Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2921682 - 04/16/18 09:05 AM Sweetwater virtual piano shootout
SteinwayB Offline

I wonder if anyone else had a chance to see this.
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/virtual-piano-shootout-sound-samples/
I thought the Spectrasonics pianos to sound best, however it could have been the mic perspective (sounds close-miced). I have never found those demos to be particularly helpful, however. I have Ivory I and II and found those demos to be amazing, but I don't like playing them. The timbre of the pianos are very good but the "playability" has always been disappointing. I have used multiple controllers and high end amplification (RCF TT08a's) and have tweaked velocity curves and EQ. I always go back to my CP4's CFX dark sound. I wish there was a way to audition Spectrasonics as I would hate to drop almost $400 and have it sit on a shelf. I wish Ivory was in the shootout for comparison. Also would be interested in hearing Hammersmith.

Edited by SteinwayB (04/16/18 09:06 AM)

KC Island
#2921691 - 04/16/18 09:33 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: SteinwayB]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: SteinwayB

Yep.

#2921692 - 04/16/18 09:45 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: Sven Golly]
SteinwayB Offline

Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

Yep.

That link is to the digital piano shootout, not virtual piano shootout.

#2921693 - 04/16/18 09:47 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: SteinwayB]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia, US
Thanks for sharing this.

The MIDI file would have been nice to have for home tryouts. I have Addictive Keys and would have liked to hear it play back this material.

And boy does the material matter! For example, I thought Keyscape sounded weirdly compressed on the first example, whereas the Galaxy II Steinway sounded really nice.

The Pianoteq examples haven't fully escaped that synthetic quality one octave up from middle C, and still sounds better on mellower material than bright pop stuff.

The biggest surprise was how well the Arturia example stacked up. I'm actually playing it more and more at home, and prefer to Pteq in certain cases.

#2921694 - 04/16/18 09:51 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: johnchop]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

What these audio comparisons leave out is how they dynamicly respond to actual human playing technique. So for me as a player it is a rather useless test just to listen.

#2921695 - 04/16/18 09:52 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: SteinwayB]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
Was going to post the same thing as the OP, but Sven is always right. Usuallllly. Almost. Probably is this time, and I missed it.

Yes, listened last night. I've pretty much heard them all over the last month or so... can't say I've found anything more versatile and higher quality than VI Labs Ravenscroft, and I would have been interested to hear True Keys American in the mix.

Can't get with Pianoteq, for the same reason as johnchop, having downloaded & scrapped the demo many times. But I'm hopeful their CPU-sparing, endlessly tweakable model will work for me in their next upgrade.

#2921701 - 04/16/18 10:06 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: drawback]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like Garritan Abbey Road for Em Jam. But I liked
Pianoteq 6 Pro for the Jazz Ballad.

#2921702 - 04/16/18 10:07 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: SteinwayB]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
I wish there was a way to audition Spectrasonics as I would hate to drop almost $400 and have it sit on a shelf.

Those crazy programmers at Spectrasonics could probably sample a fart & make it sound like a Stradivarius. I can't imagine anyone having anything Spectrasonics and not feeling like they got their money's worth many times over... HOWEVER... piano is only a small part of what Keyscape does, so make sure you know what you're getting.

Edited by mcgoo (04/16/18 05:16 PM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#2921716 - 04/16/18 11:12 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: mcgoo]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
I’m personally not gelling with Keyscape’s acoustic piano. The quality of the recording is great, but it's a letdown for me in terms of playability, which is odd because I consider that one of Spectrasonics’ core strengths.

I do like the EP’s and vintage digital stuff. Those work very well for me.

Regarding the shootout, I wonder what criteria where used to select these participants? Some of the best-regarded libraries are not in this comparison, I wonder why.

#2921717 - 04/16/18 11:12 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: mcgoo]
Bobby Simons Offline

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Listening only through my iMac speakers, I'm favoring the Garritan Abbey Rd CFX and the Spectronics Mellow, today. Let's see what tomorrow brings. I'll break out some headphones.

#2921721 - 04/16/18 11:39 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: Bobby Simons]
SteinwayB Offline

I listened to all of them again and to me it was hands down Keyscape Classical Piano but as Zephonic mentioned, the playability factor may be problematic. Again, I wonder if mic placement was a factor. All of the other pianos sounded distant; Keyscape sounded much more intimate. So I doubt we are comparing apples to apples since Garritan CFX which seems to be very popular (and a lot cheaper than Keyscape) has many mic positions and I doubt close mic was used in the shootout.

#2921731 - 04/16/18 12:16 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: SteinwayB]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Yes, a shootout such as this provides little more than an introduction to some of the virtual pianos that are currently available. There are many ways to sculpt tone to your liking in most of these products, and it would be overwhelming to try to demonstrate those abilities within the confines of a shootout.

Also, I assume the examples they provided were limited to just the products that Sweetwater sells. Why steer anyone to the competition?

If you're serious about finding a virtual piano that fits your needs, the bottom line is that you're going to have to do a lot of research. Sweetwater's virtual piano shootout can certainly be a helpful part of that research, but it's far from comprehensive.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2921739 - 04/16/18 01:29 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: SteinwayB]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

Yep.

That link is to the digital piano shootout, not virtual piano shootout.

Oops, you are correct. Apologies for the confusion. smile

#2921926 - 04/17/18 11:44 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: Sven Golly]
Iconoclast Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
I'm in the market for this exact thing but haven't been able to try many of these instruments.

I've found that when I hear other people play them they sound great but when I play them the lack of proper dynamics or pedal/sustain instantly colors what I'm feeling.

I play in a band with a guy who uses both the EXS24 pianos in mainstage and the Native instrument pianos. They sound persuasive when he plays them but when I play his rig I really notice the lack of dynamics and some of the pedal/sustain behavior that just doesn't match the pianos I have on my Forte or Nord.

Interested in the Spectrasonics stuff but reluctant to drop $300+ without ever touching the instrument.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

#2921931 - 04/17/18 12:04 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: Iconoclast]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I have noticed that very thing. I started with the Logic pianos (esx 24) and they sounded fine in recordings, but I didn't like playing them.

Then I got addictive Keys, and that was an improvement. Still didn't really "inspire" me.

I then picked up Garritan CFX Lite when it was on sale, and it's yet another step up in dynamics and playability IMO. It sounds a bit better than AK in a mix, but the main thing is while I'm playing; it makes me enjoy playing. My choices are a bit more limited than some because I have an older machine with a slow built-in hard drive, and also because I don't like iLok.

#2921945 - 04/17/18 01:30 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: Stokely]
vanderSchoot Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The Netherlands
As a semi pro these type of comparisons are totally lost on me.
Besides the obvious flaws mentioned by others, my biggest complaints are directed towards the actual participants.
Who makes such a collection that do not include some of the best recent piano vst’s ? And where is the Bechstein vst, Waves Mercury, Ravenscroft, Hammersmith , Ivory studio grands ,production voices etc.
Do they not know at ‘sweetwater’ or lack the money to buy certain top vst’s ?
But it gets even worse than not adding those libraries that are out for a while and have proven themselves......there is a NEXT generation that needs to be mentioned !

I bought the Cinesamples Cinepiano released in march 2018.
It is absolutely gorgious and i forget to play the Ravenscroft and Garritan CFX.
It is slightly behind in playability compared to the outstanding Ravenscroft and CFX, but makes up for it through organic and warm sound+superb parameters like pitchbend controled blending between various mix positions.not found in other libraries.

Then there is my coming purchase ‘light and sound’ grand piano (Steinway C) that also kicks ass and makes ( together with the CinePiano) other Steinway renderings from Ivory, Galaxy, Pianoteq (model D ) and SC/Hammersmith (own the pro version ) pale by comparison soundwise.

Sorry for the rant, but it puzzles me that most people in the industry know so little about what is available....... it really seems that way.....
Come on.....what an extremely crippled comparison is that.....

Edited by vanderSchoot (04/17/18 02:28 PM)

#2921952 - 04/17/18 01:58 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: vanderSchoot]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia, US
I didn't see that Sweetwater positioned that shoot-out as the end-all-be-all, just a sampling of things they sell. Plenty of OTHER libraries they sell that aren't on there.

And keep in mind there were some tweaks to volume/reverb to make them comparable. I'm sure that took some time.

I saw it as a nice service regardless. If nothing else, it allowed for some pretty direct A/Bing against piano libraries I own and some I'd never considered.

#2921957 - 04/17/18 02:13 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: johnchop]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
It's easy to dismiss this stuff but there were people that put time & effort into this. I can't see these sound examples as the main decider in a purchase decision, but possibly a way to narrow the field by identifying piano libraries whose sound you don't like from the get-go. I would like to get my hands on a controller and give any library a bit of a workout before buying – however oftentimes that's not possible, and you're not gonna be able to return software like you can a DP. So these recordings, plus some informed commentary from the experts here, might have to do. I guess I'm lucky that I like my ancient NI piano. Nothing I heard on these examples has made me want to try any other.

#2921958 - 04/17/18 02:17 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: johnchop]
vanderSchoot Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: johnchop
I didn't see that Sweetwater positioned that shoot-out as the end-all-be-all, just a sampling of things they sell. Plenty of OTHER libraries they sell that aren't on there.

And keep in mind there were some tweaks to volume/reverb to make them comparable. I'm sure that took some time.

I saw it as a nice service regardless. If nothing else, it allowed for some pretty direct A/Bing against piano libraries I own and some I'd never considered.

Well.....sweetwater claims ‘ piano vst’s improved drastically the last decade’ and ‘we installed a big collection and we listened to them all ‘
But they fail to present many of the biggest improved piano vst’s and very best recent piano vst’s.

If i was in the market for a better or first piano vst i’m inclined to think they gave a pretty accurate summary because of the language/wording they chose.
Fact is that apart from the Garritan CFX and pianoteq ( only because of playability) the rest is second and third rate material ( althaugh the Keyscape Yamaha has a certain sound that some like very much..... but keyscape is so much more than a Yamaha)

I think as usuall there is a certain marketing behind such a shoot out, ......otherwise i cannot explain the absense of all those top vst’s i mentioned in relation to the very bold statements of sweetwater at the beginning.
Maybe they have to many toontrack copies lying around..... cool

Edited by vanderSchoot (04/17/18 02:18 PM)

#2921968 - 04/17/18 02:45 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: Reezekeys]
vanderSchoot Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
It's easy to dismiss this stuff but there were people that put time & effort into this. I can't see these sound examples as the main decider in a purchase decision, but possibly a way to narrow the field by identifying piano libraries whose sound you don't like from the get-go. I would like to get my hands on a controller and give any library a bit of a workout before buying – however oftentimes that's not possible, and you're not gonna be able to return software like you can a DP. So these recordings, plus some informed commentary from the experts here, might have to do. I guess I'm lucky that I like my ancient NI piano. Nothing I heard on these examples has made me want to try any other.

Of course it is pretty obnoxious when people complain towards others that put time and effort into a shoot out......i understand that ! Again sorry if i came accross this way.
Having said that, sweetwater has personal interrest too, because they sell and make a profit out of music gear.
Listen to this and tell me what you think.....

This is what can be purchased now !!

#2922038 - 04/18/18 05:28 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: vanderSchoot]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Thanks vanderSchoot. I checked out the two videos you posted. I like the Light and Sound Concert Grand and will buy it. The piano they choose to sample is great and I love the various mic positions and UI. The CinePiano didn't grab me as much, but it's really a matter of taste and intended use.

I have Pianoteq, Hammersmith, Ivory II, and Ravenscroft. Lately I've been favoring Ivory II American Concert D. It will be interesting to see how Light and Sound compares.

#2922099 - 04/18/18 08:34 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: vanderSchoot]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Originally Posted By: vanderSchoot
Originally Posted By: Reezekeys

Of course it is pretty obnoxious when people complain towards others that put time and effort into a shoot out......i understand that ! Again sorry if i came accross this way.

My little screed was not directed specifically at you! I know it's easy to criticize, I do it myself sometimes but I'm trying to be more aware these days.

Having said that, sweetwater has personal interrest too, because they sell and make a profit out of music gear.

Very true!

Listen to this and tell me what you think.....

This is what can be purchased now !!

They both sound very good to me. However I am probably not the target market. 99% of my VI piano work is live. I need something that works coming out of my two QSC speakers. That means a piano sample with not too many resonances – I find that interacts with the speaker cabinet and muddies the sound somewhat. And certainly, no room reflections in the samples. My speakers are projecting into a room that's going to add its own reflections so I like to start off with a dry sound. I want close-miked because my speakers are already a meter or two away from me and it makes no sense to press keys on my controller and hear the sound of a piano that's farther away than that. The very old Native Instruments New York Piano fulfills all these requirements for me. I had the chance to use their newer piano (the "Grandeur") and while it has more things to tweak, I could not get a satisfactory live sound from it. In the studio I'm sure it's great, as are many of these. In a production environment the multiple mic positions are a good feature. The continuous pedaling, re-pedalling, etc., that's all great if you do classical music but I play r&b and jazz and haven't felt the need for those features. I'm only talking about what's working for me right now, I'm open to change so you never know – but at this point I'm very happy with my current setup and have been for a long time.

#2922104 - 04/18/18 09:04 AM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: Al Quinn]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Al Quinn
Thanks vanderSchoot. I checked out the two videos you posted. I like the Light and Sound Concert Grand and will buy it. The piano they choose to sample is great and I love the various mic positions and UI. The CinePiano didn't grab me as much, but it's really a matter of taste and intended use.

Yes, thanks. I didn't hear anything spectacular in Sweetwater's collection, and I agree with Al on the L&S (after finally getting through the amazingly dreary video the fourth time) but not owning the full version of Kontakt it's not in my budget. Ravenscroft is absolutely my favourite; I'm on the fence with EastWest Steinway and am more inclined toward TrueKeys American.

#2922156 - 04/18/18 12:17 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: drawback]
Bobby Simons Offline

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Damn, the Cinepiano sounds unbelievable. My problem is that I've been reluctant to get involved with the KONTAKT environment within MainStage. I know that they used to not play together all that well - is this no longer the case?

#2922179 - 04/18/18 01:13 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: Bobby Simons]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
CinePiano sounds nice, but my experience with PianoInBlue has made me skeptical.

#2922182 - 04/18/18 01:18 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: Bobby Simons]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Bobby Simons
Damn, the Cinepiano sounds unbelievable. My problem is that I've been reluctant to get involved with the KONTAKT environment within MainStage. I know that they used to not play together all that well - is this no longer the case?

I use The Grandeur now and then inside Mainstage, and it works fine. You just need to make sure both the NI interface and MS aren't trying to do the same things with regards to midi clock, etc..

I also use some Kontakt sounds from the "Factory Selection" on a couple of my patches in MS.

#2922189 - 04/18/18 01:31 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: EscapeRocks]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
My go to, and most used Piano in my Mainstage rig is the Pianoteq 6 Steinway D.

Just like the guy who did the review said, it is all subjective.

Setup with my Casio PX-5S as controller, and really dialing in the velocity curve in the PianoTeq program, I have a great finger/ear connection.
My tweaks to the setting have it sitting just right in the live mix in my band setting.

For additional effects outside of how I set up the piano in PianoTeq, I use other third party software, or even from Mainstage itself.

As far as the shootout, they all sound great, to me.

#2922207 - 04/18/18 03:47 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: Al Quinn]
vanderSchoot Offline
Gold Member

I have Pianoteq, Hammersmith, Ivory II, and Ravenscroft. Lately I've been favoring Ivory II American Concert D. It will be interesting to see how Light and Sound compares.

I have Garritan CFX full,the Hammersmith pro,Ravenscroft, Grand Rhapsody and the Cinepiano......and played the Ivory package and American grand and NI komplete 11 over at friends many times.

For me one of the most important aspects is the actual grand that was sampled in the first place and the recorded room in the more distant mic positions.
Althaugh the Ravenscroft plays like a dream i don’t totally love the actual grand like i do the Garritan and Cinepiano.
The Hammersmith is a Steinway D, but it lacks body in the mid and higher registers and the recording room itself is ’boxy’.....for the lack of a better description. The CinePiano has the fat tone, body and beautifull Sony recording stage sound that makes it special.
The same applies to the Abbey road Garritan CFX. The room makes any additional reverb obsolete for my taste.

Of course very pesonal, but i like it when the default settings put a smile on your face from the very first moment.
I never use presets , but create my own.....and a very good default starting point is indeed helpfull.
I am going to make room and delete the Ravenscroft, Hammersmith and Grand Rhapsody.
I did with my numerous Rhodes vst’s after i purchased the Scarbee EP88s. It is capable of any Rhodes sound in the highest quality ..... a shame i invested to much money in other libraries , but i am extremely glad that few are totally living up towards the expectations i have from a vst.
I have the same warm feelings towards B5 V2.02..... only thing missing is the ultimate wurli library....althaugh that acoustic samples wurli sounds like it could be that special one for me.

I learned a lesson lately, that less is more ..... i do hope i can keep that promiss to my wallet blush

#2922226 - 04/18/18 06:01 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: vanderSchoot]
RoadHousePiano Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY

I have Garritan CFX full,the Hammersmith pro,Ravenscroft, Grand Rhapsody and the Cinepiano......and played the Ivory package and American grand and NI komplete 11 over at friends many times.

For me one of the most important aspects is the actual grand that was sampled in the first place and the recorded room in the more distant mic positions.
Althaugh the Ravenscroft plays like a dream i don’t totally love the actual grand like i do the Garritan and Cinepiano.
The Hammersmith is a Steinway D, but it lacks body in the mid and higher registers and the recording room itself is ’boxy’.....for the lack of a better description. The CinePiano has the fat tone, body and beautifull Sony recording stage sound that makes it special.
The same applies to the Abbey road Garritan CFX. The room makes any additional reverb obsolete for my taste.

Of course very pesonal, but i like it when the default settings put a smile on your face from the very first moment.
I never use presets , but create my own.....and a very good default starting point is indeed helpfull.
I am going to make room and delete the Ravenscroft, Hammersmith and Grand Rhapsody.
I did with my numerous Rhodes vst’s after i purchased the Scarbee EP88s. It is capable of any Rhodes sound in the highest quality ..... a shame i invested to much money in other libraries , but i am extremely glad that few are totally living up towards the expectations i have from a vst.
I have the same warm feelings towards B5 V2.02..... only thing missing is the ultimate wurli library....althaugh that acoustic samples wurli sounds like it could be that special one for me.

I learned a lesson lately, that less is more ..... i do hope i can keep that promiss to my wallet blush

100% on the acoustic samples, Wurly. The only thing close is the Sonnicoutoure.

#2922231 - 04/18/18 06:20 PM Re: Sweetwater virtual piano shootout [Re: RoadHousePiano]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

What make & model is the CinePiano? I could only see it's a 9 footer and where it was recorded. I have given this another listen, this time all the audio demos on their website (forget the walk through) and they are stunning!

CinePiano is now a must-have. Thanks for the link and persistence, vanderSchoot.

Edited by drawback (04/18/18 07:35 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner