical journey and exploration.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner