Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog Grandmother

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holding out for the the Grandfather edition. Limited memory, fat, reminds you constantly of the past.

Also, some clubs only allow digital synthesizes with the exception of this one, because you're grandfathered in.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't know guys. I can't get excited about this. Moog just half-heartedly commits to this modular thing and besides the modular renaissance is just about over. It's not going mainstream anytime soon.

Would really have liked to see them release a polyphonic synth. That seems to be what the people have wanted for ages. Moogs other synths are dynamite but this one and the other oddball stuff like the Mother and a bunch of the Foogers do nothing for me.

Even Dave Smith seems to have aborted his modular run after putting out that filter. Modular is best left to the independents and small boutique guys. Moog needs to stick with mainstream giggable synths and should really be focusing all effort into a poly synth. That's something that would be actually exciting and really would sell.

I actually though at first this was a joke photoshop mock-up.

Went to the link later.

Whoa. Didn't mean to be so glib.

[Looks again at synth picture & specs]: Okay nevermind I stand with what I said.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I was not able to find the product on the Moog website???
Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

To misquote Pogo, "April Fool's come on a Sunday this month".

If the product was real, it would be called "Grandmooger". :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

My vote would be for an updated Polymoog reissue. That was one sexy looking, great synth.

Come on, Moog!!!

Don't hear too many crying specifically for Polymoog reissue but it's funny to me how many calls there are on various forum for a Moog poly. Aside from the well known Memorymoog reliability issues there was/is tons of criticism about the overall sound; doesn't sound like 6 minis (or even 1), takes up the entire mix, crappy midi implementation, doesn't hold tuning etc.

Not sure what people expect from a Moog brand poly and what it would even sound like. I think this is mostly people's imaginations getting the best of them and forgetting the realities of the past. I suspect if Moog ever does do a poly it would be heavily criticized for not sounding anything like a (fill in the blank). I wonder how well it would stack up against the other modern polys out there.

I had one of the first MemoryMoogs and it was VERY problematic. For two years I spent a few hours every Sunday opening it up and tuning 18 oscillators for tune, range and scale. At the same time I had a Rhodes Chroma. Before each show I would hit the autotune button and a few seconds later it was good to go.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Not sure what people expect from a Moog brand poly and what it would even sound like.

You could chain a Little Phatty with four Slim Phatty for a roughly $4k-$5k 5-voice Moog. If they had built a single unit tha housed all of it, costs would have been lowered by removing all the redundancies (5 power supples, 5 of each control and connector, etc.), though I'd also want some things that would shift cost the other direction... larger keyboard, more simulaneously available controls, etc. But I thought that would have been a cool foundaton for a modern Moog poly.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

But I thought that would have been a cool foundaton for a modern Moog poly.

Maybe, but it won't sound like any poly that people are really familiar with sound-character-wise. Unless Moog magically captures the sounds of a polyphonic mini or modular they'll end up with something in no-mans land. Sort of like (but different from) the Andromeda if they're lucky, or more accurately... if I'm lucky :love: .

That's when I'll be really interested - a new polyphonic analog that sounds a bit different with it's own unique flavor. But tbh I don't think it would sell well and rise above the known familiar classic re-issues. And so I'm not expecting a poly from Moog anytime soon if ever.

Still quoting Pogo, "Friday the 13th come on a Sunday this month".

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

A Moog is a solo voice. The things that make it memorable and playable turn into mud when presented in polyphony. I base this on having owned a Mini and Multi and having run a friend's Memorymoog through its paces. Moog COULD release a poly-beast of some kind, but it wouldn't have much of an edge beyond being a Moog, especially as the poly field has developed. Its a unique flavor you have to take as it is. If Moog had to outsource for major digital components in a new polyphonic, it could easily end up like a cross between a train wreck and a dilution of their analog strengths. You address a Moog itch by placing one next to your other gear, not pining away for a new poly. If they want to offer modular connections, that's sensible, but I'll be very surprised if they offer a new Polymoog.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Thanks to GovernorSilver for summarizing the differences vs. the Mother 32.

I didn't expect Moog to put out something so reto-late-70's-to-early-80's junk-synth looking. So it seemed likely to be a paste-up job.

Just a few minutes ago, I received Moog's official email announcement, and the first 500 units have shipped exclusively to Guitar Center. Interesting.

The obvious first question will be what the keybed is, and its MIDI functionality. The Voyager is still the most fully-featured and accurate synth keybed I've ever used (Note Off Velocity, all 127 steps of mono-pressure and other MIDI CC's, accuracy, etc.).

The look of this thing is gaudy and beautiful at the same time. I originally thought it was a paste-up job and an example of some 500-series modules being hosted in a 500 "rack" attached to a keyboard, but now it seems more like a specific dedicated synth design with a continuous panel.

I can't do more than skim this sort of stuff while at work, even when eating lunch, so don't shoot me if my questions are already answered in the detailed product description. I'll read that and study it in depth tonight, or later this week. But suddenly I'm actually interested in this, as the DFAM already had my attention.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it has sort of an Electro-Harmonix look to it, which is indeed funky.