Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Seven

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would consider permanently attaching protection on the underside of anything that would sit on top of the Seven. I'd probably affix something eventually removable on the Seven, too.

No, I do not still have plastic on my lamp shades!

Here for the gear.

And the surface is quite sensitive for scratches. So, if you are thinking 30 days sending it back, maybe put some towel between;)
Great point, and somewhat betwixing (is that a word?). He makes the Seven knowing that many will put a Mojo on top of it yet from what I've read (although not actually seen) the feet of the Mojo stick outside the top of the Seven; so without material in between the top could get easily scratched. Why wouldn't you plan around that?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Back to this...

I now have played full seven hours with Seven, and I can fully understand the critical opinion in a first review here. I can confirm, that if you are seeking a best bossible fully graded hammer action, it's not there. Then maybe Kawai MP11 is a way to go.

Anyway, as said earlier, when you think Crumar is aiming for electric pianos both soundwise and looks, why should the action imitate Fazioli? I have owned Nord Electro 5 HP and Nord Sage 2 EX 76 HP. Even they both uses the same keybed, the one in Stage 2EX felt a bit more smooth. Don't know why, but that's how it felt.

So, the way Crumar connects to my playing is very near Nord Stage 2EX HP 76. That's not too bad.

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

The electric piano sounds were excellent. I like the sound of the Rhodes on the Crumar more than the new generation of Rhodes pianos. The Acoustic Piano sound was way too bright and.......Lame. That's a deal breaker.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Is the sampled piano in the Seven the same as the pianos in the Mojo61 and/or Gemini? (I don't know whether those two are the same as each other.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think the answer is yes. Crumar uses editor app familiar from Gemini, and there is the sample banks you can load to Crumar. I had Gemini two years ago, and as I remember the piano sample bank was the same. Useful, but not best in the market.

I dont know if discussed earlier, but you can not load your own samples. Just those which are in editors sample banks.

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

I asked when the Gemini card was released if they had any intention of supporting sf2 or offering a way for users to create or upload their own samples, open it to third party dev, etc. I recall it not being in the works but not impossible.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I asked when the Gemini card was released if they had any intention of supporting sf2 or offering a way for users to create or upload their own samples, open it to third party dev, etc. I recall it not being in the works but not impossible.

This would be a huge enhancement to the Gemini for me. Im either bringing another keyboard or an Akai sample pad with triggers to gigs depending on the need.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

Have to admit Nords acoustic pianos are a way better sounding at the moment. It's obvious - they have a huge variety very professionally sampled pianos by years of experience, and I think they are still refining new sampling technologies while Crumar took a leap to physical modeling.

This. But Nord has gotten long in the tooth with their Electric Pianos and clav. They had some amp'd EPs around 2014 and their 5MB clav is probably 8 years since updating.

(and why some roads lead to Kurzweil and Korg if you want good APs, EPs and some other actions besides TP/100)

Crumar Seven still looks really cool, though.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Have to admit Nords acoustic pianos are a way better sounding at the moment. It's obvious - they have a huge variety very professionally sampled pianos by years of experience, and I think they are still refining new sampling technologies while Crumar took a leap to physical modeling.

This. But Nord has gotten long in the tooth with their Electric Pianos and clav. They had some amp'd EPs around 2014 and their 5MB clav is probably 8 years since updating.

They've also actually removed some of the clav functionality, i.e. the Electro 5 no longer has all the original EQ options. But yes, that's why I was saying a Seven looks like a great companion for the Nord, as it has its strengths in the EP/clav areas where Nord has fallen behind. One might prefer the Mojo organ, but the Nord organ is still quite good. You still won't have state of the art rompler sounds (orchestral instruments, etc.), but for quality emulation of most vintage keys (along with piano, which is REALLY vintage) inside just two boards, with superior ergonomics, a Nord and a Seven might be state of the art. Stage if you need VA synth among your vintage keys, maybe Electro if you can get by without it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Nord released a Rhodes in 2016, and they all still sound great so I'm not sure what they can do to improve them. They have 8 Rhodes and 2 Wurlies available for download.

I agree on the clav- having key release and maybe a mute option would be nice- but the reduced functionality is really not an issue because you can use the eq knobs to dial in exactly what the eq buttons would do. I saw somewhere (can't recall right now where) someone had posted up EQ settings that emulated the EQ selections.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Nord released a Rhodes in 2016, and they all still sound great so I'm not sure what they can do to improve them.

If you think they sound as good as the EPs in the Seven (or Gemini or Mojo), then you're all set, but many people feel Nord's EPs are not as good as some others. Personally, I think they're okay, and I like them better than Roland's for example, but they're not my favorites. I like the Korg SV1 better, for example.

I agree on the clav- having key release and maybe a mute option would be nice- but the reduced functionality is really not an issue because you can use the eq knobs to dial in exactly what the eq buttons would do. I saw somewhere (can't recall right now where) someone had posted up EQ settings that emulated the EQ selections.

I don't think you can dial in the exact EQs, but there are approximations. But even then, it's a bit of a nuisance to have to dial in EQs rather than just call them up, and you can't be that precise with a knob on the fly. Really, even if you know what you're looking for, can you really reliably dial in, say, 4.3 kHz with the front panel knob, when the entire span from 4kHz to 6 kHz occupies maybe an eighth of an inch of travel? (We're also assuming that the Q of the Nord EQ matches that of the clav, that any bass or treble EQ of the clav is at the same frequency as the fixed frequencies on the Nord, etc.)

Nord released a Rhodes in 2016, and they all still sound great so I'm not sure what they can do to improve them. They have 8 Rhodes and 2 Wurlies available for download.

Nefertiti is a nice Rhodes. As to what they can do to improve them, for example, the Purgatory Creek sound set in my Forte are about 2.5GB for just a Mark 1, 200a, 140b, CP70, Pianet N and Clav D. There is not only a lot of depth, but longer samples and lots and lots of velocity layers.

I have figured out how to fill the entire Flash RAM with Scarbee Rhodes and it's just another level past Nord in hardware and seamless to load in from a memory stick to Flash Ram to play a gig with Scarbee entirely in hardware.

Is that "better" than the Gemini sounds in Seven? Maybe, maybe not. I just think either is better than Nord's EPs.

That's just me. Don't buy what I like, get what YOU like. Play and have fun. I'm not preaching or talking down anybody who is into Nord or Crumar by any means. I'm happy to hear a good player on any of these boards, really.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I had the NE5 and the Korg Grandstage side

by side for a while....

Really no comparison, the Nord Rhodes and Wurlitzer

are out dated, sorry.....

I had the Purtagory sounds on the Kronos in

the past, they're great.

The Scarbee is fantastic!

Korg put a downscaled Scarbee into the Module App,

I still hope they'll make a full version for the Grandstage too.

But it's the Seven thread and I have to say

I am impressed by the latest vids but I am not a fan

of the TP100 at all.....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

You

Crumar v. Nord EPs is no contest. Crumar houses the Nord. The SV-1 is better than the Nord. As a package the Nord Electro is solid but the EP's are not it's strong suit. Jack of all trades and all that.

I agree the Nord is a good all rounder. But stick the organ through a Vent and I think its pretty good. You can coax decent EPs out of it with careful application of EQ and drive. Considering the EPs are tiny by todays standards Im always surprised at how OK they sound. However, I struggle with clavs - FX like auto wah help.

But like the Gemini, the Seven EPs and Clav sound great straight out of the box.