Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2927226 - 05/15/18 07:11 PM The reason I really, really, really like Youtube.
RABid Offline
10k Club

Every now and then you find a gem like this. (Warning, Three Dog Night fans only.)

KC Island
#2927239 - 05/15/18 08:53 PM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: RABid]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Worth sharing, so thanks. YouTube is a gift, to be sure.

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2927283 - 05/16/18 05:17 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: cphollis]
BbAltered Offline
Gold Member

We truly live in a golden-age for musicians.

We have pianos we can carry under one arm, virtual synthesizers with thousands of modulation options, and YouTube, which brings us instructional material, pretty much any song you want to know, and performances by just about everyone who ever played an instrument since the invention of film.

Whenever the Soul Band wants to learn a new song, we all discuss which specific YouTube video to learn from. We just had this discussion at last night's rehearsal.
Charlie Parker Omnibook
Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life
Weather Report Mr. Gone

#2927284 - 05/16/18 05:27 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: BbAltered]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
I love YouTube because whenever I need to do a handyman job, like fix a toilet, I can find an instructional video for dummies like me that walk me through the entire process.... And yeah, it's pretty good for music stuff too. laugh

#2927290 - 05/16/18 06:27 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: mcgoo]
lightbg Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Rockaway,NJ,UNITED STATES
Yes, You Tube has enabled me to reach my core audience, which now numbers in the high teens................. facepalm

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

#2927344 - 05/16/18 10:48 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: lightbg]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Originally Posted By: lightbg
Yes, You Tube has enabled me to reach my core audience, which now numbers in the high teens................. facepalm

Don't sell yourself short. Getting 18-19 year olds to listen to your music is a big accomplishment.

#2927349 - 05/16/18 10:57 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: RABid]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I don't think that's what he meant. laugh

#2927355 - 05/16/18 11:31 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: DulceLabs.com]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: DulceLabs.com
Originally Posted By: lightbg

Don't sell yourself short. Getting 18-19 year olds to listen to your music is a big accomplishment.
puff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2927356 - 05/16/18 11:34 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: Joe Muscara]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Cobra Kai?

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2927358 - 05/16/18 11:54 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: BbAltered]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Originally Posted By: BbAltered
We truly live in a golden-age for musicians.

We have pianos we can carry under one arm, virtual synthesizers with thousands of modulation options, and YouTube, which brings us instructional material, pretty much any song you want to know, and performances by just about everyone who ever played an instrument since the invention of film.

Whenever the Soul Band wants to learn a new song, we all discuss which specific YouTube video to learn from. We just had this discussion at last night's rehearsal.

What about that one period where you could sell records, tour the world, and become a multimillionaire from a couple tunes you and your buddies wrote in your parents' garage/basement?

Ok, that can maaaybe still happen but I couldn't help myself haha. Python

Anyway, yeah, YouTube is the most amazing thing. By far the largest musical library on Earth.

#2927386 - 05/16/18 03:50 PM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: MAJUSCULE]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
What about that one period where you could sell records, tour the world, and become a multimillionaire from a couple tunes you and your buddies wrote in your parents' garage/basement?

What they never told you back then was that the songs had to be good. The only thing that prevented me from achieving international stardom.

#2927389 - 05/16/18 04:18 PM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: CowboyNQ]
Strays Dave Offline

The biggest thing I love about YouTube is that it's almost a sort of celestial juke box with everything recorded. You can read a book about 1950's rhythm & blues and actually look up the records. That didn't used to be.

#2927390 - 05/16/18 04:24 PM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: Strays Dave]
RABid Offline
10k Club

For a long time I was upset that the promised Don Kirshner's Rock Concert DVD's were never released. Now I just watch them on Youtube.

#2927394 - 05/16/18 04:44 PM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: RABid]
Dnsmo Offline

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: RABid
Every now and then you find a gem like this. (Warning, Three Dog Night fans only.)

Thanks for sharing this. That's from season 2 of the original "Soundstage" series, which is still in production here at WTTW in Chicago. I'll have to ask around to find out if there's anyone still here who worked on that show. Doubtful! Other guests in season 2 were Bob Dylan and Tom Waits.

Also, I'd love to know the story about the white B3 and grand piano.

#2927405 - 05/16/18 05:53 PM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: RABid]
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
That is real good on so many counts. Live and tight. Such talent.

The opening vocal improvisation had a boatload of Roland Space Echo or similar device on it. Then it cut off at 2:39 - the soundman was part of the band.

#2927417 - 05/16/18 08:24 PM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: SteveCoscia]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Listen to the Hammond at 3:48 mark. What a freakin band they were. Sal Azzarelli, I think knew Jimmy well and did some work on his B-3. We talked about it in 2015 at lunch one day when we somehow got on the topic of 3 Dog Night.

noblevibes.com

#2927436 - 05/16/18 11:51 PM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: CowboyNQ]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Originally Posted By: CowboyNQ
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE

What they never told you back then was that the songs had to be good. The only thing that prevented me from achieving international stardom.

Ah, yeah, there's always a catch. wink Dang it!

#2927444 - 05/17/18 04:57 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: MAJUSCULE]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Looks like they are using a second keyboardists, on the left in black. Someone is playing a string machine and a Mellotron.

#2927445 - 05/17/18 05:08 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: RABid]
RABid Offline
10k Club

#2927494 - 05/17/18 09:03 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: RABid]
Shamanzarek Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: NJ
The second Keyboard player is Skip Konte. He had a dual manual Chamberlin that can be heard on TDN's version of Leo Sayer's "The Show Must Go On" from 1974. He was previously with Blues Image. Konte co-wrote their lone 1970 hit "Ride Captain Ride" and the Chamberlin can also be heard on that song. The line "Seventy-three men sailed her" was inspired by the Fender Rhodes Seventy-Three that Mike Pinera used while writing the song and is also heard on the recording.

#2927505 - 05/17/18 09:40 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: SteveCoscia]
Rustar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Originally Posted By: SteveCoscia
That is real good on so many counts. Live and tight. Such talent.

The opening vocal improvisation had a boatload of Roland Space Echo or similar device on it. Then it cut off at 2:39 - the soundman was part of the band.

I have recently revisited TDN and find their work to be very strong. Their guitar sound was a little strange, and they put a lot of work into their instrumental as well as their vocal arrangements. Their voices were as good as any then to now. I use this video to show my millenial friends how I dressed in the 70's (the singers, not the keyboardist)

Edited by Rustar (05/17/18 11:07 AM)

#2927519 - 05/17/18 10:58 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: Shamanzarek]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Shamanzarek
The second Keyboard player is Skip Konte. He had a dual manual Chamberlin that can be heard on TDN's version of Leo Sayer's "The Show Must Go On" from 1974. He was previously with Blues Image. Konte co-wrote their lone 1970 hit "Ride Captain Ride" and the Chamberlin can also be heard on that song. The line "Seventy-three men sailed her" was inspired by the Fender Rhodes Seventy-Three that Mike Pinera used while writing the song and is also heard on the recording.

And THIS is why I like Keyboard Corner. There is always someone around that knows more than me and has interesting facts to share.

#2927582 - 05/17/18 06:07 PM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: RABid]
newkeys Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Here’s the entire SOUNDSTAGE show that clip came from, if anyone wants it:

EDIT: follow the link that comes up to see this on Youtube, won’t play here.

And here’s a show I like even better, from when they were lean and hungry and Joe Schermie and Floyd Sneed were still in the rhythm section. Greenspoon’s pseudo-Garth Hudson organ showcase should be around 30:43. Mix is rough, it’s live;

Enjoy...

Edited by newkeys (05/17/18 06:14 PM)

#2927658 - 05/18/18 07:01 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: RABid]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
And THIS is why I like Keyboard Corner. There is always someone around that knows more than me and has interesting facts to share.

thu Best music forum around.

#2927686 - 05/18/18 08:32 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: RABid]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Shamanzarek

yes, that was cool

Quite simply - If you can't play Jump on it, you don't want it.
MojoGuyPan

The Voyager is a Minimoog.
Bob Moog

#2927724 - 05/18/18 11:39 AM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: davedoerfler]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
God Chuck Negron.....what a voice and what a powerhouse the three of them were on that song Pieces of April.

noblevibes.com

#2927739 - 05/18/18 01:15 PM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: davedoerfler]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I wonder if all their voices have held up as well as Cory Wells.

#2927743 - 05/18/18 01:48 PM Re: The reason I really, really, really like Youtube. [Re: RABid]
Bobby Simons Offline

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Corey passed away a few years ago.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner