Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2925690 - 05/07/18 07:46 AM Iconic guitars
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I was looking at an ad for some reproduction guitars, and saw a copy of a Rusan Cloud, like Price played. I always liked the look of that guitar, especially in white. I've been toying with the idea of trying to raise the $450 they want for it, but I'm thinking"wouldn't folks think I was trying to cop a bit off of Prince?"

Considering how many signature and "look-alike" guitars from famous artists there are out there, what do you guys think about using one so obviously connected with a famous artist?

I kinda feel the same way about the Fender SRV strat with the engraved pickguard. Would you feel funny about getting up in front of folks with a guitar like that?

GP Island
#2925693 - 05/07/18 07:55 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: picker]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

I'm hoping that Gibson is going to sell off some guitars really cheap just to raise cash in their current Chapter 11 bankruptcy. I would love to get a Les Paul Standard with a flamed maple top and cherry sunburst finish, as well as a double neck with the maroon finish. In other words, the ones used by Jimmy Page during his Led Zeppelin era. And if someone were to say to me that I'm trying to be like Jimmy Page, I would reply "Oh Hell yes!"

#2925701 - 05/07/18 08:29 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: picker]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
For me, it's a "No." In a way, it's almost like buying a suit tailored for someone else; you better damn well hope it fits in all the right places.

I guess if you really want to emulate a particular artist, or a particular sound, I can see it, even more so if you're in a Tribute band that tries to look and sound like the originals. A real 'signature' model would, IMHO, incorporate various upgrades or custom options that the artist had chosen, based on their own needs or preferences. Like I said, a custom suit made for someone else . . .

Not all Guitar models work well for every player. You may worship Hendrix and seek to re-create his rig with modern and vintage gear, but if your fingers are too short to manage his riffs - which is a real possibility - it won't matter if your Guitar is an exact replica of his Monterey Strat, or his Woodstock Strat.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2925708 - 05/07/18 09:07 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: Winston Psmith]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
If you like it, that's all that matters. It's your money to spend as you see fit (for now).

That said, if it were me, I'd want to play it before buying it, to make sure function and form go hand in hand. If it looks right, but plays horribly, then your dreams will be shattered AND your wallet will be empty.

#2925742 - 05/07/18 12:08 PM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: Danzilla]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
There aren’t too many guitars out there that are so iconically linked to a guitar legend AND that are so distinctive that you can’t help but think of ONLY that artist when you see one. Prince’s special guitars are like that, though.

Personally, I think the only one on my GAS list that meets that description is a Brian May Guitars Special. And I want one soooooo much. wink

It’s your $, do as you like.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2925749 - 05/07/18 12:26 PM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
CEB Offline
10k Club

If one wanted art work to hang on a wall it might be OK.

As far as players I have pretty pedestrian tastes. In fact I've stopped playing a lot of my stuff because it's like everybody else in the area started playing what I have and I like playing something different...... By golly I'm now playing modded Pacificas. A local store now started stocking those guitars ..... they special ordered mine. But so far so good none of the local players have yet to bite.... Which they shouldn't these are supposed to be a student guitar.

Edited by CEB (05/07/18 12:27 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2925766 - 05/07/18 02:47 PM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: CEB]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I think you might be better designing a gtr of yer own which could be fitted w/electronics that fit what you'd desire.

In truth, although it seems daunting, you could take something like the basic "log" of neck & a body designed for whatever look you dreamed up, fit it w/desired electronics for well under $1K.

People sometimes simply fail to believe they can do things.

#2925810 - 05/07/18 09:58 PM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
If I were heavy into anyone artist like SRV, Van Halen, BB King, Prince, Jimi, Brian May, Lindsey Buckingham, Brad Paisley, etc., I would definitely have one of their iconic guitars. I think you should at least be able to play a few of their tunes if you are going to strap one on. But, +1 on it's your money so buy the one that makes you feel good. And, +1 on putting together your own custom guitar for around a grand or two... cool

#2925862 - 05/08/18 06:17 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: d]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
I think you might be better designing a gtr of yer own which could be fitted w/electronics that fit what you'd desire.

In truth, although it seems daunting, you could take something like the basic "log" of neck & a body designed for whatever look you dreamed up, fit it w/desired electronics for well under $1K.

People sometimes simply fail to believe they can do things.

I've been accused of buying a "body and neck" by some of my friends, after they've seen what I do to a stock SG. I love the SG's neck, and I'm fine with Gibson pickups, but I pull ALL the hardware, tuners, bridge, tailpiece & strap pegs, and replace them. Grover tuners, Schaller roller bridge and fine-tuning tailpiece, Schaller strap-locks, hell, I even pull the top-hat knobs and replace them with Gibson 'speed' knobs. My Guitars weigh more than a stock SG, have less of the neck-dive issue, and they stay in tune. I do all the work myself, which save some $$$.

