Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2920593 - 04/10/18 12:00 PM Your First Guitar
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
I remember the day my first guitar came. It was a beautiful Harmony archtop ordered from Sears Roebuck catalog. Back then we didn't have a guitar store in town so it was ordered sight unseen.

The postman left a card in the mailbox advising me to go to the Post office to pick up the parcel. Man, was I excited. A shiny, new guitar in a case with a guitar chord book.

I had a ukelele and knew a little about strings, frets, tuners, etc.

Still have it after 70 years.

What's your story?

GP Island
#2920627 - 04/10/18 02:00 PM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
My first guitar was an old used Stella given to me by one of my uncles. It was a flat top acoustic that probably came out of a Sears catalog. I learned a lot on that guitar even though I was self taught... cool

Edited by Larryz (04/10/18 02:02 PM)

#2920633 - 04/10/18 02:11 PM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
My first guitar was a Stella as well. The Stella was impossible to play so I gave up on that instrument quickly, then my buddy sold me his 50's Telecaster which is the one I really began learning on.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2920648 - 04/10/18 04:32 PM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: desertbluesman]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
My uncle was a keyboard player in bands, and worked for a piano tuning & restoration company. He refurbished an old Kay acoustic for me to get started on. I didn't know any better, so it was enough to get me started. The fret edges were might rough, though, and I got a few cuts sliding up to the upper notes. Eventually the bridge cracked between the tuning pegs, and they would slip and not hold tune well.

Of course, I would occasionally sneak my brother's '79 Yamaha out of it's case and play that. As he only played for a year or so, he ended up giving me custody of it until he had need of it. I see him regularly, and over 25 years since he still hasn't asked for it back. I actually like to record with that Yamaha; it's opened up nicely.

#2920652 - 04/10/18 04:42 PM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: Danzilla]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

I found out pretty quickly the Harmony sounded pretty dead compared to the Martins and Gibsons my friends played.

Wasn't long before I bought my Gibson dreadnaught.

#2920662 - 04/10/18 05:52 PM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: DocPate]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

My first guitar was my brother's Teisco electric guitar. My parents bought it for him in the late Sixties, but after a month of lessons, he gave up and put the guitar away in his closet. In 1980, the economy was horrible, I was unemployed for most of the year, and I taught myself how to play his guitar since I had nothing but time on my hands. That guitar is long gone now, occupying space in a landfill somewhere.

#2920667 - 04/10/18 06:25 PM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: DocPate]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
First one I owned was a cheap Alvarez acoustic. Killed it in a year- the neck warped, and it was cheaper to get emplacement than repair.

As replacements, I got an Ovation Elite and a Washburn AE fretless bass.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2920678 - 04/10/18 07:34 PM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have a Stella that one of my wife's Uncles left at her grandmother's house in my living room... kept in open D. It's a fun little guitar for slide.

My first guitar was the Global branded slothead acoustic I pinched from my sister when she let it collect dust in her closet.

First electric a few months after making enough progress that my dad was impressed and relented was a Memphis Les Paul Custom copy ( a Les Plywood Custom), paired with a Holmes Minipicker 12 amp, 15 Solid State watts, one 12" speaker... and it sounded pretty damned great turned all the way up... no master volume... I used to put it in the closet and bury it under blankets.

#2920692 - 04/10/18 10:10 PM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
My second guitar- my first halfway-decent guitar- was a Peavey T-15; it had a very short 23.5" scale-length, so I had to string it up with 11's and have preferred 11's ever since. It had a sustaining, upper-midrange heavy tonality due in part to lots of maple (mine had a hard-rock maple neck AND body, though I believe that some had ash bodies, albeit dense, hard heavy ash), a metal nut and heavy cast bridge-assembly, and blade-poled ferrite-magnet single-coil pickups, paired with the full, fat fundamental-strong voice of its extra short scale-length.

My very first guitar was an absolutely horrid, nearly unplayable string-breaking piece of driftwood bearing no make or model that was likely an early torture device put out by what became Ibanez.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2920714 - 04/11/18 04:02 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
What! AGAIN?

*sigh* OK-----

An all plastic TOY kinda thing made by EMENEE( the little plastic electric CHORD ORGAN folks) and bought at the local S.S. KRESGE store. Plastic body( more "normal" sized than one would think), neck(even the "frets" were molded from the plastic the "fingerboard" was made of) EVERYTHING plastic but the TAILPIECE, which was some almost "foil thin" kinda metal. Fanciest thing I remember about it was that it WAS an archtop with "f" holes. wink

Except for the dark brown "fretboard", the thing was all BEIGE colored. And I had to "make" my own "strap" out of a length of TWINE! grin
Whitefang

#2920747 - 04/11/18 06:05 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Mine was a Truetone(?) IIRC, little cheap Acoustic from Lafayette Radio Electronics (remember them?). About 8 years ago, I gave it to a niece who was learning Guitar, as it was still playable, and a good size (3/4?) for her. Don't know what became of it after that, but it had a good long life, at least.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2920774 - 04/11/18 07:34 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: Winston Psmith]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Mine was a Truetone(?) IIRC,

Western Auto stores. Pretty good beginner guitars.

#2920781 - 04/11/18 07:59 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: DocPate]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A Giannini nylon-string. I still have it, but it needs a new saddle. Bad.

#2920782 - 04/11/18 08:00 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: DocPate]
Castelhone Offline

Loc: Portugal
My beloved Alhambra 3C just died on me a few days ago... Thirty years, so I got emotional about the thing and wrote a poem:

"Oh, my Alhambra!
My vibrant twin mate,
my consort, my resonant soul gate!
Look at you, devoted, frail and torn
from too many glory days, now gone...
One last time we wandered together,
for that hindmost song to let us remember!
Rest now, quiet, silent and still.
You've earned my heart...
no other ever will."

Feel free to make a song with it.
[img:center]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4XB3J1dvGJdamZRT29VeU9NVGhOTFdQQlVOeUJIV1I2cklr/view?usp=sharing[/img]

#2920802 - 04/11/18 09:07 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: Castelhone]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Mid 1960s my brother had one of those truly crapulous Harmony Stellas sold by Sears, & that was my first guitar experience. When I decided to buy my own I found a used Melody-branded Teisco for $40. Garbage, & I probably spent as much time on my father's Giannini classical, which he still has, & which is still a cheap, lousy guitar. Then a cheap used Imperial bass, probably made by Teisco or whoever was making Kent & St George instruments. After that I've mostly had pretty decent guitars.

#2920836 - 04/11/18 12:05 PM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: Scott Fraser]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

I'm amazed at how many started out with Sears.

Edited by DocPate (04/11/18 12:21 PM)

#2920901 - 04/11/18 06:17 PM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: DocPate]
spiral_light Offline

Loc: Out there, somewhere...
Oh, my first guitar, I remember it well. I think. Started playing my mates Encore crap Strat copy. Later, via my 17 th birthday (later starter me) I got the classic pairing of a metallic purple Marlin Sidewinder (with cheese wire for strings and a string height you could hide a fuzz pedal under) paired with the much maligned (for many reasons) cheap crap amp (name alludes me). My mate lent me his JHS distortion pedal that only sounded good when turned up to 11. At least to my teenage ears.

#2920911 - 04/11/18 09:22 PM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: spiral_light]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I started out with Mom and Dad's guitars. My first guitar was a Japanese built copy of a Gibson Hummingbird that was bigger than I was. LOL My first electric was a 65 Fender Mustang. It is still at Mom and Dad's in the case under my old bed. I got in High School and I got an old Strat that was my first full scale electric. I still have it. It's probably worth more than my cars. At the time it was just an old Strat. My guitars outperformed my 401K.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2920941 - 04/12/18 03:37 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: DocPate]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: DocPate
I'm amazed at how many started out with Sears.

Yeah, well a LOT of us spent a LOT of time at Sears bangin' on their axes. wink

Hell, every now and then they had at least ONE with more than FOUR strings! grin

Man, those store display axes looked like they've been through a WHO concert! grin
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (04/12/18 03:37 AM)

#2920961 - 04/12/18 05:32 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: DocPate]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
My first guitar was a no-name piece of junk that my parents bought for me. I was 14. My guitar teacher took the "instrument" and changed it from an unplayable steel string monstrosity to a nylon strung guitar that was actually playable.

In 1965 my folks bought me a Harmony Sovereign acoustic. It was their top of the line guitar and I loved it. By then, I was taking lessons from Jerry Ricks and he sent me to a violin maker in South Philadelphia to have the action lowered. I mention this because the violin maker asked me to play for him. He said, "how can I know how to set the action if I don't hear you play?" It's funny how I remember this interaction after all these years.

#2921052 - 04/12/18 11:20 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: Fred_C]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Fred_C
...I was taking lessons from Jerry Ricks and he sent me to a violin maker in South Philadelphia to have the action lowered. I mention this because the violin maker asked me to play for him. He said, "how can I know how to set the action if I don't hear you play?"

Brilliant- and something that should be obvious and routine in such situations.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2921170 - 04/13/18 04:25 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

O-kaaaaayyyyy.............

Does this mean we're moving on to everybody's second or third guitars?

Or what? wink
Whitefang

#2921205 - 04/13/18 07:47 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Why not? My second guitar was an electric Silvertone another uncle sold me for cheap along with a small amp after hearing me try to play my 1st guitar LOL! It was a Godsend...I could actually hold the strings down easily and even play that difficult F chord! It was an ugly purple colored guitar with a lipstick tube pickup in a Telecaster shaped body. Fretboard was rosewood with a maple neck. I wish I still had it just to hang on the wall. My 3rd guitar was an Kawai MIJ that had 3 pickups and a whammy bar. Sunburst. Found it in a Pawn Shop for $25 bucks. The selector switch knob was missing so I found a big red one at an electronics shop and I was in business! The amp I had was too small to keep up with the bands' volume, so I just plugged into the extra input on my buddies Fender Deluxe Reverb amp. Then when we got a bass player, I would plug into the bass amp and borrow my Dad's Gibson 330...this was back in '65. The 1st Stella guitar was back in '61 or so... cool

Edited by Larryz (04/13/18 04:45 PM)

#2921224 - 04/13/18 08:41 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: Larryz]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
I started learning on my fathers gibson concert that he played in the family band in the 40's and 50's. Then my brother and I got Teisco hollow bodies that were total crap for Christmas about 1966 or 67. In about 1970 I bought a Fender Cornoda II from a pawn shop ($250) and thought I found heaven. Still have that one. Jim

#2921290 - 04/13/18 02:07 PM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: jimmac]
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Chicago/NW Indiana
1982, there's an ad in the local paper advertising guitars for sale. I end up going to this guy's house, and he has me wait in his foyer. He keeps going into his garage and pulls out one guitar at a time (I think he was importing grey-market guitars by the shipping container from Korea). The fifth one he pulled out was a NEON orange Cort with black hardware...basically a "Super" Strat. $99.00. It weighed a ton, and the EMG knockoffs were anemic. But I loved it. A girl I was dating ended up taking it with her when we broke up.

#2921366 - 04/14/18 04:44 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: zeronyne]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Well, OK....
MY 2nd guitar, while mostly WOOD, wasn't really all THAT much better. A small bodied off brand( no name on the headstock) with the only plastic this time being the tabs on the tuning keys. With a FLAT fretboard. I think it set my folks back a "whopping" 15 1964 dollars. IF that. wink
Whitefang

#2921392 - 04/14/18 07:02 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: whitefang]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

I still have my first and second guitar...do you?

#2921410 - 04/14/18 09:07 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Nope, Back in '72 I bought my second acoustic guitar that I still have hanging in my music room. The 1st one that I had back in '61 finally fell apart back in '83 as I had it hanging out in the garage. I should have framed the pieces LOL! The second one has never been in a case and has suffered much abuse over the years at campouts, beach parties, BBQ's, etc. I call it my Willie Nelson. I still pick it up and play it now and then just for kicks... cool

#2921432 - 04/14/18 11:54 AM Re: Your First Guitar [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Naw. That old plastic Emenee job quickly hit the curb, as did the second cheapie once I got my '72 Epiphone FT-145 for Christmas that year. In fact, that 2nd was in such bad shape I really had no reason to keep it as long as I did.
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose