Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2921434 - 04/14/18 12:50 PM OT: Art Bell has passed
DaveMcM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cincy, OH, USA
Art Bell has left the desert

For years Coast To Coast AM has kept me awake on late night drives home from gigs. Although he hasn't hosted the show for quite some time, I still remember Art Bell taking some of the craziest calls but still treated the callers with respect.

KC Island
#2921437 - 04/14/18 01:13 PM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: DaveMcM]
PianoMan51 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cabin In The Woods
Originally Posted By: DaveMcM

For years Coast To Coast AM has kept me awake on late night drives home from gigs. Although he hasn't hosted the show for quite some time, I still remember Art Bell taking some of the craziest calls but still treated the callers with respect.

They finally came to take him home.

#2921446 - 04/14/18 03:06 PM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: PianoMan51]
Dave Keys Offline

Loc: Birmingham UK
Sorry to hear this. He's not known in the UK but I've recently been listening to his infamous John Titor/Time Travel Coast to Coast shows on youtube - great radio! Must've been even better to be listening late at night after a gig.
Roland Jupiter 8
Roland JX3P

#2921448 - 04/14/18 03:22 PM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: Dave Keys]
Shamanczarek Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: NJ
The bumper music alone was reason to tune in to his show.

[video:google]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwLplqH2rXMwhDigeoXgU0oLdK9pW2bn9[/video]

Edited by Shamanzarek (04/14/18 03:33 PM)

#2921456 - 04/14/18 05:25 PM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: DaveMcM]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis

I had just read of his passing about an hour ago, and said almost this EXACT SAME THING to my wife. Weird. Kinda creepy. And yet, how appropriate... RIP Art and thanks for keeping me awake & alert on so many late, long drives home.

#2921457 - 04/14/18 05:32 PM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: mcgoo]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
W6OBB SK

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73 | DSI OB-6

#2921473 - 04/14/18 07:58 PM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: JazzPiano88]
Radagast Offline

I smell a conspiracy.

#2921477 - 04/14/18 08:36 PM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: DaveMcM]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings

For years Coast To Coast AM has kept me awake on late night drives home from gigs.

Me too. Still does. One of the FM stations plays old shows late Saturday nights. Its funny hearing ones from the 1990s talking about cell phones and other newfangled inventions. I enjoy the guy who took over for Bell, George Noory, also.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2921505 - 04/15/18 05:12 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: Synthaholic]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
RIP Mr Bell.. You were an engaging, strong minded entertainer.
And cool bumper music too. His predecessor is very vanilla by comparison.
Noory .. was on the air Friday when he received the devastating news. He was really choked up, but said Bell and he had had disputes, but said Bell was responsible for his
having the show today. I miss Art Bell's pungent approach ... being so tired of the vanilla we get now.. 24 7. Long live the pungent among us.. Reeze and Sven

Edited by I-missRichardTee (04/15/18 05:14 AM)

#2921519 - 04/15/18 08:03 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: I-missRichardTee]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
He was great, RIP in the cosmos Mr. Bell

#2921528 - 04/15/18 09:04 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: I-missRichardTee]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee
RIP Mr Bell.. You were an engaging, strong minded entertainer.
And cool bumper music too. His predecessor is very vanilla by comparison.
Noory .. was on the air Friday when he received the devastating news. He was really choked up, but said Bell and he had had disputes, but said Bell was responsible for his
having the show today. I miss Art Bell's pungent approach ... being so tired of the vanilla we get now.. 24 7. Long live the pungent among us.. Reeze and Sven

Things got really "political" a year or two ago when Art started up "Midnight in the Desert". Things got pretty ugly and Art gave the show to his producer.

If you like a rougher edge than "nice-guy" George, check out "Ground Zero" with Clyde Lewis.

#2921529 - 04/15/18 09:05 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: waygetter]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Loc: Mainland Florida
Art Bell was the best. I thought he left the desert a long time ago moving to the Philippines after Ramona passed. Didn't realized he moved back to Pahrump.

Hale Bopp, the Taos hum, his show was so much better than Alex Jones'. A lot more fun. I absolutely detest Noory.

I'm sad that he missed the coming global superstorm. He seemed really jazzed up about it.

73 Mr. Bell, 73

#2921531 - 04/15/18 09:13 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: DulceLabs.com]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I can't bare the vanilla tone of Noory. Maybe it is my innate east coast born BS detector.
But I am tired of lies; and that includes my own.
I wonder.. what is really behind (my interpretation ) the mask. However, seeing many sides to Life.. Noory, DID show authentic sadness to Art's passing.. it was real.
And on at least one issue, which will not be mentioned here.. Noory, pleasantly surprised me in a shall I call it, non vanilla fashion.
But the TV set ( which I am mercilessly subjected to by roommate ) disgusts me to no end.
Late night dudes,, day time talk shows.. I just do not buy it. I do not feel truth on TV.
So we will as a consequence, sorely miss the sharper tones of Art Bell.

Re: George Noory's deeply felt emotion this past Friday,
The last time I was knocked over by a similar amount of genuine emotion from media.. was this

Edited by I-missRichardTee (04/15/18 09:21 AM)

#2921532 - 04/15/18 09:24 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: I-missRichardTee]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

I, too, listen to Coast to Coast on the late-night post-gig drives home. But I can only take it for a while before I have to turn to something else. The serious tone of slow talkers telling about some absolutely nutty encounter with aliens or paranormal emanations is entertaining for a while but eventually I need to listen to something a little more based in reality ... or just some nice music.

#2921535 - 04/15/18 09:31 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: El Lobo]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: El Lobo
I, too, listen to Coast to Coast on the late-night post-gig drives home. But I can only take it for a while before I have to turn to something else. The serious tone of slow talkers telling about some absolutely nutty encounter with aliens or paranormal emanations is entertaining for a while but eventually I need to listen to something a little more based in reality ... or just some nice music.

I will see you, and raise you one radio spot!
poke
When bored riding home, I will turn on talk ( other than coast 2 coast, if you get my drift) radio!!! I can stand it for about 1 minute, and so to speak slam the stinking radio dial off.
Such garbage we are fed.

#2921541 - 04/15/18 09:51 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: I-missRichardTee]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And now for two cultural icons from late 20th Century,
I present, Art Bell and George Carlin... Gentlemen take it away:

#2921551 - 04/15/18 11:46 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: I-missRichardTee]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Not to hijack the Art Bell memorial, but another great radio guy is Phil Hendrie. Not sure if anyone is familiar with him, some of the funniest shit ever.

#2921563 - 04/15/18 01:05 PM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: waygetter]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Id hear him in the 90s when I was working in LA and had home in San Diego on late drives. He was stone cold crazy imo. Made his career playing off delusional paranoid people. Not an endorser, not a fan. sorry to hear of his demise. RIP.

#2921618 - 04/15/18 08:01 PM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: MotiDave]
Toano88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Toano, Virginia, USA
I used to work midnight shift in the Air Force in the 90's. I enjoyed his show kept me awake when things got slow.

#2921626 - 04/15/18 11:39 PM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: waygetter]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: waygetter
Not to hijack the Art Bell memorial, but another great radio guy is Phil Hendrie. Not sure if anyone is familiar with him, some of the funniest shit ever.

One very funny guy, Mr Hendrie. His Argentine casanova Rudy
and his insecure about his sexuality guy
and his African American female..
One funny man.

He is alive and well

#2921640 - 04/16/18 05:04 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: I-missRichardTee]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Art Bell was THE BEST!
I will miss his vibe, but he is now part of the divine cosmos!
A life well lived!

#2921644 - 04/16/18 06:46 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: El Lobo]
Stokely Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: El Lobo

Ha, that was me too....he was a driving companion. I also could only take so much, not so much Art but some of the callers...but it was just a chill experience listening to him. These days audiobooks take up my drive time, and I love them-- I hate driving and never before in the past said "ah man, I wish I could drive just a bit more to see what happens!"

#2921710 - 04/16/18 10:45 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: Stokely]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

He was almost singlehandedly responsible for the whole Y2K phenomenon, which may have destroyed his credibility. All kinds of systems were supposed to collapse, but it didn't happen.

I was never much into UFO's either.

#2921718 - 04/16/18 11:19 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: LX88]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So Art got me $1000 for Y2K ha ha

#2921724 - 04/16/18 11:48 AM Re: OT: Art Bell has passed [Re: LX88]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: LX88
He was almost singlehandedly responsible for the whole Y2K phenomenon, which may have destroyed his credibility. All kinds of systems were supposed to collapse, but it didn't happen.

I was never much into UFO's either.

I recall it being just a bunch of entertaining late night wackiness, along with spooky music. It was fun on the occasional late night drive across the desert, or late night drive anywhere. Every night, there was some sensational global epic celestial alien event that was going to change everything forever. And of course, nothing ever changed. But you had to hand it to him, EVERY NIGHT, NIGHT AFTER NIGHT, a never ending stream of these fantastic stories. Like the other thread, I don't think he ever mailed it in... or did he?

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner