Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New synth: DSI Sequential X

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I am suffering DSI burnout. Too many synths in a short period.

And they all pretty much sound the same. Thin. At least this will have a piano.

It's a shame that Dave can't reproduce the magic of the P5 or the 600. They just sound so much better and have a weight and presence to them that the DSI stuff is lacking.

With the stuff he is putting out now, you're better off going with a plugin. I don't hear any benefit to getting DSI hardware at this point.

I think I am suffering DSI burnout. Too many synths in a short period.

And they all pretty much sound the same. Thin. At least this will have a piano.

Disagree, a lot. The P6 and Pro2 have a completely different filter structures than anything else Dave builds and they sound different and much warmer.

Moe

---

Hmmm...two wave tables and two analog oscillators? Has the analogue resurgence peaked? Is it time for new and interesting developments with digital...again? Will the analogue market plummet...again? Perhaps we'll experience a five-year run on trends instead of the several decades of this recent technological renaissance?

Hmmm...two wave tables and two analog oscillators? Has the analogue resurgence peaked? Is it time for new and interesting developments with digital...again? Will the analogue market plummet...again? Perhaps we'll experience a five-year run on trends instead of the several decades of this recent technological renaissance?

The answer is hybrid... keep the good things from both analogue and digital and unite them

Like styles, it'll keep as it's been for a while now - all generally concurrent. (Or not.)

To me, the wild card is computing. (As discussed here.) But to me, the day computing supplants purpose-built all-in-one machines for the majority is far off.

Based on the track record, this X will be interesting & useful. It will be too simple for some; not enough of something for others. But, I feel like I can rely on the likelihood it's gonna have a good composite of fundamentals that'll make it a fun, cohesive, musical performance instrument. And compelling for its time. Smart move.

Those sounds I can do without. Why is everybody all of a sudden lost in space ?

I'd say it's not about the sounds per se (after al, what can you say about the sounds of any synth in a demo that lasts under a minute?), it's about the prospects of the kinds of manipulations you can do and real-time control of them. And...

Appears to be something hybrid with sampling options. A bit like a Nord wave maybe.

Yes, sample manipulation is cool, I think it's one reason the Nord Wave has so many fans (though I guess not enough for Nord to keep it in production), and is a really nice aspect of the synth in the Nord Stage 2/3. There aren't too many synths that are geared to do this kind of thing. Studiologic Sledge, I think. Or on a whole different level of sample manipulation, the Roland V-Synths. I'm curious to see what this new DSI will do.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Whether you're a fan of his products or not, Dave Smith is killing the game right now.

The only bone I have to pick with certain DSI offerings is the lack of being able to get to patches quickly. Deal-breaker in a live performance. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

You lost me on the 15 keys Z. But we really don't know very much at this point including oscillator/instrument assignment to mono/stereo channel architecture, feedback paths and maybe a few other goodies offered by the Polyevolver. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely excited about this.

You lost me on the 15 keys Z. But we really don't know very much at this point including oscillator/instrument assignment to mono/stereo channel architecture, feedback paths and maybe a few other goodies offered by the Polyevolver. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely excited about this.

Lol, I meant I'd like a 76-key version, ideally.

But yeah, I once played the PEK at dB's place and it was super-nice. If some of that mojo makes it back into this thing, I'm definitely interested. If it adds rompler capabilities or user sampling, OMG.