FWIW, I haven't spent $1000 on either of my SG's even with the after-market parts. My 2003 Black SG cost me $660, bought new from GC some time back, and my 2003 Cherry Red SG cost me around $500 used; total spent on parts for each one, around $200+/-.

#2925879 - 05/08/18 07:03 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: picker]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Personally I would not play either of those-it`s not about what`s under the hood. You could emulate the parts and electronics with a guitar that didn`t immediately scream "This is just like _____`s guitar". If funds allowed I would get a Ritchie Kotzen Strat-I like the idea of a five-way switch, it has a unique neck profle, it`s a Japan-only model and no one would know it`s associated with him just from looking at it.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2925887 - 05/08/18 07:15 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 on getting rid of the SG neck dive Winston! That was my only complaint on the SG when my brother let me play his. Do you relocate the strap lock position on the rear to raise the headstock? I had to relocate the front position strap pin on a Fender acoustic/electric shaped like a Tele to get it to feel right. +1 on Grover tuners. My LP came with Grover locking tuners (which I really like). cool

#2925899 - 05/08/18 07:49 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
+1 on getting rid of the SG neck dive Winston! That was my only complaint on the SG when my brother let me play his. Do you relocate the strap lock position on the rear to raise the headstock? I had to relocate the front position strap pin on a Fender acoustic/electric shaped like a Tele to get it to feel right. +1 on Grover tuners. My LP came with Grover locking tuners (which I really like). cool

Both of my SG's came with the strap button behind the neck joint. I always hated the look of the ones that had the strap button on the upper 'horn' of the cutaway?!?!?!

The Schaller bridge is somewhat larger than the stock T.O.M.'s, which adds weight and mass to the body, and the rollers are a gift for anyone who bends strings, or uses a Bigsby. I swap out the stop tailpiece for a Schaller with fine-tuners. It's not as big and ugly as the Gibson FT-6, but it is bigger than the stock tailpiece, and again, adds weight, mass and stability to my SG's. The Grovers add weight and mass to the headstock, but the bridge/tailpiece combo more than counter-balances the weight of the tuners.

BTW, Stew-Mac is now offering the Schaller roller bridge with a two sets of stud posts, one that fits standard Gibson M4 bushings, and one that fits import M8 bushings, like Epiphone. It's a direct drop-in for any Gibson with a stock T.O.M. bridge, and (using the M8 studs) should be a direct drop-in for many Epiphone and other import Guitars. I'm going to order one for my Epi LP, and will have a full report once it arrives. (Big hint: If you're planning on swapping the bridge yourself, measure string height at the bridge saddles beforehand, so you have a reference point.) The Schaller bridge has a 14-inch radius, compared to the 12-inch radius of the standard Gibson neck, but I've never had any issue with the replacement bridge, and The Heritage uses them on many of their LP-style bodies.

Schaller roller bridge from Stew-Mac

I think, in my own case, I've been playing SG's for so damned long (since 1973), that I've learned to compensate somehow for the neck-heaviness? I was looking at a recent video, where I'm performing with one of my SG's, and even when my hands are nowhere on the body or neck, the Guitar hangs in place, instead of reaching for the floor, like a drunk sliding off a barstool.

#2925906 - 05/08/18 08:05 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 Brother Winston, on the roller bridges if using a Bigsby. My buddy found one at Allparts.com when he added a Bigsby to his Epi Sheraton and it fit perfectly without having to change the studs. He had my tech do the bridge set up and intonation and it came out perfectly. I have a roller on one my Taylor T3B that came stock and that's where I got the idea. Guys with Jaguars and Jazzmasters can use the old Mustang bridge (which is not a roller but it is smoother than those stupid screw saddles with much the same concept in mind i.e. keeping the wound strings from hanging up on the saddles and going out of tune). I highly recommend the roller bridge to anyone using a Bigsby or a whammy on a Gibson/Epi. cool

Edited by Larryz (05/08/18 08:09 AM)

#2925919 - 05/08/18 09:05 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I never go as far as Winston but I do buy low cost gtrs & make them over when I need to.
These days almost any factory-made gtr will have properly measured & set frets & a simple in-store play'll reveal any flaws to the neck, etc.

I also never buy an instrument online, partly for the reason mentioned above but also----& this is ever more important---the value of yer local music shops is vital.
That's where most of us will get gear repaired, test drive products & network w/local musos.
It's great to get deals online but....

#2925929 - 05/08/18 09:33 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: d]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
That’s called “enlightened self-interest”. An important but subtle economic principle that anyone can use on a daily basis.

Basically, you have to recognize when to pass on “a deal”. Often, spending a bit more on X,Y, Z isn’t just pissing away money, it’s investing in the present you’d like to see continue into the future.

Or, put differently, it’s all well and good to save 30% on each purchase from Amazon, but if you want the local businesses to be there for you & yours to happen in, get repairs done, get advice, or simply hang out in, you have to spend money in them.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2925935 - 05/08/18 09:43 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: d
I also never buy an instrument online, partly for the reason mentioned above but also----& this is ever more important---the value of yer local music shops is vital.
That's where most of us will get gear repaired, test drive products & network w/local musos.
It's great to get deals online but....

Agreed, it's just money & a few years down the road the fact that I paid $100 more to my local dealer will not have affected my overall economic health, but it will have made a difference to that shop owner. Plus, my fave local dealer, now sadly out of the biz, would always give me special deals, without my asking.
On the other hand, unfortunately, is the fact that a lot of stores simply can't afford to keep a huge stock on hand, & sometimes you never have a chance to audition something rare or unusual in person locally. I live in probably the biggest market in the US but I don't believe any store within 50 miles of me would have had the Hagstrom baritone I bought online.

#2925950 - 05/08/18 10:42 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've been going to the same few guys (yes, they're all guys) in the same two local stores for more than twenty years. I never have to haggle about a price, and I never have a problem with returning something. The store I go to for new gear can order just about anything I might want, while the store that specializes in used gear is likely to turn up just about anything we can collectively imagine. In both cases, it's been well worth maintaining a relationship with them.

I don't order any kind of gear via Amazon, period. Questionable product lines, companies you never heard of, phony or paid reviews, just too much BS, piled too deep.

I go to GC almost exclusively for used gear that I see at a scavenger price, and I've found a few good things that way. No hate for GC on my part, but no real love, either.

Now, trying to get the train back on the track, does anyone here own a signature Guitar, an SRV, a Brian May, an Eric Johnson, or what-have-you? I'd be interested to hear someone else's experience, with a Guitar that they chose because of their favorite artist.

#2925954 - 05/08/18 11:01 AM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Now, trying to get the train back on the track, does anyone here own a signature Guitar, an SRV, a Brian May, an Eric Johnson, or what-have-you?

No, it would never occur to me. I'm picky, I need guitars that feel right in my own hands. I'm impressed with what others can do with their iconic instruments, but that has nothing to do with me & what I play.

#2926020 - 05/08/18 05:14 PM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No to the sig gtrs, although I considered buying one of the Hendrix strats back when & I still might get an StratAcoustic just for the, y"know, showbizitry...were I to find a lefty to flip upside down.

#2926034 - 05/08/18 07:01 PM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: d]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

Price of an EVH Wolfgang guitar, stealth black: $2,999.999
Price of an EVH 5150 III 100 watt amplifier head and 4x12
speaker cabinet: $2,799.98.
Price of a set of MXR EVH Phase 90, 5150 Overdrive, and EVH117 Flanger pedals: $520.00

Realizing that Edward Van Halen never actually used any of these things to record any of his legendary songs: Priceless.

Edited by Sharkman (05/08/18 07:01 PM)

#2926198 - 05/09/18 12:32 PM Re: Iconic guitars [Re: Sharkman]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Sharkman
Price of an EVH Wolfgang guitar, stealth black: $2,999.999
Price of an EVH 5150 III 100 watt amplifier head and 4x12
speaker cabinet: $2,799.98.
Price of a set of MXR EVH Phase 90, 5150 Overdrive, and EVH117 Flanger pedals: $520.00

Realizing that Edward Van Halen never actually used any of these things to record any of his legendary songs: Priceless.

A few years back, you could buy a replica of the original Frankenstrat for around $25,000, complete with cigarette burn marks. You gotta love that, 25 grand for a Guitar essentially made from scrap.

For me, the whole "Signature" thing reached its nadir with Digitech's Eric Clapton Crossroads pedal, the lamest collection of sounds ever attributed to a Guitar hero. Ironically the most interesting sound was the Rotary Speaker sound from Badge, which was played by George Harrison on the original album track: the coolest sound on Clapton's signature pedal wasn't even his sound!!!!

I'm still waiting for Martin to introduce a $50,000 Willie Nelson signature model, complete with "authentic" holes. How much you want to bet someone will buy it?

Edited by Winston Psmith (05/09/18 12:33 PM)

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose