Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

The XW-P1 is feature rich but GM sounds and the B3 is very week. I won't even get into the Leslie sim because it will drive you to stab coat hangers into your eardrums.

I thought the Leslie sim itself was adequate. The overdrive, OTOH, was atrocious.

It's okay but it sounds every penny of its $400. The Numa 2 is about the same price but the pianos and EPs are well above Generalissimo MIDI quality. And the keyboard action is superior to the XW-P1 in every way.

The Numa 2X (the one with the organ) is hundreds more than the XW-P1. The XW-P1 action varied. I've mentioned that before... I played some that felt much better than any Yamaha, Korg, or Roland anywhere near its price, and I played others that felt awful.

The Numa 2x still looks like a stage piano with extra sounds and not a synth so there are no controls.

The 9 drawbar faders double as synth controls.

If you want piano/EP, drawbar organ, basic rompler sounds, and some semblance of synth (with appropriate controls, like pitch/modulation, filter cutoff/resonance, some envelope controls), the XW-P1 is the entry point. Then the Numa Compact 2X should be a big improvement in most ways, though I'm curious to know more about its synth sounds and functions. (And it does lag the Casio in some ways, like splits/layers, MIDI controller functionality, patch recall buttons, the ability to pan sounds so you could effectively do things like put a better rotary sim on the organ sound). Up from there in price comes the Roland VR-09. Then the Roland VR-730 and Kurzweil Artis7. After that, you're in the $2k+ range.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Considering how soon Studiologic came out with the 2X after the 2, I'm expecting them to come out with a successor to the 2X at the 2019 January NAMM show. I would expect much more synth editing controls. I'm leaning strongly towards cancelling my order with Sweetwater. I need an 88 note piano, so I snagged a Dexibell P7 while it's still at $1499.

Considering how soon Studiologic came out with the 2X after the 2, I'm expecting them to come out with a successor to the 2X at the 2019 January NAMM show.

Nah. The 2X will have been been shipping for maybe about 6 months at that point. Also, the 2X is not a successor (replacement) for the 2, it is a new additional model.

As far as successors go, it was 5 years between Numa Compact and Numa Compact 2.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Considering how soon Studiologic came out with the 2X after the 2, I'm expecting them to come out with a successor to the 2X at the 2019 January NAMM show. I would expect much more synth editing controls. I'm leaning strongly towards cancelling my order with Sweetwater. I need an 88 note piano, so I snagged a Dexibell P7 while it's still at $1499.

I agree that the next iteration will have more synth controls but I don't expect that to even be on the radar for three years or so.

Congrats on the Dexibell, I really wish that I could try one out, the demos sound solid and they look sweet. The S-3 would be my Dexibell of choice. Don't really need one but they are indeed tempting.

Considering how soon Studiologic came out with the 2X after the 2, I'm expecting them to come out with a successor to the 2X at the 2019 January NAMM show.

Nah. The 2X will have been been shipping for maybe about 6 months at that point. Also, the 2X is not a successor (replacement) for the 2, it is a new additional model.

As far as successors go, it was 5 years between Numa Compact and Numa Compact 2.

My guess is theyll come out with a 73 version first.

Here for the gear.

I agree that the next iteration will have more synth controls but I don't expect that to even be on the radar for three years or so.

Congrats on the Dexibell, I really wish that I could try one out, the demos sound solid and they look sweet. The S-3 would be my Dexibell of choice. Don't really need one but they are indeed tempting.

I'll let you know how it sounds after it arrives.

The 2 had only been shipping for about 6 months when they showed the 2X at NAMM. I know because I waited several months to get the 2 from Sweetwater.

The 2 had only been shipping for about 6 months when they showed the 2X at NAMM. I know because I waited several months to get the 2 from Sweetwater.

Yes, but again it was not a successor/replacement, it was a new additional higher priced model. I don't think they'd expand the line to include a 2 at $499, 2X at $699, and some kind of 2XX at $899 or whatever. If the only thing you really find lacking is more knobs for synth (to add more control than what you can do with the 8 sliders), II don't think that justifies a 3rd model. I think if anything, you might be able to accomplish that with their forthcoming Mixface accessory. Maybe it could be velcro'd on the top right, even though it would overhang. (And also, as far as adding more features to a still higher end Compact, I would presume they're not aiming to eliminate all reason to buy a Sledge or a Numa Organ 2, either).

Yes, but again it was not a successor/replacement, it was a new additional higher priced model. I don't think they'd expand the line to include a 2 at $499, 2X at $699, and some kind of 2XX at $899 or whatever. If the only thing you really find lacking is more knobs for synth (to add more control than what you can do with the 8 sliders), II don't think that justifies a 3rd model. I think if anything, you might be able to accomplish that with their forthcoming Mixface accessory. Maybe it could be velcro'd on the top right, even though it would overhang. (And also, as far as adding more features to a still higher end Compact, I would presume they're not aiming to eliminate all reason to buy a Sledge or a Numa Organ 2, either).

Then we'll see come January 2019. But they've given people reason to wonder. And I think it'll be called the Compact 3. Nord and Dexibell both have more than one instrument with drawbars. The same is true with other companies that have more than one instrument with similar features. I don't know what are the sales figures are for the Sledge. But if they aren't good, or they are significantly less than the Compact 2 (which is supposedly doing quite well) then why wouldn't they give a lot more features in a Compact 3, if it will sell much better than a similar item that isn't?

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody else have that sinking feeling that it's going to be delayed further?

Im not trying to sound like a know-it-all...okay thats a lie. Now the distributor is saying the manufacturer is delaying the 2X to the end of July. Im glad I went with the Dexibell P7. Its a great piano.

I think its a quite a feat that SL has put together this feature set at this price point. Its staggering really. If it takes them a little longer to get it out the door so be it. My only fear is how buggy it will be and will they get firmware updates out to fix quickly.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I think its a quite a feat that SL has put together this feature set at this price point. Its staggering really. If it takes them a little longer to get it out the door so be it. My only fear is how buggy it will be and will they get firmware updates out to fix quickly.

It would be quite a feat if they actually bring it to market, at this price point, and it works. But now theyre going to be showing at a third music show without it actually being available to buy. Behringer shows a lot of prototypes, but what does it matter if they never dhow up in the market?

I agree. If the keybed is top-notch, its worth the price as a controller keyboard without any sounds. What other pro controller can be found for $800? Especially at 15.6 lbs.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I've been 76-key advocate for over 30 years from my first "real" synth being the JX10. It spoiled me I guess because 61 has always felt cramped for two handed play.

However since taking up piano again, it sure is nice to hit those lower keys of an 88 when such a rumble is desired. I often miss that beautiful Low D when going back to a 76'er.

The easy split and controller capabilities of the Compact 2 and 2X also provide ample reason for 88 keys. And at 15 pounds, I love it.

I wish StudioLogic nothing but the best with this product, but I think "unweighted 88" is a very narrow niche. That board in a 73/76 makes more sense imo.

+1

Perhaps the hold-up getting this to market is that Studiologic is rethinking its potential for this board. It didnt take them long to deliver a 73 key SL Studio controller once they felt they had a winner. Hopefully theyve realized the Compact series has a wider market and more versions will be available from the gate.

Here for the gear.

Perhaps the hold-up getting this to market is that Studiologic is rethinking its potential for this board. It didnt take them long to deliver a 73 key SL Studio controller once they felt they had a winner. Hopefully theyve realized the Compact series has a wider market and more versions will be available from the gate.

I'm not sure that's the reason. The SL73 wasn't launched because "they felt they had a winner", it was basically a replacement for the older Acuna 73. There's been a hammer 73 in Studiologic's/Fatar's range for a long time.

The Numa Compact is a different animal. It started as a stage piano (so 88 keys) but lightweight (so not hammer-action). The 2X continues that lineage - although there's so much more than piano on it that the "stage piano" label becomes less relevant. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a 7x-sized NC2X but I wouldn't bank on it.

Cheers, Mike.

I agree. If the keybed is top-notch, its worth the price as a controller keyboard without any sounds. What other pro controller can be found for $800? Especially at 15.6 lbs.

I wouldn't call the keybed in the Compact 2 top notch. The 2X is supposed to have the same. Both the white and black keys are shorter than standard keys. Because of that, it takes more force to push down a key if your finger is positioned further in. Piano Man Chuck pointed this out in a Youtube video. I didn't pay much attention to what he said, until I bought the Compact 2. On some chords, I have to position some fingers further in. Longer keys have better travel because the fulcrum is farther away from the fingers.

I wouldn't call the keybed in the Compact 2 top notch. The 2X is supposed to have the same. Both the white and black keys are shorter than standard keys. Because of that, it takes more force to push down a key if your finger is positioned further in.

Yes, though it's relative... The Numa does have that issue, but not as badly as the Roland FA06/VR09/DS61, FA07, or many Korgs do. The Numa does cross my threshold from being unplayable for piano to just barely playable for piano. ;-)

As a point of interest, I just measured the total length of a black key from the rear-most point you can press up to the beginning of the front slope down...

Roland DS61 (same as FA06, VR09) = just under 3"

Numa Compact 2 = 3 3/16"

Kurzweil Artis 7 = just over 3.5"

and the Kurzweil also doesn't get as dead in the back, which is not strictly a function of the measured length of the keys, since the pivot point you are talking about is related to how much of the key you're not seeing (i.e. behind the visible rear).

With the lighter springs I put in the Kurzweil (a subjective preference), that would be the one I'd prefer to play if I needed to play piano from one of these SW boards (regardless of the sounds). I'm going to try lighter springs in a Nord, too.

I bought a Compact 2 off Amazon about a month or so ago, hoping its 15 lbs would be a nice rehearsal keyboard option at times. I have had rehearsals in CC Philly where I have had to walk several blocks to get the the studio, and dropping the keyboard off prior to parking was not an option.

The Compact 2s action does not work for me at all. It is too springy, and the short keys are weird. The black notes are really odd in how hard they are to trigger. Maybe I could adapt to one of these things, but this trifecta of quirks will have me sell this keyboard for less than half price.

Its a shame, because the sounds are usable, and the feature set is actually quite nice for the price. I can plug my iPad into the USB port and get the app sounds to play through the internal speakers and/or the audio outputs. Pretty sweet!

But for me, the action is unusable, so I will sell it for cheap. I should have tried the 30 lbs SL88 Studio, because I owned a Numa Stage piano some years ago, and it was passable with its action, which I think is the same as the SL88 Studio, but I was greedy, and thought a 15 lbs keyboard would actually work for me. Its not worth it though, I will just lug my heavy-@ss RD-800 and be happy when I play (and b!itch when I move it). Also, I own an original 20-something lbs Numa organ, and I would choose that over the Compact 2s action for playing organ all day.

If you play in a rock band, and spend most of your time playing in the key of guitar, it might serve your needs well, so I am not condemning the Compact II, but just advising those like me who are tempted by its 15 lbs. If you need something close to a piano action (even a cruddy piano action), this is probably not for you.

If you need something close to a piano action (even a cruddy piano action), this is probably not for you.

You certainly can' go into it expecting anything like the experience of a hammer action. But as non-hammer action boards under $1k go, it is more playable for piano than most others., though one could look at that as damning with faint praise.

Frankly, I really enjoy playing the NC2 and love the action for a semi-weighted. I have no issues with it and can really dig in. It's a bit more resistant than my old Studiologic TMK-88 which was nice (and 13.5 lbs).

I guess I've learned to adapt to many actions since starting on piano 54 years ago but the NC2 is a pleasure, particularly the 15.5 lbs. for transport.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I too have come to rather enjoy playing on the NC2 however, as commented on before, it is quite a different keybed than any I've experienced before, and took a couple of weeks to find the right technique for maximum expressivity.

Definitely repeating myself here but as a synth and organ player for over 30 years, I found it challenging to play weighted keys again on my Kawai ES100; especially when switching back and forth from unweighted keys on the top tier. I think it may have been CEB that provided wonderful advice to use forearm weight for weighted piano. That helped SO MUCH! Thank you!

The NC2 requires somewhere between these techniques; too much arm weight and the aftertouch activates. Fine variation of finger speed seems to provide best dynamic interaction for me on that board, but still different than any other keys I have. Not easy to explain.

Whelp, gotta go practice now. :)

I too have come to rather enjoy playing on the NC2 however, as commented on before, it is quite a different keybed than any I've experienced before, and took a couple of weeks to find the right technique for maximum expressivity.

Definitely repeating myself here but as a synth and organ player for over 30 years, I found it challenging to play weighted keys again on my Kawai ES100; especially when switching back and forth from unweighted keys on the top tier. I think it may have been CEB that provided wonderful advice to use forearm weight for weighted piano. That helped SO MUCH! Thank you!

The NC2 requires somewhere between these techniques; too much arm weight and the aftertouch activates. Fine variation of finger speed seems to provide best dynamic interaction for me on that board, but still different than any other keys I have. Not easy to explain.

Whelp, gotta go practice now. :)

I found it quite easy to avoid triggering the aftertouch on the NC2 I had. Mine required deliberate pushing down. I could feel the key going down and coming back up when I let up.

My gig rig and most of my studio is set for playing while standing, and I am admittedly rather heavy-handed, so aftertouch triggers pretty easy for me. The SY77 still probably has the best AT interaction for me; Fantom is pretty good, too. Both take deliberate presses and are quite easy to control depth, even when modulating pitch. However imho, the Numa C2's keybed feels better overall, particularly for piano noises and while a bit easier to accidentally trigger AT, it is worlds better than the Yamaha EX5 that triggers with just the slightest pressure with no way to adjust it. That is one of the few keys I have set to play while sitting in the studio.

Numa C2 has options to turn OFF aftertouch on upper, lower, or both; internal and/or external and save the settings to a registration. Nearly all of my piano and EP patches have AT turned OFF and and the layered pads and strings have it ON to add a little vibrato if desired. Man, what a great board and controller.

Hmm, everytime I talk about this stuff I get an overwhelming desire to fire up the rig. SWEET!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really interested in this keyboard. I've been looking for something with 88 keys (or thereabouts) to use primarily as a midi controller, but that can also be used as a keyboard for gigs or practicing at a friends place. This seems like it does everything I want well enough and won't break the bank (like other other leading contender [the Nord stage 3] would).

I found this thread which has some great info on which keybed is used in what keyboard:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2893559/Comprehensive_List_of_Keyboard

It seems the numa compact line is one of the few that use the TP/9 Piano. The TP/9s is a very common and well regarded keybed but the action on it is a bit more synthy, I think the piano option is probably better for someone like me that's going to be using it for both synth and piano. I was in a music shop the other day and they had a Numa compact 2 on display (same keybed) and I really really like the feel of it. It's something of a compromise between weighted/semiweighted keys (closer to semiweighted of course), but I really like the way it feels.

I'm a tiny bit concerned about playing chords with my long fingers and the shorter key length. Nice the keys are standard width though; that woulda been a deal breaker for me.

Guitar center's website shows that it is in stock today, but then the button still says preorder... hmm