Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2920358 - 04/09/18 02:01 PM FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY!
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/fle...ocid=spartandhp <---Here's the story. I know they can always do a show with or without him as they have the chic vocals that are just flat fantastic. However their logic sucks IMHO, and next time they come to town, I won't be buying a ticket. It's too bad as I truly enjoyed their show the last time I saw them live, about a year or so ago...

Without Lindsey (a true guitar icon that made them what they were IMHO)...they can just find a different fan. Thanks for the memories though! cool

Edited by Larryz (04/09/18 02:04 PM)

GP Island
#2920360 - 04/09/18 02:12 PM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Well Fleetwood Mac was great before Lindsey came along. They had Peter Green who wrote Black Magic Woman which was made famous by Fleetwood Mac and then Santana. However when Stevie Nicks and Lindsey came along the band went into super star status with the release of the Rumors Album.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2920393 - 04/09/18 03:34 PM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Lindsey shares a lot of his guitar strategy and playing lessons on YouTube for free. I like that in a superstar. The other thing that I have read about him, is in all the songs he recorded with Fleetwood in the studio, he went back and worked on them for countless hours until he could re-produce them live on stage as close as possible for the fans. That's why he has so many amps and speakers set up on stage with combo foot switching. I find that to be a ton of hours invested just to please the fans and provide the best sound he could. I was in awe when I heard and watched him do it live! I will truly miss him as part of the lineup...so much so, that I will just wish the band good luck. I'm sure with all the digital stuff out there, the two replacements will be able to capture some of his sound...but not his heart... cool

Edited by Larryz (04/09/18 03:36 PM)

#2920486 - 04/10/18 04:54 AM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Well, in reading the article, I noticed it mentioned that HE left the band back in '87. So I'm guessing they couldn't work out the differences this time and he was told to take a hike. But I'll say this.....

I never really cared too much for the '70's incarnation of the band. A bit too "plastic" and "poppy" for my tastes at the time( and remembering the early GREEN days too well), but they DID do a few tunes I DID like a lot, and it DOES turn out that THOSE tunes were Buckingham compositions, so.....

smirk
Whitefang

#2920521 - 04/10/18 07:41 AM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I got to see them when Christine McVie rejoined the band and I was happy to see them all back on the stage together again. Too bad they are losing Lindsey, but all good things must come to an end. I wish the band continued success... cool

#2920527 - 04/10/18 08:29 AM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Mike Campbell is one of my favorite guitarists! Neil Finn is one of my favorite singers and songwriters!

This doesn't make sense to me.

Buckingham is uncompromising and perfectionistic... and I think it comes down to him - while speaking of this as probably a farewell tour - wanting to finish a new record and do new songs, and the Nicks just wanting to do a greatest hits farewell thing, and he's made a second career of being awful to her in band relations so I think he got nasty and the rest of them finally stood up to it.

But there's still no reason they should do it...

#2920666 - 04/10/18 06:15 PM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: p90jr]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

First off, I am not a Fleetwood Mac fan. I didn't even know about their tour, not that I would have gone to see them. I do not personally know any of the band members. But I do have decades of experience in dealing with people, and I have a pretty good idea of what might have happened. Most likely, Lindsey was getting under the skin of more than one bandmate until finally they decided he could and should be replaced.

#2920677 - 04/10/18 07:25 PM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: Sharkman]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Was Lindsey Buckingham Fired from Fleetwood Mac? A source weighs in...

Last summer, the group coheadlined with the Eagles the “Classic West” and “Classic East” festivals in Los Angeles and New York, respectively. The dates landed smack in the middle of a tour by Buckingham and Mac keyboardist/singer Christine McVie — who were supporting a new album they’d made together after reports that Mac singer Stevie Nicks no longer wanted to make albums with the band.

Asked by the Los Angeles Times about the nostalgic nature of the “Classic” concerts, Buckingham said, “It doesn’t necessarily speak of the aspiration to present anything in the way that Fleetwood Mac would want to present it on its own terms. I was going to put it less diplomatically, but I stopped myself,” he said.

“Do the undiplomatic version,” McVie said. “What were you going to say?”

“I was going to say, ‘Just close your eyes and take the money,'” Buckingham answered.

A source close to the situation tells Variety that although the group was on a high note after the MusiCares event, and had announced last spring that it planned to tour this year, Buckingham was reluctant because he wanted to focus on solo material. The other four bandmembers — Nicks, McVie, bassist John McVie and drummer Mick Fleetwood — were eager and ready to tour, and after failing to obtain a commitment from Buckingham, told him they were proceeding with plans to tour without him. Suggestions that the group make an announcement along those lines were not acted upon.

#2920716 - 04/11/18 04:10 AM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: p90jr]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Seeing as how the band was pretty much all busted up at that point, it appears more that Buckingham wasn't rehired more than that he was "fired".
Whitefang

#2920790 - 04/11/18 08:34 AM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: whitefang]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think the band probably meant to tour without him... something they've done without other members, and maybe the press ran wild with the "fired" thing... they'll correct it if they can still tour together in a couple of years.

I bought Stevie Nicks last record at a closeout on vinyl and it's very good... Dave Stewart from The Eurthymics served as producer and musical director, but it's all old songs she'd written that had been unused throughout the years. Then we went to see her live (mainly to see The Pretenders, who were opening and who I'd never seen live though I'm a big fan) and it was pretty great, but felt like a "so long, thanks" kind of thing... she even mentioned "this is the last time anyone in this city will hear this live" a couple of times when introducing songs. And, her voice isn't what it once was, really... it was great to watch Waddy Wachtel rock out on guitar.

On the other hand, Buckingham has gotten more prolific than in his "prime" years... and the stuff is really good. I spent yesterday revisiting his recent solo records and the Buckingham McVie record, and they're good. I never thought about how much some of his stuff sounds like Neil Finn in Crowded House, but I have to say now it makes sense why they would ask him to fill Lindsey's vocal shoes (he's no slouch as a guitarist, either, though not the extended soloist that Campbell and Buckingham can be...).

Anyway, I guess it comes down to what your prioritize at age 69 (for Buckingham and Nicks, older for Christine, McVie and Fleetwood)... new creative artistic endeavors or adding to your millions by playing songs from 40 years ago... it seems Buckingham was odd man out in pushing for the latter.

By the way, if you've never seen it... just Buckingham and a guitar is a band's worth of music sometimes.

#2920818 - 04/11/18 09:59 AM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Great concert! Lindsey does a great job on stage connecting with the audience (when I saw him with Mac he gets right up front and lets people get a good look at his guitar work). His singing is good and his guitar playing is great! He does a cool solo act in that video P90. I think he and Christine may break away and start a duo some day. They wrote some good songs together... cool

#2920943 - 04/12/18 03:44 AM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: p90jr]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

razz
Stevie Nicks' voice not what it once was, eh?

I guess that's all subjective. For instance, IMHO, "Not what it once was" can only be an improvement! wink
Whitefang

#2920957 - 04/12/18 05:22 AM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: whitefang]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: whitefang
razz
Stevie Nicks' voice not what it once was, eh?

I guess that's all subjective. For instance, IMHO, "Not what it once was" can only be an improvement! wink
Whitefang

I have to agree. Throughout her career, her singing sounded just a bit flat to me. Although I liked the sound of the band, I never cared for her solo singing.

#2920973 - 04/12/18 06:24 AM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: Fred_C]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
My opinion-her voice was perfect when the song was right. `Landslide` is a fave of mine, `Rhiannon` is another. I believe she is a smoker, that is a problem. I saw an interview where she laughed, and sounded like an emphysema patient. Joni too, they need to get off that crap.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2920985 - 04/12/18 06:55 AM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 Skip, Landslide and Rhiannon are fantastic hits and Stevie did a great vocal on them. I'm a sucker for raspy voices like Havens, Cocker, Dylan, Joplin, etc...When I saw Stevie about 2 or 3 years ago, she still sounded great to me and the audience still loved her. cool

Edited by Larryz (04/12/18 07:38 AM)

#2921039 - 04/12/18 10:38 AM Re: FLEETWOOD MAC FIRES LINDSEY! [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Anyone who knows much abt the bandmembers on a personal history level knows this whole thing is based on the shifting alliances within the band's players, w/no small amount of it being down to LB's sometimes abrasiveness & the ultimate decision making of Fleetwood.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose