Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2921480 - 04/14/18 08:54 PM Sample Robot
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
I just ran across this. Has anyone ever heard of it or used it? It will automatically auto-sample your MIDI instrument.

http://www.samplerobot.com/was.htm

SampleRobot is able to digitize any kind of instrument. When cloning MIDI gear, SampleRobot even works completely on its own. Just connect your instrument via MIDI and audio with your computer. SampleRobot will then "suck out" the sounds from the unit. If you like you can clone a whole synthesizer sound bank in one go. The good thing is that you can export your hardware instrument as various software sampler formats after the sampling process. You can play your new virtual instrument as if you would play your real instrument. Of course, you can clone the attack velocity characteristics of your original instrument as well. SampleRobot also enables you to transfer acoustic instruments and other instruments without MIDI very easily to the digital domain. User friendly, speedy and high quality - that's SampleRobot.

Fully automated "Cloning" of MIDI instruments
Fully automated "Cloning" of virtual instruments
Semi-automated "Cloning" of instruments without MIDI
Instant access to all instrumental sounds via software samplers
Work in other studios or on stage without carrying equipment
Mobile composing on a laptop computer with all original "hardware sounds"
Instant play: no wiring, no repairs, no loss of sounds
Perfect "Total Recall" for every session
Play monophonic instruments polyphonically
Convert audio sampling CDs into directly playable software instruments
Professional loop editing and Auto-Loop processing with WaveRobot
Including powerful premium Multi-Samples from famous synthesizers
Best value for money
Very easy to use
Big time saver

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

KC Island
#2921485 - 04/14/18 10:38 PM Re: Sample Robot [Re: Synthaholic]
Nathanael_I Offline

I have it - it works as advertised. Auto looping mostly works - which is all that can be expected. Some sounds loop easily, some hardly at all - even with lots of manual work. I mostly don't loop. Hard drive space is cheap - even on SSD's. I just run samples longer than I would ever use and be done with it.

This is the best thing currently commercially available. Apple bought Keymatica many years ago, and they had the best program like this at that time. If you only need to sample for a Kronos, you can buy a Korg only version.

It saves a lot of time and does what it says. If you want to capture hardware synths in a format playable on Kontakt or a Kronos or something - this is your tool.

#2921496 - 04/15/18 03:22 AM Re: Sample Robot [Re: Nathanael_I]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
Originally Posted By: Nathanael_I
I have it - it works as advertised....

Glad to read this. I've been eyeing this the last few weeks since I bought a Kronos to replace my Laptop rig. There are a handful of things in Omnisphere, Kontakt and even my jv-2080 that I just can't get out of the Kronos.

#2921515 - 04/15/18 07:18 AM Re: Sample Robot [Re: mcgoo]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Extreme Sample Converter also does the same thing, though it is quite fiddly and I find it difficult to use. I have used it to autosample programs I've created in various VSTs to bring into my Nord.

#2921527 - 04/15/18 09:04 AM Re: Sample Robot [Re: Dr88s]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area

#2921536 - 04/15/18 09:36 AM Re: Sample Robot [Re: Nathanael_I]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Apple bought Keymatica many years ago, and they had the best program like this at that time.

Redmatica, and I believe that functionality is now included with Logic.

ETA: Another program of this type is Sampllt.

Edited by AnotherScott (04/15/18 09:41 AM)

#2921574 - 04/15/18 02:16 PM Re: Sample Robot [Re: AnotherScott]
Nathanael_I Offline

Yes! Redmatica. Thanks for catching that. I had their automapping program on my list and just never pulled the trigger. And then one day it was gone. There are still media composers who keep a computer around just to run that program.

#2921583 - 04/15/18 03:30 PM Re: Sample Robot [Re: AnotherScott]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Apple bought Keymatica many years ago, and they had the best program like this at that time.

Redmatica, and I believe that functionality is now included with Logic.

Close; it's bundled into Mainstage, not Logic. twothumbs

#2921758 - 04/16/18 02:35 PM Re: Sample Robot [Re: Sven Golly]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies. I think itís remarkable. There are a lot of old keyboards and racks I would love to have that arenít worth the time to do traditionally. Itís nice to know it actually works.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2921764 - 04/16/18 02:45 PM Re: Sample Robot [Re: Nathanael_I]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

I mostly don't loop. Hard drive space is cheap - even on SSD's. I just run samples longer than I would ever use and be done with it.

Seems like this would be ideal with old drum machines. I have an Alesis DMPro that has some beautiful drums but the unit drives me batty so I never use it.

#2949896 - Yesterday at 07:03 PM Re: Sample Robot [Re: Synthaholic]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
SampleRobot 6 Pro has been redesigned from the ground up to offer users a new sampling experience. The loop and transient editor WaveRobot has become the central part of the new modular graphical user interface. Sections can be pulled out of the dock and placed anywhere on the working screen(s). For the first time in the history of SampleRobot the new version 6 comes as a native macOS application in addition to the Windows 10 build. A lot of the improvements realized in SampleRobot 6 Pro are based on feedback from professional users and sound library developers.

New features of SampleRobot 6 Pro

Modular graphical user interface.
Integrated central WaveRobot loop and transient editor.
Native MacOS and Windows 10 support.
Large-scale Midi monitor.
Floating Peak Meter.
Context-sensitive Project hierarchy.
Sample list for easy browsing and searching.
Library and user bank export for Yamaha Montage.
Optimized activation process.

https://samplerobot.com/collections/samplerobot-product-lineup/products/samplerobot-pro

There's also a Montage Edition they partnered with Yamaha on:

#2949941 - Today at 05:31 AM Re: Sample Robot [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S„o Paulo, Brasil
Thanks for bumping this tread. I went to dowload the free montage version yesterday and I was thinking - "Where have I seen this being discussed?".

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner