Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2925920 - 05/08/18 09:10 AM 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018
BitBucket Offline

Loc: CA
I pulled trigger on my iPad plans and got the new 2018 iPad model.

Best Buy gives me 14 days to resolve any buyers guilt and upgrade to the Pro models if
something bothers me.

Day 1:
I loaded all my music apps from iTunes and just kept launching them as I gave them
test drives. No crackles yet.

I bought the $99 pen:
It's pen action *IS* much slower than the Pro models. Like the signature screens
at cash registers. (I'm going to want to fix that sometime down the road).

ForScore music reading:
The notes are small but I can manage without reading glasses. I should be
memorizing a lot of these tumes so maybe that's OK. I can expand the screen
briefly to anaylse tricky passages.

ForScore intelligently move though the music but I can see that the Bluetooth page
turner is going to be very helpful.

So far it's a keeper because I'm expecting a new 12" Model to be announced next month and that's what my wife would need to play Moonlight Sonata with a Bluetooth page turner using the largest Colossus Piano model and some new sonically perfect headphones. She can benefit from my mistakes and I can provide tech support. I think she'd prefer one of those Fatar keybeds over her Korg RH3 too. Maybe one with some back up sounds in case the iPad needs re-charging (the cat eats the cords so I should plan for contingencies).

Today's Plan: Day 2
I'm going to use AUM and start some apps in parallel on my iPhone 5 and the 2018
iPad and see how much extra capacity the jump from 1GB of RAM to 2GB gives me.

Stay tuned.

KC Island
#2926134 - 05/09/18 08:20 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
BitBucket Offline

Day 2 of the Test Drive:

I spent the whole day waiting for the Colossus IAP dark brown „Colossus Concert Grand” model weighing in at 14GB to download to my new 2018 iPad and iPhone 5S. So, no AUM testing yet but my early reaction to the Colossus is positive. Seems to work on the 1GB iPhone5S so far... the odd note is that that iPhone Storage page reports that Colossus consumes 1GB of storage (400MB App + 600MB data). But installing it took my storage use from 12GB to 30GB so having 18GB free is probably a requirement... maybe more if there's some unpacking of a download file. Since it takes 12 hours to download I'm not doing that again until my 14 days are up.

I also dropped into the Apple Store to ask some questions:

Is there a new case for the 2018 Model that would hold my Pen too? Not yet.

If I got it at the Apple Store could I bring it back to upgrade to the Pro models
for 14 days? Yes.

Do you have the IK Multimedia Page turner in stock? No.

What's the advantage of the Smart Keyboard over my bluetooth Apple
keyboard? He gave me an answer that I don't believe so I'll keep asking
elsewhere.

I might just use my aging iPad case for the iPad 2 because it hides
my new iPad in a ratty case that makes it look like I haven't upgraded in 7
years. The case is just slightly larger internally and allows me to hide the Pen
on top of the new 9.7" iPad.

I'll probably spend Day 3 comparing Piano products.

So, far I'm happy with the 2018 decision but I could see me adding a large screen Pro if I want to go paperless, have a better Pen experience and do video or music production seriously.

#2926141 - 05/09/18 08:35 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
Still waiting for an iPad Mini 5.

#2926142 - 05/09/18 08:37 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: DaveMcD
Is there a new case for the 2018 Model that would hold my Pen too? Not yet.
Not from Apple, but there are third party options available. I just got mine delivered on Sunday. It has the same kind of magnetic tri-fold cover as the Apple cases do that wakes it and puts it to sleep, and slots for the Pencil and the charger adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2926196 - 05/09/18 12:22 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
Ulf Offline

ForScore intelligently move though the music but I can see that the Bluetooth page turner is going to be very helpful.

Yes, a foot pedal like that that is key, not only when using multi page sheet music but also for scrolling. I got a four-pedal AirTurn (Samsung tablet running Fakebook app).

Sorry to hear the pen was is responding, that seemed to me as a major plus for the Apple pads.

#2926258 - 05/09/18 06:00 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: Ulf]
BitBucket Offline

TO BE CLEAR: The Pen works well on the new 2018 iPad but not as elegantly as the iPad Pro which really feel like using a pen on paper. Those models have custom graphic hardware to deliver excellent response to the Pen.

This new iPad was engineered to provide a lower cost model for school classrooms essentially so they traded off the quality glass and graphics processing and less RAM to lower the cost to 30-50% of the Pro models.

RE: Page Turning. I'm thinking of trying the iRig BlueTurn for $69 (but I IK Multimedia Credits) or AirTurn QUAD which can also act as a stomp box for JamUp Pro XT.

#2926266 - 05/09/18 06:45 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
Radagast Offline

I'll probably spend Day 3 comparing Piano products.

So, far I'm happy with the 2018 decision but I could see me adding a large screen Pro if I want to go paperless, have a better Pen experience and do video or music production seriously.

Be sure to check out the Ravenscroft 275.

#2926267 - 05/09/18 06:46 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: drawback]
Radagast Offline

Originally Posted By: drawback
Still waiting for an iPad Mini 5.

Everything I've read has indicated that there won't be a Mini 5.

#2926268 - 05/09/18 06:57 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

What's the advantage of the Smart Keyboard over my bluetooth Apple keyboard?

Probably that it is powered by the iPad. (Nothing else to keep charged.)

#2926270 - 05/09/18 07:19 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: AnotherScott]
RABid Offline
10k Club

You might also consider a third party bluetooth keyboard. I got the extended Apple bluetooth keyboard with number pad and the magic mouse with my new iMac. After two weeks I gave up and replaced both. The mouse drove me crazy because the touch sensitive area to replicate a scroll wheel was too erratic, activating at times when I did not want it to activate. The shallow keys of the keyboard slowed me down too much. I type very fast and need more tactical response than that little keyboard could supply.

#2926283 - 05/09/18 09:25 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: Radagast]
BitBucket Offline

Radagast, Thanks. Yes, I have purchased the Ravenscroft 275. I like it as well. It's going to take a lot of playing to see their advantages and differences.

Edited by DaveMcD (05/09/18 09:26 PM)

#2926414 - 05/10/18 11:30 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
BitBucket Offline

Day 3: I loaded the Colossus IAP dark brown „Colossus Concert Grand” model weighing in at 18GB on my iPhone 5S that has 1GB RAM and 64GB Storage.

To be sure it would install I deleted dozens of installed App (knowing the Apple Store will give them back and IAP"s can be restored).

After installing my storage setting showed a change from 12GB to 30GB but the iPhone stage page shows that Colossus consumes 401.6MB. All the piano samples are treated as data and end up in the "other grey" area.

So, I had 34GB left so I reloaded:

the black "Classic B Grand" piano (1.6GB?) which took hours to install again

Korg Module with IAP's (1.42GB) and Gadget (889MB)

iGrand 635MB

and a dozen music Apps like AUM, audiobus3

I'm at 40GB so I'm going to re-load the Colossus White "Baby Grand" at 6GB(?) and see how my battery fairs while I let this run all day. I usually just start at bedtime and wake up with a new instrument in the house to test drive.

NOTE: Switching between Colossus Piano models is really slow so an iPhone per Piano would be recommended for live work so I need to test powered USB HUB's to try it. I have one around here somewhere or maybe in storage (we moved). Much faster to just buy one on Amazon, right? But that also takes time. The local Radio Shack isn't dead yet.

But battery life with live performing is important and I really hate being chained to a wall power source. So, I'm testing power banks I have handy to develop a correlation between time and mAH's (mili-Amp-Hours). Time is relative and apparently warps so... YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

OK. White Baby downloading. Back to the iPad...

Today I think I'll test some guitar/bass recording using the iPad as a Looper with the iRig HD interface.

#2926421 - 05/10/18 11:54 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
KorgyPorky Offline

Since i upgraded to the 2017 pro kodel, i havent looked back..
It runs everything i throw at it, and sheetsheats and sheetmusic work perfect on the big screen..also goes for Lemur..

And 256 GB is only 3/4 full...

But in the end you can not go wrong with any type of ipad..
Andrid tablets have left the market..
Leaving only some serious competition in the more serious models from microsoft and partners. But thats another surface

Edited by KorgyPorky (05/10/18 11:56 AM)

#2926453 - 05/10/18 03:36 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: KorgyPorky]
BitBucket Offline

OT(Off-Track): I need an intervention.

I just wandered into a dark corner of the web for a GearHead with Irritable GA Syndrome (say the "GA" out loud even though it means "Gear Acquisition"). Later we can save some time and use IGS. Don't you hate mixing acronyms with actual words. I get PO'ed. I also hate 4 letter acronyms: so don't use IGAS around me.

Is there a filter to prevent me seeing this type of thing?

https://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video-editing/ipad-apps-for-film-editors/

*I bought the wrong iPad for sure* (Just wait. It's coming soon.)

#2926457 - 05/10/18 04:10 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
Radagast Offline

With all the big pianos you keep look adding in you're going to need a 512gb iPad Pro.

#2926488 - 05/10/18 09:57 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: Radagast]
BitBucket Offline

Radagast: True, I'd *like* more RAM for tons of quality samples, Screen Size for reading sheet music and STORAGE to allow lots of recordings/music. But Apple's WWDC is June 4 and they HAVE to announce something new in the iPad line, right?

My 14 days end on May 20.

If I get another 14 days to test the iPad Pro it will end on June 3. Close but no cigar.

I think I'll test the 10.5" next and then test the 12.9" which can take me past the WWDC announcements and allow my investment to be applied to a new model (assuming it ships at announcement). Either way I'll resolve all my questions with real experiments
and keep the right option for me.

Edited by DaveMcD (05/10/18 10:06 PM)

#2926496 - 05/11/18 02:37 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
BitBucket Offline

I loaded the Colossus White 1.8 times (the iPhone battery failed at dinner at 80% and the extra battery wouldn't light it up because the cable I grabbed was bad).

NOTE: The Colossus re-load started again from 0%. He's paying for that bandwidth every time I re-load these beasts. Adding a "resume" capability fixed that.

I'll try to backup and restore Colossus from my MacBook just to see how long that takes. Can you save versions of Apps with different data images and re-load from those imaged Apps?

White Piano storage - 40GB before loading and 45.3 after.

I'll add the Digital Pianos package next. I already have Korg Module with Ivory Piano, Vintage Organs, Orchestra and Scarbee Rhodes loaded with Gadget as well.

#2926498 - 05/11/18 03:33 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Can you save versions of Apps with different data images and re-load from those imaged Apps?

Not anymore. :-(

#2926643 - 05/12/18 07:55 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
Radagast Offline

Radagast, Thanks. Yes, I have purchased the Ravenscroft 275. I like it as well. It's going to take a lot of playing to see their advantages and differences.

DaveMcD can you help me with something? I have my iPad Air 2 connected to my Numa Compact 2. I'm using the Apple Camera adapter and a USB connector to the keyboard, but I'm not getting any sound from the Ravenscroft iOS 275 piano. It sounds when I play the keyboard on the iPad. What do I need to do?

Edited by Radagast (05/12/18 08:33 AM)

#2926718 - 05/12/18 07:35 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: Radagast]
BitBucket Offline

Radagast: I noticed you found the MIDI "checkbox" in another thread.

iOS can be like having the keys to a great Piano SuperStore to drive any Piano Model at will.

Somedays, I love the Colossus brown model and another the White or Black.
or The Korg Module w/ Ivory Piano can sound great in a Gadget Mix.

If I'm impatient then I always reach the iGrand to save the required 30 seconds to load any Colossus Model from scratch.

I keep forgetting Ravenscroft because it's ONLY on the new iPad and not on the iPhone which I keep near my Casio PX-560. They don't support an iPhone version.

#2926723 - 05/12/18 08:33 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
Dave, why don’t you load Ravenscroft iOS on your phone? Mine is on an iPhone 6 and works fine. I think if you take it for a spin you’ll forget all about Colossus.

#2926759 - 05/13/18 07:41 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: drawback]
BitBucket Offline

Oops. I stand confused! It does work on my iPhone.

It's the Yonac organ App "Galileo" that doesn't.

OK... downloading now. How long does it take?

#2926761 - 05/13/18 07:51 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
BitBucket Offline

Ravenscroft 275 loads in less than 10 minutes. How does it compare?

#2927291 - 05/16/18 06:30 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
BitBucket Offline

Originally Posted By: BitBucket

Sorry. It installs in 10 minutes vs the 8-12 hours the Colossus Piano models takes.

"How does it compare?" I wrote that before being able to give it a good listen.
It sound a lot like the Korg Module's Ivory Piano. Full and bright like a top line Yamaha
Grand.

The Colossus sounds more like a German Grand: darker with more subtle soft expression. I had a Petrof III that sounded a lot like the Colossus Brown.
The Colussus is suitable for slower Beethoven, Chopin or Debussy "Classics"
to my taste.

The Ivory and Ravenscroft are my goto Jazz and recording mix pianos at this stage.

Working with them more will reveal there benefits and flaws.

The BS-16i loaded with the free soundfonts4u Steinway and Yamaha models are
every bit as good as the Ivory and Ravenscroft. My only issue with them currently is they
arrive packaged with an array of models including most of the General MIDI soundset.
That consumes a lot of RAM. If I load BS-16i with the larger libraries I can't run any
Colossus Piano model. It runs out of RAM and fails.

So, I need to look into how to trim the soundfonts4u packages down to essential instruments to save RAM. If I have this wrong (like the BS-16i stream only instruments as they are played) please set me straight.

No sig yet.

#2927563 - 05/17/18 04:08 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
BitBucket Offline

I'm done testing and I'm keeping the $429 2018 iPad.

It's the best value. What I loose by not upgrading to the Pro models:

1. Excellent dimensions for page viewing

But laying the 2018 on it's side (Landscape mode) produces larger
Music fonts than the Pro's BUT it requires more scoring gestures (or
Clicks on a BlueTooth footswitch which I'd like

2. Smaller System RAM

I want more system RAM than 2GB but I can get it by:
Upgrading my iPhone to a Phone 8 Plus, iPhone X or iPhone 7 Plus w 3GB

3. The pen is slower on the 2018 vs the Pros with customer graphics hardware

Slow is the best iPad Pen I've ever experienced so I'm not testing this
anytime soon.

2GB is not an unnatural constraint in a iPad for most workload/workflows
To make it fail I have to load a lot more samples than I really need.

So, I holding pat and waiting to see what new options the WWDC gives us on
June 4. If there's a some benefit I'll go to Best Buy and offer them something in exchange to allow an upgrade. If they support that they'll earn my loyalty otherwise in the future. We have bought a lot of Best Buy purchases over the last 10 years and they have the records to support me staying happy. Same w
the Apple Store but they wouldn't want to set a precedent for allowing after announcement upgrades.

#2927565 - 05/17/18 04:13 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
BitBucket Offline

I'm done testing and I'm keeping the $429 2018 iPad.

It's the best value. What I loose by not upgrading to the Pro models:

1. Excellent dimensions for page viewing

But laying the 2018 on it's side (Landscape mode) produces larger
Music fonts than the Pro's BUT it requires more ForScore gestures (or
Clicks on a BlueTooth footswitch which I'd like to have money for)

2. Smaller System RAM

I want more system RAM than 2GB but I can get it by:
Upgrading my iPhone to a Phone 8 Plus, iPhone X or iPhone 7 Plus w 3GB

3. The pen is slower on the 2018 vs the Pros with customer graphics hardware

This Slow behavior is the best iPad Pen I've ever experienced so I'm not testing this
anytime soon and it's fine for tweak the GUI on App Knobs and Sliders.

2GB is not an unnatural constraint in a iPad for most workload/workflows
To make it fail I have to load a lot more samples than I really need.

So, I am holding pat and waiting to see what new options the WWDC gives us on
June 4. If there's a some benefit to a new model I'll go to Best Buy and offer them something in exchange to allow an upgrade.

If they support that they'll earn my loyalty otherwise in the future. We have bought a lot of Best Buy purchases over the last 10 years and they have the records to support me staying happy. Same w the Apple Store but they wouldn't want to set a precedent for allowing an after-announcement upgrades. Best Buy is my Best shot short of gaming the system w 3 more product returns. I may be a jerk but I'm actually a pretty decent guy despite how I appear in text. I give instruments to children to encourage them to learn to play for example.

[END_OF_SOLILOQUY] "as you were".

Edited by BitBucket (05/17/18 04:19 PM)

#2928077 - 05/20/18 09:05 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

every bit as good as the Ivory and Ravenscroft.

Are there differences in subtleties like pedal-down vs. pedal-up sounds (string resonances), or note-off release? I mean, are these things perhaps available in Ivory/Ravenscroft but not in a soundfont?

#2928083 - 05/20/18 10:23 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: BitBucket]
Radagast Offline

Sorry. It installs in 10 minutes vs the 8-12 hours the Colossus Piano models takes.

The Ivory and Ravenscroft are my goto Jazz and recording mix pianos at this stage.

every bit as good as the Ivory and Ravenscroft. My only issue with them currently is they
arrive packaged with an array of models including most of the General MIDI soundset.
That consumes a lot of RAM. If I load BS-16i with the larger libraries I can't run any
Colossus Piano model. It runs out of RAM and fails.

No sig yet.

I want to make sure I understand you here. The BS-16i comes with the Steinway and Yamaha pianos? Or do you have to download them after getting BS-16i?

In the App Store, it says there is a Hi-res option as an in-app purchase. Did you get that? I'm not sure I want to have to spend more money to get the best sound.

#2928091 - 05/20/18 11:28 AM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: Radagast]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Radagast
In the App Store, it says there is a Hi-res option as an in-app purchase. Did you get that? I'm not sure I want to have to spend more money to get the best sound.

Still a lot cheaper than another keyboard.

Also, BS16i is $8, + $5 for hi-res. Really, would you feel better if i were $13 and included the hi-res (whether you needed it or not)?

By comparison:

Korg Module is $40, + $30 for Ivory to get its best piano sound.

and Ravenscroft is $36.

#2928425 - 05/21/18 11:52 PM Re: 14 day Test Drive of the iPad 2018 [Re: AnotherScott]
BitBucket Offline

You make an excellent point about the extra attention the hand tweaked products get but I'd expect the *free* SoundFonts4u packages to satisfy
many that just want to create tracks that sound like recordings of great pianos.

The SoundFonts4u web site also has pointers to "Polyphone" allowing you to
customize the soundfile package to the instruments you may care to use lowering the memory requirements to load the package.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner