Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2920660 - 04/10/18 05:42 PM New Discoveries in Old Songs
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Here is the example that prompted this thread: I sent a friend a youtube link for reference on a song he is producing. That video played out while I was typing and then Paul Simon's "Something So Right" started up automatically. I have heard that song 12 septilliondy times. This time, for the first time, l noticed that you can clearly hear Simon's metronome in the background throughout the introduction. Listen:

All this time and I'd never noticed that.

Have you come across any easter eggs in songs you though you knew everything about? Post 'em here.

KC Island
#2920674 - 04/10/18 07:10 PM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: MathOfInsects]
CowboyNQ Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Maybe 15 years ago one of the stereo speakers in my car went on the fritz.

David Bowie's "Space Oddity" came on the radio. I'd never realised how heavily panned the stereo effects were. It was like listening to a completely different song. Very cool!

#2920699 - 04/10/18 11:28 PM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: CowboyNQ]
Spider76 Offline

I only recently noticed the incredibly squeaky drum pedal on Since I've been loving you.

#2920767 - 04/11/18 07:06 AM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: CowboyNQ]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: CowboyNQ
I'd never realised how heavily panned the stereo effects were. It was like listening to a completely different song. Very cool!

On the way home from work yesterday a local fm rock station (KLOS) played "Hey Joe" I cranked it up and all of a sudden it was like Hendrix was in the passenger side back seat playing the guitar solo. Panned hard right and rear. I couldn't decide if it was a remix or if I'd never noticed before because I didn't have decent audio gear back in the day.

#2920789 - 04/11/18 08:33 AM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: Wastrel]
synthizen2 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
Maybe this has less to do with "unexpected easter eggs" than what goes on with re-mixes and radio edits, but...

I find it hilarious that classic-rock radio stations that currently play The Doors "Break On Through" will play the new remix with the word "HIGH" (as in "she get HIGH") now clearly audible and no longer removed from the vocal track...

While, at the same time, when they play Pink Floyd's "Money", they mute out the word "$h|t" (as in "don't give me that do-goody-good bull____").

Wassup with that double-standard?

#2920791 - 04/11/18 08:39 AM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: synthizen2]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
I love listening to familiar tunes on a better system than I'm used to for exactly this. Hearing extra layers and subtleties lower in the mix. Very exciting! twothumbs

#2920803 - 04/11/18 09:08 AM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Shamanzarek Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: NJ
I was listening to 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees The Moody Blues "Tuesday Afternoon" with headphones. In the second half of the song right when it hits the Ab chord there is an apparent flub where some dissonant notes are heard on the Mellotron which I never noticed before.

#2920804 - 04/11/18 09:10 AM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: MAJUSCULE]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
Doesn't everyone recall the first time hearing Beatle tunes played in stereo over a wide area (ie restaurant ceiling system) and just getting one side?

#2920807 - 04/11/18 09:20 AM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: synthizen2]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Originally Posted By: synthizen2
Maybe this has less to do with "unexpected easter eggs" than what goes on with re-mixes and radio edits, but...

I find it hilarious that classic-rock radio stations that currently play The Doors "Break On Through" will play the new remix with the word "HIGH" (as in "she get HIGH") now clearly audible and no longer removed from the vocal track...

Same with "stronger than dirt" at the end of Touch Me. I could swear that was not audible on my original vinyl.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2920810 - 04/11/18 09:27 AM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: mate stubb]
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Chicago/NW Indiana
This is going to be lame compared to the other examples here, but my daughter put, as a joke, "Best of Both Worlds" on my car playlist. I had not heard that song since it was the theme to "The Hanna Montana Show". So it's been about ten years since I would hear that song twice a day.

Since I only heard it on TV, I didn't realize how much synth there is in that song.

#2920835 - 04/11/18 12:04 PM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: zeronyne]
Music Bird Offline

Loc: America
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XLArlEdqF3o
I never realized that Soldier Of Love was mostly D-50 and S-50 presets and R8 drums until I listened to the extended. I also never realized the bass was a synth and bass guitar layered. In case you didn’t know, the chord stabs are a factory D-50 preset. Also, Fantasia. And S-50 strings, brass, hits, and solo. R8 for drums (or a cheap Roland electro drum kit with R8 samples).
iPad with synth apps, FL Studio, freeware VSTs, 37 key MIDI board.
Korg Minilogue

#2920847 - 04/11/18 12:45 PM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: Music Bird]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

I'm constantly struck by the difference between listening in order to be able to play a song, and just casually. "Jolene" has a bangin' groove that I didn't pick up on when I first heard it. Ditto "Son of a Preacher Man".

Cheers, Mike.

#2920848 - 04/11/18 12:55 PM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: stoken6]
tonybanksfan Offline

Loc: canada
I only recently discovered Rick Davies clavinet accompaniment to Roger Hodgsons Wurly on the outro of Supertramps Logical song. Heard the song thousands of times but never noticed.

#2920851 - 04/11/18 01:14 PM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: tonybanksfan]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
One way to get a surprise or two is to listen to songs on a nice system that previously you have only heard "back in the day" on car radios smile

Same goes for movies. I remember seeing Alien in HD after only ever seeing it on VHS. "Hey, this movie isn't just a bunch of dark green after all!"

#2920883 - 04/11/18 03:14 PM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: Spider76]
El Lobo Online   confused
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Spider76
I only recently noticed the incredibly squeaky drum pedal on Since I've been loving you.
Once you hear it, you can't not hear it and it's quite annoying.

#2920884 - 04/11/18 03:25 PM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: El Lobo]
Shamanzarek Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: NJ
May be common knowledge to some but I just discovered that Donovan is co-singing "Billion Dollar Babies" with Alice Cooper.

#2921776 - 04/16/18 03:54 PM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: Shamanzarek]
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NJ, USA
When I listen to isolated tracks of well known pop/rock songs, I am fascinated by how unimpressive a track can sound by itself, but how right it can sound in the finished mix of the studio recording.

Also, sometimes the part that I hear in the isolated track seems so weird that I wonder to myself how in the world the musician (or someone else in the studio) ever thought to play that.

#2921835 - 04/17/18 12:30 AM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: harmonizer]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: harmonizer
When I listen to isolated tracks of well known pop/rock songs, I am fascinated by how unimpressive a track can sound by itself, but how right it can sound in the finished mix of the studio recording.

Also, sometimes the part that I hear in the isolated track seems so weird that I wonder to myself how in the world the musician (or someone else in the studio) ever thought to play that.

Great observation. Absolutely: so many times I'll hear an isolated track and think, "This is a sloppy mess." But in the mix...perfect.

Isolated James Jamerson tracks are a great example. He seems so jittery and maybe even sloppy in isolation. In the mix: genius.

#2921908 - 04/17/18 09:48 AM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: MathOfInsects]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I think that about Marley. I probably know 50 of his songs as I do a couple tributes a year around his birthday in two different cities. I get used to playing it and I also have to review some things sometimes. I hear new things, new tracks or even different parts. Some artists are really deep...

noblevibes.com

#2921911 - 04/17/18 10:05 AM Re: New Discoveries in Old Songs [Re: Outkaster]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
I remember the first time I heard the bad tape edit in Mony Mony... eek

It can be a bit of a drag having your ears get better and better as you get older. It's amazing how differently I listen to recordings now - how easy it can be to pick them apart and hear how they were made...

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud MicrophonesCrumar/GSielysiaReverb FoundryRoswell Pro Audio

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner