Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2925498 - 05/06/18 05:51 AM Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
I was flying back from Texas, enjoying a free upgrade to first-class, and took advantage of the in-flight entertainment, a documentary about Mick Ronson titled Beside Bowie. It makes a very strong case that Ronson was a key part of Bowie's sound. I had no idea that Mick was a multi-instrumentalist, who learned scoring in order to get the music in his head onto paper, resulting in the arrangements for "Life on Mars" and other works. I think most of us know who he is, but it's a shame he was not well-known outside of music circles in the way that Bowie was. The documentary has a lot of great stories and footage, as well as interviews with Mick and others. well worth watching.

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

GP Island
#2925596 - 05/06/18 03:52 PM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: Bottom End]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I have heard of Mick Ronson over the years as a great session guy.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2925670 - 05/07/18 04:29 AM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Yeah, one of those names you hear and read about connected with just about everybody.

Not a big Bowie fan in HIS early days, I became more familiar with Ronson from his work with Mott The Hoople and later Ian Hunter's solo work.

He got around about as much as drummer Ansley Dunbar. wink (who Mick also worked with a few times, too)
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (05/07/18 04:33 AM)

#2925814 - 05/07/18 10:40 PM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Short answer: Mick Ronson was The $h!t. cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2925843 - 05/08/18 04:39 AM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

shocked
Odd choice of a word to describe Mick's level of playing. wink

Somebody not well versed in "urban" vernacular might get the impression you don't CARE for Mick's guitar work. laugh
Whitefang

#2925974 - 05/08/18 12:17 PM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: whitefang
shocked
Odd choice of a word to describe Mick's level of playing. wink

Somebody not well versed in "urban" vernacular might get the impression you don't CARE for Mick's guitar work. laugh
Whitefang

In which case, said someone getting the wrong impression apparently don't know $h!t. wink grin thu

Imagine their confuzzelment over Ronson's famously cocked wah! laugh grin

#2926072 - 05/09/18 03:09 AM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think I did not know Mick Ronson's name until he played with Ian Hunter's solo band, but his riffs were known to me from the early days, what incredible tone he had

#2926199 - 05/09/18 12:33 PM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: Bottom End]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Ronson was one of the greats. It is sad that he didn't get recognition in his time.

#2926240 - 05/09/18 04:07 PM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: Mark Schmieder]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Big fan of Ronson, have been meaning to watch that one...

#2926308 - 05/10/18 04:00 AM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
In which case, said someone getting the wrong impression apparently don't know $h!t. wink grin thu

laugh roll

And I too, wasn't familiar with the NAME until his tenure with Mott The Hoople and then Ian Hunter's solo work.
Whitefang

#2926695 - 05/12/18 03:18 PM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: whitefang]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

He also managed to coax/goad Morrissey into making his best post-Smiths album.

#2926733 - 05/12/18 11:41 PM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: hurricane hugo]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: hurricane hugo
He also managed to coax/goad Morrissey into making his best post-Smiths album.

Not having heard that album, I still wouldn't doubt that, given Ronson's proven musicality.

#2926737 - 05/13/18 01:00 AM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I'm not sure which album that is, or whether I have it. Not a big Morrissey fan -- I even prefer a YouTube live video I found of Johnny Marr singing my favourite Smiths song, "How Soon Is Now?". I like almost everything he's done.

No hate on Morrissey at my end; I just don't feel much pull to listen to his stuff, as its scope seems not broad enough for my tastes (especially compared to Bowie, who surely inspired him).

#2927231 - 05/15/18 07:26 PM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: Mark Schmieder]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
My favorite Bowie guitarist was Earl Slick. I liked Rondon, just liked Earl better.

#2927518 - 05/17/18 10:54 AM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: surfergirl]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: surfergirl
My favorite Bowie guitarist was Earl Slick. I liked Rondon, just liked Earl better.

Earl doesn't get enough credit... Station To Station is full of great playing from him... "Stay" features awesome playing from him.

Ronson just looms much larger in the history

#2927569 - 05/17/18 04:49 PM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: p90jr]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

IIRC, Slick is interviewed in the Ronson documentary.

#2927618 - 05/17/18 10:46 PM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: p90jr
Originally Posted By: surfergirl

Earl doesn't get enough credit... Station To Station is full of great playing from him... "Stay" features awesome playing from him.

Indeed. cool

#2927620 - 05/17/18 11:53 PM Re: Beside Bowie: the Mick Ronson documentary [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

As much as I love Ronson, I think Slick's palette was a bit broader. Would Bowie's catalogue be nearly as eclectic if he had only used one or the other for his whole career? And I was thrilled when our local hero (I used to live in Boston), Reeves Gabrels, got hired by Bowie and became his main guitarist for a lengthy period. Three of the biggest contributors to his sound.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose