Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2924266 - 04/30/18 10:20 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: whitefang]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Re: Gibson auto-tuners

And now Gibson is suing Tronical.

www.musicradar.com/news/gibson-to-sue-tr...relations-stunt

GP Island
#2924269 - 04/30/18 10:30 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
There are always two sides to a story. I hope Gibson prevails as the product did not make the big splash that Tronical expected. Thus it didn't perform in the market place and I think Tronical just wants to get paid anyway... cool

Edited by Larryz (04/30/18 10:31 AM)

#2924286 - 04/30/18 11:47 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Kind of what I suggested a while back, that the product line failed on its own merits, or lack thereof, and now the only way to make money is to try and sue Gibson? Gibson's response seems to be, "If you'd held up your end of the bargain, we both might have made money!" This is starting to sound like an argument between two drunks . . .

http://www.novparolo.com

#2924301 - 04/30/18 01:07 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Quote:
This is starting to sound like an argument between two drunks . . .

...in a bar that’s on fire.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2924306 - 04/30/18 01:23 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Quote:
This is starting to sound like an argument between two drunks . . .

...in a bar that’s on fire.

LMAO

#2924428 - 05/01/18 06:36 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: whitefang]
Kenji13 Offline

Loc: NY
I have never used robotic tuner, yet. Though turning the guitar is like a meditation for me before playing the guitar, but I am sure it is very helpful device.

#2924433 - 05/01/18 06:54 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Kenji13]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Welcome Aboard Kenji13! I love my little snap-on tuner. cool

#2924786 - 05/02/18 10:42 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: whitefang]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Today's news (May 2, 2018)

8 forward-thinking acoustic guitars that use alternative tonewoods
By Rob Laing 7 hours ago

https://www.musicradar.com/news/8-forward-thinking-acoustic-guitars-that-use-alternative-tonewoods

----------------------

Epiphone unveils Jason Hook M-4 Explorer signature guitar
By Michael Astley-Brown (Total Guitar) 7 hours agoGuitars

No let up in new models despite Gibson bankruptcy

Despite parent company Gibson filing for bankruptcy, it seems it’s business for usual for Epiphone - on the same day the guitar giant handed over its papers, Epi announced the Ltd Ed M-4 Explorer for session player and Five Finger Death Punch guitarist Jason Hook.

Besides Hook’s distinctive M-4 Sherman graphics, there are a number of interesting tweaks throughout the model, including a deeper upper body cutaway for easier upper-fret access, and an angled scarf across the top of the body to provide an arm rest.

A Custom SlimTaper profile neck features a 12” radius

Granadilla fingerboard, while two Seymour Duncan humbuckers provide the tones: a Vintage ’59 in the neck and JB in the bridge - there are volume controls for each pickup and a master tone.

Each model comes with a gigbag and Certificate of Authenticity.

There’s no info on price or availability yet, but assuming guitar production continues as normal, we won’t have long to wait - for now, Epiphone has all the specs.

----------------------------

Fender’s Parallel Universe expands with launch of American Elite Telecaster HSS guitar
By Michael Astley-Brown (Total Guitar, Guitarist) 6 hours agoGuitars

Limited-edition model packs Shawbucker bridge pickup

#2924830 - 05/02/18 01:52 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: DocPate]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My dad drove an M4 Sherman Tank; I'd like to see that Guitar, not sure I'd buy it.

#2924935 - 05/03/18 04:24 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
cool
Wonder if it's pick-ups are on a "turret"?

Anyway, as I stated elsewhere, I get a "certificate error" when clicking on that link, so I'll have to take y'all's word for anything. frown
Whitefang

#2924953 - 05/03/18 06:37 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Don't worry Fang, the link is not about the Sherman electric, it is on 8 different tone woods used on some acoustic guitars... cool

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSJHEGCHSig--gibson-jason-hook-m-4-sherman-explorer-signed <---try this one!

Edited by Larryz (05/03/18 06:40 AM)

#2924964 - 05/03/18 07:20 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Don't worry Fang, the link is not about the Sherman electric, it is on 8 different tone woods used on some acoustic guitars... cool

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSJHEGCHSig--gibson-jason-hook-m-4-sherman-explorer-signed <---try this one!

Ah, the tank image is a cartoon on the case, the Guitar itself . . . nothing I'd get excited about.

#2924978 - 05/03/18 07:52 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 "no reason to get excited". It does have M4 Sherman engraved in the truss rod cover...I still don't get what that "scarf arm" carved into the front with a piece of plastic wire cover is supposed to be for? I could see a whammy storage if it had a whammy! Also, on the graphics there should be 3 up and 3 down if you're going to put a star in the middle...not my cup of tea either. Maybe a Jason Hook fan would find it cool (especially a signed one)... cool

Edited by Larryz (05/03/18 07:54 AM)

#2925034 - 05/03/18 10:15 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
A dramatically ugly signature model from a guitarist I've never heard of, in a band I'v never heard of. I'd be curious to see what Gibson's balance sheet looks like for this POS.

#2925951 - 05/08/18 10:47 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: whitefang]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Ex-KISS Guitarist VINNIE VINCENT Addresses Rumors About His Gender Identity

May 7, 2018

Ex-KISS Guitarist VINNIE VINCENT Addresses Rumors About His Gender Identity
Former KISS guitarist Vinnie Vincent has addressed rumors about his gender identity.

In recent years, Vincent has been the subject of wild online speculation, including that he has been cross-dressing and that he has undergone a sex change. In addition, Vincent was the focus of a 2017 Swedish TV documentary called "KISS Och Gitarristen Som Försvann" ("KISS And The Guitarist Who Disappeared") which apparently tried, unsuccessfully, to track Vinnie down and get him to sit down for an interview. The filmmakers also brought up the rumor that the musician was living his life as a woman, although the subject was reportedly left open-ended.

During a brand new interview with Greg Schmitt of WESU's syndicated radio show "Noize In The Attic", Vinnie finally responded to the Internet chatter about his sexuality but declined to answer the question directly, explaining that he wanted to keep a mystique about the subject.

Asked if there is any truth to the reports that he is living his life as a woman, the guitarist said (hear audio below): "Not that I know of. I don't know where they came up with this stuff… But see, if I address that, then the mystique is gone. See, everybody loves the mystique. I think they love the mystique, because they don't know. So maybe I'll say, 'I'll let you guys decide,' but then everyone is still talking.

"I get mistaken all the time for something else, but what can I do?" he added. "So when somebody… you correct 'em, and they go, 'I don't understand.' So they go, 'Well…' 'Then I won't correct you.' So maybe it goes that way."

Vinnie went on to say that, up until recently, he "had no idea" that a film crew from Sweden was attempting to find him and make a documentary about him. "Because no one contacted me, no one told me," he said. "I don't go on the Internet typing in my name and wondering what's going on with me, 'cause I don't do that. I had other problems that were going on in my life at the time, so to go finding out what anybody was saying about me, I don't know… And I wasn't interested at that time.

"Somebody, just a month ago, sent me an e-mail saying, 'I'm from Sweden. So how does it feel…?' It was the same question — almost the same question [as the one you asked me]," he continued. "And he said, 'How does it feel to know that a film crew from another country came to America to look for you, and it became a Swedish documentary? And they couldn't find you. And that we don't know if it's true that you were some girl going into a bar?' And I'm thinking, 'What is this about?' I still haven't seen it. But I actually wanna see this to see what they thought they found."

Last month, Vinnie confirmed that he was planning to write and publish his autobiography, which he said would contain "all the real answers — the in-depth answers to everything." He also said that he has already found "a book writer" help him put together the autobiography and has vowed to speak with him "on very deep levels" about all the things he has experienced during his life.

Vincent, who gave his his first public interview in more than 20 years in January at the Atlanta KISS Expo 2018, hopes to complete his autobiography "within a year."

Vinnie joined KISS in 1982, replacing Ace Frehley. As the "Ankh Warrior," he toured with the group in support of "Creatures Of The Night", on which he played lead guitar on six songs prior to becoming an official member of the band. From there, KISS wrote and released "Lick It Up" — their first album without makeup — in 1983, a recording on which Vincent co-wrote eight of 10 songs, including the title track, which remains a staple of the group's live performances to this day.

Despite the album's success, Vincent was fired by KISS after the "Lick It Up" touring cycle came to an end, allegedly due to a dispute over both the terms of his employment contract with the band and royalties. From there, Vincent founded VINNIE VINCENT INVASION, which recorded two albums.

In 1992, Vincent re-teamed with KISS principals Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley to write three songs for their acclaimed album "Revenge", including the record's first two singles, "Unholy" and "I Just Wanna". Their relationship quickly soured once again, however. Four years later, Vincent released a solo EP, "Euphoria", which featured vocals by former VVI singer Fleischman and included material from sessions recorded around 1990. Soon after that, Vincent vanished from the public eye and remained off the grid for more than two decades

#2926082 - 05/09/18 04:25 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: DocPate]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Meh, well, if it concerns KISS, I really couldn't care less.
Whitefang

#2926481 - 05/10/18 08:22 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Larryz]
Kenji13 Offline

Loc: NY
Thanks, Larryz!!

#2926491 - 05/10/18 10:27 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Kenji13]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

thu

#2926579 - 05/11/18 12:41 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

NEW 2018 LIMITED EDITION AMERICAN ELITE TELECASTER® HSS

Model #: 0176052731

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-g...0176052731.html

#2926584 - 05/11/18 01:15 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: DocPate]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: DocPate

Yeah, well, after mentioning that all you kids need to get off my lawn right now, I'll just say that there are those who believe that a Telecaster is a guitar equipped with 2 single coil pickups, at the bridge & neck. Period. And didn't I tell you to get off my lawn!

#2926592 - 05/11/18 02:41 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
SF, that ignores one of the most iconic gtrs = the country-inspired neck humbucker mod.

We now return you to yer regularly scheduled programming.

#2926598 - 05/11/18 04:01 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
SF, that ignores one of the most iconic gtrs = the country-inspired neck humbucker mod.

Why, yes, it does.

#2926631 - 05/12/18 04:55 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

rolleyes

Next thing you know someone will complain because it comes in something OTHER than BEIGE! freak
Whitefang

#2926646 - 05/12/18 08:35 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: DocPate

@ Doc, I like that Tele in a lot of ways but I'm not sold on the pickup ideas. I like the contoured body top and back. The old Teles were much the flat earth concept which is one reason I liked the Strat better. I also like the Strat style saddles and stop bridge set up. I also like the 5 way with the S1 switch on the tone knob so you can play all 3 and/or kick the front and rear pups together. It's basically the old Nashville Tele concept without the Strat pup in the middle position. The American made Nashville Tele is more to my liking than the original.

I would have left the stock Tele pup in the rear and forgot about the humbucker in the rear or in the front. I would have went with two Strat pups middle and front and captured the phase sound for more of a country rock (which is why they came out with the Nashville version decades upon decades ago. A stock Tele up front would be fine too. I like the compound radius and neck concept too. It's a great looking axe but I would have to have mine custom made with regard to the pups... cool

#2926657 - 05/12/18 10:12 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Gotta say...lots of other guitar makers out there, some doing Tele variants just as described.

#2926677 - 05/12/18 01:23 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I remember a Yamaha model I saw in the mid-90's with a Tele-style body, and two HB's. Can't recall the name or number . . .

Call me an old f&@%, but much of the Tele's distinctive tone comes from the pickups, doesn't it? I know, session players liked being able to switch tones without having to switch Guitars, and that's probably how it started.

Still, if I were looking for a Tele, I'd be looking for THIS!

#2926714 - 05/12/18 06:54 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Call me an old f&@%, but much of the Tele's distinctive tone comes from the pickups, doesn't it? I know, session players liked being able to switch tones without having to switch Guitars, and that's probably how it started.

You can call me an old f&@% too. I think the two humbuckers on a solid body format is covered pretty well with SGs, LPs, Explorers, Firebirds, etc. The Tele is distinctly different from those & the legions of ESPs, Ibanez's, Schecters, Charvels, etc. And that's a good thing.

Quote:
Still, if I were looking for a Tele, I'd be looking for THIS!

That's the starting point. I have nothing against modernity, & I would go with individual saddles, a rosewood board, belly cut & forearm bevel, & binding. But two single coils is what makes this a classic, & a completely distinctive voice.

#2926722 - 05/12/18 08:25 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have 2 Teleclones: one with a tele pickup in the neck and a Charlie Christian in the bridge, the second with a bridge HB and a HB-sized P90 in the neck.

Reverend, one of my favorite companies, does one with a SSS setup. Their Buckshot model-evolved from the Telecaster body- has a Tele bridge pickup and a FillerTron-inspired mini-HB in the neck.

Dean Zelinsky Private Label lets you order theirs in any pickup configuration you want.

#2926724 - 05/12/18 08:56 PM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Dean Zelinsky also has major quality control issues, as well as customer service issues, so I'd steer clear.

#2926757 - 05/13/18 07:35 AM Re: Recent Guitar News [Re: Scott Fraser]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Interesting interview with the inventor of the humbucker from Reverb
https://reverb.com/news/interview-seth-l...-bacons-archive

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose