Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2927136 - 05/15/18 09:01 AM My Casio CT-X700 arrived
BitBucket Offline

Loc: CA
I ordered a CT-X700 from Amazon and open the box last night after 3 days to process and ship.

I connected my iPhone 5S via USB+Camera Adapter.

Opened the manual and found the MIDI Menu with Local On/Off setting and
turned off the internal sounds (more on that later).

Plugged my iPhone 5S into the mini AUX port and tried some IOS Apps.
The iPhone rests on a frictioned surface 2 inches above the USB port on the back panel.
I'll probably lay down some Velco since my iPhone and Telecaster already have Velco
pairs for using headphones with Amplitube in the garden.

The CT-X700 internals speakers seemed anemic for the AUX input but useful after inserting the 6 AA batteries and heading for the patio. I'll have to see if the AUX level is set below it's max capable volume. There's no extra volume knob for the AUX like the PX-560 has. Using AUM on the iPhone for a mixer interface will help fix this once the gain stage is set. I haven't tested the "headphone" out into an amp yet for signal quality.
I'm hope it works well into a PA for Open Mic use.

Keybed is sensitive but organ-like. The lack of "hammer" feedback delays gratification
on the Colossus brown for example but the Korg Module organs felt right along with some iTunes backing tracks.

It wasn't loud enough for anyone to call the police but not being forced to use headphones was a pleasure since the trees have a lot of songbirds and the Blackbirds
sing in the dead of night, praise Paul (with John/Yoko getting a 50/50 split).

The iPhone started to die and I tested my new 30,000 mHA battery unit and kept going.
The AA's in the CT-X700 are spec'ed to last 3 hours and AA's are pretty cheap.
There's a power adapter (wart on the wall end using an angle that let me use it sideways on a crowded power strip with only 1 opening).

The CT-X700 looks like the typical Casio Toy keyboard and is covered with features:

160 Songs with user slots too
195 Rhythms
600 Tones
*the internal speakers have more depth and power than an iPhone w/ AUX input
*excellent quality of sound sets
*any Tone can be called w a 3 digit code (take that PX-560 users!) KEYPAD INPUT
* 4 Registration buttons (Thanks PX-560 Casio engineers)

1.5"x4" LED SCREEN that helps teach the Tunes with small keyboard that shows the notes for "Fur Elise" phrase by phase to aid memorization. Maybe my wife will like this new toy for that alone. Can I input Moonlight Sonata? She memorized that in the 90's but has since forgotten how to play.

Any questions? Would I buy it again if it breaks? At $175? Yes, with One-click.

Edited by BitBucket (05/15/18 09:01 AM)

KC Island
#2927170 - 05/15/18 11:47 AM Re: My Casio CT-X700 arrived [Re: BitBucket]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My favorite patch is the internal GM Organ2 #454. I like it more than my Korg Module plus organ pack. The CT-X700 Organ Bass #180 is great for split bass. The JS Organ #054 is playable too. I comp with Dynamic EP #20 or Mellow EP #037 Like Auger does... these are my total 4 Registration presets for gigs.

#2927177 - 05/15/18 12:26 PM Re: My Casio CT-X700 arrived [Re: Jazz+]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I had a demo session with the CTX 700 about a week ago, but my headphone adapter went kaput on me. I think demoing anything properly requires head phones, and mine weren't functional unfortunately.

I thought the acoustic piano sample sounded pretty good overall. What I had a hard time finding was a Rhodes patch that worked for me.

My guess is that a lot of the extra sounds beyond the pianos and organs are pretty good. Casio always gives a lot of bang for the buck in this department. I still use " Velocity Flute" # 209 from my Casio WK 3000 for recording.

I haven't sprung for a CTX 700 yet.... I need a little more time with it. Plus there are some advanced CTX models coming out
"some day soon". Down Beat had the top of the line CTX whatever ad in last month's issue, but I am still not seeing them in stores, which is a shame.

#2927198 - 05/15/18 02:16 PM Re: My Casio CT-X700 arrived [Re: LX88]
Donsta Offline

Thanks for the report Bit. Do you have any thoughts about why you decided not get/wait the CT-X3000? I've been trying to decide if I really need anything that comes with X3000.

Best

#2927220 - 05/15/18 06:00 PM Re: My Casio CT-X700 arrived [Re: Donsta]
Mike Martin Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Naperville, Ilinois
My CT-X3000/5000 video will be out next week which should clarify the differences between those and vs the CT-X700.

Casio Music Forums
Casio on Soundcloud

#2927256 - 05/16/18 12:32 AM Re: My Casio CT-X700 arrived [Re: Mike Martin]
BitBucket Offline

I opt'ed for the CT-X700 *now* because:

1. battery powered
2. $175 is below the value at which I need to tie the purchase to a gift
3. It was an impulse after someone said they couldn't get a CT-X700 and supply must be low
4. It has the right ports to be a battery powered controller to my iPhone 5S
USB MIDI
AUX IN 1/8th inch
Phono stereo out (headphones)
iPhone shelf on top
Headphones to play Korg Module/Gadgets throught the internal speakers

For a better keybed I already have a Casio PX-560 with great weighted keys sounds/rhythms/etc. and it also supports the IOS devices though Line In ports/Aux with external volume knob.

The CT-X700 fits in a backstrapped softcase so I can go to the wharf and
sit in with the buskers and play organ/string/pad accompaniement which I keep
promising to do.

Today I auditioned some Battery Powered Roland Cubes for a better PA. The smaller one might work in a back back. Maybe the BlackStar?

#2927269 - 05/16/18 04:01 AM Re: My Casio CT-X700 arrived [Re: Jazz+]
BitBucket Offline

Originally Posted By: Jazz+
My favorite patch is the internal GM Organ2 #454. I like it more than my Korg Module plus organ pack. The CT-X700 Organ Bass #180 is great for split bass. The JS Organ #054 is playable too. I comp with Dynamic EP #20 or Mellow EP #037 Like Auger does... these are my total 4 Registration presets for gigs.

I will set these up immediately! You just saved me hours of auditioning Tones.

#2927293 - 05/16/18 06:32 AM Re: My Casio CT-X700 arrived [Re: BitBucket]
Donsta Offline

Bit, thanks for the response. The battery option is one I need as well. My understanding is the CT-X3000 has that.

Mike, thanks for the info about the new video coming out next week. I can wait that long before making a decision. I don't suppose you have any more info as to product release dates?

#2927303 - 05/16/18 07:38 AM Re: My Casio CT-X700 arrived [Re: Donsta]
Mike Martin Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Naperville, Ilinois
Originally Posted By: Donsta
Bit, thanks for the response. The battery option is one I need as well. My understanding is the CT-X3000 has that.

Yes that is correct

Originally Posted By: Donsta
Mike, thanks for the info about the new video coming out next week. I can wait that long before making a decision. I don't suppose you have any more info as to product release dates?

Looks like June 1 or a few days before here in the USA.

Casio Music Forums
Casio on Soundcloud

#2927359 - 05/16/18 12:01 PM Re: My Casio CT-X700 arrived [Re: Mike Martin]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I am curious if the acoustic piano sample in the 700 is going to be similar to the 3000/5000.

Also.... as I recall in the past there were some updates on tones that might be available in the future. I am curious if this might be possible from the CTX series.

I do sense some disappointment in the organ department from what I am hearing online. I have seen so much potential from Casio going back to the WK 3000 and CTK 691, which was a baby version of the WK.

I just don't like it when all kinds of affects are added to organs. Ditto for EP/ Rhodes sounds BTW.

I am sorry, but phaser on a Rhodes is not a go - to thing for me. I might like it occasionally, but for practice ( probably 99% of my interest in the CTX) it would get in the way.

Some of the organ sounds that I am hearing online also sound like someone's opinion of what a rock organ should sound like. A classic other example of this are the Motif organ sounds. Not much I can use, because they mess them up too much.

OK... I guess I shouldn't have a beef with something that costs 175 dollars. Also , the market may not be aimed at pro players so much as whatever the mass market is supposed to be.

I might interject here that Williams managed to put in a pretty darn good Rhodes sound into an under 200 dollar unit ( the Legato) How did they manage to do that? Admittedly, the other sounds suck but I liked the Rhodes so much I bought one, just for the EP they offered.

If the CTX acoustic piano is usable for practice, I might still be into this . But I was puzzled by most of the organs and Rhodes offerings that I heard when I demoed the 700.

#2927910 - Yesterday at 11:14 AM Re: My Casio CT-X700 arrived [Re: LX88]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

A CTX 700 finally showed up at the Guitar Center near me- used.

So I finally got to hear it with phones.

I will add a positive here, as to not sound like I am over complaining. The keybed feel is nice.

However... I miss the drawbar organ feature of the WK series.... as noted in previous posts. I am not in agreement with what they did with the organs.

Jazz Plus is right... The organ bass patch is pretty good.

The Wurli is pretty good as well. As are vibes, and many other extra sounds.

I am looking for something for light gigging and practicing and at this point I am going to wait to hear what they are offering on subsequent models.

I tried....

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner