Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2927262 - 05/16/18 02:03 AM [OT, or not ?] latest Finale ?
mauriziodececco Offline

Loc: France
[Well, since as discussed in other thread the keyboard player is often the band musical director, may be this is not OT].

What is your experience with the latest Finale (25) ?

I currently use an already old version of Sibelius (7 ?). I had Finale 2008, and i made the switch to Sibelius because i found Finale complex and counter-intuitive; fine if you use it every day, but if you peek it up every two month to write new Lead Sheet and similar stuff, you have to revise fundamentals again. While Sibelius is intuitive enough to make simple stuff simple to do.

Updates to the new version are especially cheap, so it is worth to pose the question: make it sense to re-evaluate Finale for this kind of work ? (Lead Sheet, and very occasionally more complex stuff).

Maurizio

KC Island
#2927265 - 05/16/18 02:52 AM Re: [OT, or not ?] latest Finale ? [Re: mauriziodececco]
marczellm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Budapest, Hungary
I used a trial version of Finale 25 on Windows and was disappointed that it still couldn't handle simple stuff such as SCROLLING without the entire score flickering like mad. The fonts in the menu look jaggedy like it's 1999. It comes off to me as legacy software, badly needing some rewrites. Maybe it's better on Mac, I don't know.

I use MuseScore which is totally free, and since version 2 came out in March 2015, I consider it a mature piece of software, user friendly and feature complete. Sure it doesn't have advanced features that speed up the work of professional film score composers/arrangers, such as a video window and smart orchestration helper plugins, but it's entirely sufficient for simple/moderately complex use cases you describe. I wrote chamber arrangements for our church band, jazz combo arrangements etc. in it.

Check out https://musescore.org, there's a nice section showcasing features for various use cases.

I am not affiliated with MuseScore, just a happy user. I got some people to switch from Finale smile although many of my pro musician friends are sworn Sibelius fans.
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G

#2927412 - 05/16/18 07:26 PM Re: [OT, or not ?] latest Finale ? [Re: marczellm]
Tom Williams Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Virginia
Originally Posted By: marczellm
I used a trial version of Finale 25 on Windows and was disappointed that it still couldn't handle simple stuff such as SCROLLING without the entire score flickering like mad. The fonts in the menu look jaggedy like it's 1999.

Huh. I'm currently using semi-old Finale 2012, not because I dislike the newer stuff but because 2012 is sufficient^2 for my modest needs. I almost went for this past year's Cheap Upgrade; I may go for the next one, just to keep from being too far behind when I have problems or questions.

The reason for the "huh" is that I have never experienced jaggy menus or bad scrolling on my Windows PCs.
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2927437 - 05/17/18 12:23 AM Re: [OT, or not ?] latest Finale ? [Re: Tom Williams]
moj Offline
Platinum Member

rec for MuseScore. Added bonus is the piano soundfont, for playback, is very good.

#2927524 - 05/17/18 11:13 AM Re: [OT, or not ?] latest Finale ? [Re: moj]
MalH Offline

Loc: Switzerland
I use Finale 25 for big band arrangements. It has became much more intuitive over the years and I don't get the flickering problem mentioned above (but using a Mac). One thing I have found most beneficial of the later versions is the vastly improved "human" playback and the ability to interpret articulations and dynamics. With Sample Modelling instruments it sounds much better on my computer than it does live!

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner