Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2926426 - 05/10/18 12:15 PM Looking for string sounds
Gwizz777 Offline

Loc: Oklanoma
Has anyone had any experience with this keyboard? I'm looking for a keyboard that has some nice sounding strings. Any suggestions? Thank You!

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-61-key-Synthesizer-Bundle-Keyboard/dp/B008BIDT4C

Edited by Gwizz777 (05/10/18 12:29 PM)

KC Island
#2926427 - 05/10/18 12:35 PM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Gwizz777]
vonnor Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Centreville, VA USA
Quite likely yes, although I haven't played with one myself.

A quick search has 4 youtube demos that may help. I can't get audio at work or I'd offer my own opinion, but check those out and see if they audition any cool strings sounds. smile

~ vonnor

#2926428 - 05/10/18 12:47 PM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Gwizz777]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Gwizz777
Has anyone had any experience with this keyboard? I'm looking for a keyboard that has some nice sounding strings. Any suggestions? Thank You!

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-61-key-Synthesizer-Bundle-Keyboard/dp/B008BIDT4C

XW-P1 is a very capable all-around keyboard (epecially for the price and weight), but sonically is not particularly good at much, except probably synth. It kind of can get you by on just about anything, but excels at very little.

For a budget instrument with above average strings, I'd probably go with the Roland Juno DS61, and then download one of the (free) expansion packs, either "Strings Collection" or "Orchestra Collection."

I'm not knocking the XW-P1 for what it is... and there are a number of areas where I'd rank it above the Roland (synth, MIDI controller functions, drawbar organ simulation, possibly the action depending on the particular unit you play)... but I think acoustic instrument sounds are almost always going to be better in the Roland.

#2926495 - 05/10/18 10:50 PM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: AnotherScott]
Shamanzarek Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: NJ
In that price range the Yamaha MX49 has loads of String sounds using the Motif sound engine. The MX is very light weight and is also available in 61 and 88 key versions with a choice of colors.

Edited by Shamanzarek (05/10/18 10:52 PM)

#2926511 - 05/11/18 06:03 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Shamanzarek]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
+1 on the Yamaha or Rolands-they are tried and true sounds.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2926512 - 05/11/18 06:25 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Shamanzarek]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Yes, the MX is another I'd choose over the Casio for acoustic instruments. Out of the box, I'd say the Yamaha strings are better than the Roland's, but while I haven't done a direct A/B, I think I'd give the edge to Roland once you loaded up one of its string expansions.

#2926561 - 05/11/18 10:39 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: AnotherScott]
BitBucket Offline

Loc: CA
You really want some amazing strings? IOS. Check it out. Some Apps:

Korg Module + Orchestral IAP
iSymphonic (has a few notes with corrupt samples but otherwise "Heavenly")
SampleTank with Miroslav Orchestra 2 Was on sale at 50% and I grabbed it

I run them on an old iPhone 5S (refurb's are cheap) using the Apple USB camera adapter or the Korg MIDI Plug which accepts 5 pin MIDI and has
2 1/4" phone jacks for getting into a PA cleanly by passing the noisy headphone jack.

The new Casio CT-X700 even has an iPhone tray built-in and costs $175 and has built-in speakers so the whole set up can run on batteries.

TIP: If carry one of the 20,000-30,000 mHA battery units and you'll make it through a long Gig without using the house AC and get the Apple Camera adapter with the additional Lightning port to plug in the extra battery. Velcro all this extra stuff to the controller of your choice. I have a MIDI controller that gets power from the iPhone over USB and another that uses D Cells and has 5-pin MIDI for the Korg PlugKey.

The CT-X700 weighs 9.5 lbs. I haven't heard the internal string sounds but they probably come close to what you're looking with the iPhone attached for $175.
Casio really knows how to blow away "entry level" products in almost any category. You get MORE than you pay for in other words.

NOTE: I'm NOT a Casio employee and get no compensation for these words.
But if Mike Martin is listening, I'd test drive any model he'd like me to evaluate.
I own and play my PX-560 daily. 'nuff said. The best $1100 I have ever spent on any instrument. It has helped me mourn the sale of my Petroff III Grand and the IOS Pianos are also taking me back to that "inner place" that ONLY a Grand can provide (the Colossus brown piano on the iPhone 5S sounds a lot like my lost love).

#2926565 - 05/11/18 11:04 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: BitBucket]
BitBucket Offline

FYI: IOS App BS-16i costs $9 and allows you to load a some amazing *free* Steinway and Yamaha Grands from soundfonts4u.

Casio CT-X700 $175
refurb IOS product - 32GB iphone 5S $175 on amazon today.
BS-16i $9 w free Steinway and Yamaha Grands and GS SoundSets for strings.
Apple Camera USB Adapter with extra power port $39
*** DO NOT GO the knock off route for $11. My iPhone rejects them.
iMuto 30000mAh Portable Charger $40... I haven't got mine yet but need it.
Korg Module $40 w Orchestra IAP $19

$497 out the door before Tax.

My iPhone 5S is the 64GB Model so I bought a ton of samples. The Colossus takes 30 seconds to load so not great for live use but Korg Module samples load fast. The tiny screen is a royal pain but budget took he here. An iPad blows the budget unless you go for refurb on an older device. I have an iPad 2 that still runs a lot of IOS Apps like iGrand and iElectric and even SampleTank.

Don't get me started on Guitar interfaces and Apps... Did I mention the CT-X700 has audio in? So, the guitar is in the iPhone and the iPhone is in the audio in and the keyboard and guitar are in the speakers and the Line out. iRigHD interface works for me but it's been replaced by iRig HD 2 without iPhone 5S support so iPhone upgrade might be in order soon.

iPhone 5S has 1GB RAM... newer models have a lot more. New iPads have 2-4GB and older models 1-2GB.

#2926573 - 05/11/18 11:53 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Gwizz777]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Loc: Mainland Florida
Streichfett is awesome for strings. Sounds legit, if you want something with a keyboard Behringer and Waldorf have string machines/vocoders that they've shown at Superbooth. May be a bit of a wait but Streichfett is the real deal.

#2926575 - 05/11/18 12:04 PM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: MojoGuyPan]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
I really need to work on my mindreading skills, because you guys seem to know exactly what "nice sounding strings" means to the OP.

Of course, it's worth pointing out that there's practically zero consensus among your suggestions, but what do I know? snax

#2926576 - 05/11/18 12:28 PM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Sven Golly]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Loc: Mainland Florida
Sven, it's obvious the OP is looking for something sounding similar to an ARP Solina, he plays in a Parliament tribute band, Pinocchio Theory, out of Broken Arrow.

Edited by MojoGuyPan (05/11/18 12:32 PM)

#2926613 - 05/11/18 08:02 PM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: MojoGuyPan]
KeyMoe Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Texas
Yamaha MX49 for the money.

#2926629 - 05/12/18 02:40 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: KeyMoe]
Music Bird Offline

Loc: America
Yamaha MX49 as well. Can do that and many more. Unfortunately the solo strings have a wacky vibrato that limits the playability. I guess since youíre looking for ensemble strings, you sure will find patches for that. Thereís some great synth strings too.
iPad with synth apps, FL Studio, freeware VSTs, 37 key MIDI board.
Korg Minilogue

#2926636 - 05/12/18 05:42 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Music Bird]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Music Bird
Yamaha MX49 as well. Can do that and many more. Unfortunately the solo strings have a wacky vibrato that limits the playability.

There are pros and cons to this. Yamaha's samples include a real player's vibrato, which is generally more natural sounding than you can get from an LFO; plus the vibratos vary from one note to another, so if you're playing multiple notes (simulatiing a violin duet, for example), it sounds more realistic than LFO-based vibrato, since the LFO creates an unrealistic identical and perfectly synchonized vibrato for each "player." But yes, there's also a downside to getting a vibrato when you may not want one (or may want one of different speed/depth).

The higher end Yamahas (I think MOXF, for example) also include non-vibrato samples, which (as is typical for Yamaha alternate articulatons) can be invoked via one of the assignable switches, but the MX49 does not have those switches. There is editing software available for the MX (the most capable being the stuff from John Melas), I don't know whether or not they permit you to creae an alternate MX preset without the vibrato, but you may want to look into it. On the higher Yamahas, as I understand it, the samples without vibrato are in different wave Elements (which are the component pieces of a Voice), tha articulation button is simply disabling some elements and enabling others. So I guess the ablity to do this on the MX may come down to whether or not those non-vibrato waves even exist in the smaller wave set of the MX.

I happen to generally like the built-in vibrato because these boards don't have aftertouch, and I often can't spare my other hand to work the mod wheel, and I find pedals to be a sub-optimal solution, in part because I usually stand and also because I tend to avoid the extra setup time unless I really need the pedal for something. Also, many boards support only one expression pedal, so setting up the pedal for vibrato means you don't have it available for something else. So if it comes down to a choice between a static violin with no vibratio vs. a violin sound that has a vibrato tha may not be exactly what I'd ideally want, I tend to prefer the latter as the more realstic option of the two.

The Juno DS has the sound bank of the earlier Juno DI, where the violin has no built-in vibrato (you would use the LFO mod wheel approach instead), and also has an additional new DS-specific sound bank which adds violin with built-in vibrato, so you have a choice, even among the stock sounds (before you load any of their expansions), though I don't think the stock DS violin sounds as authentic and rich as Yamaha's.

#2926639 - 05/12/18 06:31 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: AnotherScott]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

Kurz Forte, search ended. Calling David Weiser!! ;-)

#2926640 - 05/12/18 06:53 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: BitBucket]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: DaveMcD
Casio CT-X700 $175
refurb IOS product - 32GB iphone 5S $175 on amazon today.
BS-16i $9 w free Steinway and Yamaha Grands and GS SoundSets for strings.
Apple Camera USB Adapter with extra power port $39
*** DO NOT GO the knock off route for $11. My iPhone rejects them.
iMuto 30000mAh Portable Charger $40... I haven't got mine yet but need it.
Korg Module $40 w Orchestra IAP $19

$497 out the door before Tax.

If he wants to go the software route, he doesn't even neccesaily need to buy the keyboard, he can connect to his SK1, which also functions as a 3-zone MIDI controller.

#2926891 - 05/14/18 04:25 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Sven Golly]
BitBucket Offline

Originally Posted By: Sven Golly
I really need to work on my mindreading skills, because you guys seem to know exactly what "nice sounding strings" means to the OP.

Of course, it's worth pointing out that there's practically zero consensus among your suggestions, but what do I know? snax

You don't need mind reading skills to have an opinion on "nice sounding strings". Just
ears...

[HUMOR ON] We got together on a concall and decided to give conflicting responses. I got push him towards "Software Solutions for Less than $500, Alex". [HUMOR OFF]

#2926894 - 05/14/18 04:34 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: BitBucket]
BitBucket Offline

[HUMOR ON] We got together on a concall and decided to give conflicting responses. I got push him towards "Software Solutions for Less than $500, Alex". [HUMOR OFF]

[Extra HUMOR]
I get kickbacks from Apple for bringing Rubes into their tent.
[Extra HUMOR OFF]

I'm a Casio User and my CT-X700 arrives today. I also drive a PX-560 so you know I'm cheap.

What I love about software is the simple fact that I can sneak it into the house without
being too obvious that I'm feeding my GAS addition.

Getting a new iPad was harder. Upgrading my iPhone 5S is next.

#2926943 - 05/14/18 09:23 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: BitBucket]
Sven Golly Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: DaveMcD

You don't need mind reading skills to have an opinion on "nice sounding strings". Just
ears...

This isn't about my, or your opinion. It's about what the OP considers "nice sounding strings."

London Philharmonic?
String quartets?
Solo Violin/Viola/Cello/Contrabass?
Arp Solina?
Roland Jupiter 4 with chorus for his Duran Duran tribute?
Mellotron, because he's obsessed with the Moody Blues?

The OP's post is like saying "I need a recommendation for a good vehicle" in an automotive forum. How the hell are you supposed to give a useful recommendation? The fact that you choose to ignore that shows that you, like most here, don't really bother to read posts and try to help, you just like padding your post count. Such is life.

Also, you keep using [HUMOR], but I do not think it means what you think it means... you may want to work on that in between soliloquy posts about your iPad search. smirk

#2926980 - 05/14/18 12:31 PM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Sven Golly]
aellison62 Offline

Loc: Ohio

sug∑ges∑tion

noun
plural noun: suggestions
an idea or plan put forward for consideration.
synonyms: proposal, proposition, motion, submission, action point, recommendation; More
the action of suggesting something.
"at my suggestion, the museum held an exhibition of his work"
something that implies or indicates a certain fact or situation.
"there is no suggestion that he was involved in any wrongdoing"
synonyms: insinuation, hint, implication, intimation, innuendo, imputation
"there is no suggestion that he was party to a conspiracy"

Edited by aellison62 (05/14/18 12:32 PM)

#2927010 - 05/14/18 03:54 PM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Sven Golly]
BitBucket Offline

Quote:
Also, you keep using [HUMOR], but I do not think it means what you think it means... you may want to work on that in between soliloquy posts about your iPad search. smirk

Goodbye! Have a nice Forum guys. I'll just lurk for advice. I have nothing to add.

#2927078 - 05/15/18 03:48 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: BitBucket]
Music Bird Offline

Loc: America
It depends on what kind of strings you want, like Sven Golly said.
If you want realistic orchestral strings for a 40ís-50ís cover band, get a software program.
If you want Solina or Jupiter strings, maybe any workstation. Look at Synth Strings 1 & 2 in the General Midi format. Or maybe get a Streichfett.
If you want cheesy 90ís ROMpler strings, try a 90ís ROMpler.
If you want solo violins and violas, you should try software as well, but if you play Asian folk music with ROMpler cellos and violins, you can look for PSR series.
The MX49 has a great Mellotron and Solina preset.
I think the XW is better for synths anyways. It has the same sound engine as the WK-7600 for the samples, which I have. The WK has some nice strings on it, and it has a modulation button instead of a wheel, which is unusual, but makes it easier to play parts that have set modulation.

Edited by Music Bird (05/15/18 03:50 AM)
iPad with synth apps, FL Studio, freeware VSTs, 37 key MIDI board.
Korg Minilogue

#2927095 - 05/15/18 06:06 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Music Bird]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I think some of you guys are making this more complicated than it is. Of course there are different kinds of string sounds. And sure, more info from the OP would be helpful, especially if he's looking for something less commonly asked for. But realistically, a Hammond organ player is looking at getting a low-cost board with nice sounding strings, that's all. It's not impossible, but seriously, what are the odds that what he really means is Mellotron or Solina string ensemble or Jupiter 4? Or that he's looking to do orchestral scores? Is it really necessary to imagine every possible variable, as opposed to taking his question at face value until/unless he indicates otherwise?

I think odds are high that the answer to his question is to check out (as alternatives to the XW-P1) a Yamaha MX or a Roland DS+exp as mentioned, as being comparably priced boards with what are generally considered above average sounding strings for the price. And a nod to the fact that, still within budget, as BB said, he may also be able to do what he wants pretty easily with apps (which may be especially cost-effective as he may already own the phone/tablet and a keyboard to drive them from).

Originally Posted By: Music Bird
The MX49 has a great Mellotron

Hmm, not that I found. ;-)

#2927175 - 05/15/18 12:20 PM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: BitBucket]
Sven Golly Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: BitBucket
Quote:

Goodbye! Have a nice Forum guys. I'll just lurk for advice. I have nothing to add.

It's not an airport; no need to announce your departure.

You're more than welcome to put me on ignore, as I'm about to do to you. It's easy!

1) Click on my name (to the left).
2) Select "View Profile"
3) Click on the "Ignore this user" link.

Easy peasy. wave

#2927278 - 05/16/18 04:56 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Sven Golly]
BitBucket Offline

You're more than welcome to put me on ignore, as I'm about to do to you. It's easy!

So, he doesn't see this now? I'm not going to "Ignore" him because I read all his
posts and he really knows his sh*t... He just doesn't tolerate "fools".

It's also pretty entertaining to read his insults if you're not the "fool" being dumped on.

Of course, text can be misconstrued and he might not actually mean to appear
as a pompous jerk to this fool. Maybe he's trying to help me. I think I'll just humor him. It means exactly what I think it means... to me.

noun
1. the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.
2. a mood or state of mind.

verb
1. comply with the wishes of (someone) in order to keep them content, however unreasonable such wishes might be.

Still need to create that sig.

#2927289 - 05/16/18 06:26 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: BitBucket]
Gwizz777 Offline

Thanks for the info and entertainment!!! I think I'll try the Roland Juno DS61 with the strings updates. I'm nowhere near the players that you guys are, but i'm looking for backing strings for some of our songs. Thanks for your help!!!!!

#2927463 - 05/17/18 07:10 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Gwizz777]
BitBucket Offline

Thanks for the question.

[HUMOR_ON]
Now about those Duck and Turkey Calls... could you share some stereo samples
captured in various locales with different articulations suitable for say 6 layers?

I hear music and it's got a fowl odor. Only Fine Hand Made Quality Duck Calls and Turkey Calls will do.
[HUMOR_OFF]

How much are those Duck calls?

--------------------------------
No sig - No B3's, No Leslies
Had a Petrof III, Wurlitzer 200, Deagen Vibes, Camco Drums, Armstrong Flute
Have too many Guitars, Casio PX-560, Casio CT-X700, Apple iPhone 5S, 2018 9.7" iPad

#2927468 - 05/17/18 07:44 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: Gwizz777]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Gwizz777
I think I'll try the Roland Juno DS61 with the strings updates.

You can do searches on Roland SRX04 and Roland SRX06 to find demos of what the string expansion packs are like. But note that at any given time, you can only have one of those two expansions loaded on the DS61. SRX06 has a wider variety of orchestral sounds, though of somewhat older vintage (being essentially a compilation of sounds from older Roland JV cards).

#2927644 - 05/18/18 06:17 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: AnotherScott]
Gwizz777 Offline

My total acrylic duck calls are $90.00 and my wood or laminated woods, with poly inserts are $45.00. All acrylic are double reed and the others are double or single reeds. Go to my Tucks Game Calls page and there are some videos you can watch and listen to. They really are sweet!!!

#2927645 - 05/18/18 06:20 AM Re: Looking for string sounds [Re: AnotherScott]
Gwizz777 Offline

PRUFROCK.... Thanks for the info> I'll take a look as the SRX06.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner