Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Seven

I am impressed by the latest vids but I am not a fan

of the TP100 at all.....

I would rather get a root canal without novacaine, while sitting on a bed of rusty nails in the dentist chair than play piano on a TP/100 action, but that's just me.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crumar v. Nord EPs is no contest. Crumar houses the Nord. The SV-1 is better than the Nord. As a package the Nord Electro is solid but the EP's are not it's strong suit. Jack of all trades and all that.

2010 called. They want their 5MB clav sample back.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

For me is becoming more and more important the simplicity at gigs. Besides my playing it means that the less hooking up (is that the word) I have to do the happier I am. So Nord + Crumar seems to be best and easieast solution for me now.

For a while ago, I used to gig with Yamaha CP5, Hammond XK3c with Leslie 3300 and later Vent2, Receptor 2 Pro to cover all superior-imitating sounds. And yes, of course I had also my accordeon with me. Then I realized that even the sound was quite perfect, Im not skilled enough to control everything. So, it formed too much stress for me. Yes, just me:)

So, now I think my audience will be as happy with Nord and Crumar than before with my rig that made me stressed out:)

Maybe I just wanted to say, that this is good way of compromising thigs.

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

Crumar v. Nord EPs is no contest. Crumar houses the Nord. The SV-1 is better than the Nord. As a package the Nord Electro is solid but the EP's are not it's strong suit. Jack of all trades and all that.

Sorry, but i must contradict here. For one week i had my Nord Stage and the Crumar Mojo 61 side by side here and i found the Nord Rhodes (espacially the newer Nefertiti sample) and Wurlitzer 2 sample more dynamic and overall better then in the Mojo. As much as i liked the details which you can here in the physical modeled Mojo sounds, for live on stage i would prefer my Nords all the time. I have also a Rhodes MkII and a Vintage Vibe EP which i take on stage and the Nords for my taste are still the best compromise to emulate eps live, Kurzweil Forte included. For me Nord still has the best finger-to-sound-connection.The Rhodes tone of the Mojo was very detailed, as i wrote yet, and the resonance ist great and very natural, but the tone for itself was less similar to my real Rhodes then the Nefertiti Nord, which you can tweak very effective with the eq there, not to mention the great effects which you can tweak on the fly. Even the Hammond sound, which is great in the Mojo, is not light years ahead to the Nord. At the end of the day its primarily a matter of taste but not of better or worse. So the Crumar Seven as well is a nice alternative which one can choose, but nothing which blows everything else out of the water.

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

For one week i had my Nord Stage and the Crumar Mojo 61 side by side here and i found the Nord Rhodes (espacially the newer Nefertiti sample) and Wurlitzer 2 sample more dynamic and overall better then in the Mojo...For me Nord still has the best finger-to-sound-connection

While not at all intending to discount the legitimacy of preferring Nord's EPs to Crumar's (as you say, it's a matter of taste), I wonder how much of a factor the action was, i.e. how you would have felt if you had compared the Mojo not to your hammer action Stage, but to your SW Electro 5D loaded with the same EP sounds. (Or for that matter, how you would have felt about the Crumar sounds if played from the Stage's hammer action.) Any chance you had a chance to try any of that as well?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I played the Mojo eps from the hammer action of my Stage and i played the Nord eps from the waterfall keybed of the Mojo (which is nice). Same result for me.

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

Its difficult for me to explain it in english, but for my taste all of the Nord sounds had more punch and i think that they sound better turned loud and cut better in a loud band.

I would rather get a root canal without novacaine, while sitting on a bed of rusty nails in the dentist chair than play piano on a TP/100 action, but that's just me.

I despise it for piano playing. I cannot figure out why it's so widely used.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Because Yamaha, Roland, Korg and Kawai don't sell their actions to other developers and Fatar's TP-100 is lighter than the TP-40 and better than anything from China like Medeli or Williams or what have you.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If you look at the post above yours you'll see that Frank Montis has a rebuttal argument for you. My impression is that it is not widely used, which is why most likely cannot drop into your local music store and play it, which is the only rational way to decide these things.

There are folks playing piano on unweighted Nord Electros, not because they prefer, but because they judge it to be a reasonable gigging compromise. That same thought process can lead one to decide TP100 is acceptable. Rather easily in my opinion.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I am impressed by the latest vids but I am not a fan

of the TP100 at all.....

I despise it for piano playing.

Getting back to something earlier in the thread, if you are ragging on the TP100, I think it would be helpful to know which you've tried, because many of us have noticed they don't all play the same. If I had only played the Artis, Aruria, and Numa Nano, I'd be with you guys. But I've also played it on the Dexibell and Numa Stage where, even if not among my favorites, I found it quite playable. So personally, even while no great fan of the TP100, I would not dismiss the Seven based on action without getting my hands on one.

2010 called. They want their 5MB clav sample back.

While I do wish they had release samples (despite the fact that presumably nobody in the audience would notice), I have to say that the clav plays really nicely from the NE5D with its quick release. The low release point was added in a Mojo61 update, I'm guessing the Seven has that as well, though partially countering my previous statement above, I would not be optimistic about clav being nicely responsive on any TP100, I think you'd want something inherently "snappier." I think a 3-sensor TP-40L (if there is such a thing) might be a good candidate for ideal clav action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

About the TP100: i am an happy owner of a NE5HP; i am not a great pianist, but i have a nice vertical Rameau, and at school i play a Steinway model B.

Yes, the TP100 is by far not the best action i play; but my dexterity level is low enough that the impact of the keybed on my playing is limited with respect to my natural limits; i play mostly EPs with it but sometime AP when i use it with the school group.

I choose the NE5HP as a compromise between multiple factors (in my case, portability, sound, keybed and real time sound tweakability), and i decided to handle the keybed by practicing to get used to it.

I cannot bring a VPC-1 or an MP11 on the Parisian metro :->. Even a CP-4 would be problematic for my use.

What i mean is that the different product represent different optimal points in the compromise space, depending on your skills and needs. I may understand that if you are a good pianist, using deeply all the nuance a good instrument provide you, you may rightly find the TP100 unacceptable; but there are many other cases where it become the (only) acceptable solution.

About the Seven, no opinion yet, i hope to find it soon in a Parisian music shop to try it out :->

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Sounds nice through phone:)

I'm pretty sure this is the sampled piano.

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

But here you can understand that the acoustic piano is good too
There is either too much pedal sustain or too much reverb applied to the acoustic piano. I found that with the sampled piano in the Gemini where I had to make a harp adjustment, it had to be significantly reduced. Here in the modeled piano (I'm assuming that it is the modeled one) it seems to be even more exaggerated than the sampled piano. You can really here it between the 45-50 second mark where the overtones are just not natural sounding, they have washed out the sound. Since I reduced the harp adjustment on mine it could be the reason this one sounds that way to me.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

You can really here it between the 45-50 second mark where the overtones are just not natural sounding

between 45-50 sec there is a pad in layer (than a delay effect too), so it is difficult to "capture" the piano overtones... :laugh:

(maybe the pad add frequencies, in this case)

The Vibes... I like! Max Tempia seems to get along well with the Seven!s action.

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The modeled Piano behaves very musically, lots if subtle dynamic characteristics

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I'm surprised, though is hard to tell from phone-recording. Have you made an update for sampled piano? Because in my Seven sampled piano sounds significantly more authentic than modeling.

Has anyone with a Seven worked on their AP with the Editor? When I look at the possibilities available [url:http://www.crumar.it/files/Crumar_Seven_Manual_ENG.pdf] Manual P32-33[/url] I dont understand how it couldnt be shaped to anyones satisfaction.

Here for the gear.

that was the modeled piano.

Max's video here of the modeled piano sounds much better than the demos posted a few weeks ago. Now they sound legit. Now there is no reason for anyone to hesitate on dropping the coin for the Seven.

And no, I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid. If I is was I'd be playing a Casio PX5 or Forte with a Legend Live running through a Ventilator amped up by a Spacestation. That's the Kool-Aid Man's rig.

Has anyone with a Seven worked on their AP with the Editor? When I look at the possibilities available [url:http://www.crumar.it/files/Crumar_Seven_Manual_ENG.pdf] Manual P32-33[/url] I dont understand how it couldnt be shaped to anyones satisfaction.

Id like to add that theres never been an instrument Ive owned that Ive been completely satisfied with out of the box. The potential has to be there in the first place, but before I buy anything I check out how editable & versatile it is. Seven ticks all the boxes.

Here for the gear.

And no, I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid. If I is was I'd be playing a....Forte with a Legend Live running through a Ventilator .... That's the Kool-Aid Man's rig.

I went with your "Kool-Aid Man's rig" with a Forte + Legend Live and even without the Ventilator, Crumar comes up way short of Forte in the stage piano category, in which the only area where it is competitive is in the Rhodes and Wurly sounds, although I think playing the Scarbee Rhodes set or event the Weisersounds and Purgatory Creek sounds on a TP/40 action in the Forte Flash RAM eats the playing experience of the TP/100 Seven for breakfast. I think the Mojo has the C/V done very well, but I'll otherwise take the Legend Live over Crumar any time.

Not sure why buying better quality instruments makes somebody the "Kool Aid Man", but I'm sure you will look cool onstage with it. Just not as cool as being onstage with a Fender Rhodes Mk1 Stage 73.