Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

Went back to the HX3 for awhile..... been getting great CV results, still on 4.22.

Been using an EQ amp. Boosting 3.3 KHz, which helps.

Also as stated earlier, I have been getting away from pulling drawbars all the way out, and am using 777000000 3rd percussion long decay instead. Helps smooth out the CV, and gets a nice scream in the top octave.

Also... have been using a Hammond XB-2 with the HX3. The drawbars work if you don't have it on split mode. To change percussion I have to use the dial on front of HX3 ( to get different presets with different percussion) but the drawbars do work for upper manual changes.

The XB-2 keybed is OK....in all honesty its a break from the tough action on the Legend Live ( or Crumar Mojo for that matter).I have an XK-2 but still haven't changed the damn battery when it went dead.

I have gone from a skeptic to really loving the HX3. The CV is now fine with me, but it took a long time to understand it. In that regard, The Legend Live is already dialed in.

I preferred the HX3 to last year version of the Crumar Mojo leslie sim. I kept the HX3 and sent the Mojo back. The HX3 sim had much more clarity, but is all fairness Crumar did do a recent update on their sim . It needed it.

Hey Joe, I was doing that for a while. I just don't hear what you and the other Hammond experts hear. Recently sold my HX3 after 2.5 years. I'm perfectly fine with my Mojo. No hiccups at all. Just use the Hamichord setting in the HX3 and everything is set up perfectly.
:nopity:

Hi Dave, I had a friend over yesterday who bought a beautiful MAG dual manual organ and we went back and forth comparing Crumar vs HX3 engines. Mag wins in top octave cream, but I plan on fine tuning trim trans and really find a gen model , cut/ boost eq that will get me there. Just need a little time. C V was great in Mag, but Crumar is too. We went through a 122 Leslie, Motion kp 500, and my custom 22 h speaker cab. Used Vent as the Mag has a mini built in; didnt use the hx3 sim. I might be in the market since the HX3 is compatible with my sk1 and Mojo. Always interested in improving/adding a worthwhile instrument but dont want a 1 trick pony; appears to be a decent upgrade without another hardware board. Best, Joe

OK, time to update my HX3 to 4.25

Do I use the Remote or the Flash?

It was quite some time ago I updated so I forgot lol :)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Looking at prices for the HX3 Drawbar bundle, Keyboard Partner has it at 861.68 = $1059.75

which includes DHL shipping Diversi wants $1291 not including shipping.

Anyone know why it's so much cheaper from Keyboard Partner?

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Looking at prices for the HX3 Drawbar bundle, Keyboard Partner has it at 861.68 = $1059.75

they cut out the middle man?

:nopity:

Any disadvantage to getting it out of Germany

Diverse is worth the extra dough.

Service is personal via remote software or send it in.

All issues have been fixed, shipping charges were cheap.

Going to buy the new Leslie emulation from TRacks to AB test it with Melda, Blue3 Lester K and Vent.

Its nice having so many options.

All have their own strengths.

Blue3s separate Leslie plug in so far is the best.

I run HX-3 mono out (No leslie emu) into it and is really nice, just trying to find the best fast rotor Doppler effect. Everything else tone wise is excellent.

But by far my favorite tactics are drawbar presets on my Physis K4 with precision swelling via Expression Pedal. Got to cover horns and piano so no time for one handed playing.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I only need a good clone and not particular about having a multitude of them or a

multitude of leslie emulations. The HX3 & drawbar controller bundle looks and sounds

like it will fit my needs, but paying Diversi that much more plus shipping doesn't seem

to fit my budget.

So here's my new incarnation for my MIDI set up, or at least how I think it should

work. Don't hesitate to tell me whats wrong.

Well apparently I can't post images or upload an attachment so I'll try a link

Don't use the quick default reply window, you have to hit the Reply button at the bottom of each post. That opens up the main Reply window with a row of icons across the top. One is for embedding vids and one is for embedding pics among others.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Don't forget that you have to pay US import duty and taxes if you order from Germany directly. Most likely these fees are not included in the Keyboard Partner export rates...

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Don't use the quick default reply window, you have to hit the Reply button at the bottom

of each post. That opens up the main Reply window with a row of icons across the top.

One is for embedding vids and one is for embedding pics among others.

Bob

hmmm, I usually just go to the bottom and click (switch to full reply screen) when

not quoting someone and need to add links and/or images.

T

Don't forget that you have to pay US import duty and taxes if you order from Germany

directly. Most likely these fees are not included in the Keyboard Partner export rates...

Yea, I've been sorting it out including the exchange rates, but still a lot less expensive.

T

• 4 weeks later...

Pulled the trigger on an HX3/drawbar Controller bundle. $1016.52 plus $8.64 in transfer fees.

Hi Mitch,

there were several hardware revisions over the years

mk1, mk2 (with 2 TRS outs for 4 outputs), mk3

and the actual mk4 Boards (with extension board connectivity)

with some small layout fixes over the years....

But always the same FPGA with the same code running

and a 16 bit DA output.

Sound is the exactly same on an old mk2 board or

an actual mk4 board.

AFAIK Carsten is actually working on a new

mk5 Hardware with bigger FPGA and (I guess)

24 bit bandwidth. Also on some possibilities

of expansion boards or more dsp power for reverb etc.

But nothing to speak of right now.

Time will tell..... but something is in the

making.

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

How well does the HX3 interface with the Nord Electro? I have a 5D.

It's not that I don't liket the Nord, it works very well for what I use it for...

But it would be nice to have the option of playing organ, and 2 other sounds (Piano and Synths).

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

I have no idea, Bill.

It's the question than if your Uhl (I sold mine)

could be upgraded. It seems that Uhl sold his

company.....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

The NE5 will work with the HX3.

I did a custom CC set when I had a NE5

here for testing.

PM me if you need it.

But yoo dont't have the high trigger point on

midi out with the NE5!

(and limited perc control)

Plugged my HX3 into my MiniVent tonight. Holy crap what a gnarly sound!

Not sure what I have set up wrong, but I can't get a clean sound out of it. I backed off on the preamp gain trim and leslie amp level and it still shreds. I may be overloading the input of the MiniVent.

I'd like to be able to reproduce this sound when needed, because it cuts like an Emerson/HiWatt powered leslie. But I need to get clean too!

Just working through the thread ,this is an older posting ...

Agree on most what you wrote under mojo comparison . It should work with the vent , there are clean audio examples . But should one use the pure organ output of the hx3 or including the amp sim without leslie sim ? How does it sound combining both amp sims ( backed off settings) ? Cheers

The NE5 will work with the HX3.

I did a custom CC set when I had a NE5

here for testing.

PM me if you need it.

But yoo dont't have the high trigger point on

midi out with the NE5!

(and limited perc control)

As I recall I had high trigger point using my E4D to trigger the HX3 module. But, only when the E4D had an internal B3 patch selected. Seems the NE5 may behave differently. Limited percussion control was really the only control limitation I experience.

I think it is the same on my electro 1 . The custom control set worked out of the box ( with the already mentioned perc exception) except the leslie speed control . Will check the trigger point again

I cannot relate to all the above comments, since to my ears SNIP

The HX3 top ocatve is still above the compitition where it has that extreme abilty to cut through any rock sound wall without ever becoming shrill.

I have watched all available Mojo vids and althaugh it has a warm jazz sound it becomes thin when used in rock settings.

Of course an online video isn't a good criteria, but it is something i can clearly hear in all Mojo examples...the top ocatve sounds a tad thin and shrill compared to the HX3.

Besides that i think the keyclick is absolutely killer on the HX3....SNIP

I can also relate to that , having tried both . Out of the box both need tweaking for my taste . Strong points of the hx for me are the top register and the attack , the mojo scores for my taste with a better C/V and -with average mono monitoring- better leslie simulation .On recordings i picked the mojo on 7 out of 10 tracks , the 3 I preferred the hx3 on were hard rock.I cannot play jazz organ(yet). just my 2 ct