Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2927725 - 05/18/18 11:42 AM Re: NGD: Ibanez RG8 [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Yeah, most of the 8-string axe-slingers & their bands I know of- Charlie Hunter, Animals As Leaders, Meshuggah, Deftones, etc.- are also kind of cutting edge explorers. They’re all doing their own thing, so as a result, nobody’s using the same tunings.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2927730 - 05/18/18 12:21 PM Re: NGD: Ibanez RG8 [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Part of why I made the move . . .

I love my SG's, but the 6-string Electric Guitar has become, well, an institution, rather than an innovation. The Strat, the Les Paul, the SG, were all radical in their time, to say nothing of the Explorer or the Flying V. Once upon a time, strapping on a Fender Strat made you a rebel as a Musician: now, as likely as not, it means you're yet another Blues/Rock player, if not a Hendrix or SRV wanna-be. At this point, I'd rather get lost looking for a new path, than follow the same old ones . . .

http://www.novparolo.com

#2927762 - 05/18/18 03:28 PM Re: NGD: Ibanez RG8 [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Telling you how to innovate would be kinda pointless, y’know?

#2927847 - 05/19/18 04:37 AM Re: NGD: Ibanez RG8 [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Telling you how to innovate would be kinda pointless, y’know?

Indeed.

Though there's always some new approach to be found in even the seemingly well mapped familiar territory. I daresay that I tread there.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2928855 - 05/23/18 01:42 PM Re: NGD: Ibanez RG8 [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Omen-8 update:

After a good bit of experimentation with string gauges, adjusting the truss rod & bridge saddles, and so on, I've got it playing very nicely in a B-A low-to-high tuning, with the 2nd thru 7th strings in Standard tuning. I'll leave it like this for a little while, before I move on to experimenting with Modal tunings. FWIW, I can even bend that high A (an EB .008) just a bit, but I'm not pushing my luck.

The high open A is interesting with open, 1st Position chords, and it adds an extra dimension to movable Chord forms, of any kind. Playing Pete Townshend Live At Leeds-style distorted chords with ringing open strings is too much fun, I could lose a whole weekend just windmilling.

I'd almost forgotten how much I'd enjoyed the 24-fret necks on my PRS SE's, but having 24 frets, plus the added strings, well, it doesn't so much increase the range of the Guitar - you only get five additional notes going either way - but it gives me more ways to get where I want my hands to be.

Still considering a Multi-scale model, but I'd want to approach it as an entirely different sort of instrument. For now, I'm having fun with what I've got . . .

#2928861 - 05/23/18 01:55 PM Re: NGD: Ibanez RG8 [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2929820 - 05/29/18 05:29 AM Re: NGD: Ibanez RG8 [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

cool Niiiiiiiiiiiice... rawk

Sounds great, both fun and useful.

What gauges have you settled on for now? And what scale-length is that again?

#2929824 - 05/29/18 05:45 AM Re: NGD: Ibanez RG8 [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Caevan - It's a 26.5 inch scale length. I was using a string set cobbled together from a couple of different EB sets, running .008 - .064, high to low. FWIW, Schecter uses an EB .010 - .074 set, standard on their 8-strings.

The high "A" gave out after a couple of days, not really a surprise. I'll keep experimenting, but I'm not inclined to order a single custom .004 or anything quite that absurd. I may wind up going back to an F# - E low-to-high configuration, as I liked having the lower notes to grab hold of.

One disappointment; I found an 8-string set from our favorite string makers, DR, with a .080 for the 8th string. The .080 had a nice thin end to go through the peg head, BUT, (yes, it's a big BUT), the string was so long it must have just been a Bass string added in? I'd have wound up with a huge bird's nest of string winding around the 8th peg, to try and accommodate it. I should probably write to DR about it, as I can't be the first player to discover this. For now, it looks like I'll be using Ernie Balls on the Omen-8.

Biggest surprise is how natural this thing feels in my hands. Don't think I'm going to abandon my 6-strings altogether, but I did find myself looking over a 7-string Bass?

Edited by Winston Psmith (05/29/18 05:50 AM)

#2929832 - 05/29/18 06:09 AM Re: NGD: Ibanez RG8 [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
The high "A" gave out after a couple of days, not really a surprise. I'll keep experimenting, but I'm not inclined to order a single custom .004 or anything quite that absurd. I may wind up going back to an F# - E low-to-high configuration, as I liked having the lower notes to grab hold of.

Mebbeh try tuning it all down a whole-step, A D G C F# A D G, lo-to-hi... ? And capo-ing at the 2nd-Fret whenever you want more or less 'Standard/ERG8' (B E A D G B E A) with a more familiar scale-length-feel... ?

One disappointment; I found an 8-string set from our favorite string makers, DR, with a .080 for the 8th string. The .080 had a nice thin end to go through the peg head, BUT, (yes, it's a big BUT), the string was so long it must have just been a Bass string added in? I'd have wound up with a huge bird's nest of string winding around the 8th peg, to try and accommodate it. I should probably write to DR about it, as I can't be the first player to discover this. For now, it looks like I'll be using Ernie Balls on the Omen-8.

Some DR guitar and bass string types seem to share similar, perhaps identical, basic designs and materials- such as, say, Pure Blues guitar and Pure Blues bass sets (both with round core wires, the former with pure/solid-nickel winding, the latter with a proprietary "Quantum Nickel" alloy-winding). So, there's a point where custom mixed-gauge selections overlap between DR guitar and bass sets.

I believe that you could get the string routed from the bridge past the nut, held in place by a capo at the 1st-Fret, then crimp the winding with some needle-nose pliers between the nut and tuner (closer to the nut), and then carefully clip and remove the winding there to be able to insert the bare core-wire through the hole in the tuner-post ("capstan", to some wink ). Similar enough maneuvers have helped install round-core DR PB's on Floyd Rose locking-saddles without the winding springing off all over.

Biggest surprise is how natural this thing feels in my hands. Don't think I'm going to abandon my 6-strings altogether, but I did find myself looking over a 7-string Bass?

Glad to read that! thu rawk

#2929852 - 05/29/18 07:53 AM Re: NGD: Ibanez RG8 [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
I believe that you could get the string routed from the bridge past the nut, held in place by a capo at the 1st-Fret, then crimp the winding with some needle-nose pliers between the nut and tuner (closer to the nut), and then carefully clip and remove the winding there to be able to insert the bare core-wire through the hole in the tuner-post ("capstan", to some wink ). Similar enough maneuvers have helped install round-core DR PB's on Floyd Rose locking-saddles without the winding springing off all over.

When I worked in the Music store, we'd run strings backwards into Guitar with FR trems; ball end up at the tuning peg, bare string into the FR.

I'm going to re-string with that EB .010-.074 set, and see where that gets me, for now. I do feel like I should write to DR, and tell them about my experience, as I was unable to use that string, at all, so I now have an odd 7-string set remaining. It would have been too long, even on a Baritone Guitar.

BTW, trying to put a capo on this is interesting, if not particularly effective? Even a 12-string capo is a little narrow.

Edited by Winston Psmith (05/29/18 07:54 AM)

#2929901 - 05/29/18 11:03 AM Re: NGD: Ibanez RG8 [Re: Winston Psmith]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

BTW, finally got to try an Ibanez 7-string with a Multi-Scale neck, and really liked it, especially for tapping. Consider me an ERG convert . . .

(Yes, I hear you thinking 'ERG pervert . . .')

Edited by Winston Psmith (05/29/18 11:04 AM)

#2929915 - 05/29/18 11:42 AM Re: NGD: Ibanez RG8 [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

BTW, finally got to try an Ibanez 7-string with a Multi-Scale neck, and really liked it, especially for tapping. Consider me an ERG convert . . .

(Yes, I hear you thinking 'ERG pervert . . .')

...Because nobody expects a Spanish (git-tar) inpervection...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose