Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2921347 - 04/13/18 09:40 PM OT: weather
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Most people wherever they live like to joke about their local weather, but fact is that this time of year we all go through a lot of changes. Difficult this time of year in a 110 year old house to be energy efficient when it snows one day and is 80 the next. More complicated by winds, rain and tornadoes because when you could open the windows overnight to cool the house for the next day's blazing temps, you can't unless you want winds blowing rain inside your house.

Reminds me of some of the recent stories of gigs from hell. I just wanted to point out that some of you really have it awesome in that you don't have to deal with these daily swings, but of course you have other challenges that I would never deny. My overall point is that we have to collectively understand that all of our circumstances are very different. I think we generally do a pretty good job understanding this, But something as simple as the weather can mean very different things if you're in the midwest vs coast vs Canada vs Europe The recent thread on gigs from hell brought this to my attention.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

KC Island
#2921349 - 04/13/18 10:53 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: J. Dan]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta

#2921353 - 04/13/18 11:46 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE

Well, I am sure you will be pleased to know the opposite is happening on the other side of planet. In Sydney we recorded our hottest April day ever on Monday, and records are being broken for number of consecutive April days above 30°C and nights with minimums in the low 20's.

Living the Aussie dream of the endless summer.

#2921371 - 04/14/18 05:19 AM Re: OT: weather [Re: Markay]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: athens, greece
Sometimes i feel really lucky to live round the mediterranean sea...

#2921377 - 04/14/18 05:56 AM Re: OT: weather [Re: yannis D]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
Weather patterns are changing. Whether you believe that is human-caused or not is a much more complicated issue, but it is generally accepted that we're seeing shifts occurring at a more rapid pace than is historically known. It should make everyone think about whether where you live now is going to be as habitable in 10, 15, 20 years. Canada is looking better and better.

roccoromanucci.com

#2921620 - 04/15/18 08:15 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: Adan]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nevada
I like Lake Tahoe.
I love all 4 Extreme seasons, extreme wind, extreme snow and extreme babes.

Gigs are all 3 nights a week now, not 6.
Everything is perfect...

Rain in Nashville was nice the first year after being in Vegas for 20 years.
That got really old as I drove everywhere.
Don’t think I’m leaving Nevada again.
It’s like Heaven here, even the Bears are friendly....

#2921628 - 04/15/18 11:53 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: hardware]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

It was 80 three days ago. Freeze advisory tonight.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2921637 - 04/16/18 04:27 AM Re: OT: weather [Re: J. Dan]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil
It`s been a warm fall here. Saturday hit low-80s. Today is high 60s (chilly for us... ), but that's the first day this year I think.

We don't temperature swings here that large (it will never get below low 50s except in the mountains), but the weather has been all over the place the past few years.

Rio is becoming unbearable in the summer. It was always hot in the summer (I grew up there), but it's getting out of hand. 100-110F with very high humidity for days does not feel very nice. People bring out their winter coats and scarfs when it's high 50s.

#2921647 - 04/16/18 06:53 AM Re: OT: weather [Re: Rod S]
Stokely Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Florida
I have begun wondering about timing on when to sell our investment properties in FL. We haven't even scratched the beginnings of possible climate shifts in the decades ahead, but the time to get out would be before it happens...of course, worrying about investment properties could be an extreme "least of worries" proposition!

I've got my eye on the twin cities. My dad grew up there, politically it would be (more) compatible for me, and it would be a big change from FL, where I've lived almost all my life. There are a LOT more IT developer jobs than Orlando from what I can tell, ,and the housing market seems very reasonable. Yeah, the first winter might kill me, but I've always liked the cold, and my kids do too. Though, moving kids in school on a whim is a tough sell...might have to wait until they are out the door, but at that point I will be at the age that most people flee the north for FL! grin

FL is a difficult place to gig in at times...there are a lot of outdoor joints and a lot of lightning storms with sideways monsoon rain. Most of the year, I am a sweaty mess if I go outside for even a couple minutes, so I bring 2 or 3 changes of clothes to gigs. I certainly don't have the winter issues that I hear from some of you, that's got to be tough carting gear on icy sidewalks wearing tons of clothes/goves etc...

Edited by Stokely (04/16/18 06:55 AM)

#2921648 - 04/16/18 07:04 AM Re: OT: weather [Re: Stokely]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
We had a supposed ice storm that was going to be the end all. They started showing stuff on the news from 1991 when we had a serious ice storm that really sidelined this area for months. Problem is that people see that and do not want to come out to your gigs. It turns out it wasn't even that bad. The media can over-inflate things and all of a sudden people are rushing to the grocery stores to get things like there is going to be a disaster or something. facepalm

noblevibes.com

#2921653 - 04/16/18 07:25 AM Re: OT: weather [Re: Outkaster]
Tom Williams Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Virginia
...and when they do go to the grocery store, one gets the impression that tomorrow is National French Toast Day.

In WV we tend towards the colder end of the USA, though with less snow than Rochester. Occasionally Elkins WV (20 miles away) is the coldest place in the continental USA.
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2921667 - 04/16/18 08:25 AM Re: OT: weather [Re: Tom Williams]
Musicale Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Naperville, IL
In DC last week and the weekend. 80 F. Now it's snowing in Chicago on April 16!

Crazy and I think scary.

Musicale

#2921678 - 04/16/18 08:50 AM Re: OT: weather [Re: Musicale]
stillearning Online   content

Snowing here too. NE Ohio. It was in the mid 70’s Friday. We’re on the second highest point in our county. We’ve had our share of tornados the last couple years.

Couple years ago I was driving home, maybe a block away, when all of a sudden, winds surround me, tree branches flying at the car, can’t see a thing. All I can think of ‘is the wife/house OK’? Get home a minute later. Nothing. Light drizzle.

Then last fall, quite the opposite. Heading home late from being out, and on our way we notice things are getting very dark. Street lights out, houses look dark, trees down across the road. Get home, and we’ve got a of damage. Large tree took out the deck, skylights damaged, roof damage, fences torn up, etc. You could see the path it took across the property. Insurance (State Farm) covered us, luckily. Came right out, assessed the damage and wrote a check. Even left the claim open for one year in case there was structural house damage yet to be discovered.

#2921685 - 04/16/18 09:15 AM Re: OT: weather [Re: Outkaster]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil
Originally Posted By: Outkaster
We had a supposed ice storm that was going to be the end all. They started showing stuff on the news from 1991 when we had a serious ice storm that really sidelined this area for months. Problem is that people see that and do not want to come out to your gigs. It turns out it wasn't even that bad. The media can over-inflate things and all of a sudden people are rushing to the grocery stores to get things like there is going to be a disaster or something. facepalm
Lived in Rochester from 1990 to 1995 (BS and MS in UofR). I remember that icestorm. Campus was a hazardous zone for a few days since large branches would fall off randomly. Hit some areas of the city bad, but on campus it wasn't too bad.

I always impressed how the city could handle bad weather will little impact on people's lives. In 5 years, only a handful of times I was not able to go about what I had planned because of weather.

#2921715 - 04/16/18 11:07 AM Re: OT: weather [Re: Rod S]
Jamie Finstad Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
12 C on the weekend, snowfall warning today!

Jamie

#2921742 - 04/16/18 01:36 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: J. Dan
Most people wherever they live like to joke about their local weather
I can't tell you how many different places that I've been where people will say, "you know what they say about the weather in [this place], if you don't like it, wait fifteen minutes and it will change" as if they're the only place that happens.

It's been nutty here lately, where for the past few weekends, the cold front blows through Friday night or Saturday AM, taking us from the norm to unseasonably cold. My wife and I cleaned up all the "cold" weather stuff a few weeks ago, and have had to dig into it since. We're not happy about that.

I love ya man, but I'd rather see you when you come this way than have to go up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2921752 - 04/16/18 02:12 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: Outkaster]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: Outkaster

I started college at RIT in 1985. My first impression of Rochester winters was seeing twelve foot snowbanks along the road shocked

Three month co-ops were mandatory with my curriculum. We had the option to double them up for six month co-ops. I did just that, scheduling them around the Rochester winters from December to May idea

#2921782 - 04/16/18 04:04 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: Joe Muscara]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
I love ya man, but I'd rather see you when you come this way than have to go up there.

You sure? Snowing again today, nice big flakes... hitt

#2921783 - 04/16/18 04:08 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: yannis D]
Music*aL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: yannis D
Sometimes i feel really lucky to live round the mediterranean sea...

You ARE lucky!!

Edited by Music*aL (04/16/18 04:08 PM)

http://oldmoneyjim.com/

http://soundcloud.com/six30jam

http://www.youtube.com/six30jam

#2921988 - 04/17/18 04:37 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: Music*aL]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
I clearly recall shoveling snow... one foot of it,,, the heaviest wet type.. on my music teachers
drive way... his whole driveway... in the month of April , back in New Jersey.
I also recall snow in Sept in Jersey.

We have recently had a 40 degree difference in temps, during a 24 hour period, in San Diego.

#2922000 - 04/17/18 07:16 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Tom Williams Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Virginia
After two inches overnight rain on Sunday, my school system just took two days off due to flooding. Just to keep it interesting, we also got two inches of snow.

I guess twos come in threes. ???
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2922002 - 04/17/18 07:30 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: Tom Williams]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nevada
10k Alpine craziness.
The hail and snow from last night melted today but made the bunny slopes fun.
I’m a green slope ski buff, played hockey in STL till I was 19 so I like long sight seeing green slopes.
But taking a out of people who never ski is so much fun.
I feel like Bobby Orr...

#2922009 - 04/17/18 08:58 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: hardware]
Polychrest Offline

Loc: Upper Canada
Our domed ballpark in downtown Toronto is supposed to prevent weather-related game delays and cancellations, right? Well, last weekend’s massive ice storm said screw that idea. Huge falling sheets of ice from the nearby CN Tower punched holes in the SkyDome roof on Monday—one of them 3’ x 5’—and made the area around the stadium unsafe for pedestrians. So Monday’s Jays-Royals game was....what, “iced out”? Had to play a double-header on Tuesday.

#2922015 - 04/17/18 10:28 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: Polychrest]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

Damn Canadians!

That's OK, our Cardinals game yesterday in Chicago got postponed due to weather.

I hope my humor doesn't come off the wrong way. I have reps I work with in Canada and we have a lot of fun at each others' expense, so that's where it's coming from.

#2922018 - 04/17/18 11:19 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: J. Dan]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I hope my humor doesn't come off the wrong way. I have reps I work with in Canada and we have a lot of fun at each others' expense, so that's where it's coming from.

Oh ya, you better apologize for that there, bud, or we'll take your timbits away and facewash ya in the dirty slush, eh?

#2922019 - 04/17/18 11:27 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: MAJUSCULE]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

Oh ya, you better apologize for that there, bud, or we'll take your timbits away and facewash ya in the dirty slush, eh?

LOL, so I always like to share this while messing with my Canadian friends:

That said, it's been a long time since I've experienced what I did in Edmonton this last year. I was sitting alone at a bar next to my hotel. A woman asked if I was interested in her friend. I said I was from out of the country so a relationship was impossible. She asked basically what about just for the night. Not a prostitute or anything like that. I'm just not used to that. I said no I'm sorry I'm just not into that sort of thing, though I have to admit it got me a bit exited, but I didn't partake. That was still though an experience I'm not used to.

Edited by J. Dan (04/17/18 11:29 PM)

#2922167 - 04/18/18 12:47 PM Re: OT: weather [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
That said, it's been a long time since I've experienced what I did in Edmonton this last year. I was sitting alone at a bar next to my hotel. A woman asked if I was interested in her friend. I said I was from out of the country so a relationship was impossible. She asked basically what about just for the night. Not a prostitute or anything like that. I'm just not used to that. I said no I'm sorry I'm just not into that sort of thing, though I have to admit it got me a bit exited, but I didn't partake. That was still though an experience I'm not used to.
Does that only happen in Edmonton? poke

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara

You sure? Snowing again today, nice big flakes... hitt
Actually, I enjoy snow, I just don't want to live with it and the cold. When I'm visiting, it's fine, even fun.

I'm trying to remember what it was like here when you posted that on Monday. 70° I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner