Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2927004 - 05/14/18 03:39 PM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: The Real MC]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: The Real MC
Originally Posted By: MojoGuyPan
The only reason to spend big bucks on a mixer is the preamp but with nothing but line level stuff going in there is no reason to spend more.

I'm an EE with 30+ years experience and this is the biggest pile of bovine excrement I have ever read.

You need to read more. laugh

KC Island
#2927027 - 05/14/18 06:15 PM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: Markyboard]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Should I dig up the literature about the special patch cables made with directional copper?
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2927037 - 05/14/18 07:06 PM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: The Real MC]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
I'm an EE with 30+ years experience and this is the biggest pile of bovine excrement I have ever read.
roll

#2927038 - 05/14/18 07:10 PM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: WesG]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: WesG
Should I dig up the literature about the special patch cables made with directional copper?

I plugged those in the wrong way and ended up constipated for a week.

#2927039 - 05/14/18 07:12 PM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: SteinwayB]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: SteinwayB
Anyone have experience with the Samson SM10? I like the flexible headphone routing. I'm thinking if I want to go ITE monitoring, I could feed the FOH outputs to this mixer and send that mix to my headphone output and send the keyboards alone to the main outputs which would go to FOH. My concern is the sound quality and durability of this unit since it is only $200. Doesn't look like any of the higher end 1 RU units like the Ashley have this routing flexibility.
I have one and it's routing options are great. I love the unit, but unfortunately one of the channels is kaput and it's in the shop to see if it's even worth spending money on. I am going with the Key Largo into an Ashly 308 to facilitate use of my iem's.

#2927060 - 05/14/18 09:35 PM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: rickp]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: rickp
If I had your requirements, I'd go with this digital Soundcraft; I use the 24 channel version for our bands with my boards running first through a Key Largo, and have often thought the small version would be handy for solo use.

You could control it with the iPhone you mentioned, and easily set up and then recall scenes with one click with no worries about having to readjust gains, EQ and channel knobs after transport. You would need a couple 1/4>XLR adapters (although if you don't mind the extra size and $100, there is a 16 channel version with 8 1/4-XLR combis).

Would also be great for IEM use if you want to use one or two inputs for a monitor mix from FOH and season to taste using the solo function and mixing the various channels into the headphone jack as desired.

The effects and extra outputs could come in handy too if you ever wanted to use it as a small FOH board with a monitor or two.

This looks very interesting.

#2927090 - 05/15/18 05:17 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: HammondDave]
rickp Offline

Originally Posted By: HammondDave
If I had your requirements, I'd go with this digital Soundcraft; I use the 24 channel version for our bands with my boards running first through a Key Largo, and have often thought the small version would be handy for solo use.

You could control it with the iPhone you mentioned, and easily set up and then recall scenes with one click with no worries about having to readjust gains, EQ and channel knobs after transport. You would need a couple 1/4>XLR adapters (although if you don't mind the extra size and $100, there is a 16 channel version with 8 1/4-XLR combis).

Would also be great for IEM use if you want to use one or two inputs for a monitor mix from FOH and season to taste using the solo function and mixing the various channels into the headphone jack as desired.

The effects and extra outputs could come in handy too if you ever wanted to use it as a small FOH board with a monitor or two.

This looks very interesting.

A 4-band parametric EQ on each channel and 31-band graphic EQ are great features I forgot to mention before. More info and some detailed tutorial vids are on Soundcraft's product site.

#2927109 - 05/15/18 07:06 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: rickp]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Loc: Mainland Florida
I like how HammondDave seemed happy with the sound and form of his small, inexpensive Mackie mixer except for it dying on him and asked whether or not to get another Mackie or something cheaper and you guys are telling him he needs to get an $1800 rack mounted mixer.

I'm sure that the Ashley mixers are better in a recording studio and it is probably what they use at AIR Studios but that is not what HammondDave seems to be looking for.

He is looking for a replacement to his Mackie and the Behringer Xenyx is inexpensive and sounds comparable to the Mackies. The mic pres on the Xenyx and the Mackie are weak but he is just using it to mix keyboards.

I will say that I find the Soundcraft to have better preamps but for just boards there is no reason not to go for the Xenyx.

I myself have a Soundcraft because I do have some mics going through it. It's good live but obviously there is better if you need something for a recording studio.

You guys recommending mixers $1500 more than he is looking to spend are ridiculous.

Edited by MojoGuyPan (05/15/18 07:07 AM)

#2927117 - 05/15/18 07:36 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: MojoGuyPan]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

People look for all kind of stuff in a mixer, which isn't necessarily a "studio" sound. That could entail transparency, certain abilities to create (analog) signal bands, strip and master section "curves" that create a mix with depth from pre-conditioned tracks, etc. I also like the added possibilities of EQ, multiple compression facilities, powerful effects, signal routing (aux-s, sub busses) signal types it can handle, impedances.

The Soundcraft is a lot of power for the money, I could be convinced those DBX effects and Lexicon reverbs actually work, which could be quite powerful. But, it looks like it's 44.1 kHz sampling frequency, and it mixes digital (not digital controlled analog) which certainly at only at 44.1 S/s would NOT be acceptable to me. Also: no digital sync with digital effects or recording devices/interfaces.

T

#2927125 - 05/15/18 08:16 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: Theo Verelst]
mwheels Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Another vote for the Yamaha MG10XU, gets the job done nicely for me.

#2927180 - 05/15/18 12:50 PM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: Theo Verelst]
rickp Offline

Originally Posted By: Theo Verelst
But, it looks like it's 44.1 kHz sampling frequency, and it mixes digital (not digital controlled analog) which certainly at only at 44.1 S/s would NOT be acceptable to me. Also: no digital sync with digital effects or recording devices/interfaces.

T

Right, Theo, I suppose part of the limitations of what $300 will get you . . . moving on up though, the $100 more expensive Ui16 offers stereo recording to a USB drive, and the $1,000 Ui24R with 20 Studer-designed preamps allows multitracking, simultaneously sending all 22 inputs to DAW and recording the stereo mix onto a USB drive. I haven't tried mine as a DAW interface; I'm still using an old school Mackie Onyx 1640i firewire mixer for that.

For us, the beauty of the Ui24R in live performance use is the wide array of easily customized effects options and EQ per channel, excellent feedback suppression tools, channel-selectable phantom power, stellar vocal mic sound (Shure Beta 87 a's or c's mate well with this mixer), the reassurance and convenience of one-click show/venue settings selection when sound check time is limited or nonexistent (it happens) and built-in wifi - but most particularly the ability to allow everyone to mix their own IEM via iPad while pushing clean, crisp sound out front. If there are any compromises in the sampling frequency, they don't seem to be readily apparent in that context.

#2927288 - 05/16/18 06:11 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: rickp]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

But, it looks like it's 44.1 kHz sampling frequency, and it mixes digital (not digital controlled analog) which certainly at only at 44.1 S/s would NOT be acceptable to me. Also: no digital sync with digital effects or recording devices/interfaces.

T

Right, Theo, I suppose part of the limitations of what $300 will get you . . . moving on up though, the $100 more expensive Ui16 offers stereo recording to a USB drive, and the $1,000 Ui24R with 20 Studer-designed preamps allows multitracking, simultaneously sending all 22 inputs to DAW and recording the stereo mix onto a USB drive. I haven't tried mine as a DAW interface; I'm still using an old school Mackie Onyx 1640i firewire mixer for that.

For us, the beauty of the Ui24R in live performance use is the wide array of easily customized effects options and EQ per channel, excellent feedback suppression tools, channel-selectable phantom power, stellar vocal mic sound (Shure Beta 87 a's or c's mate well with this mixer), the reassurance and convenience of one-click show/venue settings selection when sound check time is limited or nonexistent (it happens) and built-in wifi - but most particularly the ability to allow everyone to mix their own IEM via iPad while pushing clean, crisp sound out front. If there are any compromises in the sampling frequency, they don't seem to be readily apparent in that context.

Does the 16r have these same Efx and feedback suppression features?

Edited by HammondDave (05/16/18 06:12 AM)

#2927295 - 05/16/18 06:44 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: rickp]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I saw the cheap model records, even in 24/32 bit, too, with a sw upgrade.

It's like, I've got more than a few options to push signals through very good 44.1 digitization, and seldom I can agree that it satisfies me. So I though , before others try for years and find out the same, maybe some would like to know there are usually some serious degradations unless you know very well what you're doing and us extensive intermediate processing at 96kHz for instance.

It's alright to be ok with a flexible handy to use live setup, but I can't stand the sound of most I'm hearing, even if it isn't wrong for the most part or damaging, it just takes the fun away for me.

If you use analogue studio monitoring, I think you want a clear, transparent sounding analog mixer, with some eq and maybe some more signal processing if it's neutral sounding. I dare you to take a goof signal source, maybe a decent analog synth, and imitate a decent analog strip eq, a little shelving low boost for instance. No way your digital will sound alike, strange but true, and I prefer that neutrality and think it should be considered normal still, even in this time of upcoming potent cheap digital mixing!

T

#2927306 - 05/16/18 07:50 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: Markyboard]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: Markyboard

You need to read more. laugh

(removes eyeglasses) Are these things working...?

#2927326 - 05/16/18 08:54 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: HammondDave]
rickp Offline

T

Does the 16r have these same Efx and feedback suppression features?

Looking at the Soundcraft product site for the Ui12 and Ui16, it looks like both have the same effects and feedback suppression tools (AFS2) that we use on the Ui24 (by the way, the DigiTech Amp Modeling on channels 1 and 2 make for great experiments with EP patches):

"The Ui Series mixers feature cross-platform compatibility with iOS, Android, Windows, Mac OS, and Linux devices, and can use up to 10 control devices simultaneously. In addition, the Ui12 and Ui16 each feature built-in HARMAN signal processing from dbx, DigiTech and Lexicon, including dbx AFS2, DigiTech Amp Modeling, and more. Both models feature fully recallable and remote-controlled mic gain and phantom power, along with 4-band parametric EQ, high-pass filter, compressor, de-esser and noise gate on input channels."

"Both mixers offer 31-band graphic EQ, noise gate and compressor on all outputs, plus real-time frequency analyser (RTA) on inputs and outputs. Built in are three dedicated Lexicon FX busses: Reverb, Delay and Chorus. In addition, mixer controls include Subgroups, Mute groups and View groups, among others. The Ui Series mixers feature full Show/Snapshot recallability with channel recall safes, while security lockout features allow customization of device access to only specific functions and mixes if needed. Both mixers also offer independent network interfaces on board for simultaneous control by Wi-Fi and Ethernet, plus a floor-ready rugged chassis for live applications."

#2927403 - 05/16/18 05:49 PM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: rickp]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Can you assign different effects for different channels? For instance, I may wish to bathe my analogue Mellotron in Tony Clark Reverb and at the same time run my analogue MiniMoog through delay.

#2927451 - 05/17/18 05:47 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: HammondDave]
rickp Offline

Can you assign different effects for different channels? For instance, I may wish to bathe my analogue Mellotron in Tony Clark Reverb and at the same time run my analogue MiniMoog through delay.

Yes, effects are independently applied by fader per channel (and on each aux out too), and there is a master fader for each effect as well. There is also a foot switch jack that I think can be assigned on/off to an effect - I haven’t played with that so I’m not entirely sure how that works.

The Tablet Software Demo screen simulation will give you a pretty good idea of how the software works (btw, “software” is a bit of a misnomer in that there is nothing to download or install; any device with WiFi capability can access the mixer - passwords can be assigned to limit access or restrict scope of rights). On the software screen, these basics will give you a lot of functionality: 1) toggle the mix/gain button - swipe l&r to navigate channels; 2) touch and hold a channel label for various channel setup options; 3) select a channel by touching its fader level button or by touching its label, then press “edit” to get eq, effects, dynamics and aux assign buttons/screens (channels 1 and 2 also have amp sims). After that, the rest is fairly intuitive. The user guides and vids on the product site provide a lot of depth when you want to dig in further.

#2927470 - 05/17/18 07:47 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: rickp]
Ross Ward Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK
For just a standalone, inexpensive analog mixer, I like the way the Yamaha MG/XU mixers sound. A few years ago, I demo'd one next to an Allen & Heath ZED, which I fully expected to wipe the floor with the Yamaha. The ZED was warmer, but I was pleasantly surprised by the clarity of the Yamaha, especially in the low end. It was tighter and punchier. Definitely a cleaner, sound, but not sterile, which is how I tend to describe Mackie/Behringer. The build quality could be a little better, but it's pretty par for the course for the price point, so it's hard to make a big deal of it. They're also built better than they used to be.

I have been pleasantly surprised at both the sound quality and feature set of the Soundcraft Ui mixers. If you're looking for something where you can quickly grab a knob or fader, they're definitely not the right choice. But for the price, man...they're pretty hard to beat. I can't speak to the quality of the onboard effects, because I've not needed them in the scenarios that I've used the Ui series. I'm also not sure that this has been completely explained yet, but the interface is via web browser on any device – so, on an iPhone, for example, you'd access the mixer via Safari (or other browser), rather than download a dedicated app. The mixer creates its own wireless network, so you also would also have to join the Ui's network to control. Not sure if you use any other wifi networks as part of your rig, so this might be a dealbreaker. But yes, play around with the demo that rickp posted to see what all features are available.

Let us know what you end up with.

#2927498 - 05/17/18 09:21 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: Ross Ward]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hmmmm... would there be any interference between my Mojo 61 wireless editor and the Soundcraft Ui16?

May have to have both my iPad and iPhone to run both...

Edited by HammondDave (05/17/18 09:22 AM)

#2927500 - 05/17/18 09:24 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: HammondDave]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Also noticed that the mixer is bundled on Amazon with various microphones, cables, bags, etc for the same price as Sweetwater’s for the mixer alone.

#2928017 - 05/19/18 11:36 PM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: HammondDave]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So I am now reconsidering the Soundcraft Ui16. It may be too complex for my needs. I just want a mixer that I can turn on when I walk into my studio and not fuss with signing into Wi-Fi . Sometimes I don’t carry my iPhone around with me and I can just imagine how pissed I would be when entering my studio and realizing that I have to find my iPhone.

#2928018 - 05/19/18 11:39 PM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: HammondDave]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Yamaha MG

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2928020 - 05/19/18 11:43 PM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: J. Dan]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
If you can, try to find a small mixer that has faders vs. knobs for channel levels, as you'll have much more precise control over levels. I'm not up on the latest models from all of the vendors, but at one time there were a few that met this need.

I've always gone the next size up in such cases, to avoid the knobs, as experience showed me how problematic they are -- especially when adjusting in real-time at a gig. The audience can get a nasty surprise due to the coarseness of the levels when using a knob!

#2928026 - 05/20/18 12:46 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: J. Dan]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: J. Dan
Yamaha MG

Yup. That’s where it looks like I am heading to...
12 channel...

#2928028 - 05/20/18 01:20 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: MojoGuyPan]
CowboyNQ Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: MojoGuyPan
I like how...you guys are telling him he needs to get an $1800 rack mounted mixer.

I'm sure that the Ashley mixers are better in a recording studio and it is probably what they use at AIR Studios but that is not what HammondDave seems to be looking for.

I'm just excited to have finally discovered a product that apparently costs three times as much in the US as it does here in Australia.

#2928033 - 05/20/18 03:02 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: CowboyNQ]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: CowboyNQ

I'm just excited to have finally discovered a product that apparently costs three times as much in the US as it does here in Australia.

Hey Paul - plenty of vital products here that match your criterion:

wave

#2928034 - 05/20/18 03:21 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: Markyboard]
CowboyNQ Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Ah, that warms the cockles of my South Australian heart!

Cheers Mark - I'll raise a glass in your honour.

#2929159 - 05/24/18 07:57 PM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: CowboyNQ]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK... so I took advantage of the Memorial Day sale and purchased the Soundcraft Ui16. Wish me luck.

#2929184 - 05/25/18 12:11 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: HammondDave]
stoken6 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Congrats HammondDave, and please report back with your opinion.

Cheers, Mike.

#2929187 - 05/25/18 12:22 AM Re: Looking for a Small Studio Mixer [Re: stoken6]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Yammie MG's are great bang-for-buck, and easy to use. I only recently sold my 16-channel model to a drummer who needed it more than I do. I prefer the older blue models to the newer black ones, as they're easier to read in typical stage and studio lighting (which usually is non-existent), and also find the extra EQ on the older ones more useful than having a limiter on each channel.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner