Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Seven

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazz+ ACTUALLY wrote option to replace in an earlier post, not, offer as a user editable replaceable sound

Had he initially wrote the latter instead of the former, I would have not raised the point.

Option to replace makes no sense in the current Mojo architecture. As far as I understand, you can only replace a like instrunent with like. But, I only had 2 days with the Seven and 3 with the first Mojo61.

Actually, my comment was tongue in cheek, because I think it's ridiculous for Crumar to remove an organ sound from an organ-centric board to fit in the new piano, which we know was an afterthought to begin with.

Even on Nords, the only "menu" options you have are filling the flash ram with pianos and samples. The organs are fixed. Also I can't imagine a transistor organ taking up nearly as much memory as a modelled piano.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Actually, my comment was tongue in cheek, because I think it's ridiculous for Crumar to remove an organ sound from an organ-centric board to fit in the new piano, which we know was an afterthought to begin with.

Even on Nords, the only "menu" options you have are filling the flash ram with pianos and samples. The organs are fixed. Also I can't imagine a transistor organ taking up nearly as much memory as a modelled piano.

Dan said it way better than me!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

[video:youtube]

Gotta say I liked how that sounded a lot better than the prior demos (other than the 80s sounds, which are just not my thing).

I had it on in the background and thought I heard a Hammond-style organ. I didn't remember that being in the Seven? Must have missed that.

Gotta say I liked how that sounded a lot better than the prior demos

I had it on in the background and thought I heard a Hammond-style organ. I didn't remember that being in the Seven? Must have missed that.

Agree - sounds very good. Especially the Tines EP. I think the organ was part of the FM sounds (guessing based on the other sounds he was playing close to that time). Without understanding Italian, I can't be certain.

I just love the setting, when you can put your upper keyboard on lower without extra stands.

157126.jpg

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

Sweet!

But rather expensive way to get a better acoustic piano.....

No doubt. But it does get you your pick of their piano library and sample synth stuff (including a tool to add your own), a very good synth engine, and a competitive organ as well. You dont get anywhere close to it by sticking a Mojo61 on top. Unless, theres a single manual DMC in 73/76k with the full Gemini forth coming. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I just love the setting, when you can put your upper keyboard on lower without extra stands.

157126.jpg

Does the top of the Seven scratch easily when you put instruments on top of it? Or is it fairly scratch resisteant?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

What makes you think the Nord has a better piano? what's your basis of comparison?

My only basis is having a Nord Stage 2 HA88 and a Stage 3 Compact. Crumar has indicated that the acoustic piano in the Seven is not their first priority in an electric piano emulator. Only comparison I have is the piano in the Mojo 61 which of course is not relevant. Sorry.

Sweet!

What makes you think the Nord has a better piano? what's your basis of comparison?

The number of pianos offered by Nord makes the odds of finding one you like higher? Or that you can have a bunch of pianos with different characteristics loaded up at one time so you can choose which one you like based on the song?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

No problem, I thought maybe you owned both and compared both to a real piano to understand the differences. Guido's piano is modeled, the Nord is not. There are probably some nuances that Guido included in the modeling that Nord does not have because the Nord is sampled. And you didn't do a comparison of the two side by side. I just wanted to understand the basis of your statement. Thanks.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

No problem, I thought maybe you owned both and compared both to a real piano to understand the differences. Guido's piano is modeled, the Nord is not. There are probably some nuances that Guido included in the modeling that Nord does not have because the Nord is sampled. And you didn't do a comparison of the two side by side. I just wanted to understand the basis of your statement. Thanks.

From what weve heard from the acoustic piano in the Mojo61 and the Seven acoustic pianos is something Crumar needs to work on. Sampled, modeled or otherwise. In mixed band context where the AP timbre is tweaked and frequency range is narrowed then placed in a mix, what they have is probably good enough or even just right for some of us. But if you play solo there are definitely better options. Ill place the obligatory IMHO so as not to cause a riot, but Im sure Im not alone in this assessment until we hear otherwise. Im working on an appointment to sit at the Seven - when I do Ill bring audio of the AP and post.

Until I hear it myself and side by side with the Nord I can't make an assessment that the Nord is better. The comment made above was that the Nord is better. The basis turns out to not be a direct comparison, but word of mouth by people who never played it or own it. And perhaps Guido's assessment that it needs work means it's not of the same quality standard of audio that VB3-II is but maybe it is 8 of 10 in his book and "needs work" perhaps means getting it to 9 or 10 out of 10. In any event it is still not a basis for someone to claim the Nord is better because others (who haven't played it, nor compared it side by side) said they didn't like what they heard via a youtube video, probably listening to it through cheap earphones.... My two cents, which is all my opinion is worth.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

If you want a 2 keyboard rig, with the bottom being the Seven and the top being a combination of a clonewheel-level organ that also covers all the likely synth needs, then an NS Compact is the way to go, isn't it? The better clonewheels won't cover other bases nearly as well, while boards that cover the other bases as well or better than the Compact are will have organ that falls significantly shorter of clonewheel quality. Are there other good candidates for that role I'm forgetting?

I feel discussion about the Seven's piano, while interesting, is largely academic. From what I can tell, the piano sounds good enough for band use. It may not satisfy the pickier amongst us for solo use, but then those are likely to be the same folks who wouldn't want to play solo piano on TP100 action. There's probably a very small segment of players for whom the Seven is the right tool only if the APs are good enough to rival the best from Nord, Korg, Yamaha, etc. If you're Crumar, then the question is how much resources do you invest to try to appeal to that small (though possibly vocal) segment.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

If I was starting again a Crumar Seven under NS3 Compact would be my go to rig. A bit lacking in ROMpler sounds, but fun and vintage looking. If I wanted good rompler sounds I could just sample some of my software sounds and throw them in the Nord. For me, the fun, looks and playability would be the main thing.

Looks great. Nord seems a bit high in the photo though.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Sweet!

No doubt. But it does get you your pick of their piano library and sample synth stuff (including a tool to add your own), a very good synth engine, and a competitive organ as well. You dont get anywhere close to it by sticking a Mojo61 on top. Unless, theres a single manual DMC in 73/76k with the full Gemini forth coming. ;)

I like the Nord piano library a lot...so glad I got my Electro 5d/PX5-s combo going but I wouldn't have the dough to spend on rig like that! I would think the AP's in the Nord are better than in the Seven but I would have to play it . . .maybe surprised! But that is a very interesting rig for sure!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Sweet!

Or the other way around... a Seven is a somewhat expensive way for a Nord owner to get better EPs. ;-) Really, many Nord SW owners do use their Nord in conjunction with an additional hammer action board, and I could see Seven being one of the best options to put under that Stage 73. Great aesthetics/ergonomics, and does shore up an area where many feel Nord isn't quite first in its class.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If you want a 2 keyboard rig, with the bottom being the Seven and the top being a combination of a clonewheel-level organ that also covers all the likely synth needs, then an NS Compact is the way to go, isn't it? The better clonewheels won't cover other bases nearly as well, while boards that cover the other bases as well or better than the Compact are will have organ that falls significantly shorter of clonewheel quality. Are there other good candidates for that role I'm forgetting?

I feel discussion about the Seven's piano, while interesting, is largely academic. From what I can tell, the piano sounds good enough for band use. It may not satisfy the pickier amongst us for solo use, but then those are likely to be the same folks who wouldn't want to play solo piano on TP100 action. There's probably a very small segment of players for whom the Seven is the right tool only if the APs are good enough to rival the best from Nord, Korg, Yamaha, etc. If you're Crumar, then the question is how much resources do you invest to try to appeal to that small (though possibly vocal) segment.

Good points.

Other things to stick on top...

Forte 6 - if it ever shows up. PC3A6

Korg Kronos 61

I agree, NS3 is a great choice for combo clonewheel+synth. Other non-hammer-action possibilities would be Kronos 61 or LS, Kurzweil Artis7 or PC3K6/K7, Roland VR09/VR730, maybe Vox Continental, maybe FA-06/07. You're right that clonewheel quality would generally be considered sub-Nord, though you can also get around a lot of that with a Vent, and these boards have the advantages of generally better rompler sounds than Nord's (via multiple velocity layers). There's always a trade-off one way or the other. Other variables among these include what's available in terms of real-time synth sound creation/tweaking, split/layer functionality (some better than Nord, some worse), aftertouch, custom sample loading, and just how easy it is to integrate that Vent (assignable out best; ability to pan sounds to create a dual-mono setup for that dedicated organ out next best; no ability to route organ separately from other sounds worst).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Have to admit Nords acoustic pianos are a way better sounding at the moment. It's obvious - they have a huge variety very professionally sampled pianos by years of experience, and I think they are still refining new sampling technologies while Crumar took a leap to physical modeling.

So, while the other pianos in the Crumar are killers, physical modeling acoustic piano is not very useful. I see it as a game starter. But actually there is also sampled grand d in Crumar, which is way better.

And the surface is quite sensitive for scratches. So, if you are thinking 30 days sending it back, maybe put some towel between;)

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44